• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2016 - Winter (Sale) Is Coming Dec 22nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ludens

Banned
ModBot said:
Instructions for Ludens:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ludens, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Wyatt Derp 1 -- MB-53E820EABE61E26B - Taken by Mackenzie 92
Another removed game.

Wok

Edit: I swear I did not time this to be top of a page >.>

Relevant tweets by Rami Ismail yesterday:

Dokq7Ox.png

Maybe the observation below will annoy you, yet look at the stats:

Okay, the game is niche, but the weird pricing might not have resulted in amazing revenue.

As Rami pointed out, the good thing is that since the game is good, it got close to 100% positive reviews, but apart from this, does it "pay the rent" (that is the subject of a bunch of recent tweets about indie dev by Rami)?

And this is a game made by someone who has been making games for years and has been featured in tweets by Jonathan Blow not long after The Witness was released, so it got exposure to the target audience.

Edit: There are 5,000 owners though, so maybe it was the right move for him. It might translate into $100,000 revenue for the year. My example contradicts my point.

Grief.exe

Relevant tweets by Rami Ismail yesterday:

Dokq7Ox.png

Yes, you see this human psychology on display frequently in Early Access games like Rimworld, Factorio, etc that intentionally keep the price high in order to target a particular demographic.

Dragon Age: Inquisition feels awful lot like a singleplayer MMO from what I have played in these first couple hours. It reminds me a lot of Kingdoms of Amalur, another singeplayer MMO.

SW Battlefront really feels...incomplete. I mean, I played a couple of hours and it seems like there are only three maps, Hoth, Endor and the desert one. You need to spend good money to get variety in this game.

Quit playing games published by EA fam.

e6ZCoNc.gif

It's reasonable to keep the price relatively high during sales when there seems to be some thought behind it, but if 2K keeps the sale for the Rising Tide expansion for Civ: Beyond Earth at just 50% from a base price of 30€ one more time, then I'm deleting
the base game from
my account.

Ludens

Banned
Quit playing games published by EA fam.

e6ZCoNc.gif

Eh, last EA game I played was Dead Space 3 when it was included in the Humble Bundle.
Since EA Access included Battlefront this month, I thought spending 4€ to play that, Unravel, Catalyst and B4/Hardline was ok. For now, I dropped Unravel after the second level because it bored me, Catalyst was boring too but since the main campaign is like 4-5 hours I managed to complete it wasting only my time, Battlefront is nice but as I said the "base" game without dlcs feels empty of contents.

There's Titanfall 1 too, but I doubt the player-base is good those days and there's no single-player content, so I think I won't bother downloading that.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
My last 5 EA new release games:
Mass Effect 3 (Xbox 360)
Warp (Steam -- this is one of the last titles they released on Steam during the transition over to Origin)
Dead Space 3 (Origin, from the Humble Bundle, my only Origin purchase* ever)
Fuse (Xbox 360)
Peggle 2 (Xbox 360)

It's hard to imagine a scenario where I buy another EA game since I'm not going back to Origin, they're not coming back to Steam, and I'm not buying a PS4 or an Xbox One.

wbacon

Capcom USA
Wbacon will probably swing by here but the RE7 demo is going up tomorrow for America

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=226760108

1600 PST

Ha, you beat me to the punch!

Demo will be released simultaneously worldwide per time table below:
−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−
UTC 12/19 00:00
PST 12/18 16:00 (Americas)
GMT 12/19 00:00 (Europe)
JST 12/19 09:00 (Japan)
HKT 12/19 08:00 (Asia)
−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−

So yes, the demo is scheduled to come out just a hair bit early. Hope you all enjoy it. In terms of performance and customization options, it should be fairly indicative of the final product. Do note that the demo currently lacks borderless window mode due to a last minute bug.

Ludens

Banned

−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−
−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−

So yes, the demo is scheduled to come out just a hair bit early. Hope you all enjoy it. In terms of performance and customization options, it should be fairly indicative of the final product. Do note that the demo currently lacks borderless window mode due to a last minute bug.

How is handled the coin stuff on PC? we'll get a steam dlc code to redeem later or the game needs the save like on console? If so, if I uninstall the demo, the save will remain on PC?

−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−
−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−

Neat !
By the way:
GHOST TRICK GHOST TRICK GHOST TRICK GHOST TRICK !!!!
Either that or Okami HD.
GHOST TRICK

wbacon

Capcom USA
How is handled the coin stuff on PC? we'll get a steam dlc code to redeem later or the game needs the save like on console? If so, if I uninstall the demo, the save will remain on PC?

That's a good question and I don't know off hand. I would have to imagine the full game references the save state created by the demo.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of The_Super_Inframan, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 25 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (The_Super_Inframan, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Life of a Pixel -- MB-59D0059EB1040FB4 - Taken by MaxiLive. 7 entrants total.
ABC Coloring Town -- MB-1812E3313FD69CE7
Fabulous Food Truck -- MB-E959F1B3EA92D9B3 - Taken by wetflame. 4 entrants total.
Ultimate Word Search 2: Letter Boxed -- MB-5CBD886B29AEB573
Sinister City -- MB-BD2BDFE0F2881961 - Taken by Loptous. 2 entrants total.
The Hidden Dragon -- MB-F0528A5B20C93983
Ludo Supremo -- MB-36C8D8028C5F5804
Mini Golf Mundo -- MB-C19F7D4DACEFC855 - Taken by fuzzy123. 2 entrants total.
School Bus Fun -- MB-7C6A8CA34BBCFB7D - Taken by longlivegaming. 3 entrants total.
Fantastic 4 In A Row 2 -- MB-E4946EEB2155679F
Octave -- MB-9758BB9FAAE88233 - Taken by Natty1. 6 entrants total.
Legend of Grimrock 2 -- MB-DE3C48D7A487F923 - Taken by darkchewie. 9 entrants total.
Kitty Cat Jigsaw Puzzles -- MB-B55817C9B02AAED6 - Taken by KenOD. 3 entrants total.
Lethal Brutal Racing -- MB-8323BCA84C4660F2 - Taken by voodooray. 1 entrants total.
Puzzles Under The Hill -- MB-D26E039A49CDE348
Mystery Of Rivenhallows -- MB-B3EBE7049E5CA5B3 - Taken by voodooray. 2 entrants total.
Barnyard Mahjong 3 -- MB-790C6B2E85EAF586 - Taken by Purkake4. 1 entrants total.
Mahjong Deluxe 3 -- MB-8386A8F29E130C90 - Taken by voodooray. 2 entrants total.
Etaria -- MB-E8CEFC37A20B87D2 - Taken by Large Professor. 3 entrants total.
Chess Knight 2 -- MB-F1239F54AD5FA544 - Taken by Diedac. 1 entrants total.
Lethal Brutal Racing #2 -- MB-C729B36EA7D2BB07 - Taken by Stumpokapow. 2 entrants total.
Elems -- MB-BE43625A27EC1CBD - Taken by septicore. 2 entrants total.
Samphi -- MB-C73952ECF15DBAFE - Taken by user237. 3 entrants total.
Office Battle -- MB-149CDBE550DAB203 - Taken by rainking187. 3 entrants total.
Fantastic Checkers 2 -- MB-F027051716711A71

t1482004888z1.png

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
really enjoying Flame in the Flood. Love that there is an actual sense of progression, something I feel is lacking in most survival games. Case in point, just did the first major objective (to get to a radio tower to get a boosted signal for my radio) and found out about a new region where there are maybe survivors, which is where im headed now. Nothing major, quite cliche in fct, but its...something, its a goal at least, which again, these games offten lack.

Nabs

EA saved me a whole lot of money by not putting their games on Steam. I tried EA Access for free this summer, and quickly realized that most of their new games are not for me. I never thought I'd delete those NFS games as quickly as I did.

Ganado

For me, it's that EA hasn't made a single game that I'd be interested in. I was gonna buy Sims 4 until reports came in that it was nerfed as fuck and even though I didn't like the SWB beta, I was gonna give it a chance because my friends started playing it. They only did for 2 days though, hah...

I think Origin itself is alright, but EAs games sucks ass.

Hektor

For me, it's that EA hasn't made a single game that I'd be interested in. I was gonna buy Sims 4 until reports came in that it was nerfed as fuck and even though I didn't like the SWB beta, I was gonna give it a chance because my friends started playing it. They only did for 2 days though, hah...

I think Origin itself is alright, but EAs games sucks ass.

I mean, they managed to screw up Plants vs Zombies 2. How do you even do that

Lomax

The bitching about Steam sales in these threads has got to be the single worst thing about the sales or the threads anymore. I get it, the games YOU want aren't discounted AS MUCH as YOU want. Boo hoo. Every single sale it's the exact same complaints and those complaints go back years, even to sales that now are considered good. Yet every single sale I get emails from isThereAnyDeal with anywhere from 20-50% of my wishlist getting historic or new historic lows. That's 100 games, that aren't just +1 fodder, but things I actually want to play.

Seriously, it's a bunch of grumpy old people complaining about how kids listen to terrible music. It's whiny, removed from any objective analysis, and a waste of time. It also sounds pretty heartless to the devs that actually make the games that we enjoy, since they're the ones that suffer from free-fall discounts, if anyone.

Buy games that are worth it to you. Don't buy ones that aren't. There's even a 2 week, 2 hour window to return something if it doesn't click for you for the price you paid. It has never been easier to know if you spent your money wisely on a game.

I don't mind anime derails, Sony derails, SEGA derails, meme assaults, or any of the number of other things that make the community a community. But the same few people complaining the exact same way about the exact same thing they've been complaining about for literally years is just... dumb. After this rant I guess I'll just any I see on my empty ignore list but it is just frustrating to see such toxic refrain repeated so tenaciously with nothing achieved from it.

Edit: I swear I did not time this to be top of a page >.>

Look, it's not just about "oh GOTY 2016 isn't already 75% off." That never happened and we're all well aware it didn't. There were tons of things that were basically just throwing games and credit at us. GMG playfire gave me over $100 in credit for some achievements. Card money paid for all of my on Steam purchases for almost two years, I could count on sale cards alone to give me at least $10 almost every sale in credit. I bought 3-4 bundles on Groupees every month in 2013 and 2014, I've bought 3 from them all year this year. I get it, shit still goes on sale. But no, it's not as exciting looking forward to a Steam sale, for a myriad of reasons. Dailies were interesting, and yes, sometimes brought substantially better deals than we see now. Events happened like coal that gave us free games and things to do. Storefronts like Amazon pushed huge sales and discounts that were way better than Steam's and now they basically aren't even in the market any more. Are things bad now? Of course not. There's still great deals to be found every day. The Humble Monthly is consistently fantastic. And we get more and more great releases every year. But if the winter sale was from Thursday to Monday of next week instead of almost two pointless weeks long again, it would be just as good or quite possibly even better, and you certainly wouldn't have said that two years ago.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The bitching about Steam sales in these threads has got to be the single worst thing about the sales or the threads anymore. I get it, the games YOU want aren't discounted AS MUCH as YOU want. Boo hoo. Every single sale it's the exact same complaints and those complaints go back years, even to sales that now are considered good. Yet every single sale I get emails from isThereAnyDeal with anywhere from 20-50% of my wishlist getting historic or new historic lows. That's 100 games, that aren't just +1 fodder, but things I actually want to play.

I think it's definitely true that if it's your first Steam sale, you'll find more than enough to enjoy yourself. I try not to complain too much because I have a backlog longer than I will ever be able to play and mostly I'm happy with what I have. But I do think there have been at least three major changes that make newer sales "less good" even as they are still great:
1) Competition from bundles and other super-discount opportunities and third-party Steam resellers that can discount more deeply
2) Decline of the meta-game making the sales feel less engaging even if the discounts themselves are the same.
3) I do believe that the pace of discounts has slowed and the level of featured discounts is not as good as they once were. I would guess the median discount used to be 66-75% and is now 40-50%.

tried the Astroneer free preview on W10 Store...I liked it

I'll think about picking up the Early Access version on Steam...game could use a bit more tutorials or instructions...also since it's procedurally generated luck plays a part for where you begin since you could end up somewhere without much of anything around or get lucky and have lots of stuff close by

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom