• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2015 - _ Diretide Greetings and Happy Holidailies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durante

Also, while one is obviously a more highly coveted PC port, it's somewhat interesting to think about the different approaches Capcom and say, Square Enix, take when it comes to engaging PC gamers.

I guess you could argue that MT Framework being so awesome makes Capcom's/wbacon's job easier in a sense, but his engagement with the PC audience is top notch. We have seen plenty of footage of the game running at all kinds of setups at all kinds of framerates. Even a fellow gaffer and MT Framework modder Sectus got his hands on the port and picked some apples.

While on the other end, the only updates about Lightning Returns after it's initial announcement seemed to come from Japanese twitter account in Japanese. You know, Japan, the big PC market. And those updates were about the delays. Zero engagement with the Western audience, where PC actually matters.
Yeah, it's ridiculous how little (basically 0) community engagement there is with some of these huge companies. Obviously it's not that damn difficult to get one or two motivated people to handle just a bit of marketing for your PC releases and to simply make sure that they fulfill basic expectations.

Jag

So what's the word on Sword Coast Legends? I remember there was some muted excitement before it came out. Something about a proper D&D co-op CRPG and all that. I look at the store page now and roughly half the reviews are negative and well, it's half off after 6 weeks. What happened here?

They completely botched the release with bugs left from the beta and problems with MP. After getting slammed on Steam, they eventually posted a State Of The Game. detailing new content and fixes to be rolled out:

However, early user impressions for Sword Coast Legends have been polarizing. While many players love it, it is clear that for many, Sword Coast Legends did not meet their expectations. For those who have expressed disappointment in the game, I have just one thing to say: "We hear you." We are a very small, independent development team, and we would not have made it this far without you. We thank you for your continued support. In D&D, the party is everything, and you are the best party to have, by far.

I played it a bunch on release (SP only) then shelved it for FO4. It's not horrible, but feels like a generic RPG and not very D&D. Its no TOEE.

Annubis

Begin posting Terminator GIFs now

If you insist

SX6eHjf.gif

Uzzy

Huh, SFV is coming to SteamOS and has native Steam controller support. Wonder if anyone's going to use it at a major, that'd be pretty cool.

I dont know what the current cost of humble bundle but they should do something like $10 preorder bundle and $15 if you want to buy the bundle after it is released.

Arthea

btw Lightning Returns sold only about 40K, 43,912 ± 5,019 to be precise, even 13-2 sold better and it sold poorly.
I remember it sold worst of the trio on consoles too, but surely it wasn't sub 100K, or was it?

Actually talking about 13-2, it's now almost at 250K, while FF13 getting close to the half of million.

tmarg

I dont know what the current cost of humble bundle but they should do something like $10 preorder bundle and $15 if you want to buy the bundle after it is released.

Buying games blind is dumb. I guess someone must be making money off of it, since all the bundle sites are trying to get in on it, but it doesn't really seem like a good deal for customers unless it's an absurd value, at which point the sellers wouldn't do it because they could make more selling normally.

The new VIP/Bodyguard system in GTA Online is pretty cool, I took a job as a bodyguard for a rich asshole and protected him and his yacht for about an hour while he smoked cigars in his hot tub, made almost $200,000. Not too bad for an hours work.

btw Lightning Returns sold only about 40K, 43,912 ± 5,019 to be precise, even 13-2 sold better and it sold poorly.
I remember it sold worst of the trio on consoles too, but surely it wasn't sub 100K, or was it?

Actually talking about 13-2, it's now almost at 250K, while FF13 getting close to the half of million.
Pretty sure FF13-3 was outsold by FFXHD in the states if im not mistaken. I dont remember the specifics of that stat but people used it to point at how much of a downfall the main FF series had seen over the years.

Arthea

Yeah, it's ridiculous how little (basically 0) community engagement there is with some of these huge companies. Obviously it's not that damn difficult to get one or two motivated people to handle just a bit of marketing for your PC releases and to simply make sure that they fulfill basic expectations.

It actually has nothing to do with PC, aside from their forums that nobody from SE ever really visits, there is no way to communicate with them and never was as far as I know, they aren't into socializing, like at all. Very similar to valve in that regard, when I think about it.

zkylon

zkylewd

was it well received? did regular ff13 sell well?

cos if neither of those are true i guess it kinda makes sense, specially how rocky the pc port was (at least base ff13)

Dr Dogg

Huh, SFV is coming to SteamOS and has native Steam controller support. Wonder if anyone's going to use it at a major, that'd be pretty cool.

I was dicking around in GG Xrd with the Steam controller earlier. Not as cumbersome as you might think. And let's be honest, if IV is anything to go by you probably wont need precise inputs to pull off specials. Plus the track pad is like the worlds biggest dpad, with high haptic feedback it's more than usable for me.

Buying games blind is dumb. I guess someone must be making money off of it, since all the bundle sites are trying to get in on it, but it doesn't really seem like a good deal for customers unless it's an absurd value, at which point the sellers wouldn't do it because they could make more selling normally.

I dunno Rust was in the bundle and it looks like its record low is not even that cheap

Corpekata

Banned

Of course it didn't sell sub 100k on consoles, just like FF13 didn't sell half a million and 13-2 didn't sell 250k.

Earliest figures for 13-2 on Steam were 150k 3 months after release. That means presuming LR gets to roughly 75k by late Feb, it'll be in line with the consoles sales percentage wise, as each one managed to sell like half of the previous games around debut.

LR on consoles was the worst debut of the entire franchise when it launched.

It is relatively normal given both 13-2 and LR were not very well received and had a large sales drop off on consoles where they debuted years earlier.

Dr Dogg

You should all move over here, where the government spy's on you first then tries to pass legislation when Snowden ratted them out.

SSPssp

tmarg

I dunno Rust was in the bundle and it looks like its record low is not even that cheap

The vast majority of the copies of Rust sold in the bundle will never be played. Obviously things change a bit if you are a collector, but frankly collectors are rare. The vast majority of people will be better served putting the $12/month towards games they actually want to play, even if those games aren't at a historic low.

Dr Dogg

Seeing as how it's automatically sorted into that category on Games/Library, yes.

Yeah I just saw it pop up under that tab. Guess this whole VR thing will get its hooks in to me eventually then.
GCHQ will remember that.

If you're reading this Theresa May. My emails aren't that interesting unless you're a fan of Bristol City, want golf tips or shop at Zavvi and need a discount code

chronomac

Come get it

ModBot said:
Instructions for chronomac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Only GAF members who are NOT junior members are eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

OlliOlli -- MB-D1865979080C7682 - Taken by eyeless

Haunted

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Haunted, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

OlliOlli -- MB-0441EA85C8DABA06 - Taken by Costa1774. 5 entrants total.

t1450383256z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom