• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2015 - _ Diretide Greetings and Happy Holidailies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

One of the first things I plan on doing when I figure out how to modify sprites in VI is to create a mod that will replace the character sprites with upscaled versions of their originals. Obviously not ideal, but it can probably be done in a matter of about 30 minutes and should alleviate the argument of "I'd rather just play it with the original sprites".

Seriously though, the monsters and battling backgrounds are pretty phenomenal. I seriously wish whoever was in charge of those was just responsible for the whole damn thing.

If you say so. Here's another example:

I've always thought the enemies and backgrounds looked quite good in this version, unfortunately the character sprites clash with that style.

Similarly to Shovel Knight scaling, is there a resolution you can set for your monitor for optimum scaling?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Thanks for this! The new version looks alot better in my opinion, gonna grab it now.

Awesome, glad I could help! It's one of my favorite games in my favorite series and probably the one I've played the most of overall. Under those weird graphics filters and strangely shaped character sprites is an absolutely amazing and timeless JRPG - enjoy.

I've always thought the enemies and backgrounds looked quite good in this version, unfortunately the character sprites clash with that style.

Similarly to Shovel Knight scaling, is there a resolution you can set for your monitor for optimum scaling?

DrDogg had more experience with this than I did, it seems Square really screwed the pooch when it came to rendering resolutions for this game as none of the pre-set resolution options matches the internal rendering resolution that the game runs in. I can't remember what his consensus was to get it working in the "most correct" manor possible, but I'm sure he'll chime in and let us know again. ;)

Anustart

Finished Hearts of Stone this morning. Exceptional dlc. Story in this was better than any quest in the main game. Well worth the 10$ I spent on it. Can't wait for the next piece!

Finished Hearts of Stone this morning. Exceptional dlc. Story in this was better than any quest in the main game. Well worth the 10$ I spent on it. Can't wait for the next piece!

better than the main story!? oh man I can't wait for the 2nd dlc to come out so i can play both of them back to back.

Parsnip

Regarding FF6 modding, this guy seems to have some kind of tool in the works as well.

CWe6AcwWcAAqzXN.png:large

Street Fighter V: Battle Costume Trailer

Because we all needed slightly different footage of Hot Ryu and Hot Chun-Li.

Cammy's battle costume is the best.

Still waiting for Ibuki though.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Regarding FF6 modding, this guy seems to have some kind of tool in the works as well.

CWe6AcwWcAAqzXN.png:large

Someone with a twitter account needs to tell him to hit me up on Steam or send him a link to here

Tizoc

Hmm Bamco have a countdown timer for Monday, one of the games speculated is God Eater 2.
Now seeing how well Zestiria's doing and will be doing for them in coming months, I think it would be VERY beneficial for Bamco to provide good PC ports going forward.

Hmm Bamco have a countdown timer for Monday, one of the games speculated is God Eater 2.
Now seeing how well Zestiria's doing and will be doing for them in coming months, I think it would be VERY beneficial for Bamco to provide good PC ports going forward.

It's either God Eater 2 or GE Resurrection. Hunger/Red Triangles and that one image that looked like the god arc monster you have to absorb power.

They were quite obvious with their hints. Here's hoping it gets a PC port. I can't play online on my Vita with anyone else anymore :(

Tizoc

It's either God Eater 2 or GE Resurrection. Hunger/Red Triangles and that one image that looked like the god arc monster you have to absorb power.

They were quite obvious with their hints. Here's hoping it gets a PC port. I can't play online on my Vita with anyone else anymore :(

2 God Eater games back to back like this would be rather troublesome wouldn't it? Unless they announce both games and each is like $40, then I'd be OK with that :X

Dr Dogg

One teeeny problem still of replacing character sprites in FFVI is how they're filtered. Right so here's a sprite sheet dumped from the game...
I haven't altered this (and most of them were inverted) but if you notice that you've got some pretty nice artwork there. So what's the issue? Well checking out the function calls this will be the issue
Code:
GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER GL_LINEAR
So upon magnification bilinear filtering is applied to the sprite. Now theoretically you could change the behaviour or filtering method to nearest but that's waaay out of my league. Anyone interested go grab a OGL graphics debugger (gDEBugger and AMD's thing should do the trick, I used the former). Edit: If you're going to replace them though you could try a larger sprite sheet but I guess it depends on how they're sliced.

I haven't properly counted (just looked at the front buffer image and guessed the coordinates) but character sprite appear to be 70px high on a 480 high image. Where as they are at a maximum of 48px high on the sprite sheet so maybe rending the game at ~328px high might force no filter of sprites at all. But then you have to scale the whole image up after that which might be a pain. I might have a look at it properly on Sunday.

AlanOC91

Let's hope some work can get done with this. I need the game to be fixed. It's one of my favorite games of all time and it has finally arrived on PC.

bXfCgrk.png

jshackles

Let's hope some work can get done with this. I need the game to be fixed. It's one of my favorite games of all time and it has finally arrived on PC.

I've been working on upscaling the original sprites from the SNES release to the proper size, and can also provide a 4xbr upscaling option. Hopefully his tool will be ready soon (he says it will be) and I can get to work on replacing those characters.

AlanOC91

I've been working on upscaling the original sprites from the SNES release to the proper size, and can also provide a 4xbr upscaling option. Hopefully his tool will be ready soon (he says it will be) and I can get to work on replacing those characters.

I'll gladly split the donation between the two of you if this can be completed.

Grief.exe

The new sprites can look decent when upscaled correctly.

http://www.fortressofdoors.com/doing-an-hd-remake-the-right-way-ffvi-edition/

ffvi_whynot-1.png

I still think the originals look better, and if you guys can do UI as well. Oh man.

Dr Dogg

It's not what you do with them outside the game, in an image editor that counts. You need to change the behaviour of the game first before worrying about sprite replacement. Give me a sec I'll try and work out what the native rendering res should be.

Regginator

GMG has a sale with a 10$ black ops 1. haven't seen it for that price yet. weird that the 20% off code XMAS20-PERGMG-SVINGS doesn't work though.

jshackles

It's not what you do with them outside the game, in an image editor that counts. You need to change the behaviour of the game first before worrying about sprite replacement. Give me a sec I'll try and work out what the native rendering res should be.

I know what you're getting at Dogg - the game is applying the filter to the graphics (which themselves look okay) and is making them blurry. In this case I'm talking about doing a sprite replacement where the newer "cartoony" sprites are replaced with the upscaled versions of the SNES sprites. They might still end up looking blurry in the end until that filter can be completely removed, but they'll look the way the game's purists want them to and should look pretty decent compared to the enemies.

Do you guys think Guilty Gear Xrd will go back on sale during the winter sale? I missed the first week sale because I was waiting for my paycheck, but I don't know if I can or should wait if it will be on sale again.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Do you guys think Guilty Gear Xrd will go back on sale during the winter sale? I missed the first week sale because I was waiting for my paycheck, but I don't know if I can or should wait if it will be on sale again.

No. Not really, since it just released.

You're gonna be waiting until the summer at best.
---

In other news, trying to learn Unreal Engine to extract skin files to make skins for Killing Floor 2 and I'm pulling my hair out trying to make a skin file. I JUST WANTED TO PHOTOSHOP TEXTURES, TRIPWIRE. WHY IS THIS SO HARD!? ARGGGGHHHH.

Vamphuntr

Maybe it's related to this https://steamdb.info/app/382465/ ?

The DLC for the God Eater costumes for Zestiria should have been up by now and this thing showed up during the leak. Free offer entails something right?

Maybe it's related to this https://steamdb.info/app/382465/ ?

The DLC for the God Eater costumes for Zestiria should have been up by now and this thing showed up during the leak. Free offer entails something right?

No one would be silly enough to create a countdown to generate hype for a DLC lol

I can see that being mentioned, but not as the main focus. Also, I don't think it would be free. The other crossover ones were costly.

Dr Dogg

I know what you're getting at Dogg - the game is applying the filter to the graphics (which themselves look okay) and is making them blurry. In this case I'm talking about doing a sprite replacement where the newer "cartoony" sprites are replaced with the upscaled versions of the SNES sprites. They might still end up looking blurry in the end until that filter can be completely removed, but they'll look the way the game's purists want them to and should look pretty decent compared to the enemies.

Oh deffo but you shouldn't need to rescale the orginal FFVI sprite at all. I think they were 48px high so you could pretty much do a straight swap.

Now to try and get the game to play ball you could render it as 480x320 (just found the rendering resolution values not the viewport ones).
And then if you could scale that x4 via nearest neighbour interpolation you'd get something like this.
Which ain't bad for cartoony sprites :p

But yeah if you wanted the OG sprites then you'd need that kind of approach or modify the function calls of the texture sheets. End of the day you've got shit loads of programming experience so could be a real neat project for you and the documentation for OGL is pretty good from what I've just looked at.

zkylon

zkylewd
One of the first things I plan on doing when I figure out how to modify sprites in VI is to create a mod that will replace the character sprites with upscaled versions of their originals. Obviously not ideal, but it can probably be done in a matter of about 30 minutes and should alleviate the argument of "I'd rather just play it with the original sprites".

Seriously though, the monsters and battling backgrounds are pretty phenomenal. I seriously wish whoever was in charge of those was just responsible for the whole damn thing.
if you can do something about the ui go for it too, i really think that hurts as much or more than the sprites :p

probably something that mimics the old ui is like a very quick photoshop and will look infinitely better than that weird ass facebook game thing they've got going on there lol

Spiderweb Software's Avernum RPGs have more fulfilling open worlds. For instance, you haven't lived until you've seen the spider cave in Avernum 1... It's unforgettable.
i'm all for kissing but i have my limits

The new sprites can look decent when upscaled correctly.

http://www.fortressofdoors.com/doing-an-hd-remake-the-right-way-ffvi-edition/

ffvi_whynot-1.png

I still think the originals look better, and if you guys can do UI as well. Oh man.
that's actually a really good point, the sprites kind of look great in that rescale

fucking finally

day 1

Red Hood

Banned
GMG has a sale with a 10$ black ops 1. haven't seen it for that price yet. weird that the 20% off code XMAS20-PERGMG-SVINGS doesn't work though.

Thanks for the heads up. I've been eyeing Black Ops for <10$, as far as I know this is an all-time low, no?

Anyway, I've put quite a few hours in the multiplayer of the PS3 version, kinda my guilty pleasure. Great campaign as well.

jshackles

But yeah if you wanted the OG sprites then you'd need that kind of approach or modify the function calls of the texture sheets. End of the day you've got shit loads of programming experience so could be a real neat project for you and the documentation for OGL is pretty good from what I've just looked at.

That looks too good for me not to try

So, $24 for Dragons Dogma: Dark Arisen on GMG (with xmas voucher) is the cheapest atm right?

Yes, except if you're a Brazilian, Turkish Russian, or Chinese..
Kinda bummed that my region didn't get regional pricing (which is kinda normal for Capcom games), but I'll get it next month nonetheless. Anyway, is it safe to assume that the gmg voucher will still be available next month?

Anteater

Finished ff13-2, damn, what a tedious and repetitive game, took around 22hrs to beat but felt like eternity around half way through, it started ok but everything just seems to drag after a while. Similar to FF13 I guess but the stuff they added to the game often feel a bit too overdone, repetitive, just plain boring to do or drags on forever. Level designs are a bit better than the first game but the structure, puzzles and pacing still need some work.

Time for Lightning Returns!

Dr Dogg

That looks too good for me not to try

This is what makes me laugh. In 3 hours of memory editing and going through their assets with a fine tooth comb (and many, many crashes) I came to the conclusion that you need to base render the game as close to 480x320. Then to preserve hard edges you need to render at multiples of or scale the final image and use nearest neighbour as your interpolation method (which is a piece of piss if you have the source code). So offer up rendering/presentation resolutions of 480x320, 960x640, 1440x960, 1920x1280 and for those who want the game to be blown up full screen have a exclusive fullscreen option either using nearest or bilinear interpolation for the whole image not just each of certain textures. Short of not having the OG sprites that's pretty much all the bug bears people would have with the game addressed (maaybe the menus need a look at too). Maybe throw in a decent CRT shader applied at 480x320 and then scaled afterwards so it's nice and tight and you'd have a pretty stellar release right there. I honestly can't imagine that's a mammoth amount of work to do all that either. To me that's a flexible and considered approach all in one.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So I should probably just buy it now you think?

If you REALLY want to play -Sign- on PC? Yeah. If you can wait for Revelator (which is coming soon) and can wait for the possible PC version to be a little late there? Better to wait.

The biggest deal was the discount on the DLC for -Sign-. Not the launch price.

If you REALLY want to play -Sign- on PC? Yeah. If you can wait for Revelator (which is coming soon) and can wait for the possible PC version to be a little late there? Better to wait.

The biggest deal was the discount on the DLC for -Sign-. Not the launch price.

I don't have a console so it's not like I'm going to get Revelator any time soon. Looks like I'll sell all my trading cards to soften the blow and buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom