• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2015 - _ Diretide Greetings and Happy Holidailies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teggy

yeah that just sounds like giving up on the game cos i don't think restarts ever work :p

I've done similar a number of times with other games, but there is usually a good amount of times between plays. I can't tell you how many times I started Deus Ex before finally beating it this year. Fallout 1 and KOTOR are still on the list of shame, though :(. KOTOR in particular I have played through the Jedi planet on Xbox, PC (more than once), Mac and iOS. I made it past Tatooine on iOS this year and hopefully I will go back and finish it. Although I got spoiled on the twist :/

zkylon

zkylewd
I've done similar a number of times with other games, but there is usually a good amount of times between plays. I can't tell you how many times I started Deus Ex before finally beating it this year. Fallout 1 and KOTOR are still on the list of shame, though :(. KOTOR in particular I have played through the Jedi planet on Xbox, PC (more than once), Mac and iOS. I made it past Tatooine on iOS this year and hopefully I will go back and finish it. Although I got spoiled on the twist :/

oh yeah with a long wait it can work but i don't think so for like immediate playthroughs

like i said that with dishonored, midway through i was like "this is boring and lame, i should start over and kill everyone" and that lasted like a mission and then i just got bored of playing the same thing

a few years later i did go through it killing everyone and massive successs

yeah that just sounds like giving up on the game cos i don't think restarts ever work :p

restarts work, but you need enough years between your last playthrough and your current interest for it to work. Otherwise, you feel like youre wasting your time.

I keep trying to finish Dragon Quest VIII. I tried back when I had an OG PS3 with backwards compatibility but my machined got a YLOD and i lost my 20 hour save.

Then, couple of years later, i tried again and, yet again, my PS3 YLOD. Lost +30 hours but never felt like I wasnt enjoying myself during that retry.

I've decided to give it one last try when it comes to the 3DS sometime next year. I feel like I owe it to that game to finally see it through to its end.

I find that returning to a game that you tried years ago and didnt finish really interesting. Sometimes, you find that you're enjoying it a lot more when hype/hysteria has settled down and your expectations are lowered (Arkham City, TR2013). Sometimes, you find that the game simply doesn't hold up anymore and it's okay to move on (Vagrant Story, Chrono Cross, The Witcher 1). Then, sometimes you just enjoy the game because you finally gave it a bit of time and the mechanics are still solid and it holds up (Crash Bandicoot 2, Castlevania: Rondo of Blood).

So yeah, giving games some time can really help with the experience. I just dont see how restarting a game you put 50 hours into it this very year wouldnt be tedious, especially a game like TW3 where it has a little cutscene when you load to remind you what was happening and a solid quest log to help you get right back into it.

Arthea

finishing games is already a major problem, now we are talking restarting? c'mon guys

tempted by Fahrenheit on Nuuvem, but I must stay strong, that's what not buying games means, no? being strong to any and all temptations.
not to mention, not a fan of it and of VPN too

edited: checked HB sale, not impressed, they can do better
eagerly awaiting posting the same about the steam sale
soon.jpg

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Twitter Hires Gaming Boss

Rodrigo Velloso joins Twitter from YouTube.

It appears Twitter is making a bigger play for gaming.

Hollywood news publication Variety reports that the social networking site has hired Rodrigo Velloso to become Twitter's director of gaming partnerships. He comes to Twitter after more than two years with the same title at the Google-owned video behemoth YouTube.

"With his help, Twitter plans to forge relationships with everyone in the gaming community, from developers and creators to event coordinators for conventions like E3 and PAX, and down to individuals like esports athletes and YouTube and Twitch streamers to create content for users," Variety reports.

In his own statement, Velloso said he looks forward to working with content creators to give them the tools, or build them if necessary, to "allow them to produce the best content."

Earlier this month, Twitter partnered with The Game Awards in a number of ways. One of these efforts was Twitter Mirror, a program that tweeted selfies and GIFs from the show's red carpet in real time.

According to survey commissioned by the micro-blogging site, Twitter users in the UK are 72 percent more likely to talk about gaming than the average Internet user.

Teggy

oh yeah with a long wait it can work but i don't think so for like immediate playthroughs

like i said that with dishonored, midway through i was like "this is boring and lame, i should start over and kill everyone" and that lasted like a mission and then i just got bored of playing the same thing

a few years later i did go through it killing everyone and massive successs

Well at this point I don't think I've touched the game since July. But I don't think I will start over because I've already gone through the work of sending a lot of people to Cair Morhen which I assume sets you up for the "good" ending or whatever.

zkylon

zkylewd
Well at this point I don't think I've touched the game since July. But I don't think I will start over because I've already gone through the work of sending a lot of people to Cair Morhen which I assume sets you up for the "good" ending or whatever.

tbh just finish it

i'm sure you'll find the ending interesting even if you're overleveled

the stuff at skellige is pretty good

Dr Dogg

Eh I'm 'replaying' Dragon Age Inquisition (don't know if that's the right term as I've still got stuff to do on my first playthrough). Well playing it on the Xbone certainly shows where there have been compromises made. Although the framerate doesn't go to shit in Redclife like it does on PC but my word there's enough specular aliasing you'd thinks someone is turning the lights on and off constantly. Also when you know how to pace the content out properly (because the game doesn't give you any fucking hints and just let's you bang your head against a wall) it flows quite well together. Though in a post Pillars and Witcher III world DA:I is so lacking in practically every department.

Arthea

Are they doing the no daily deals thing for the winter sale too?

apparently
We'll see soon enough, maybe valve changed their mind after Autumn sale numbers, who knows

on unrelated note
just noticed that unlike FF5 or 4tAY, FF6 is hanging in the bestsellers list, good, good.

Seeing the developer's website, they were also behind the Trouble Witches series on Xbox Live Arcade. Its cool that they have a new game that is not only coming to Steam but in English as well.

I hope that they will bring the Trouble Witches series on PC.

I loved Trouble Witches Neo...Makes me want this more, and I hope TWN comes to steam as well.

With Cave releasing ports on Steam, TWN and Radiant Silvergun are the only Xbox360 shooters that don't have PC ports (in my collection anyway).

I do own the Saturn version of Radiant Silvergun, but I'd like a modern port of that game (Come On, Treasure...let me give you more money!)

Knurek

Though in a post Pillars and Witcher III world DA:I is so lacking in practically every department.

Voice acting?
I mean, Geralt was fine and all, but Bioware always nails this.

on unrelated note
just noticed that unlike FF5 or 4tAY, FF6 is hanging in the bestsellers list, good, good.

Such a pity that an inherently superior game like FF5 lost is sales to crap like FF6. :\

Need to get FFV on Steam, maybe Squeenix will have a promotion in time for next Four Job Fiesta?

Ruruja

Spares.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ruruja, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Vertiginous Golf -- MB-BED4850EB8A557F0 - Taken by texhnolyze
Max Gentlemen - Triple DLC Pack -- MB-662233D6CE1F663B - Taken by Diedac

Arthea

Such a pity that an inherently superior game like FF5 lost is sales to crap like FF6. :\

kindly don't do this, it was hard enough to comprehend how you can hate it while you were playing it, I was hoping you'll just forget

although FF5 is a great game, very different than FF6 but no less great, true.

Voice acting?
I mean, Geralt was fine and all, but Bioware always nails this.

Need to get FFV on Steam, maybe Squeenix will have a promotion in time for next Four Job Fiesta?

Not in Inquisition.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Speaking of Final Fantasy VI, there are some pretty good SweetFX settings that clear up a lot of the game's bilinear filtering, and a mod to stretch out the screen to get rid of black bars: here.

eMGKaUt.png

It doesn't completely get rid of the problem, but in my opinion it's a vast improvement.

All you really need for the revised KOTOR2 is the lost content mod I think. As for KOTOR1, widescreen might be up your alley.

The KOTOR 2 mod scene was a great microcosm of the modding community.

I know someone here on Steam had to be a loyal poster at the Team Gizka forums. Bare your soul and release yourself from your burden.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
those character sprites, man

I just cant

I've been working on a way to do sprite replacement for this game, like is possible for Final Fantasy V, but I haven't been able to get anywhere just yet. The game stores it's assets in an encrypted container file that it accesses and decrypts on the fly while the game is running. I'm going to have to run it through a memory inspector to see if the decryption key is sent so that I can open things up. There are a few other people working on this too but nobody has made any progress yet unfortunately. Hopefully soon we'll be able to open the file, replace sprites, and repackage it correctly so that the game can read it (and hope they aren't doing some nonsense like evaluating checksums).

It might be a while before we're able to do anything about those sprites is what I'm saying.

this

i'd rather just play my ps1 copy haha

I know people hate the new character sprites (see above) but the game also adds new meaningful game mechanics like an intelligent auto-battle system and improvements to things such as Cyan's sword tech abilities. Also, the enemy sprites are absolutely fantastic and will make you wish that whoever redid these was in charge of the entire game.

I've been working on a way to do sprite replacement for this game, like is possible for Final Fantasy V, but I haven't been able to get anywhere just yet. The game stores it's assets in an encrypted container file that it accesses and decrypts on the fly while the game is running. I'm going to have to run it through a memory inspector to see if the decryption key is sent so that I can open things up. There are a few other people working on this too but nobody has made any progress yet unfortunately. Hopefully soon we'll be able to open the file, replace sprites, and repackage it correctly so that the game can read it (and hope they aren't doing some nonsense like evaluating checksums).

It might be a while before we're able to do anything about those sprites is what I'm saying.

much appreciate your looking into it. It seems like it's going to be a while before it's all figured out.

Arthea

I can't get through yet another round of this discussion, of course being a PC gamer you rather play a version with bad loading times, not so good controls and some other issues over the one on PC without these issues, because OMG sprites!
I'll never understand you people, never!

zkylon

zkylewd
I know people hate the new character sprites (see above) but the game also adds new meaningful game mechanics like an intelligent auto-battle system and improvements to things such as Cyan's sword tech abilities. Also, the enemy sprites are absolutely fantastic and will make you wish that whoever redid these was in charge of the entire game.

i wish the game came with a monkey-island like easy switch for old and new sprites

there's something to be said about appreciating these games in the form they were created

I can't get through yet another round of this discussion, of course being a PC gamer you rather play a version with bad loading times, not so good controls and some other issues over the one on PC without these issues, because OMG sprites!
yea but i'd get to play with my cool ps1 dualshock controller

Knurek

I'd take a CGA port over the horror Squeenix unleashed upon us.

jshackles

i wish the game came with a monkey-island like easy switch for old and new sprites

there's something to be said about appreciating these games in the form they were created

One of the first things I plan on doing when I figure out how to modify sprites in VI is to create a mod that will replace the character sprites with upscaled versions of their originals. Obviously not ideal, but it can probably be done in a matter of about 30 minutes and should alleviate the argument of "I'd rather just play it with the original sprites".

Seriously though, the monsters and battling backgrounds are pretty phenomenal. I seriously wish whoever was in charge of those was just responsible for the whole damn thing.

Original:
3-11062011_135204.png

PC:
TFhoGZZ.png

tuxfool

Banned
Seriously though, the monsters and battling backgrounds are pretty phenomenal. I seriously wish whoever was in charge of those was just responsible for the whole damn thing.

Monsters? Maybe.

Backgrounds? Definitely the old ones. Judging from that example, the new ones look like Clipart.

Eh I'm 'replaying' Dragon Age Inquisition (don't know if that's the right term as I've still got stuff to do on my first playthrough). Well playing it on the Xbone certainly shows where there have been compromises made. Although the framerate doesn't go to shit in Redclife like it does on PC but my word there's enough specular aliasing you'd thinks someone is turning the lights on and off constantly. Also when you know how to pace the content out properly (because the game doesn't give you any fucking hints and just let's you bang your head against a wall) it flows quite well together. Though in a post Pillars and Witcher III world DA:I is so lacking in practically every department.

Spiderweb Software's Avernum RPGs have more fulfilling open worlds. For instance, you haven't lived until you've seen the spider cave in Avernum 1... It's unforgettable.
ZKYLON WARNING said:

Arthea

well, you all can pout about every little thing concerning graphics till the time end, while me and jshackles will be enjoying those games.

oh and Witness too... in January? oh well, you can't have everything.

If you say so. Here's another example:

just don't bother anymore, jshackles, they don't want to listen to reason.

gelf

Couple from this years Square Enix box and Lara is from last years which I forgot about and I think is unredeemed.
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:

- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light -- MB-3DA46163ACCF4B9F - Taken by nightstorm. 1 entrants total.
Final Fantasy XIII -- MB-39362C193201101D - Taken by Volimar. 8 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Thief -- MB-8E13DE76D0B214C8 - Taken by alr1ght. 4 entrants total.

t1450475850z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom