• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

EH? I was interested in Inquisition until I read that, what do you mean?
Inquisition is packed with content, but a lot of those sidequests are MMO-like quests."Go to X and kill Y people", "Take X from A to B", "Collect X for Y amount" ad infinitum, something like these.

Dr Dogg

I really liked The Bridge. It was quite short (well I didn't do
the mirrored section
) but really had me scratching my head a few times. Really captured the Esher and Penrose look and definitely in the design.

Thanks for the detailed post Dogg.

No probs.

RPS article about the lack of recent Ubisoft games on SteamUK: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/12/03/why-arent-ubisoft-games-on-steam-uk/

Well at least they didn't tell John to go buy them on Uplay like I got twice.

Arthea

That's some amazing character creator!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vp8v44iriyU

Groupees Be Mine mystery game is Surgeon Simulator
(눈_눈)

the mirrored section
) but really had me scratching my head a few times. Really captured the Esher and Penrose look and definitely in the design.

Apparently, we are really bad at this geometry, gravity and imagination stuff, because Turf complained that this game is too easy! imagine that ;)

derExperte

SURPRISE

ModBot said:
Instructions for derExperte:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (derExperte, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Surgeon Simulator 2013 -- MB-BCC64B5B03EFC8F7 - Taken by cardinalmind. 1 entrants total.

t1417611970z1.png

I recommend against using OBS as a recorder. If your talking about streaming to twitch or hitbox or something..than yes I highly recommend it.

Lol, me, I just configured it this morning, but for local use, not streaming. Just check on Yutube, there are several videos, if you need help shoot me a PM.

If you have a Geforce GPU then you can use Shadowplay to record your gameplay

Thanks for all the answers. I would use it for recording and I'm on an AMD GPU so Shadowplay is not an option.

Now that I think about it, the real problem is the size of the recorded file. I don't know what to do to compress it without loosing quality

Deques

Yeah I saw it in GeForce Experience the other day, pretty neat. Is that considered the best/popular way of recording (e.g. What Youtubers typically use)?

Of all the video recorder I have used, (Fraps and PlayClaw), I find that ShadowPlay is the most superior one. The video files don't get large and you don't notice any lag during gameplay

Thanks for all the answers. I would use it for recording and I'm on an AMD GPU so Shadowplay is not an option.

Now that I think about it, the real problem is the size of the recorded file. I don't know what to do to compress it without loosing quality

Handbrake is a good software to compress the video files without any great loss of quality
https://handbrake.fr/

Derp

Yeah I saw it in GeForce Experience the other day, pretty neat. Is that considered the best/popular way of recording (e.g. What Youtubers typically use)?
It's really really good IMO. Probably one of the best. And it has a near zero performance loss, so i would personally argue that it's the best. It's really awesome. I love the the fact that it's on the in the background so just in case you do something awesome, it will record the last few minutes (specifically, the length you specify in the settings).

I really love it.

redlacs

the mirrored section

dont get fooled by the name,
its not like mirrored tracks in racing games. the maps are mostly identical with added challenge, like additional menace balls or even two characters to control!
its where the level design really started to impress me, when i saw most of the leves could be used in more than one elegantly clever way

Is there anyone that uses Open Broadcaster Software for recording games? I'd like a tutorial on how to configure it

you want to use obs for local recording?? obs is good for that but you need to do quite a bit of configuration especially if your cpu isnt that good , if you want something that requires less configuration you can use mirilis action or something else

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member

Korean MMO?

It is hilarious that they show the minutia of the character creator and immediately after that show gameplay with a character in full armor and a helmet.

yeah, Black Desert Online
I wish we had a lot of games looking like that with such character creators in the west and not MMOs...
Even more I wish we got that too amazing to be real Korean Diablo on steam, in English too.

Its cool.

But there appears to be no uniqueness in that game, that is kinda apparently from the movement you exit the character creation screen and into the game.
.everyone starts with the same armor set (according to their class)
.the enormous amount of time you spend at the facegen screen, is thrown away when you see multiple copies of the same char running across the screen with the same motioncapture/animation sets and even the same armor (pretty sure that the face details aren't so impacting outside the facegen screen)
.you've seen one character doing all the fancy attacks, imagine 5-10 of them doing the same on your screen (and across the landscape area near you)

The game needs more variety in the following areas
.different animation sets for the same class (character template)
.diverse/random armor set tints/colors
.different animations for attacks for the same class (lets call it style)

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
please, take more than one

Note: Kingmaker is a paid DLC to a free game, so you can use it even if you don't already have the base game

What bundle was Darkest Hour from?

thanks for birthday greets, means a lot.

now everyone get back to playing teleglitch, the 2014 2013 goty.

Late, but Happy Birthday!

Its cool.

But there appears to be no uniqueness in that game, that is kinda apparently from the movement you exit the character creation screen and into the game.
.the enormous amount of time you spend at the facegen screen, is thrown away when you see multiple copies of the same char running across the screen with the same motioncapture/animation sets and even the same armor (pretty sure that the face details aren't so impacting outside the facegen screen)
.you've seen one character doing all the fancy attacks, imagine 5-10 of them doing the same on your screen (and across the landscape area near you)

That is disheartening to hear. Too bad the facial tech is being wasted because the dev's haven't spent time to differentiate the other aspects of the game.

I wanna go back home and play more dragon age origins :( I don't remember enjoying it this much when I originally got it for ps3. Wish the ultimate edition went on sale for $5 or the combo with da2 for $10, I'm going to want more when I'm done, I know I am.

Isaccard

Some pretty exciting releases this month. Just grabbed Red Faction: Guerilla Steam Edition before heading out to work. Goodbye GFWL, you won't be missed.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
That is disheartening to hear. Too bad the facial tech is being wasted because the dev's haven't spent time to differentiate the other aspects of the game.

I am sure the game will have unique equipment pieces one can wear somewhere down the time investment, but..I am not entirely convinced that highlighting the facial tech over other aspects of the game is the favorable (in my opinion).

Few of the single player RPG games I've played, facegen made the impact because there is only one character (as such) while playing and some of the games made clever use of it by tying the cinema moments or non-combat elements to showcase your personalized character.

In a MMO, I am not sure if they can dedicate such direction to showcase the characters face in a spotlight (while all the other social and MMO elements are warranted to be spammed onscreen).

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
I would definitely buy it, the animations are superb and the content can't be described in any other way than "kawaii".

Look at this Kawaii Shit, LOOK AT IT!

jb3QSoesuT82C.jpg
Yeah, I always found vw buses to be cute. I would like to mod one someday with a better engine.

Dr Dogg

dont get fooled by the name,
its not like mirrored tracks in racing games. the maps are mostly identical with added challenge, like additional menace balls or even two characters to control!
its where the level design really started to impress me, when i saw most of the leves could be used in more than one elegantly clever way

Hahaha ah that makes sense. So I've technically not finished it, yet.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Abomination, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Pinball FX2 Doctor Strange -- MB-E1B4F0727F68AD6C - Taken by Florida Man. 3 entrants total.
Pinball FX2 Balance of the Force Pack -- MB-AA850A3AC16759F2 - Taken by darkchewie. 3 entrants total.
Pinball FX2 Excalibur -- MB-A159F004CB2574F1
Pinball FX2 Mars -- MB-7054218D1A7A8E08 - Taken by Deques. 1 entrants total.
Pinball FX2 Captain America -- MB-E938EA3058E1D2F5 - Taken by Zeeman. 1 entrants total.
Pinball FX2 Civil War -- MB-6B8BB99C19A9D556 - Taken by NightmareTrigger. 1 entrants total.

t1417624270z1.png
For all the pinball lovers out there.

How did I miss every single Sonic Generation giveaway.. :(

EH? I was interested in Inquisition until I read that, what do you mean?

Inquisition is packed with content, but a lot of those sidequests are MMO-like quests."Go to X and kill Y people", "Take X from A to B", "Collect X for Y amount" ad infinitum, something like these.

I think it's more like AC fetch quests than MMO. I play a lot of MMO, but DAI quests aren't similar as they're not on trails. Most MMO quests are on trails, the further you travel, the higher the level of the quests & enemies.

Its cool.

Uniqueness is pretty much the problem that every MMOs have.

I'm intersted on your variety suggestions though:
Different animations for attacks for the same class, is there any game out there yet?
Let's not talk about MMOs, is there any single player game that have achieve that kind of feat yet?

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
I'm intersted on your variety suggestions though:
Different animations for attacks for the same class, is there any game out there yet?
Let's not talk about MMOs, is there any single player game that have achieve that kind of feat yet?

Kingdom of Paradise for PSP, I can create my own attack style from the set pieces..upto an extent.

Kingdom of Paradise for PSP, I can create my own attack style from the set pieces..upto an extent.

Cool. Any other games, especially RPGs?
I think it's a cool feature that every RPG should have. far as I remember, most single player RPGs still don't have that unique attack style for each characters. Implementing it to an MMO though, will be a very difficult task.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Cool. Any other games, especially RPGs?
I think it's a cool feature that every RPG should have. far as I remember, most single player RPGs still don't have that unique attack style for each characters. Implementing it to an MMO though, will be a very difficult task.

For an online game, Dota 2 already has quite a lot of unique animation sets/attacks/particle_effects.

SRC: http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Customizations

Example an item called Mania's Mask on the hero Drow Ranger, changes her idle animation. SRC: http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Mania's_Mask
(it is subtle, but an excellent addition)

Edit: My favorite, Abaddon's Mistblade.
"Unlike other weapons for Abaddon, Mistblade does not disappear when Abaddon moves out of aggressive stance."
SRC: http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Mistblade

Top Bottom