• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2015 - _ Diretide Greetings and Happy Holidailies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Copons

Just get Combined Community Codec Pack.

Thanks, installed it and everything seems to work fine except subs that look totally shit compared to VLC.
All aliased and blurry as if they were rendered as raster images, where in VLC are properly rendered as vector fonts.

Coreda

Realized the games drive isn't part of the regular image backup and can't revert/preserve an earlier version.

j11TlWt.gif

C'est la vie. You'll be remembered fondly v1.06.

Knurek

Thanks, installed it and everything seems to work fine except subs that look totally shit compared to VLC.
All aliased and blurry as if they were rendered as raster images, where in VLC are properly rendered as vector fonts.

Options->Playback->Check 'Use the built-in subtitle renderer'

Uzzy

SFV beta's back up, and they've added Rashid, R.Mika, Karin and Raul Julia to the mix. Everyone but F.A.N.G is now in, sweet.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Uzzy, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

header.jpg

Street Fighter V Beta -- MB-C85C465FF28EC95E - Taken by spindoctor. 2 entrants total.

t1450615254z1.png

I'm curious how the lack of Dailies/Flash sales has affected the sale. Personally, I gave almost no shits about the Autumn sale. Outside some meta game I'm interested in (Clickerssssssss), probably not going to pay much attention here either.

AHA-Lambda

Playing Contradiction right now, why has no one mentioned Ryan?? This guy is giving Jenks a run for his money in how hammy he is XD

XShagrath

I hope Winter sale is like the autumn one, with no 'daily' deals. Let me have a life, Valve.
While no dailies will allow me to have a normal sleep schedule during my vacation, I'm still gonna miss it. I looked at the store maybe only three times during the Autumn sale.

I'll miss the dailies and flash deals.

Is price really that good with daily sales?

Like "75% off 3 month old AAA game" good?

Give me example what I missing.

Used to be devs/pubs would have their game discounted, let's say 50% for the whole sale then 75% when their game was a daily deal, now without dailies the dev/pubs will just have their games at 50% for the whole sale because no one wants their game that heavily discounted for an entire Steam sale. So overall the discounts are lower on average.

No one has any motivation to come back each day either, you just look at your wishlist on the first day, get what you want then move on, when dailies were a thing people would come back every day for the new deals and because of how limited those deep discount prices were, would probably buy more impulsively because of it.

Ludens

Banned
Used to be devs/pubs would have their game discounted, let's say 50% for the whole sale then 75% when their game was a daily deal, now without dailies the dev/pubs will just have their games at 50% for the whole sale because no one wants their game that heavily discounted for an entire Steam sale. So overall the discounts are lower on average.

No one has any motivation to come back each day either, you just look at your wishlist on the first day, get what you want then move on, when dailies were a thing people would come back every day for the new deals and because of how limited those deep discount prices were, would probably buy more impulsively because of it.

The crappy thing is, during winter sale, some publishers changed their discount for a limited time, like Ubisoft. So if you had Ubisoft games on your wishlist, you checked during the first day, you saw nothing interesting, and for you the sale was over. Because why you should check again and again your wish?
If publishers do the same thing during christmas, it will be really awful, because I check one time, if games I'm interested in are not here, my sale is over.

The crappy thing is, during winter sale, some publishers changed their discount for a limited time, like Ubisoft. So if you had Ubisoft games on your wishlist, you checked during the first day, you saw nothing interesting, and for you the sale was over. Because why you should check again and again your wish?
If publishers do the same thing during christmas, it will be really awful, because I check one time, if games I'm interested in are not here, my sale is over.

Yeah exactly, there is no party that wins in this situation, people buy less, devs/pubs sell less, less traffic and impulse purchases, it sucks. I guess Valve has less work to do each day of the sale now, maybe that's why they did lol.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
So, question, I'm currently making the Steam Page for my other project, Red Haze.

FIRSTLY, this is what appears on the Steam Store page, the image on lists, do you think this is decently eye-catching? Too cluttered? Think it's good?

tumblr_nznua4J7Kx1se6ntfo1_250.png

(why does this one have to be so small. ;3; Not cluttering it is hard...)

Secondly, there's a few more trailers I need to put together, but for a little freeware game, does this look fine for the store front and the description?

dfd13d2138fc59d6bbd970e2b9cc7f4d.png

d8139656fb5e50a98581efdc8993453e.png

I thank you very much for your guy's opinions.

OMG the dad character is brilliant!! XD

"she was one gherkin short of a big mac"

Yup, as been said, Ryan and his father in Contradiction are great.

Arthea

It's never been "75% off 3 months old game" good. Never. Maybe that much off a recently released late port, but that's it.

Aren't we forgetting something? Like we have amnesia, perhaps?
90% after month was its sale price, not even a daily

aside of games bombing, wouldn't it be unreasonable to even hope for such a discount? there were quite good discounts as dailies of newish games, tho

edited: what's up with this thread being almost dead so close to sale? It's kinda scary how far we went towards oblivion and it took only a year or so, the power of community

So, question, I'm currently making the Steam Page for my other project, Red Haze.

FIRSTLY, this is what appears on the Steam Store page, the image on lists, do you think this is decently eye-catching? Too cluttered? Think it's good?

tumblr_nznua4J7Kx1se6ntfo1_250.png

(why does this one have to be so small. ;3; Not cluttering it is hard...)

Secondly, there's a few more trailers I need to put together, but for a little freeware game, does this look fine for the store front and the description?

dfd13d2138fc59d6bbd970e2b9cc7f4d.png

d8139656fb5e50a98581efdc8993453e.png

I thank you very much for your guy's opinions.

Yup, as been said, Ryan and his father in Contradiction are great.

It's kind of hard to read the name of the game in that first image, but the rest of the store page looks good.

Arthea

Life is Strange
Vanishing of Ethan Carter
Chroma Squad
Metro Last Light ( is this even sold anymore )
Animu games
*Everything 75% off at least or no sell for me

Life is Strange - very unlikely
Vanishing of Ethan Carter (I'm not sure they will even sell an old version and improved one is too new, so nope)
MLL? It was on sale so many times outside steam, where have you been?

I wonder will SE ignore this sale too? It seems very likely considering what pitiful vouchers were included in that mystery box of theirs.

edited: also I wonder about metagame, I hope it is not don't dare to click metagame.

edit2: talking about Life is Strange it's in top ten of certain GOTY awards, while Witcher is at the top yet again - Gamekult Awards 2015

Jazz573

Life is Strange - very unlikely
Vanishing of Ethan Carter (I'm not sure they will even sell an old version and improved one is too new, so nope)
MLL? It was on sale so many times outside steam, where have you been?

I wonder will SE ignore this sale too? It seems very likely considering what pitiful vouchers were included in that mystery box of theirs.

edited: also I wonder about metagame, I hope it is not don't dare to click metagame.

The metagame is, don't buy anything because the sale will suck because no dailys. :p

Grief.exe

I'm curious how the lack of Dailies/Flash sales has affected the sale. Personally, I gave almost no shits about the Autumn sale. Outside some meta game I'm interested in (Clickerssssssss), probably not going to pay much attention here either.

Anecdotal evidence, but I noticed myself and others, spending significantly more in the Autumn sale due to the niche games on the wishlist actually going on full discount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom