• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2015 - _ Diretide Greetings and Happy Holidailies

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's ok, I can pick up the slack.

Put the money you'd waste on Transistor towards Life is Strange instead.
tumblr_nz7z75hPj21ubpbmgo1_500.gif

Uzzy

Together, we can show off the best of SteamGAF by shouting at gaming side in one loud, booming voice.

BUY LIFE IS STRANGE
BUY TRANSISTOR

There, done.

zkylon

zkylewd
i gotta find time to replay transistor and figure out what the hell happened with that game that made me dislike it that much

i feel it's one that i'll get maybe on a third try or something

Teggy

Are the cards that drop during the sale going to have a 5 day trade/sell delay too? That's not going to work very well.

The gif should be like:

"So are you ok with no Flash and Daily Deals?"

"Yeah."

"Yeah?"

Well you know what happens next.
We can try to do 2 versions of it:

Are you gonna miss your mom the Flash Sales and Daily Deals?
No.
No?

+

Are you ready for the Steam Sale, little buddy?
Yeah.
Really?

Soulflarz

Banned
LiS has poor writing and falls back on some heavy steriotypes and obviousness that helped me call the big bad near the start, even before the situation for calling him out was even clear how it worked.

X-Com 2 is rated teen and going by the ersb description got rid of all of the death animations and fun gibbing of the last game. Weird!

There also isn't cursing anymore so they went for a t rating this time, despite the positive sales of the last game.

X-Com 2 is rated teen and going by the ersb description got rid of all of the death animations and fun gibbing of the last game. Weird!

There also isn't cursing anymore so they went for a t rating this time, despite the positive sales of the last game.

That sucks, hopefully the game is modable

abracadaver

Fucking shit. They want that console money

zkylon

zkylewd

that's weird

not something i care much about, specially the cursing, but gibs are funny

Fucking shit. They want that console money
ikr what better way to get the console money than making it pc exlusive :p

Volimar

There's a mod for Fallout 4 that changes the death music to Mmmm, whatcha say.

https://youtu.be/-PyyYUXq4os?t=315

In this first look from Angry Joe it looks like there's still the blood. Not sure how gory you're expecting it to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVw-QOU06WU

Why is there no hype for the steam sale?

They took away our daily and flash sales, that's why.

Now the probability of a price error diminishes. Still, if Undertale happens to get discounted for the Winter Sale (which it won't) then I guess it'll be worth it.

donny2112

Speaking of deals better on other sites, Shadow of Mordor is $9 on GMG right now, which is the cheapest it has been and no doubt way cheaper than it will be dieing the steam sale.

Thank you! Got so used to skipping over it due to the higher price, that I missed it was finally in a good range!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Spares:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

(Itch.io) Militia -- MB-FB754CAC2DAF5195 - Taken by Belgarion
Redeem to retrieve your Steam key
Marble Duel -- MB-E65554DFDC18FD5B - Taken by bobnowhere
ShipLord -- MB-DF9E8213FC4AFBDE - Taken by ExoSoul
The Body Changer -- MB-C5CC942E89E607FE - Taken by rainking187

^^

Thanks JaseC!

Anyway if you bought Build a Greenlight 33, you too have a key for Militia, you just have to register the itch.io key and there will be a steam key waiting for you. No alert from Groupees.

Copons

So, this is that time of the year when I have enough spare time to being fed up with VLC doing weird stuff and I ask the MPC crowd, for the nth time, a foolproof guide to install and properly configure it.

(usage: non anime, mostly SD, if my internet gets upgraded also HD I guess)

Thanks in advance you hipster MPC crowd.

Bonus: a proper Android remote app for MPC would be the final trigger to make me switch, no matter what.

Phinor

Why is there no hype for the steam sale?

It's just a regular sale for two weeks, nothing special at all. Unless they decide to bring the (good) daily/flash deals back but I doubt it. With a wishlist of 50 games, I'm wondering if I end up buying anything from Steam at all if the Autumn sale was any indication of what's to come.

Knurek

So, this is that time of the year when I have enough spare time to being fed up with VLC doing weird stuff and I ask the MPC crowd, for the nth time, a foolproof guide to install and properly configure it.

(usage: non anime, mostly SD, if my internet gets upgraded also HD I guess)

Thanks in advance you hipster MPC crowd.

Just get Combined Community Codec Pack.

Coreda

Is there an effective method to disable Steam games from updating?

Would either of the following work?

1) Launching the game directly from the game directory. Edit: tried this, game fails to launch.

2) Setting the directory to read only (I can't imagine Steam would play nice with this).

Breed them.
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Mavromatis, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Alien Breed: Impact -- MB-C9CE676EC2168F38 - Taken by Deques

Whaaat. This one has no dailies either? Dod tbe previous sale go so well?

I think the decision of skipping dailies for both the Autumn and Winter sale were made together. So whatever analysis they want to do will happen after this one. Some time in January Steamspy will be able to tell us how many games were bought during the sales and we can compare that to Summer sale stats to see how things went.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is there an effective method to disable Steam games from updating?

Would either of the following work?

1) Launching the game directly from the game directory. Edit: tried this, game fails to launch.

2) Setting the directory to read only (I can't imagine Steam would play nice with this).

Offline Mode. ;) Early(ish) last year it was briefly possible to skip detected updates in favour of launching the current build, but Valve stepped back from this and the feature hasn't been since. It was around this time that "Do not automatically update this game" was renamed to "Only update this game when I launch it" so as to more accurately reflect what the option actually does.

Chariot

I think the decision of skipping dailies for both the Autumn and Winter sale were made together. So whatever analysis they want to do will happen after this one. Some time in January Steamspy will be able to tell us how many games were bought during the sales and we can compare that to Summer sale stats to see how things went.
This is so sad. Sales were my favourite game, now it's dumbed down to appeal to the casuals. No tension, no dailies, no excitement finding a new deal.

Coreda

Offline Mode. ;) Early(ish) last year it was briefly possible to skip detected updates in favour of launching the current build, but Valve stepped back from this and the feature hasn't been since. It was around this time that "Do not automatically update this game" was renamed to "Only update this game when I launch it" so as to more accurately reflect what the option actually does.

Yeah, I normally would. The problem with the game in question, MGSV Phantom Pain, is while you can launch it in Steam's offline mode it first forces you to switch Steam to online mode every so often prior to launching.

GOG Galaxy at least puts the user in control of updates.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Had thought the character was Australian from all the GIFs I'd seen. Must be the hat.

(yay, both gifs got posted since you quoted.)

It may be the hat, he does wear it the whole game and is obviously a defining part of his character. The game is definitely set in a small town around Britain though.

Here's the Steam Store Page.

And here was my review of the game:
Contradiction is a live-action FMV Murder-Mystery game. You play as Inspector Jenks, a British Policeman who goes to investigate the death of a girl named Katie in a small outskirt village. Her death was investigated and called a suicide, but there was morphine in her blood at her time of death and her driver's license was pinned to a tree in the forest away from the scene of her death, leading our character to suspect there's more involved in this case which he takes personal interest in. His work quickly leads him to find there is indeed something going on in this town...

So, like many FMV games, this game does have an edge of B-charm, laugh-out-loud moments, a lot of this comes from some of the acting and facial expressions the actors can have in specific scenes. But that's not to say this is a so-bad-it's-good type of game, in fact the opposite, it actually got kind of gripping as it developed and in contrast some moments were acted out rather well. It's got a multi-layered mystery that gets deeper and deeper as the night goes on, and is actually surprisingly interesting.

Gameplay is rather basic. You walk around a town and look for clues hidden about, and people to interview. When you interview people, you take out clues, both physical and conversation topics you earn from talking to others, and watch FMV scenes as they interact. When the scene is done, your character has taken 'notes' to the key points of the discussion. You then can take the key notes from that discussion, and every other discussion you've had with that character, and try and spot any 'contradictions' the character may have said. If you find a contradicting point, it triggers another scene, which either will lead to you having to do further digging or creates a new conversation topic you can raise up to others. Other conversation topics can be found around as objects or weird things in town that strike up a good conversation topic, and some rare objects found can be used to explore deeper certain areas in the village.

The game has a solid cast of something like 10 main characters, and is backed by some rather good-quality video for the backgrounds, FMV scenes, etc., and an actually pretty wonderful soundtrack. Music added a lot to specific scenes, and there were a few moments without music where you can hear the atmosphere sounds and drone noises that made some scenes legitimately creepy. On that, while the game is down-toned most of the time, there's the odd scene that plays every once in a while that can catch you off-guard, something that's just kind of creepy, or unexpected, shocking in some cases. I won't spoil anything with that, but the game has a few sudden scenes that happen as you investigate that might catch you off-guard.

It's got a few minor flaws. There are a few times where something the character said was obviously a lie or a contradiction to something you already knew, but because you didn't have the 'conversation topic' piece, you couldn't accuse them of this. A few contradictions (or what seem like contradictions) the game doesn't think quite are. Also the game, while it does have an ending and wraps up the case, proposes more questions, especially near the very end, and has several loose plot threads. They seem to be a sequel hook, and past the game credits a message pops-up confirms this saying "Thanks For Playing!", they'd like to make a sequel, but the only way to do so is for the game to do well-enough, and they appreciate reviews/videos/the like on their project.

So that raises the question, "Is it worth it?" To which I say, for me, absolutely so. I liked it, I enjoyed it. There were a few moments I got stumped on what to do (get too stuck and you can use a cheat system to tell you what to do next, a feature I never used, or call your chief for a vague general hint) and as you collect more clues you're given maybe too many conversation points to look over, but I actually ended up enjoying the mystery that unveiled in the game, the loose plot threads interest me to see continued, and the story had some fun twists and turns, was sometimes unintentionally amusing, but other times more consciously so, and was gripping at times. Worth it if an FMV Murder-Mystery sounds up your alley, and want something between hammy entertainment and something more gripping and interesting. Hope to see this world revisited in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom