• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2016 - Winter (Sale) Is Coming Dec 22nd

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a really interesting point - though it has been an easily solvable problem for me. Generally speaking, I will always go for the "mouse-like stick" option, with in game sensitivity cranked as high as possible (failing that, or if it feels better, I'd always go with mouse and keyboard for proper mouse camera control, sacrificing analogue movement if I must).

With games like GTA V, where there are rare QTEs that demand a particular input style like analogue sticks on both pads - I simply enable a mode shift on one of the grips in a double tap config that is fast enough to not be misinterpreted. This way I can have whatever I want on the grips, but also have that toggle of inputs when a QTE pops up. Much easier to use than I originally thought

This is an interesting idea. I'll keep it in mind as I continue to use the Steam Controller.

Batman games have the hacking gizmo that requires the analog sticks to be at certain angles, and I just couldn't wrap my head around how to mock that on the Steam Controller.

Fuck me! It's working exactly as the consoles now and I didn't need to install DS4 for Windows or anything else, silly me. Thanks for the help!

You betcha. Enjoy, I just wrapped up Batman Arkham Asylum a few weeks ago and it was still super fun. Looks great on PC if you crank it up.

16x anisotropic texture filtering is easily the best looking and on PC at least has very little performance requirement.

I demand anisotropic filtering. The first thing I do in any game is turn up the anisotropic filtering as high as it goes. Did this even on my older shittier PC. If the game doesn't have the setting, I force it through nVidia control panel.

Hmmm.... Deadlight shows up on my game queue. This looks interesting, let me check the store page.

Reviews say Overall: Very Positive, Recent: Very Positive.

That's encouraging, let me scroll down and read a couple.

Top handful of recent reviews all say "Not Recommended" mostly because apparently the controls are garbo.

Opinions, Steam-GAF?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Hmmm.... Deadlight shows up on my game queue. This looks interesting, let me check the store page.

Reviews say Overall: Very Positive, Recent: Very Positive.

That's encouraging, let me scroll down and read a couple.

Top handful of recent reviews all say "Not Recommended" mostly because apparently the controls are garbo.

Opinions, Steam-GAF?

I liked Deadlight a lot, and the controls aren't garbage. What they are is "heavy" -- like Flashback, Another World, Blackthorne, Prince of Persia (classic), and other 2D platformers with heavy physics. If there is an actual weakness to Deadlight, it's that certain sequences have instant death that you're not likely to avoid the first time, so some people feel the game is trial and error-ish. In addition, the middle quarter of the game takes place in a sewer and no one likes sewers.

That being said, Deadlight also has a Director's Cut. The Director's Cut is $5 more expensive, has limited extra features, doesn't seem to look or perform better, and is mostly a cash grab by their new publisher Deep Silver. But you might find that during a sale it gets a steeper discount than the original. Or maybe not, I don't know.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
If anyone is thinking about chasing down a cheap key for Last Survivor, don't bother as I bought two from G2A, each from a different seller, and both were "dupes", so I'd guess unused ones were blacklisted. According to the G2A product page, the developer is selling keys himself for ~AUD$18, but in this instance that's more than I'm willing to pay for something I'll never touch.

Tizoc

If anyone is thinking about chasing down a cheap key for Last Survivor, don't bother as I bought two from G2A, each from a different seller, and both were "dupes", so I'd guess unused ones were blacklisted. According to the G2A product page, the developer is selling keys himself for ~AUD$18, but that's more than I'm willing to pay for something I'll never touch.
Inoughta slap the saoirae out of you for even thinking of buying from g2a

JaseC

Inoughta slap the saoirae out of you for even thinking of buying from g2a

Well, G2A and presumably Kinguin were my only choices in this case as the game was pulled (again) only ~an hour ago. I didn't even realise it'd returned.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Someone hook me up with a Steam copy of The Movies.

The best I can do is hook you up with a copy of The Movies by Alien Ant Farm.

Almost. The inventory system was launched at the beginning of September 2011 while the game was pulled in March 2012.

Oh damn, didn't realize there was a 6 month crossover period. I'm surprised it is as hard to find as it is, then. Though if I remember correctly is was randomly pulled and I don't think people had the mindset of stocking up on removed games then as they do now.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Here's how That Shady Key Reseller Website asked me to prove my identity:
- Turn off my VPN
- Order a product I don't want
- When I get to the payment step, close the order and don't pay for it
- Send the failed order's order ID to their support
- They will "record my IP", which will unlock the previous successful order I made and actually did want.

Wok

I don't think people had the mindset of stocking up on removed games then as they do now.

Yeah, these days, even I own a bunch of copies of Pat & Mat in my inventory.

f70iLMh.png

Sitting on copies of games that will make me richer. Maybe the Steam Gift one is The Movies, who knows? :p

JaseC

There's probably a copy sitting on one of those 1 billion yahoo accounts that were hacked.

Haha, sifting through one billion accounts might take me a while.

Oh damn, didn't realize there was a 6 month crossover period. I'm surprised it is as hard to find as it is, then. Though if I remember correctly is was randomly pulled and I don't think people had the mindset of stocking up on removed games then as they do now.

Yeah, it was still early days.

Has a worse idea ever happened in the history of gaming than confirming every single card sale on your phone individually?

I hope the guy that thought of this is fired.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Has a worse idea ever happened in the history of gaming than confirming every single card sale on your phone individually?

I hope the guy that thought of this is fired.

You can click that white box on the right side to check it, then bulk confirm. It's not very intuitive how they have it set up.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
new 8-bit game out (man I really need to get these I hear they are great), 8-Bit Invaders, and you can win a copy of 8-bit Horders doing shit in the game, which is... novel at least

"HOW DOES IT WORK?
Starting on December 16th, 8-Bit Invaders players will complete every mission in the Co-Op campaign in order to earn a free Steam key for 8-Bit Hordes. Earning at least one star in each Co-Op mission signifies that you have beat the mission and missions can be played in any order. Once you have completed every mission, return to the 8-Bit Invaders main menu and click the CHECK REWARD button to claim your prize. A key will be made available inside the game which you can record or have emailed to you. The pop-up info page on the main menu will also show your progress on how many missions have been completed.

WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
This special event is available to all players world-wide of any age. All you need is a STEAM version of 8-Bit-Invaders and a friend with the game that’s willing to help you win all 10 missions.

HOW LONG DOES THIS PROMOTION LAST?
The promotion ends on January 3rd, 2017. You must win every mission AND claim your free key before this date.

WHAT IF I ALREADY OWN HORDES?
You can still get a free Steam Key, but you won’t be able to apply it to your account if you already own the game. It’s the holidays, so feel free to gift it to a friend!"

You can click that white box on the right side to check it, then bulk confirm. It's not very intuitive how they have it set up.

I know I do that, although after about 4 or 5 it gets an error so I can only do 4 or 5 at a time :(

new 8-bit game out (man I really need to get these I hear they are great), 8-Bit Invaders, and you can win a copy of 8-bit Horders doing shit in the game, which is... novel at least

"HOW DOES IT WORK?
Starting on December 16th, 8-Bit Invaders players will complete every mission in the Co-Op campaign in order to earn a free Steam key for 8-Bit Hordes. Earning at least one star in each Co-Op mission signifies that you have beat the mission and missions can be played in any order. Once you have completed every mission, return to the 8-Bit Invaders main menu and click the CHECK REWARD button to claim your prize. A key will be made available inside the game which you can record or have emailed to you. The pop-up info page on the main menu will also show your progress on how many missions have been completed.

WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
This special event is available to all players world-wide of any age. All you need is a STEAM version of 8-Bit-Invaders and a friend with the game that’s willing to help you win all 10 missions.

HOW LONG DOES THIS PROMOTION LAST?
The promotion ends on January 3rd, 2017. You must win every mission AND claim your free key before this date.

WHAT IF I ALREADY OWN HORDES?
You can still get a free Steam Key, but you won’t be able to apply it to your account if you already own the game. It’s the holidays, so feel free to gift it to a friend!"

That is a really good idea! Its like the good part of the old steam sales, reborn.

Phawx

So Last Survivor was released just to be pulled?

...apparently I own Last Survivor Deluxe edition?

Wait. When I search on steam, it says "In Library" but when I go looking for it, I don't see squat.

Here's how That Shady Key Reseller Website asked me to prove my identity:
- Turn off my VPN
- Order a product I don't want
- When I get to the payment step, close the order and don't pay for it
- Send the failed order's order ID to their support
- They will "record my IP", which will unlock the previous successful order I made and actually did want.
Seems legit. What could go wrong

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
speaking of short game recomendations, Yakku came through with a actual good one, unlike some people in this thread with cat avatars, Detective Grimoire. I played just a little bit last night and damn if it didnt leave a great first impression. Supposed to be about 2 hours or so, so im deffinately going to be playing that one tonight.

You suck Wok

Wok

Wasnt it being delisted Jan 1st? So winter seal?

Yeah, we still have the Winter sales.

speaking of short game recomendations, Yakku came through with a actual good one, unlike some people in this thread with cat avatars, Detective Grimoire. I played just a little bit last night and damn if it didnt leave a great first impression. Supposed to be about 2 hours or so, so im deffinately going to be playing that one tonight.

You suck Wok

sJ8UxA5.png

Just kidding, I remember you liked Message Quest, which I suggested.

rtcn63

Buy rifle for ski lift section.

Sell rifle after ski lift section to buy the semi-auto in the castle five minutes later.

I usually do that part in RE4 with the handgun, but I was really low on health items and didn't want to risk it.

JaseC

Lionsgate has finally released its first non-US region-specific title and... *drum roll* it's Nashville s05, exclusive to Canada, France and Germany:

This is actually notable for another reason: the season debuted just yesterday, so episodes two and onward will unlock after they've aired.

Platy

Yeah, these days, even I own a bunch of copies of Pat & Mat in my inventory.

f70iLMh.png

Sitting on copies of games that will make me richer. Maybe the Steam Gift one is The Movies, who knows? :p

WOW !

I don't know which is more mind blown ... if is that the weird european children cartoon that I watched as a kid has a game on steam ... or that was completely killed and I will never be able to play it because no way I am going to pay for a discontinued game xD

kevin1025

Banned
Lionsgate has finally released its first non-US region-specific title and... *drum roll* it's Nashville s05, exclusive to Canada:

This is actually notable for another reason: the season debuted just yesterday, so episodes two and onward will unlock after they've aired.

Canada knows where it's at yet again!

Lionsgate has finally released its first non-US region-specific title and... *drum roll* it's Nashville s05, exclusive to Canada:

$40.04! (I didnt even know Steam had TV shows)

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

That's interesting. It's an American show that aired on ABC but was canceled, only to be revived on CMT, a cable channel ostensibly about country music.

They must not have found anyone to air the show in Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom