• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2016 - Winter (Sale) Is Coming Dec 22nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nillansan

Ross Brierley at Ghostlight a new blog entry that looks back on the games that they ported over the last year and it contains a few hints regarding their upcoming PC releases.

Ross Brierley said:
So that’s 2016, but what’s coming up in 2017? Well, first of all we’re very close to signing a couple of console JRPGs, to port to PC. Neither of these games are part of a series which have been released on PC in the past, so fans of JRPGs on PC will have something totally new to look forward to.

Ross Brierley said:
I’ll be back in January with our first major announcement of 2017, at which point I’ll have been working here at Ghostlight for 10 years. Although, if, say, one of the major online gaming stores was to run a big sale over the Christmas period, then there might be a blog post about it, but that does seem rather unlikely… *winks*

A look back at 2016.

Nillansan

The bitching about Steam sales in these threads has got to be the single worst thing about the sales or the threads anymore. I get it, the games YOU want aren't discounted AS MUCH as YOU want. Boo hoo. Every single sale it's the exact same complaints and those complaints go back years, even to sales that now are considered good. Yet every single sale I get emails from isThereAnyDeal with anywhere from 20-50% of my wishlist getting historic or new historic lows. That's 100 games, that aren't just +1 fodder, but things I actually want to play.

Seriously, it's a bunch of grumpy old people complaining about how kids listen to terrible music. It's whiny, removed from any objective analysis, and a waste of time. It also sounds pretty heartless to the devs that actually make the games that we enjoy, since they're the ones that suffer from free-fall discounts, if anyone.

Buy games that are worth it to you. Don't buy ones that aren't. There's even a 2 week, 2 hour window to return something if it doesn't click for you for the price you paid. It has never been easier to know if you spent your money wisely on a game.

I don't mind anime derails, Sony derails, SEGA derails, meme assaults, or any of the number of other things that make the community a community. But the same few people complaining the exact same way about the exact same thing they've been complaining about for literally years is just... dumb. After this rant I guess I'll just any I see on my empty ignore list but it is just frustrating to see such toxic refrain repeated so tenaciously with nothing achieved from it.

Thank you, I fully agree.

rtcn63

The invisible bugs in RE4 are a bit unfair. Even when backed into a corner, they can jump on top of you even when you're throwing down shotgun shells.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
07d046e1-ffdb-4193-a0ad-a4e5ebe15313.jpg

Bundlestars

rtcn63

I still haven't played any of the RE7 demos because I'd have to disconnect my DS4 from my PC and we all know how much that shit can trigger me

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
the Yogscast bundle finally started to sell out -- if you buy now you are missing King Arthur's Gold, as well as the game to be revealed on the 19th, the 23rd, the 30th, and the 31st. You'll still get the other games. Not sure why those games in specific opted out of sales in excess of 50k or whatever, but King Arthur's Gold has been extensively bundled before now.

Ha, you beat me to the punch!

Demo will be released simultaneously worldwide per time table below:
−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−
UTC 12/19 00:00
PST 12/18 16:00 (Americas)
GMT 12/19 00:00 (Europe)
JST 12/19 09:00 (Japan)
HKT 12/19 08:00 (Asia)
−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−

So yes, the demo is scheduled to come out just a hair bit early. Hope you all enjoy it. In terms of performance and customization options, it should be fairly indicative of the final product. Do note that the demo currently lacks borderless window mode due to a last minute bug.
Give me this sweet birthday present, Capcom. I need it.

the Yogscast bundle finally started to sell out -- if you buy now you are missing King Arthur's Gold, as well as the game to be revealed on the 19th, the 23rd, the 30th, and the 31st. You'll still get the other games. Not sure why those games in specific opted out of sales in excess of 50k or whatever, but King Arthur's Gold has been extensively bundled before now.

Worst handled bundle I've seen so far. That it's charity doesn't really excuse how it tries to trigger people to throw money at it, in so many ways that are just wrong.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Not just that. Games that have gotten broken as new OSes came out also get removed. You will notice a pattern with most of the Ubi games that are removed year after year: their steam discussion forum is filling up with people having black screens, crashes, not even being able to launch the game.

Ah, yeah, I'd forgotten about RUSE (it's one of the titles that Win10's touch service interferes with), but after sifting through one of the two Ubi employee subs it seems to be the only such example thus far.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I thought the story was OK. I liked City more personally due to the combat and the boss fights were pretty good.

Interesting ranking on learning difficulty of the GG Xrd R cast

Can't say I really enjoyed the boss fights too much, either

I thought the story was OK. I liked City more personally due to the combat and the boss fights were pretty good.

Interesting ranking on learning difficulty of the GG Xrd R cast

Speaking of GG Xrd R, what's the singleplayer content? Arcade mode and? There's still that mode with the kinda rpg stats etc?

rtcn63

The last EA games I thoroughly enjoyed were Skate and Rock Band and neither are on PC, so.

I tried Skate years ago on 360, and could not get the hang of turning/spinning the analog sticks to perform moves. Maybe it was just conditioning- I grew up playing THPS in most of its incarnations.

Jawmuncher

I bought battlefront back due to my friends and we played that ducking barely. Had to force myself to trophy hunt to get my money's worth.

Besides that, the only EA stuff that interests me really now is Bioware stuff. Though after inquisition I'm wary of andromeda. They do however have other titles I don't mind playing. But I prefer to either rent or play them through EA Access.

No point in paying $60 or hell even more than $5 bucks for a month of EA Access when I'm just gonna play a story mode and never touch the game again.

The other big western devs, Activision I do the same thing with. Everything they have that appeals to me is about 6 hours long so I rent it. Ubisoft on the off chance they have something that appeals to me (usually the tom Clancy line or watch dogs). I wait until it's 20 or less.

These days only few companies and titles will get my day one $60 dollar full purchase.

Wok

Worst handled bundle I've seen so far. That it's charity doesn't really excuse how it tries to trigger people to throw money at it, in so many ways that are just wrong.

Blind bundles in general are a bad practice. Here, it is only okay because it is for charity and there is this theme of an advent calendar. I don't know if the limited number is only a marketing argument, there might be a good reason for it, only time will tell.

Incoming The Movies vs Martian Stalin?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Considering that Activision has been pumping out the Sierra rereleases as of late, there's little excuse to not rerelease The Movies.

Acti didn't pull it voluntarily. Publishing rights defaulted to Microsoft as Lionhead owned the IP and game itself.

Edit: Oh, and speaking of removed games, my enquiry about Commandos: Strike Force once again fell on deaf ears... or rather blind eyes: I sent the message via Facebook, so I know it was read six days ago ("Seen on December 12"). Bah. :(

Parsnip

Last EA game I bought is Dragon Age Inquisition. Bought it during launch, still haven't played it. Even took the time to do the whole web thing to map out my choices from previous games since I didn't have my saves.

Also, bought Xanadu Next from humble. It better be good, don't fail me now Steamgaf.

Blind bundles in general are a bad practice. Here, it is only okay because it is for charity and there is this theme of an advent calendar. I don't know if the limited number is only a marketing argument, there might be a good reason for it, only time will tell.

Got no problems with blind bundles as long as people can jump in whenever during the period they are available, but this whole limited availability is a very bad idea. To try and urge people to spend the highest bundle price so far, by not being clear about which games will be available, and for how long, it's a bad practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom