• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2015 - _ Diretide Greetings and Happy Holidailies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ludens

Banned
I have finished reading the Witcher saga by Andrzej Sapkowski (excluding Sezon burz, still waiting for an italian translation here) and I need to say, I honestly prefer the narrative adopted by CDPR.
It's not a bad saga at all, but I think the pacing is really, really bad, here.
I honestly liked short Witcher's stories a lot, way much then novels. Doring the novels there are a lot of boring moments, if not totally useless. Sapkowski even forgot the whole
Wild Hunt story-arc
, it's not mentioned AT ALL during the final book, like if he forgot about that.
CDPR did an AMAZING job with Witcher 3, even if
the fact they basically "resurrect" Yen and Geralt is a bit forced, but at least it fits perfectly into what Sapkowski wrote. In the book basically Geralt dies, and Ciri teleports him and Yen to "another place", pretty much a paradise, in which they will live forever. Exactly what Tolkien did during the end of The Lord of The Rings: Bilbo and Frodo went to a "paradise" even if it's "physical", the place directed to the elves while leaving the Middle-Earth.

When the story focus on Geralt, Ciri Yen etc it's great, even if Sapkowski "abuses" time skip (in example
important events left hanging during the end of a previous book often find a quick explanation during the following novel, usually not too satisfying
way too much in my opinion.

I highly suggest the whole saga to people liking the games, even to people just interested in a dark fantasy, well written setting, but the books are far from being perfect. If you can, at least, enjoy the short stories, they are often
a revisiting of classic fables
, they are well written and with zero dead moments. In my opinion, here is where Sapkowki shines.

Haunted

I have finished reading the Witcher saga by Andrzej Sapkowski (excluding Sezon burz, still waiting for an italian translation here) and I need to say, I honestly prefer the narrative adopted by CDPR.
I honestly liked short Witcher's stories a lot, way much then novels. Doring the novels there are a lot of boring moments, if not totally useless. Sapkowski even forgot the whole
Wild Hunt story-arc
, it's not mentioned AT ALL during the final book, like if he forgot about that.
the fact they basically "resurrect" Yen and Geralt is a bit forced, but at least it fits perfectly into what Sapkowski wrote. In the book basically Geralt dies, and Ciri teleports him and Yen to "another place", pretty much a paradise, in which they will live forever. Exactly what Tolkien did during the end of The Lord of The Rings: Bilbo and Frodo went to a "paradise" even if it's "physical", the place directed to the elves while leaving the Middle-Earth.

When the story focus on Geralt, Ciri Yen etc it's great, even if Sapkowski "abuses" time skip (in example
important events left hanging during the end of a previous book often find a quick explanation during the following novel, usually not too satisfying

I highly suggest the whole saga to people liking the games, even to people just interested in a dark fantasy, well written setting, but the books are far from being perfect. If you can, at least, enjoy the short stories, they are often
, they are well written and with zero dead moments. In my opinion, here is where Sapkowki shines.
Well said and agreed, the short stories are by far my favourites, just giving glimpses into the Witcher life and featuring cameos from characters. The novels aren't nearly as good.

After being completely faithful in the first game, CDPR have built their own little story corner within the Witcher universe and I prefer their direction for the overall story as well. I don't think the resolution of the Wild Hunt as was super great and greatly preferred it when they were more ethereal and mysterious, but what can you do.

Ludens

Banned
After being completely faithful in the first game, CDPR have built their own little story corner within the Witcher universe and I prefer their direction for the overall story as well. I don't think the resolution of the Wild Hunt as was super great and greatly preferred it when they were more ethereal and mysterious, but what can you do.

Exactly.
Sapkowki never cleared what the Wild Hunt really is. I honestly thought they were ghosts looking for Ciri for unknown reasons, maybe to assume physical form thanks to her power. But at least CDPR, even if they solved the situation simply by saying the WH is a group of elves with magic powers, closed the arc. Sapkowski simply left that sub-plot floating around.

Jazz573

You know what I meant
image.php

:p

Wild Hunt story-arc

Witcher 3 has A LOT of tiny sidequests that are basically callbacks to books, it's one of the reasons why I enjoyed the game so much.

Ozium

Do you believe in the seal that is coming to our lives in but a scant few days time here on Earth or Mars or wherever you visit GAF and STEAM? The Gabe prowls amongst the stars of leprechauns and eats frigid oats from a barnacle's exhaustive filament. Praise be to the games that will grace our libraries and the thunder of the Gabe brings forth a calling of the greatest. To find and search for cards. The meta game of Steam Sale Seal of the time in which we all focus inherently on the goals of those who wish to be in the power of the righteous one the great one the Gabe one.

Pilot the armor of rainbows into the heavens of your iniquity, GAF, shudder the doorways of elemental clowns in the rigid atmosphere of destruction construction all aboard Spaceship Earth to find the mothership powered by steam and the tears of a baby toaster. The cards and emotes will rise forth from the ether into your personal mindspace to be assailed to the infinite cortex of our virtual reality. The seal beckons and laughs as he pokes his head into the ubiquitous crater of hysteria located in the tractor trailer of desire and sin.

tuxfool

Banned

They weren't faithful at all in the first game. At least not "completely".

The_Monk

Just received my code for Fable Legends Closed Beta. 13,8GB Download. I have no idea what to expect or even if I'm going to be able to try it out but for those interested, check your emails for the key.

Jazz573

Do you believe in the seal that is coming to our lives in but a scant few days time here on Earth or Mars or wherever you visit GAF and STEAM? The Gabe prowls amongst the stars of leprechauns and eats frigid oats from a barnacle's exhaustive filament. Praise be to the games that will grace our libraries and the thunder of the Gabe brings forth a calling of the greatest. To find and search for cards. The meta game of Steam Sale Seal of the time in which we all focus inherently on the goals of those who wish to be in the power of the righteous one the great one the Gabe one.

Pilot the armor of rainbows into the heavens of your iniquity, GAF, shudder the doorways of elemental clowns in the rigid atmosphere of destruction construction all aboard Spaceship Earth to find the mothership powered by steam and the tears of a baby toaster. The cards and emotes will rise forth from the ether into your personal mindspace to be assailed to the infinite cortex of our virtual reality. The seal beckons and laughs as he pokes his head into the ubiquitous crater of hysteria located in the tractor trailer of desire and sin.

You tried too hard. :p

Dr Dogg

Well I can now pull off fireballs on SFIV using the gyro of a Steam Controller. Took a bit of setup and tweaking to get it to a spot where I wasn't falling around every like kids in a game related TV advert but can pull one off 6-7 out of 10 times. Surprisingly it's easier for me one handed and just rocking the controller round in one hand. Dragon Punches are a whole different story...

Ozium

To imply that I am trying too hard implies that I am trying at all and such is a nonsense thing to purport when I close my eyes and let the spirits flow through from my mind to my fingers to the keyboard. Typing without the barriers of rational thought cannot produce any amount of trying because it is just doing. Only those who put thought into such things and judge as trying instead of doing are the ones who are trying too hard because they cannot let their mind go and are trapped by their own false self

Jazz573

To imply that I am trying too hard implies that I am trying at all and such is a nonsense thing to purport when I close my eyes and let the spirits flow through from my mind to my fingers to the keyboard. Typing without the barriers of rational thought cannot produce any amount of trying because it is just doing. Only those who put thought into such things and judge as trying instead of doing are the ones who are trying too hard because they cannot let their mind go and are trapped by their own false self

Sarcasm

GMG site sucks and trying to buy something from them sucks even more.

My card can and has been used for everything around the world...but GMG won't accept my money.

Jawmuncher

So who here has the most time in Rocket League? I figure Salsa, Soulflarz, and Exo probably do at this point. Too lazy to provide proof though.

Uzzy

Well I can now pull off fireballs on SFIV using the gyro of a Steam Controller. Took a bit of setup and tweaking to get it to a spot where I wasn't falling around every like kids in a game related TV advert but can pull one off 6-7 out of 10 times. Surprisingly it's easier for me one handed and just rocking the controller round in one hand. Dragon Punches are a whole different story...

EVO Champ 2016 right here.

I got bad news for you, Uzzy.
No Chun in this Beta as far as we know.

But why? I was down for some fun in the Chun. Capcom pls.

Ludens

Banned
Witcher 3 has A LOT of tiny sidequests that are basically callbacks to books, it's one of the reasons why I enjoyed the game so much.

The attention to details is stunning: in example in W3, during the
quest in which the dreamer needs to help Geralt on finding Ciri, you can really roleplay the witcher if you read the books, because the whole Geralt's past is here. I really appreciated that main. CDPR writer also hinted about the first time in which Geralt and other witchers understood that, after all, no matter how they try to raise Ciri, she is still a woman. A little detail, but I liked the reference to the original episode of the novel.

Dr Dogg

With all the primitive shapes (triangles, circles and such) it will probably be some Sony thing. Then the thread will be full of posts like 'PS4 is a Beast' and then my ignore list will grow a little larger.

Mixed2k

It seems that the "be ready for an announcement" announcements are quite effective at generating hype around here. It's genius.

Lol. I bet it'll suck. I already own most of their catalog on Steam anyways. :p

yeah...hopefully it's worth it for the people who bought it but my guess is it's just gonna be filled with stuff everyone already owns from previous sales/bundles and Modbot will have a busy weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom