• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

Arthea

Is the US economy in the gutter or what? Game prices have been steadily increased across the board...
Also the $1 = 1€ rule need to die.

we need to make a stand, it won't change until we buy games priced like this. Not only we need not to buy them, we need to let publishers know why we don't buy.
not gonna happen, I know (><)

Wait what? I'm fairly new to steam, why will it get pulled?

two words Acti and license. It explains everything!

derExperte

Last year Deadpool disappeared only months after release because the license expired. Now some expect the same since Korra is from Activision too. Me? I'll wait for 75% next year.
Let's say 50 during winter, that's okay too.

Deques

It is published by Activision, the master of licensed games. Previous games that were pulled were Deadpool (I want it!!!) and 007 Legends. They only haven't been available in Steam for more than 6 months...

I'm a sucker for cute girls
[IMGhttp://asset3.neogaf.com/forum/image.php?u=94836&dateline=1412685338[/IMG]

Hey, first time that I have been avatar'd :D

Vazduh

Unlimited multiplayer access to TrackMania² Stadium and ShootMania Storm until April 2015!

Free access to TrackMania² Canyon & Valley and all community-created content. Unlimited for 48h after registration. Daily time limit after that.

Free using their client.

Corpekata

Banned
Activision recently made new deals with Nickolodeon so it is unlikely to be a repeat of the Marvel situation. It isn't like with Marvel and James Bond where they had a license for years that was petering down.

Granted, in a couple years it'll probably be an issue, but unlikely to be this year.

trackmania seems like a game that would do really well with a F2P model of some sort. Maybe just one track for free and then you pay to unlock access to user tracks, or let users sell their content while getting a piece of the action.

It just seems like they've let the whole thing die with TM2, which is a real shame.

I own Deadpool!

In fact I think I have it installed...
Stupid fun game, repetitive gameplay.
2037DAF5CE524CDF97CB550FF2CD8AC9C5E7731B

210900AD55233751D7F10C53D6D547CEFB81962C

DE65BD43390BAC47BA4EB62454D19C931A01A121

E84C3444A7186CCEBEA955A26716F29CCDED4F0A

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF

Q: What can I expect?
A: A free heist and some other goodies! Make sure you scroll on the website and check out our lovely little Xmas jingle.

Q: How much is it?
A: Free.

Check out the website above and get back here again tomorrow for the final day and release!

Q: Can I watch the video on Youtube?
A: Yes! Watch it here!

Dr Dogg

Well what a great way to piss about during lunchtime by banging my head against the wall trying to figure out what on earth Pillars of Eternity is doing when rendering at a resolution higher than 1920x1080. UI cutoffs, scaled up assets, overlapping prompts, misaligned cursor prompts. Only way I could get 2560x1440 to register was by making a custom res of 2576x1449 and then due the pain in the arse that is the scaler on Apple monitors would cut on and off due to being out of range. Well it is a beta after all. Might try a sprinkle of GeDoSaTo magic when I get home as I recall Durante saying Unity does something rather funky.

Woah man, your avatar is a mess in dark theme!

Yeah had a bit of a PC shuffle and my avatar's PSD was on my old work PC which is now under a bunch of shit in the garage and being a muppet didn't dropbox it. So slapped up something quick and dirty for crimbo via searching for what I used last year via Google image search and all that came back was this horror. Looks alright on my posts when I'm signed in. I'll get to it some time when I stop being lazy!

Of all the video recorder I have used, (Fraps and PlayClaw), I find that ShadowPlay is the most superior one. The video files don't get large and you don't notice any lag during gameplay

Handbrake is a good software to compress the video files without any great loss of quality
https://handbrake.fr/

It's really really good IMO. Probably one of the best. And it has a near zero performance loss, so i would personally argue that it's the best. It's really awesome. I love the the fact that it's on the in the background so just in case you do something awesome, it will record the last few minutes (specifically, the length you specify in the settings).

I really love it.

That's very good to hear about ShadowPlay. I'd like to try it some day. I used to record my full playthroughs of some games to VHS on NES and Mega Drive when I was young, and then sit and rewatch them or attempt to get others to watch them, lol.

Edit: I wanted to ask what is recommended to use for saving uncompressed screenshots from games?

The base game with one table is free.

And the bundle is still running. https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

Everything for the game is "DLC." The base game is free and you buy tables.

Oh I'm in for the Star Wars table then. The Force Awakens trailer has ignited the dormant SW fan in me!

I'm holding myself from saying how much I like the looks of some games from recent giveaways because I don't want inadvertently to cause more people to become interested in them which makes my chance of winning any of them smaller... everyone does that, right? <_<

The reception was mixed. I personally liked it a lot (and I never watched the show)

It's a budget title and it shows, but if you can get past that (recycled enemies are its worst sin, I'd say) then you will probably enjoy it.

Cool, I've heard mostly good things but I have never seen the show. Sounds Like I'll be able to enjoy it regardless.

dani_dc

Started South Park, got a couple hours into it.
The writing is pretty good, and I love the graphics, the combat system isn't too bad but it lacks variety, or at least it takes quite a bit to start introduce techniques to allow for variety. Despite having played two hours the combat system hasn't fully opened up yet.

As a result of that I'm feeling a bit uninterested in the game, it was as if I did the same exact thing for 2 hours in a row, same fights, same tactics. Reminds me of Costume Quest in that sense, which was pretty much the same from beginning to end.

So far the promise of more South Park writing is keeping me going, but if the battle system doesn't get a bit more interesting I can see myself having issues continuing in a few more hours.

Anteater

IS that Korra game good?

It's a watered down action game with a lot of repetitive elements and "gimmicky" sections that are not very fun, but I think overall it's enjoyable if you're into 3d action brawlers/beat'em'up, it's worth playing, but not something you'd return to because the same 2-3 punching bag enemies can get old, it's fun enough for me to play through twice but that's also mostly because half of the game on its first play through had most of the mechanics locked, it was more fun on a replay.

The writing is pretty good, and I love the graphics, the combat system isn't too bad but it lacks variety, or at least it takes quite a bit to start introduce techniques to allow for variety. Despite having played two hours the combat system hasn't fully opened up yet.

As a result of that I'm feeling a bit uninterested in the game, it was as if I did the same exact thing for 2 hours in a row, same fights, same tactics. Reminds me of Costume Quest in that sense, which was pretty much the same from beginning to end.

So far the promise of more South Park writing is keeping me going, but if the battle system doesn't get a bit more interesting I can see myself having issues continuing in a few more hours.
I found myself only able to play it in small sessions, until i put about 4 hours into it at the end to finish the game. It's good, but severely overhyped. I would describe it as a mediocre south park episode meets an above average paper mario clone that somehow feels too long for a 10 hour game.

Also, bleeding bleeding bleeding bleeding. almost everything can be killed swiftly with bleeding.

Jawmuncher

Battle system is definitely more involved on higher difficulties or if you aren't over leveled.
I was doing the same thing just kinda going through it until a bit in where I needed to better plan out battles. I recall I was in the middle or a bit past where I enjoyed it more.

dani_dc

I found myself only able to play it in small sessions, until i put about 4 hours into it at the end to finish the game. It's good, but severely overhyped. I would describe it as a mediocre south park episode meets an above average paper mario clone that somehow feels too long for a 10 hour game.

Also, bleeding bleeding bleeding bleeding. almost everything can be killed swiftly with bleeding.

That's doesn't instill much confidence in me. I'll keep my play sessions short if that's the case, don't want to burn out of it too fast.

I had heard the game was closer to 15-20 hours though? Part of my issue is that in 2 hours I barely advanced in the game, just got done getting to Token house. Though I have been going into every house I can find.

Glad I went for a thief then! I should be well on my way to make everyone bleed.

Battle system is definitely more involved on higher difficulties or if you aren't over leveled.
I was doing the same thing just kinda going through it until a bit in where I needed to better plan out battles. I recall I was in the middle or a bit past where I enjoyed it more.

Now this is more reassuring to hear! I'll be hoping that my experiences mirrors yours.

Jawmuncher

That's doesn't instill much confidence in me. I'll keep my play sessions short if that's the case, don't want to burn out of it too fast.

I had heard the game was closer to 15-20 hours though? Part of my issue is that in 2 hours I barely advanced in the game, just got done getting to Token house. Though I have been going into every house I can find.

Glad I went for a thief then! I should be well on my way to make everyone bleed.

Now this is more reassuring to hear! I'll be hoping that my experiences mirrors yours.

I think that length is if you do everything.
Took me 6 hours just following the main story.

Pay it forward making people do work

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Risk of Rain -- MB-90387F972605CD73 - Taken by Pranay_

ModBot said:
Instructions for MMBosstones86:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys and 1 other items. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

ulgzbKC.png
Blue Rose (Desura) -- MB-484809EAA8C189F2 - Taken by Jason Frost
GRID -- MB-1DF625BC53660F8C - Taken by Atraveller. 4 entrants total.
Surgeon Simulator -- MB-C7B43A2BDF4237D0 - Taken by Mr. Doop. 4 entrants total.
Betrayer -- MB-0732933791DC45E9 - Taken by Htown. 1 entrants total.
Half Minute Hero -- MB-4CC708B180C4976A - Taken by Accoun. 1 entrants total.

t1417624511z1.png

ip1HhQ44rY47T.gif

Top Bottom