• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

Jawmuncher

Welp

Dying Light System Requirements

MINIMUM:

OS: Windows® 7 64-bit / Windows® 8 64-bit / Windows® 8.1 64-bit
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-2500 @3.3 GHz / AMD FX-8320 @3.5 GHz
Memory: 8 GB RAM DDR3
Hard Drive: 40 GB free space
Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 670 / AMD Radeon™ HD 7870
Sound: DirectX® 10

RECOMMENDED:

Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-4670K @3.4 GHz / AMD FX-8350 @4.0 GHz
Memory: 16 GB RAM DDR3
Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 780 / AMD Radeon™ R9 290

http://store.steampowered.com/app/239140/

Hoping this is a case of them going overboard.
I bought the game already and got the ram. But looks like my 2gb 660 is gonna run this like ass.

Welp

MINIMUM:

RECOMMENDED:

Thank god I don't like techland games, those requirements are insane.

Dr Dogg

What are the chances Dying Light will have stuttering issues out the gate? Well pretty much every Chrome engine game has for the first couple of weeks so odds are high I guess.

the cutscenes in DAI are locked to 30, so it's not your rig having issues with that

I'm not that silly. I've got no faith in developer implemented artificial locks and got rid of that asap but I run out of GPU grunt anyway and will only get 4-6 average fps above 30 tops in cutscenes. Probably due to DOF appears to be more aggressive and maybe used dynamically in cutscenes as well as getter scene complexity. Any heavy effects works and seeing as I'm on the power limit (92-97% GPU usage in most cutscenes) I'm dropping to 20-25 average so for consistencies sake it was either 1920x1080 at ~50fps or 2560x1440 at a stable 30fps bar a few dips here and there during cutscenes. No stuttering, no hitching, no mouse issues. Though I understand we've all got our tolerances but checking my frame times briefly it's pretty bang on a 33.3ms update.

jmizzal

Welp

MINIMUM:

RECOMMENDED:

Do games really need to have all that, I understand bringing specs up but thats ridiculous

Tecl0n

Welp

MINIMUM:

RECOMMENDED:

jesus. i'm somewhat thankful for all the late ports now.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So it's not a skin but a real alternative to the steam client? Wow. Great work.
Can you already share a bit about performance improvements of your client?

It's not a new client nor a skin. It's a completely separate program that you can launch that (while running) adds Enhanced Steam to any HTML web requests received from the Steam servers. This means it works in the Steam client, Internet Explorer, older versions of Opera, Safari, Firefox alternatives, basically anything.

Performance wise it's faster than the browser plugin. Since it's literally injecting the script into the response headers, it functions as if Enhanced Steam was put there by Valve themselves.

Pakoe

Welp

MINIMUM:

RECOMMENDED:

16 GB RAM
Jlaw-okay.gif

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
I want steam streaming to add bitrate options as a viewer. During last night's stream of that bread game, my stream cut out due to the high bandwidth.

DoA5 kind of infuriates me... it makes me wonder why the best of the Tecmo games aren't on PC... and also makes me lament that Namco hasn't put Tekken on PC yet. I'm sure it makes VF fans salty too in a way... since Sega seems to have forgotten that people might buy that if it was released (personally, it'd be another money sink for me as an investment to get Bayonetta and Vanquish...)

Why are games with anime art styles so popular on steam?

Why is anything anything?

What in particular has you wondering this?

Baby steps mate, let the Winter Seal end and then maybe SEGA'll announce their next port/classic.
Please be Yakuza 1+2 HD. Please be Yakuza 1+2 HD. Please be Yakuza 1+2 HD.

Hrrrmmm... no.
Again --Vanquish and/or Bayonetta, please.
You can get your niche Yakuza games in time, friend-o.

Tizoc

Hey Sega, you could still release Virtua Fighter 5 on Steam with online at launch and I'd consider it a victory for you guys.

Baby steps mate, let the Winter Seal end and then maybe SEGA'll announce their next port/classic.
Please be Yakuza 1+2 HD. Please be Yakuza 1+2 HD. Please be Yakuza 1+2 HD.

madjoki

Maybe it means Dying Light can use 16GB if available. It's open world game, so in theory it could just load bigger portion of map to memory for less object pop-in and higher draw distances.
As if, but let me dream...

It's not a new client nor a skin. It's a completely separate program that you can launch that (while running) adds Enhanced Steam to any HTML web requests received from the Steam servers. This means it works in the Steam client, Internet Explorer, older versions of Opera, Safari, Firefox alternatives, basically anything.

Performance wise it's faster than the browser plugin. Since it's literally injecting the script into the response headers, it functions as if Enhanced Steam was put there by Valve themselves.
Wow. Sounds complicated to make this. Appreciated.

So when this program will be out, there won't be any need for the ES browser addon anymore? We will just run the program, keep it running in the background and all - maybe even more ? - functionalities we are accustomed to will be available in our every browsers and the steam client?

Unbelievable work my man!

Why are games with anime art styles so popular on steam?

Because people want them?

DoA5 kind of infuriates me... it makes me wonder why the best of the Tecmo games aren't on PC... and also makes me lament that Namco hasn't put Tekken on PC yet. I'

I am sure it will come. Didnt Harada hint at that? I just dont understand why the japanese devs make these things a secret. The DoA5 sub is in the SteamDB since 5 months. Why not directly announce it when they announced the Ultimate Edition for PS4 and Xbox One?

Phawx

16 GB RAM
Jlaw-okay.gif

The problem for me is that my X5667 is slow comparatively.

Edit: Ugh. Just looked on eBay to see if there was any changes on a pair of X5690s.. There is no way I'm going to spend even $400, let alone $500, for 15% better single threaded perf.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Wow. Sounds complicated to make this. Appreciated.

So when this program will be out, there won't be any need for the ES browser addon anymore? We will just run the program, keep it running in the background and all - maybe even more ? - functionalities we are accustomed to will be available in our every browsers and the steam client?

Unbelievable work my man!

You'll still be able to choose whether or not you'd like the browser extension or the program. And (for now at least) the program will be Windows-only whereas the browser extension will work on any platform that has Chrome or Firefox with extension support.

Also, the desktop version (for the time being) will have a much more limited feature set. It'll take some time to get everything from the Chrome/Firefox version working in the Standalone application. Still, it brings a tear to my eye every time I see Enhanced Steam running in the client.

You'll still be able to choose whether or not you'd like the browser extension or the program. And (for now at least) the program will be Windows-only whereas the browser extension will work on any platform that has Chrome or Firefox with extension support.

Also, the desktop version (for the time being) will have a much more limited feature set. It'll take some time to get everything from the Chrome/Firefox version working in the Standalone application. Still, it brings a tear to my eye every time I see Enhanced Steam running in the client.
Alright. So browser addon it is for the near future then :)
But I totally commend you on the insane amount of effort, time and energy you are putting into this! This is totally high-quality CV material!
Keep on rocking coding!

derExperte

Steam Broadcasting destroys my performance, Ethan Carter suddenly went from smooth 60 to less than 30. I hope they can improve this.

Dr Dogg

Why are you peeps freaking out at a recommended amount of RAM? Not required but recommended. Wolfenstein could take system usage to in and around 10GB for me and Watch Dogs went over 12GB quite regularly and I wouldn't be surprised if Dying Light would use the RAM if it was there being an open world game and all but you know that 8gb will do and that's including your OS footprint which some do have lower than others as well as Windows being pretty smart about it when you're close to the limit. All I can think is finally 64bit take up is on the rise. It's better than being shackled with 32bit applications with only 2gb's of address space

Phawx

Dascu's game Malebolgia went live today.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/318860/

I assume its someone from in here who already posted the review?

I posted this a few months ago:

You can see my minamalist Let's Play (20~ Mins) of it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A4GNrhNkiI

Naturally the game isn't finished yet, but some of my early impressions:

Good pacing
Excellent atmosphere (and tension initially)
Lock-on targetting is spot-on (I realize that this is a point of contention, I am a huge fan of z-targeting and it's put to excellent use in Malebolgia)
Combat system is straight-forward and effective, variety stemming from enemies.

It's not finished but all the pieces that are there show a lot of promise. Flavor reminded me of the original Alone in the Dark with better controls, natch.

A lot of the difficulty in Wings of Vi comes from the way everything is designed.
Take this section for example.
ioKHplEQvk1Oe.png

Vi (the player-character) has a tall hit-box. It literally goes from head to toe. She has to get through through that narrow passage of spikes to reach the platform on the other side.

Vi has a double jump and a flutter, which is more of a horizontal floaty thing. Basically the solution here is to jump straight-up, flutter at just the right moment, then jump again to reach the platform.

Your timing has to be completely accurate, any deviation leads to death. This is how it goes for most of the game. Every platforming section has a fairly clear solution, but accuracy is everything.
The thing is, if the passage was .1 less narrow or Vi's hitbox was .1 size smaller, this section would probably be too easy.

I guess this is what frustrates me about hardcore platformers. There's typically only one way to get through them, and you have to retry dozens if not hundreds of times to find that one way.

Dascu's game Malebolgia went live today.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/318860/

I assume its someone from in here who already posted the review?
Fellow steam-gaffer and reviewer phawx has the game I see. But no playtime yet.

He posts reviews/impressions here regularly though. So it's just a matter of time :)

Dascu is a gaffer? Game looks super neat! Reminds me of Demons Souls.

EDIT: Phawx already here, hah.

Fellow steam-gaffer and reviewer phawx has the game I see. But no playtime yet.

He posts reviews/impressions here regularly though. So it's just a matter of time :)

Dascu is a gaffer? Game looks super neat! Reminds me of Demons Souls.

I remember watching the trailer like 1 year ago? Really looks great~

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Why are you peeps freaking out at a recommended amount of RAM? Not required but recommended. Wolfenstein could take system usage to in and around 10GB for me and Watch Dogs went over 12GB quite regularly and I wouldn't be surprised if Dying Light would use the RAM if it was there being an open world game and all but you know that 8gb will do and that's including your OS footprint which some do have lower than others as well as Windows being pretty smart about it when you're close to the limit. All I can think is finally 64bit take up is on the rise. It's better than being shackled with 32bit applications with only 2gb's of address space

All games should be built around the specs of my shitty rig, sorry bro.

madjoki

Probably because mentality of larger specs = worse port.
While taking advantage of high specs PCs is sign of good port.

Top Bottom