• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2016 - Winter (Sale) Is Coming Dec 22nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kifimbo

All right, here are the Steam sales for high-profile games launched in November.

Great/Good
Football Manager 2017 - 405,584 ± 16,823
Dishonored 2 - 307,022 ±14,639
Planet Coaster - 301,536 ± 14,508
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare - 245,215 ±13,084
Tyranny - 112,276 ± 8,855
Watch_Dogs 2 - 100,024 ±8,358 (Only a few days)
Transport Fever - 83,018 ± 7,614
Beholder - 70,035 ±6,994

Decent
Motorsport Manager - 46,629 ±5,707
Owlboy - 35,658 ±4,990
SHENZHEN I/O - 33,098 ± 4,808 (90.5%)
Genital Jousting - 24,869 ±4,168

Bad/Bomba
Silence - 5,669 ± 1,990
EVE: Valkyrie - 3,657 ±1,598
Xanadu Next - 2,926 ± 1,429
Ittle Dew 2 - 1,095 ±1,070

All right, here are the Steam sales for high-profile games launched in November.

Great/Good
Football Manager 2017 - 405,584 ± 16,823
Dishonored 2 - 307,022 ±14,639
Planet Coaster - 301,536 ± 14,508
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare - 245,215 ±13,084
Tyranny - 112,276 ± 8,855
Watch_Dogs 2 - 100,024 ±8,358 (Only a few days)
Transport Fever - 83,018 ± 7,614
Beholder - 70,035 ±6,994

Decent
Motorsport Manager - 46,629 ±5,707
Owlboy - 35,658 ±4,990
SHENZHEN I/O - 33,098 ± 4,808 (90.5%)
Genital Jousting - 24,869 ±4,168

Bad/Bomba
Silence - 5,669 ± 1,990
EVE: Valkyrie - 3,657 ±1,598
Xanadu Next - 2,926 ± 1,429
Ittle Dew 2 - 1,095 ±1,070

Roller Coaster Tycoon beating Call of Duty. I can live with that.

It's interesting to see games where sequels do a lot worse. Remember Grimrock II having quite the gulf compared to its predecessor. And it's not the quality from what I read either. There's something to learn here on how to tackle sequels for devs I'm sure.

Beholder was free on Indiegamestand temporarily, I wonder how much of an impact that had on sales. And I really liked Ittle Dew, but I keep forgetting the sequel came out already.

It's interesting to see games where sequels do a lot worse. Remember Grimrock II having quite the gulf compared to its predecessor. And it's not the quality from what I read either. There's something to learn here on how to tackle sequels for devs I'm sure.

I really enjoyed the first Grimrock but the second just didn't feel the same for me. Maybe my nostalgia was used up with the first game.

Kagemusha

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Kagemusha, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Warhammer: End Times -- MB-482153607CB05656 - Taken by Tellaerin. 12 entrants total.

t1480721383z1.png

Ascheroth

My uneducated armchair analyst guess is that it has to do with lots of people buying games they don't even play or finish, which makes sequels less attractive.
Or people seeing a sequel coming soon and buy the first one in a sale for cheap, because they want to play that before. And then we are at the first point again.

JarrodL

Why is this game so bloody good?
We already received so many great VNs on Steam this year.
Don't make me choose between Umineko, Steins;Gate, Root Double and this for Steam GOTY awards.
Please stop.

Isn't Danganronpa steam release in this year as well?

Pakkidis

My uneducated armchair analyst guess is that it has to do with lots of people buying games they don't even play or finish, which makes sequels less attractive.
Or people seeing a sequel coming soon and buy the first one in a sale for cheap, because they want to play that before. And then we are at the first point again.

Those are good guesses. I was going to say, timing, releasing a game at the right time gets more exposure than others. Gamers taste change as well.

Kagemusha

I just want Humble Bundle to stop with the mystery bullshit. I'd have gotten the last 5 bundles if I had known what the games were.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Shadow Ninja: Apocalypse -- MB-87D82D8D0F7F3423 - Taken by gurm3n
Dawn's Light -- MB-8D57CE43AA2878B8 - Taken by Eila
Trouble In The Manor -- MB-A849C8323A254AD4 - Taken by texhnolyze
Liveza: Death of the Earth -- MB-253454781401F612 - Taken by Jawmuncher
StarFringe: Adversus -- MB-E71DB679A262E806 - Taken by illusionary
Green Ranch : -- MB-1B50A5A2E165D67B - Taken by laserlaser

Lain

I haven't finished Xanadu but it might well be my Steam GOTY 1st candidate this year, so seeing those kind of numbers is... disappointing. Then again, it is an old game for which people aren't willing to spend the 15/20$, so I'm guessing sales will prop those numbers up in time.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Something to keep in mind with these sales numbers is that there have been a lot of big releases recently, and Christmas/Black Friday time, making it so I'm sure many are a bit tight budgeted right now with an interest in games.

I've been trying to observe indie movements as well, there's something about specific indie game sequels that just make them bomb compared to the original (not ALL indie sequels, but some of them certainly). I don't know the full reason, but I'm sure there's something important to learn, I agree with you. My off-shoot theory is maybe after playing the original, even if they were very good, something about them made them not feeling like they wanted more? I haven't played Grimrock or Ittle Dew yet, but do either of them leave people who play them feel like they want more?

Wok

Personally, I like indie games because they are fresh and often surprise me. I am more reluctant about buying a sequel because I lose that "oh" moment. Plus I can wait for a sale since there are many original games which are released every month.

Reasons which could make me buy the sequel day one would include:
  • the game genre is really niche, so I don't have that much choice if I crave for that genre,
  • the first game was really short, so I feel like I need more of that,
  • there is an interesting story, so I want to know the sequel,
  • the gameplay is different.

Corpekata

Banned
I am really surprised at that Beholder number more than anything on that list. Seem to have barely heard anything about it, either here or review sites. Did a big youtuber cover it or something?

Anno

Man Planet Coaster sold super well and is very well reviewed. I'm sure it will continue to pump out updates and maybe DLC for a long time as well. Looks like Frontier have a couple of evergreen kinda titles in house to keep them propped up for some time.

madjoki

No, Planet Coaster beat Call of Duty. Rollercoaster Tycoon World, which came out the day before Planet Coaster, got 99,400 ± 8,245.

Pretty good numbers, though, for a game that is supposedly utter crap.

Rollecoaster World was in Early access too, so I'd say it's not good at all.

I am really surprised at that Beholder number more than anything on that list. Seem to have barely heard anything about it, either here or review sites. Did a big youtuber cover it or something?

Indiegamestand accidentally gave it free for a few hours.

zkylon

zkylewd
oh btw ppl who are thinking about xenus 2 and were curious about xenus 1

xenus 1 had this play on the background as you installed it

what a fucking badass fucking game

pls listen to it it's really fucking good lol

Corpekata

Banned
Rollecoaster World was in Early access too, so I'd say it's not good at all.

Indiegamestand accidentally gave it free for a few hours.

I'm sure that accounts for some but I don't think we've seen many price mistakes balloon a game that much, especially one that's not well known at a site that's not exactly big time either.

rtcn63

For some reason I assumed Geoff Keighley was set for life financially, what with all the royalties from Mountain Dew, Doritos, and the Catholic Church.

gelf

I couldn't get into Grimrock unfortunately so I didn't even consider the sequel. It was my first game of its type with no nostagia from the classic games it was inspired from. I thought it looked lovely and I liked exploring and solving puzzles but the combat didn't click at all and I abandoned it.

Anno

Vlambeer has an ongoing deal that started before and is separate from Amazon Prime's involvement. If you sub to their channel you can link to their website and somehow get a Steam key for NT out of it.

Rami tweeted this the other day

Rami Ismail ‏@tha_rami
Hah, every time I refill the Nuclear Throne codes, Twitch Prime revenue spikes by a few hundred dollars & codes run out in seconds.

So maybe there's some kind of wait until they get new codes?

I still don't understand how Bioware Points are still a thing. Is there some arcane authentication system in place that only works with a BioWare Social Network account but not with Origin?

Dumbest shit in history but probably still in place because they cant be assed with porting their current dlc to the ea store or whatever.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
This game looks too good for this. :(

I'll buy it the moment I get the spare cash for it

Xanadu Next is great. One of my top 5 Steam games this year, easily. It's a shame it's seemingly not doing so well commercially.

Thanks to the free Neverwinter Nights Diamond from GoG I decided to start playing some user-made modules that were created over the past several years. The Aielund Saga seems okay so far.

AHA-Lambda

There are rumors of a bloodborne 2 now @_@

I really wish they'd take a break =/

Then again a Bloodborne 2 would at least go further to justifying my PS4, which is just sitting abandoned at present and hasn't been used for any gaming since UC4

I mean the Witcher 3 is way more violent then the first two games in content and execution. There is also significant sexual violence in the game. A lot of which presents the players with a canonical option to walk away from.

And yet, they now censor female frontal nudity and have these goofy camera angles to avoid showing Geralt's ass.

It is this bizarre application of puritanism. Men can talk about how they raped children, I can walk by soldiers raping a daughter while her family sits helpless, but women at a sex party have to be wearing panties.

I know it was done to make it "safer" for the 'under 18 but plays M-rated games crowd' but it is embarrassing what is considered acceptable and what isn't.
I still don't know what you're talking about. Did you get censored version somehow? There are still plenty of nudity in TW3 sex scenes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom