• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2015 - _ Diretide Greetings and Happy Holidailies

Status
Not open for further replies.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Valve and HTC's Virtual Reality Headset Retail Version Leaks

HTC has not confirmed whether these images are genuine.

yDhbMS1.jpg

Adnor

Banned
It was worse with Last of Us.

I remember especially a bunch of people indignant that it wasn't on Rockpapershotgun's list. Y'know, because it's a PC gaming focused website.

Well, I think that at least one person said they had no idea that RPS was a PC gaming website and that's why they said all that?

Dsyndrome

Fuck the ending of Scream Queens. I'd play something to forget, but can't right now. Did like lots of it, just no comeuppance for the killer.

I'm afraid at how much I have left for Wasteland 2. Just going through the Rail Nomads section, think I still have over half. Having a great time, this game is long though.

Kriken

Can a thread be made on GAF without someone almost immediately mentioning how the game compares to Souls/Bloodborne, the thread is "Souls the thread" or especially how an award was clearly robbed from Bloodborne? I swear, it's like GAFs special version of Godwin's Law.

I'd make a thread about it but I don't feel like hearing all the shit that would no doubt rain down.

Your thread would be shit because it would lack Souls-like lore and your replies could use some Bloodborne combat

Edit: When Bloodborne doesn't win GAF GOTY, I will laugh at the humiliating wall of shame

Can a thread be made on GAF without someone almost immediately mentioning how the game compares to Souls/Bloodborne, the thread is "Souls the thread" or especially how an award was clearly robbed from Bloodborne? I swear, it's like GAFs special version of Godwin's Law.

I'd make a thread about it but I don't feel like hearing all the shit that would no doubt rain down.

Some of them are just a joke though.
Like the one in PC Gamer's GOTY pick, 'Bloodborne got robbed again.'

There's a PC Yu-gi-oh game scheduled for Winter 2016 :eek:

http://gematsu.com/2015/12/new-yu-gi-oh-games-coming-3ds-pc-mobile

3DS and PC is such a bizarre combination.
It also has mobile though, that explains it.

Adnor

Banned
Someday I should try to finish Dark Souls and see why so many people love it so much. I think I was in the entrance of the sewers, fought a slime and said to myself "I should continue this tomorrow" but never continued the game.

And then I lost my save.

dot

Yeah but is it coming to steam though? That's what's important.

Fuck the ending of Scream Queens. I'd play something to forget, but can't right now. Did like lots of it, just no comeuppance for the killer.

I'm afraid at how much I have left for Wasteland 2. Just going through the Rail Nomads section, think I still have over half. Having a great time, this game is long though.

The first half of the finale was pretty weak but the second half was a little better. I hope the show gets renewed though, it's hilarious. Chad is my favorite character lol.

Jadax

Someday I should try to finish Dark Souls and see why so many people love it so much. I think I was in the entrance of the sewers, fought a slime and said to myself "I should continue this tomorrow" but never continued the game.

And then I lost my save.
It's one of the better games out there. I was also quite sceptical when I first got it, everyone I knew raved about it, websites were all fanboys - but play it properly, going in without any expectations and you'll be blown away by just how effin good the game is.

I didn't like DS2 as much for some reason...

Teggy

The sad thing is I own all 4 Souls games. I even got caught up in the hype and pre-ordered Bloodborne despite never getting more than maybe an hour into any of the other games. They're just not for me. I understand that people like them, but the attitude just really rubs me the wrong way.

Adnor

Banned
It's one of the better games out there. I was also quite sceptical when I first got it, everyone I knew raved about it, websites were all fanboys - but play it properly, going in without any expectations and you'll be blown away by just how effin good the game is.

I didn't like DS2 as much for some reason...

I actually liked what I played, but somehow it didn't grab me enough to continue playing, maybe I shouldn't have stopped at the sewers because, well, sewer level.

zkylon

zkylewd

And then I lost my save.

yeah you probably should

there's a time and place thing about these games that might've passed for you in how they kind of did a really huge paradigm shift in a time in which most games were getting more and more accessible and transparent and it just so decisively challenged that and was so successful at it, specially for a big console game (at least for me it was demons souls) that it was kind of unbelievable at the time. it felt so obvious after i played it but how come no one actually realized this was the direction games should be going, to treat players with enough respect to face them with challenges and trust them to earn their victories

nowadays that kind of game is a lot more common but this was in 2009, uncharted and call of duty and assassins creed were the big things and it just blew my mind

they're great games even if you weren't there to experience the "break", but i could understand ppl being less fascinated with them than i am. but they're damn fun games with really deep combat and rpg mechanics and a super rich universe filled with secrets and traps and hard bosses and all kinds of awesome shit

but yea not every game needs to be dark souls

Anustart

Good thing the sale is coming. With Hearts of Stone completed, I need another game. I think it's time for Spelunky.

Not really any other games I can think of wanting. Spelunky and Fallout 4 will have to hold me over til Dark Souls 3.

Sober

Two words: Ryan Murphy (and I guess also Ian Brennan and Brad Falchuk). I haven't finished watching it myself but I knew it was always gonna lose the plot or fall flat on its face/run out of steam.

Some games transcend platforms, and the Last of Us is one of them. Major mistake on RPS's part.
Yeah, but does TLOU have Souls combat? Because if not then we have to retire any GOTYs as being invalid. Yes, even Bayo 2.

Bloodborne, Demon Souls and Dark Souls 1/2 are now the only valid GAF GOTYs, even in the years where they weren't eligible.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

RoboCraft Basic Package -- MB-9F1248A4958CC932 - Taken by Jalal

Knurek

The funny thing about FF6 remake, while you are concerned about sprites, I always imagined that FF6 will not look like this:

LSPus.jpg

The game should not look like this.
It did not look like this on any platform it was released on.
Seriously.
Quick and dirty screenshot of how FF6 SNES looks like when scaled properly to 1080p:
retroarch-1219-091049wssax.png

And here's Terra sprite.
terralms0a.png

No ugly, kill-your-eyes pixels there, right?

Best of all, this method works with all resolutions. From 640x480 up to 8k.
Why Squeenix couldn't use something like this for their Steam release? Just have a few presets for the CRT shader, for people who can't stand scanlines/curvature/etc.

zkylon

zkylewd
feels like forever since i played eternity (sorry lol), ended up playing like 4 hours straight

i love this game so much, it's still got that classic wrpg pacing weirdness of cities feeling completely different from other parts of the game (i'm not even sure if that's a bad thing), but i enjoy it so damn much

reminds me a lot of temple of the elemental evil, a game i don't think about too often but as someone that never played that much of baldur's gate that's the game it keeps me thinking about. quests have are been really cool and i surprisingly enjoy the combat even if it's rtwp and has that d&d thing of like overwhelming you with a million different spells. i like the companions a lot, they're a lot more subdued than the very wacky companions some wrpgs tend to have but i really appreciate how grounded they feel and there's still a lot of personality in characters like durance and kana, while the others all have likable traits to them too. the whole story and world is so freaking well done, there's a lot of work put into details like language and politics and currency and history and everything. it's all really immersive to me, i love it

it's probably gonna be my goty, i liked witcha a lot but i also had a lot of issues with how the open world felt kind of filler, so i'm really enjoying this equally dense game but that's more respectful of my time and is just 'real' content all the time

Dr Dogg

Seeing as WiiU games don't county for the GOTY's in here my top spot is going to be a straight shootout between Pillars and Witcher III and I still need to finish both! But I've seen enough to know they're both very special games that I feel have a quality in their content, presentation, mechanics and structure that they stand out from the crowd for me.

Avellone might have been spread so thinly across multiple projects but he still writes the best companions and if it isn't the best implementation of RTWP then I don't know what is. Once I got a handle on positioning even trash encounters were enjoyable and it's bastard hard too.

Witcher III for me is more of an iterative title over its predecessor although moved to an open world setting. But I found some of the side content that you'd bumble into to be better written and give more insight into the world than the critical path of a lot of other RPGs. And it might just be the best equestrian simulator yet. Loved the horse riding in Red Dead and SotC but once I got the timing right for mounted combat, lopping off heads on horseback never gets old.

Knurek

Avellone might have been spread so thinly across multiple projects but he still writes the best companions and if it isn't the best implementation of RTWP then I don't know what is.

Final Fantasy XII in my books.
Unless 3.0 patch for PoE adds customizable Gambits, that is.

Sblargh

Banned
GMG got a pretty good sale going on right now.
It has Shadowrun: Dragonfall at 80% and Hong Kong at 50%.
Here comes the question: is it worth it to play both? As in, are they separate games distinct enough to warrant playing through both?

ExoSoul

Banned
Here comes the question: is it worth it to play both? As in, are they separate games distinct enough to warrant playing through both?

Don't forget to use the 20% off coupon.

Knurek

Yes.
Start with Dragonfall though, both games are equally good and by the time you're done with Dragonfall, Hong Kong ought to be way cheaper than it is now.

Hektor

omgggggg

I was just thinking of picking up that PS4 game, for all that nostalgia. I was such a yugioh nerd back in the day.

Could it may be that the pcgame will be a port of that? WHO KNOWS. Now i cant buy that PS4 game because of the chance of it beeing ported to steam.

And then it turns out that PCgame is some other title and i could've bought the PS4 one all along. fml.

omgggggg

I was just thinking of picking up that PS4 game, for all that nostalgia. I was such a yugioh nerd back in the day.

Could it may be that the pcgame will be a port of that? WHO KNOWS. Now i cant buy that PS4 game because of the chance of it beeing ported to steam.

And then it turns out that PCgame is some other title and i could've bought the PS4 one all along. fml.

It's certainly not a port, as the title was only revealed for the mobile game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom