• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2015 - _ Diretide Greetings and Happy Holidailies

Status
Not open for further replies.
four fucking months until ds3... argh
LLShC.gif

Adnor

Banned
Just finished Dying Light campaign. Overall I actually really liked the game. The movement system was so much fun, I loved running around the city, the combat system was good too, not as good as the movement, but still, with the exception of firearms and some special monsters it felt fine. Running around dropkicking a zombie and then stomping in their head was awesome.

But the game had problems, especially the story. Normally I don't really care about the story of a game unless it's really good or, in this case, stops the game for a while, there are parts in this game where you stop running around killing zombies and the game tries to be tragic and serious and it doesn't work at all. Like, near the end of the game
Jade, a character you've seen only twice before is bitten by a zombie and sacrifices herself to save you and it's supposed to be tragic but it isn't because, again, you've only seen her twice before, and she gives the worst monologue I've ever heard where she said something like "I was born premature so every moment of my life was a gift" or some shit like that, I remember that Salsa and I just wouldn't believe what we were listening to, it was bad.

I feel like there were two teams writing this game, one team wanted to make a fun game about kicking zombies and they wrote basically every sidequest of the game and another team wanted to make this tragic drama about people living in a city infested by the undead and they sadly wrote the main campaign. Badly.

Also fuck not letting you do the last mission in co-op, what the hell.

But again, aside for the story the game is really good and I can't wait to try the expansion, I just hope Techland doesn't try to make a serious story and just makes a fun game about hitting zombies in the exploding barrel that they, for some reason, have in the back to make them explode.

Corpekata

Banned
Jade should've been the main character of Dying Light. Like, why is everyone trusting the new white dude to do all this important stuff when they have Jade who is supposed to be the best runner, is a great fighter, and acts as a symbol of hope for the people since she was a local celebrity turned freedom fighter.

It also would fix issues with the villain, who for no reason is fixated on Chris Redfield. It would make sense for his bullshit to be aimed at the local symbol of hope and not some random outsider.

Ventara

Hey guys, what VPN do you guys use for Chrome/Firefox? I want to use it so I can access US Netflix. I used to use Hola for Chrome, but I see now that there's a premium for that, unless I'm willing to share my bandwidth or something (?). I don't know.

Adnor

Banned
I agree, she would have been a much better protagonist than Kyle but I actually didn't dislike him.

Fuck the bad guy, I hate that archtype of villian but I disliked the other scene more than any of his.

Corpekata

Banned
Sidequest Kyle is great because he's a sarcastic dickhead. Main story Kyle is a bore.

Except for when he does one of the huge drops into a trash pile and responds with something like "one of these days it's going to end up being a garbage bag full of knives."

Jade should've been the main character of Dying Light. Like, why is everyone trusting the new white dude to do all this important stuff when they have Jade who is supposed to be the best runner, is a great fighter, and acts as a symbol of hope for the people since she was a local celebrity turned freedom fighter.

It also would fix issues with the villain, who for no reason is fixated on Chris Redfield. It would make sense for his bullshit to be aimed at the local symbol of hope and not some random outsider.

well i don't get why you gotta bring up that he's white, i would've went with douchey looking cunt, but from what I've seen my brother play yea i agree with you.

zkylon

zkylewd
Just finished Dying Light campaign. Overall I actually really liked the game. The movement system was so much fun, I loved running around the city, the combat system was good too, not as good as the movement, but still, with the exception of firearms and some special monsters it felt fine. Running around dropkicking a zombie and then stomping in their head was awesome.

But the game had problems, especially the story. Normally I don't really care about the story of a game unless it's really good or, in this case, stops the game for a while, there are parts in this game where you stop running around killing zombies and the game tries to be tragic and serious and it doesn't work at all. Like, near the end of the game
Jade, a character you've seen only twice before is bitten by a zombie and sacrifices herself to save you and it's supposed to be tragic but it isn't because, again, you've only seen her twice before, and she gives the worst monologue I've ever heard where she said something like "I was born premature so every moment of my life was a gift" or some shit like that, I remember that Salsa and I just wouldn't believe what we were listening to, it was bad.

I feel like there were two teams writing this game, one team wanted to make a fun game about kicking zombies and they wrote basically every sidequest of the game and another team wanted to make this tragic drama about people living in a city infested by the undead and they sadly wrote the main campaign. Badly.

Also fuck not letting you do the last mission in co-op, what the hell.

But again, aside for the story the game is really good and I can't wait to try the expansion, I just hope Techland doesn't try to make a serious story and just makes a fun game about hitting zombies in the exploding barrel that they, for some reason, have in the back to make them explode.

the story being crap kind of annoys me

i kind of want to play the game but if i'm gonna be getting mad at it for having a really shit story i dunno if i'm gonna enjoy it

Adnor

Banned
Yeah, when I was playing with Salsa and we heard that line we basically agreed that the game needed more writing like that instead of the rest of the main campaign.

KarmaCow

Hey guys, what VPN do you guys use for Chrome/Firefox? I want to use it so I can access US Netflix. I used to use Hola for Chrome, but I see now that there's a premium for that, unless I'm willing to share my bandwidth or something (?). I don't know.

I've been looking for one too since MediaHint stopped working.

Teggy

Showed up for Star Wars and the projector was broken and they cancelled our showing. Bought those tickets months ago. I was able to get decent seats at a different theater for tomorrow night but I have to last another day without getting spoiled. One bright side, the showing before was when the projector broke and it was mid showing. Those poor bastards.

Uh yeah, Steam and stuff.

Uzzy

Showed up for Star Wars and the projector was broken and they cancelled our showing. Bought those tickets months ago. I was able to get decent seats at a different theater for tomorrow night but I have to last another day without getting spoiled. One bright side, the showing before was when the projector broke and it was mid showing. Those poor bastards.

That seriously sucks. My advice is just stay off the internet if you're really spoiler averse, hell, I was watching Justin Wong's stream of SFV and one of the donations was a Star Wars spoiler.

Yay. Gotta love people when this kinda thing comes up.

Ugh that sucks, that would've seriously bummed me out.

Coreda

Can someone describe what's special about Undertale? Seeing it posted repeatedly in the essential RPG thread top 10.

Watched the trailer when it was released and have seen screenshots yet it seems to be mostly a send up of RPG tropes with SNES visuals ala Earthbound but far more over-the-top and self-aware.

Are people won over by some charm/gameplay/story that the trailer and screenshots don't convey?

I'm gonna see it in 2 weeks with some pals, I don't really mind spoilers but I'd prefer it not to of course. Its been pretty easy to avoid spoilers for me, just ignore anything that could be related to star wars.

I use Tunnelbear to access US Netflix among other things. $5 a month isn't too bad and VPNs are useful all the time.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Nightmares from the Deep: The Cursed Heart -- MB-66FAAE59693DC52B - Taken by gurm3n

Momentary

Banned
SFV;s background framerate is freakin' ridiculous. I'm guessing it's that way to keep PS4 gameplay from dropping frames. It's jarring to the eyes. For me it is anyways. I hope Capcom doesn't force that on the PC version.

The PS4 version is pretty much tit for tat on image quality

SFV Beta PS4 vs PC image quality

I barrowed this from the console screenshots thread.

Hektor

Can someone describe what's special about Undertale? Seeing it posted repeatedly in the essential RPG thread top 10.

Watched the trailer when it was released and have seen screenshots yet it seems to be mostly a send up of RPG tropes with SNES visuals ala Earthbound but far more over-the-top and self-aware.

Are people won over by some charm/gameplay/story that the trailer and screenshots don't convey?

For one thing, yes to your last question.
The game is very fun and charming and got some amazing Kojima kind of moments.

Furthermore the Soundtrack is amazing as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Njw007Zdgw0
(If you browse Undertale OST, do not, I repeat, do NOT look at the right side of the page where videos are recommended to you if you haven't played the game yet)*

And this may be a light spoiler:
the game completely changes depending on how violent you play the game, if you go all murdering you get a very different, sickening experience.

*copyright to the uploader of the video.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
SFV;s background framerate is freakin' ridiculous. I'm guessing it's that way to keep PS4 gameplay from dropping frames. It's jarring to the eyes. For me it is anyways. I hope Capcom doesn't force that on the PC version.

The PS4 version is pretty much tit for tat on image quality

SFV Beta PS4 vs PC image quality

I barrowed this from the console screenshots thread.

breh, I cut my eye on that jpeg compression.

Dsyndrome

I have to last until Tuesday night, at least stuff hasn't gone off the deep end in here.

I hate when I want to play something, but I want to go replay decisions first before continuing on. Having that issue with King's Quest; want to play the second episode, but want / don't want to go redo episode 1 to redo decisions. Thus I play something else until I think about playing again, and the cycle repeats.

Arthea

I bought it, played it some, totally don't see anything so special about it, especially gameplay related. It's an interesting little game, but not the best game ever, or RPG. Then again I can't understand infatuation with Earthbound too, even if I liked it, I didn't find that special or good, maybe that's why.

Jazz573

I bought it, played it some, totally don't see anything so special about it, especially gameplay related. It's an interesting little game, but not the best game ever, or RPG. Then again I can't understand infatuation with Earthbound too, even if I liked it, I didn't find that special or good, maybe that's why.

Just means you have bad taste. :p

Corpekata

Banned
Undertale is one of those games that's hard to really sell to someone else without spoiling a lot of the fun.

But yes, the game is far better than the trailers or store page shows. I wrote it off the first couple weeks after release because it looked fairly ugly and simplistic, but I'm glad I changed my mind.

It is also helped by a kicking soundtrack.

alr1ght

I thought it was from JPEG compression, but it's not. There aren't any artifacts on the UI since it's just 2D rendering. Actually, the V down at the bottom looks better in the PS4 version.

It very clearly has jpeg compression (the file is a 72% quality jpeg). It does have some bad artifacting that doesn't look like compression, but the picture has tons of it.

Just look at the ui
3yvsdr.png

Adnor

Banned
I don't like the look of SFV. The characters models are fine (hate the hair of Vega and Ken though) but I just find the backgrounds to be just really ugly, I don't like the blue tone that background has or the green tone other I've seen has. Maybe the game in motion looks good (I don't really play SF games so I haven't seen gameplay, just screenshots), but I just don't like what I've seen.

But I have really bad taste so maybe that's just me :p

alr1ght

I don't like the look of SFV. The characters models are fine (hate the hair of Vega and Ken though) but I just find the backgrounds to be just really ugly, I don't like the blue tone that background has or the green tone other I've seen has. Maybe the game in motion looks good (I don't really play SF games so I haven't seen gameplay, just screenshots), but I just don't like what I've seen.

At least it looks better than SF4.

zkylon

zkylewd
Undertale is one of those games that's hard to really sell to someone else without spoiling a lot of the fun.

But yes, the game is far better than the trailers or store page shows. I wrote it off the first couple weeks after release because it looked fairly ugly and simplistic, but I'm glad I changed my mind.

It is also helped by a kicking soundtrack.
i know that i have to give it a shot but i've been having trouble finding myself wanting to actually play it

it's not helping that it's living the indie dream of not having any sales ever

Coreda

OK...

here's a PNG geniuses. It's not artifacts.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/701/23658558621_c857d32988_o.png

Sorry that I'm right and your wrong about what the game actually looks like. Look at those "artifacts" on the boobs

There's no need to get testy, it's not intended to be an argument, just pointing out what's clearly visible in the images. If that's the IQ of the PS4 version of SFV then it's terrible, especially when the totally-not-compression-lookalike-artifacts are affecting the edges and not limited to just the texture quality. In motion I doubt one would notice though.

Momentary

Banned

I don't think it looks fantastic. But it looks good to me. Facial animations are top notch. But compared to the technology and technique that Guilty Gear used, SFV just doesn't compare to me. Especially at 4K.

Momentary

Banned
There's no need to get testy, it's not intended to be an argument, just pointing out what's clearly visible in the images. If that's the IQ of the PS4 version of SFV then it's terrible, especially when the totally-not-compression-lookalike-artifacts are affecting the edges and not limited to just the texture quality.

Hmmm. Should have worded that a bit different.I was going for more of a throwing my hands up in the air and giving up and producing a png. Can't convey tone through typing. I was cheeky and sarcastic, but not out of malice. I apologize. I replaced the comparison with a Jpeg to jpeg image, but it's still higher quality than the PS4 image.

gaiadyne

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (gaiadyne, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Evoland -- MB-17162B3B3102EC2B - Taken by FLD
Psychonauts -- MB-3EEC85D0B6822FD5 - Taken by Blu(e)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom