• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2016 - Winter (Sale) Is Coming Dec 22nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

whyarewestillherejustusufh.png

Volimar

Man that squeenix holiday box is tempting. But considering all I really want is maybe FF 4 and 6 I guess I'll hold off and hope for a discount during winter sale.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Who was the Fate series fanboy? Shack or Munch?

If you're referring to this

Then yes, I will shill it all day long. It's basically a casual diablo clone that doesn't take itself too seriously. It's kind of like the alpha version of Torchlight.

If you're referring to this:

Fate_Extella.png

You can get out of here with your anime garbage

Tizoc

Then yes, I will shill it all day long. It's basically a casual diablo clone that doesn't take itself too seriously. It's kind of like the alpha version of Torchlight.

Fate_Extella.png

Ima have to stop u right there and shill on how awesome fate/zero is
I need to rewatch it again someday

Catshade

That's so Ocelot.

Yes sir. The entire unit was wiped out. Those two are still alive. The vector? Yes sir. FoxDie should become activated soon... Right on schedule.

Yes sir. I recovered all of Rex's dummy warhead data. ...No sir. My cover is intact. Nobody knows who I really am. Yes the DARPA Chief knew my identity but he's been disposed of.

Yes. Thank you. Good-bye. Mr. President.

yuraya

That's so Ocelot.

Yes sir. The entire unit was wiped out. Those two are still alive. The vector? Yes sir. FoxDie should become activated soon... Right on schedule.

Yes sir. I recovered all of Rex's dummy warhead data. ...No sir. My cover is intact. Nobody knows who I really am. Yes the DARPA Chief knew my identity but he's been disposed of.

Yes. Thank you. Good-bye. Mr. President.

That's Major Ocelot to you.

And don't you forget it!

HardRojo

Hello, I got a new laptop yesterday so I'm trying to play some games on Steam that I've been wanting to play for a while. How can I use a Dualshock 4 on Arkham Asylum? Steam officially supports the DS4, but when I try to map the buttons from the DS4 into the Arkham Asylum button mapping menu nothing happens.

data

Hello, I got a new laptop yesterday so I'm trying to play some games on Steam that I've been wanting to play for a while. How can I use a Dualshock 4 on Arkham Asylum? Steam officially supports the DS4, but when I try to map the buttons from the DS4 into the Arkham Asylum button mapping menu nothing happens.

Have you enabled DS4 support? If not, click on BPM (The controller in the top right on steam), go to the gear on the top right, go to controller and it should say enable DS4 support somewhere

If that still doesn't work, download inputmapper.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

You need to switch to Big Picture Mode and either download or set up a button configuration profile. The DS4 being supported by the Steam Controller API doesn't mean every Steam game now natively supports the DS4.

Steam should have detected the DS4 automatically, but if not, refer to the first half of data's post.

Anyone doing an Astroneer OT for the early access release today? I remember one of the mods being a big fan of this game when videos were released.

Madn

Does the fact that Dead by Daylight is currently on sale diminish the chances of it being on sale again for Christmas?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

Fate_Extella.png

the former, I knew it was one of you two.

Grief.exe

Alternatively, you can simply use DS4 Windows to force games to detect the DS4 as an Xinput controller.

I know the answer is probably no but I'll ask anyway...

Does anyone here have an unused Splinter Cell: Conviction key from the past Humble Uplay bundles that they don't want/haven't redeemed?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
the former, I knew it was one of you two.

The games certainly aren't as in-depth as other more notable entries in the genre, usually taking less than 10 hours to complete. I would liken them more to Diablo 1 than anything else probably, mostly because you have a labyrinth with multiple levels that you delve, kill monsters, loot corpses of treasure, town portal, rinse and repeat. The character models are a bit cartoony but do actually change based on the equipment you're wearing. The games are a bit dated and are missing a lot of modern ARPG quality of life improvements, but to me that's part of their charm.

For me personally, I consider these games to be the gold standard of "how to release an older game on Steam correctly". They have achievements, trading cards, cloud saving, leaderboards, the works. They're also priced right at $8 each, and routinely go on sale for 75% and have been included in bundles.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm pretty sure you can just switch classes in an inn with some stuff carrying over from one class to the other
You can switch to every class you want at the inn in Gran Soren. Just try out what you want until you find something fun. Also, learned passives from any class can be equipped for any other class as well.

do i go back to lvl 1 or something?

Dragon's Dogma and Skyrim are exactly the same on the best OP classes to play as, and that is Magic Archers.

bow and arrow does feel op but i wanna climb monsters!

Knurek

For me personally, I consider these games to be the gold standard of "how to release an older game on Steam correctly". They have achievements, trading cards, cloud saving, leaderboards, the works. They're also priced right at $8 each, and routinely go on sale for 75% and have been included in bundles.

Yeah, I wish Acti added cheevos/card to the Sierra re-releases, would love to replay Gabriel Knight sometime.

HardRojo

Have you enabled DS4 support? If not, click on BPM (The controller in the top right on steam), go to the gear on the top right, go to controller and it should say enable DS4 support somewhere

If that still doesn't work, download inputmapper.

You need to switch to Big Picture Mode and either download or set up a button configuration profile. The DS4 being supported by the Steam Controller API doesn't mean every Steam game now natively supports the DS4.

Steam should have detected the DS4 automatically, but if not, refer to the first half of data's post.

Alternatively, you can simply use DS4 Windows to force games to detect the DS4 as an Xinput controller.

Thanks, Steam detected the Dualshock 4 and I started mapping the buttons, but it seems Arkham Asylum button mapping is so convoluted it won't let me configure a controller layout that's similar to the consoles. Was this game not developed on PC with controller users in mind? Hopefully Arkham City is much better in this regard, unless I'm missing something here. For example, there are certain actions that require double tapping, holding a trigger or simply tapping quickly, it seems like there's no option to configure buttons this way on the button mapping menu for AA :(

shockdude

All I remember about FATE is how it would come with every prebuilt laptop as part of some WildTangent game trial launcher. It was a good game while the trial lasted.

Tizoc

The games certainly aren't as in-depth as other more notable entries in the genre, usually taking less than 10 hours to complete. I would liken them more to Diablo 1 than anything else probably, mostly because you have a labyrinth with multiple levels that you delve, kill monsters, loot corpses of treasure, town portal, rinse and repeat. The character models are a bit cartoony but do actually change based on the equipment you're wearing. The games are a bit dated and are missing a lot of modern ARPG quality of life improvements, but to me that's part of their charm.

Have u played deathspank before? The series is diablo clone as well

data

Thanks, Steam detected the Dualshock 4 and I started mapping the buttons, but it seems Arkham Asylum button mapping is so convoluted it won't let me configure a controller layout that's similar to the consoles. Was this game not developed on PC with controller users in mind? Hopefully Arkham City is much better in this regard, unless I'm missing something here. For example, there are certain actions that require double tapping, holding a trigger or simply tapping quickly, it seems like there's no option to configure buttons this way on the button mapping menu for AA :(

The default xinput config should be exactly like the consoles

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

are the later ones less... dated? I tried the first and yeesh >_>

If you plug in a Xbox 360 controller, it uses the exact same mapping as the consoles do. The Steam controller works out of the box as well with no remapping needed (though it didn't work too well with some of the minigames so I went back to the 360 controller).

Have you just tried using the DS4 without remapping everything?

Oh ok, will try that now then. Hopefully it works, I'm kinda new to this lol so it's going to take some time getting used to.

First rule of PC: just try stuff and troubleshoot later.

Phawx

First rule of PC: just try stuff and troubleshoot later.

More or less this is the way I go. Though I think I've been conditioned into a place where I don't actually expect a PC game to work without putting some effort in.

Xinput has made PC gaming so much better, for better or worse.

Outside of that, sometimes when I see people going out of their way to add or remove effects from games, that's a step I usually don't take.

Ascheroth

cool

and you get class points through class levels right?

so if i turn warrior i won't have wasted like 22 normal levels of class points?

The Discipline points are shared for all classes, so you won't get back what you already spent, but you can use the unused points with the new class right from the get go.
Exception are the passive Augments which can be equipped with any class as soon as you unlock one.

Also Discipline points really are a non-issue, you'll get more than enough. I've switched through probably 6 different classes while playing.

zkylon

zkylewd
The Discipline points are shared for all classes, so you won't get back what you already spent, but you can use the unused points with the new class right from the get go.
Exception are the passive Augments which can be equipped with any class as soon as you unlock one.

Also Discipline points really are a non-issue, you'll get more than enough. I've switched through probably 6 different classes while playing.

i want something that gives me more stamina

the double jump was a game changer but omg stopping every 15 seconds or something is the worst

jshackles

Have u played deathspank before? The series is diablo clone as well

I played the first one(?) when I had it on the Xbox 360 like a million years ago, it seemed cool.

are the later ones less... dated? I tried the first and yeesh >_>

The games get progressively better as they go. The fourth game is obviously the best when it comes to quality of life improvements and even has AI companions so that you can create a party that complements your character class in addition to pets.

Nzyme32

If you plug in a Xbox 360 controller, it uses the exact same mapping as the consoles do. The Steam controller works out of the box as well with no remapping needed (though it didn't work too well with some of the minigames so I went back to the 360 controller).

This is a really interesting point - though it has been an easily solvable problem for me. Generally speaking, I will always go for the "mouse-like stick" option, with in game sensitivity cranked as high as possible (failing that, or if it feels better, I'd always go with mouse and keyboard for proper mouse camera control, sacrificing analogue movement if I must).

With games like GTA V, where there are rare QTEs that demand a particular input style like analogue sticks on both pads - I simply enable a mode shift on one of the grips in a double tap config that is fast enough to not be misinterpreted. This way I can have whatever I want on the grips, but also have that toggle of inputs when a QTE pops up. Much easier to use than I originally thought

Ascheroth

i want something that gives me more stamina

the double jump was a game changer but omg stopping every 15 seconds or something is the worst

IIrc playing as a Ranger gives you more Stamina on level-up than other classes, so might be worth it to play a few level as that (also helps that bows are awesome anyway)

fantomena

Ive kinda wondered this for a very long time, but never bothered asking. When games (in this case Titanfall 2) let's me choose between anisotropic x16, bilinear and trilinear. What is recommended/looks best?

HardRojo

Have you just tried using the DS4 without remapping everything?

Fuck me! It's working exactly as the consoles now and I didn't need to install DS4 for Windows or anything else, silly me. Thanks for the help!

Nzyme32

Ive kinda wondered this for a very long time, but never bothered asking. When games (in this case Titanfall 2) let's me choose between anisotropic x16, bilinear and trilinear. What is recommended/looks best?

16x anisotropic texture filtering is easily the best looking and on PC at least has very little performance requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom