• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2016 - Winter (Sale) Is Coming Dec 22nd

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been trying to observe indie movements as well, there's something about specific indie game sequels that just make them bomb compared to the original (not ALL indie sequels, but some of them certainly). I don't know the full reason, but I'm sure there's something important to learn, I agree with you. My off-shoot theory is maybe after playing the original, even if they were very good, something about them made them not feeling like they wanted more? I haven't played Grimrock or Ittle Dew yet, but do either of them leave people who play them feel like they want more?

Part of the appeal of indie games is that they're doing things AAA games simply don't do (anymore. A lot of indie games are re-creating old genres) and it feels new and fresh again. An indie company making a modernized 1st-person 3D dungeon crawl - such as Grimrock - was a new and innovative thing. When Grimrock II came around, well it wasn't new and innovative anymore, was it, since it was already done by the original Grimrock.

Now, can you get away with similar mechanics in sequels as an indie developer? Yes, IF you have a good enough story to back it up. Grimrock's plot was...mmmmkinda light. It showcased the gameplay, which is great for one game and not great for two.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Got a G810 keyboard on sale, kinda want to reinstall The Division just to use the integration. Must defeat some backlog stuff first, lol.

Corpekata

Banned
I mean, ittle dew 1 wasn't exactly a smash hit to begin with. It's at like 140k sales after 6 bundles and a ton of cheap deals.

And with the sequel they expanded to multiple platforms at launch, so the audience that might have bought it on Steam now has 3 platforms to choose from.

I do think there's certainly a novelty factor at play. Grimrock 1 came out when there were no other games coming out like it for the most part, while 2 had a lot fiercer competition. Same with Ittle Dew, there's been more than a few Zelda-likes since release (and a Zelda game right around the corner).

I think fans of games just need to recognize that your favorite games (or entire genres) aren't always as popular as you think. Seems to be a real problem since Steamspy launched.

Coreda

Omnipotent Assembler

11000.png

Anyone who gets that is an absolute madman!

According to this post there were only 7.4k total 10 months ago and now there are 12k. At one point Jase must have had close to all of them, surely.

Lomax

How did Ittle Dew 1 sell by comparison?

I know it sold a ton in bundles but how much at regular price?

It was bundled fairly quickly, which I know at the time left a bad taste in some people's mouths. Not sure if that impacted sales now, either with people still angry, or just assuming it will be bundled so they aren't bothering. Either way, they have to be disappointed with sales numbers that low.

I mean, ittle dew 1 wasn't exactly a smash hit to begin with. It's at like 140k sales after 6 bundles and a ton of cheap deals.

And with the sequel they expanded to multiple platforms at launch, so the audience that might have bought it on Steam now has 3 platforms to choose from.

I do think there's certainly a novelty factor at play. Grimrock 1 came out when there were no other games coming out like it for the most part, while 2 had a lot fiercer competition. Same with Ittle Dew, there's been more than a few Zelda-likes since release (and a Zelda game right around the corner).

I think fans of games just need to recognize that your favorite games (or entire genres) aren't always as popular as you think. Seems to be a real problem since Steamspy launched.

I don't disagree with what you're saying, but still, barely a thousand copies is pretty poor. $14k in revenue can't begin to cover development costs, even for a small team. Sad thing is, it will probably push them to bundle it sooner, which will just reinforce those of us that didn't buy it.

Something to keep in mind with these sales numbers is that there have been a lot of big releases recently, and Christmas/Black Friday time, making it so I'm sure many are a bit tight budgeted right now with an interest in games.

I've been trying to observe indie movements as well, there's something about specific indie game sequels that just make them bomb compared to the original (not ALL indie sequels, but some of them certainly). I don't know the full reason, but I'm sure there's something important to learn, I agree with you. My off-shoot theory is maybe after playing the original, even if they were very good, something about them made them not feeling like they wanted more? I haven't played Grimrock or Ittle Dew yet, but do either of them leave people who play them feel like they want more?

It came out 2.5 years later so unless someone picked 1 up and played from a sale/bundle later in 2014, it wasnt a case of wearing out its welcome for but a few.

What seals it was the perfection but that $25 price tag in an era of bundles and "HURF DURF DONN PAY MOR THAN $20 4 PC GAME LOLZ" drowned out alot of our testimonials too ill bet.

Knurek

Wait, what's Root Double? Why is that one a stand out?
Haven't heard it mentioned before.

Was 50% off during the sale, quite a bunch of people mentioned it in the sale thread.
Has Durante's Seal of Approval.
Other than slight pacing issues in the second, slice of life route, it's a ride and a half.
Pretty much a spiritual sequel to Ever 17.

Teggy

New Vegas to me after finishing Dead Money: hey, remember when we took all your stuff away?
Me: yeah
NV: you can have it back now. You're 250 lbs overburdened sucker!

Spend several minutes dropping stuff, the go to start of Honest Hearts

NV: can only start this DLC if you are carrying less than 100 lbs sucker!
Me: sigh

Uhyve

Is BPM broken on 144hz monitors? It runs at a super low framerate unless I disable that monitor. I've tried making the monitor run at 120hz and disabling the 60hz monitor just in case, nothing.

Googling leads to people complaining about it on reddit and the steam forums. Does it just not work properly? The posts are pretty old though, is it just me?

Extra weirdly, it runs perfectly if I click onto my second monitor while it's running, but once BPM regains focus, crazy low framerate again.

abracadaver

Is BPM broken on 144hz monitors? It runs at a super low framerate unless I disable that monitor. I've tried making the monitor run at 120hz and disabling the 60hz monitor just in case, nothing.

Googling leads to people complaining about it on reddit and the steam forums. Does it just not work properly?

Extra weirdly, it runs perfectly if I click onto my second monitor while it's running, but once BPM regains focus, crazy low framerate again.

Works fine for me. I only have 1 monitor though.

Uhyve

Works fine for me. I only have 1 monitor though.
Weird, I'll keep messing with it I guess. Disabling my 60hz monitor doesn't seem to help. Don't really get it.

According to my monitors FPS counter, it's running at 10FPS.

Edit: I set the monitor to 120hz and restarted the PC, BPM is nice and smooth now. Guess it didn't like the mismatch between screens?

Kagemusha

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 9 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Bonsai -- MB-5CC2ACE0332C84BC - Taken by Vuze. 1 entrants total.
Jet Racing Extreme -- MB-B4BA0ECE87B1E116 - Taken by Saty. 3 entrants total.
Star Fields -- MB-564F11EBF3C85282 - Taken by Dusk Golem. 1 entrants total.
Sleeping Valley -- MB-FC2647E7F3401400 - Taken by Diedac. 1 entrants total.
Dawn s Light -- MB-F83655EF7755F7CA - Taken by user237. 1 entrants total.
Liveza: Death of the Earth -- MB-2480BE8FA526BACF - Taken by T-Rex.. 2 entrants total.
Nanooborg -- MB-968A8AEE067E52DA - Taken by septicore. 1 entrants total.
Green Ranch -- MB-B25BD8CF70ABAA75 - Taken by Loptous. 1 entrants total.
Go Mission: Space Travel -- MB-6144D6C522B03B45 - Taken by bloke. 1 entrants total.

t1480761134z1.png

T-Rex.

Banned
Already played through Celceta on Vita, which I loved, so I might as well pick up the other Ys games on Steam. Do you guys think I should wait for the winter sale? No idea if it's going to drop in price.

Nabs

Already played through Celceta on Vita, which I loved, so I might as well pick up the other Ys games on Steam. Do you guys think I should wait for the winter sale? No idea if it's going to drop in price.

Yes, wait a few weeks for the Winter sale. Most of the Ys games on Steam are fantastic.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Spares:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 10 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Madrobot X -- MB-C18EBD2737C9FF0A - Taken by Loptous
ABC Coloring Town -- MB-8145F3F4645A4DC3 - Taken by Dusk Golem
Sprinter -- MB-E8A14F7404FF33F6 - Taken by ExoSoul
Sophie's Curse -- MB-A34511064A236F61 - Taken by Reverse Flash
Chess Knight 2 -- MB-E63680E7ADBEBC5A - Taken by nightstorm
Bayla Bunny -- MB-30F5A2FA6F4C4D98
Dragon: A Game About a Dragon -- MB-2C3C3750E171013B - Taken by Saty
Barnyard Mahjong 3 -- MB-FA23347B85A08372
Victory At Sea -- MB-62A32B9326A8C16B - Taken by Vuze
Merger 3D -- MB-17846286B96A750C - Taken by rainking187

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
One day I will share my thoughts on the Ys games and trigger 90% of gaf.

Theyre alright

D

Deleted member 144138

Unconfirmed Member
Winners of The Escapists and Western Press also get the DLC afterwards.

Enjoy!
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (hannes, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Western Press -- MB-93862B188338AFFC - Taken by Purkake4. 7 entrants total.
The Escapists -- MB-CFE5167DF2842894 - Taken by Benedict. 2 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Mordheim City of the Damned -- MB-5E045FEC3DE5392E - Taken by bobnowhere. 10 entrants total.
Hacknet -- MB-66C94C9C215C65F1 - Taken by Ludens. 4 entrants total.
Minion Masters -- MB-92015846EE313882
The Flame in the Flood -- MB-F2D3C37310F192E8 - Taken by Monooboe. 9 entrants total.

t1480764885z1.png

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I just finished Xanadu Next, and with it, my 52 games per year challenge for 2016!

My only gripe is that a few of the achievements got "stuck" and didn't track my progress correctly. Otherwise, I really feel like this game is something special.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Winners of The Escapists and Western Press also get the DLC afterwards.

Enjoy!

For future reference, you can attach multiple keys to the one title. Just separate them with a space, though you want to put the game key first as otherwise the winner might think you just gave away a bunch of DLC. ;)

PaulSane

I just finished Xanadu Next, and with it, my 52 games per year challenge for 2016!

My only gripe is that a few of the achievements got "stuck" and didn't track my progress correctly. Otherwise, I really feel like this game is something special.

I've bought it on release, and was going to try and do a 100% run right after i finished the game for the first time, but those broken achievements made me decide against it. It's also a shame that this game is so underrated, it's one of the rare games that felt "just right" to me - pacing, combat, story, the length of the game, it's difficulty, everything was spot on.

oipic

Congrats, JShack! I greatly admire you guys that manage the 52 games/year thing, much respect and kudos.

I'm toying with the idea of committing to the 50 books/50 movies challenge next year, knowing full well I'll never get there with books (I read far too slowly); 50 films seems perfectly manageable, though, as it's a ~100 hour commitment - 52 games, however, is hundreds of hours, even with a generous sprinkling of short titles included.

Tizoc

Got back from my test a few minutes ago. Did well in Listening and Reading but Writing, I kinda needed another 30 minutes just to get the 2nd question within the 250 word limit but eh what the hey~

IT'S ALMOST MAHVEL

If it is PS4 only I'll be a bit bummed.

If there really are no X-Men then
Fuck-a-Marvel
Fuck-a-Marvel
Fuck-a-Marvel
Fuck-a-Marvel

D

Deleted member 144138

Unconfirmed Member
For future reference, you can attach multiple keys to the one title. Just separate them with a space, though you want to put the game key first as otherwise the winner might think you just gave away a bunch of DLC. ;)
Thanks jase! Always appreciated :)

Knurek

Speaking of awards, is jshackles considering upping the voting number from 5?
I mean, 4000 new games released this year, way more than last one.

Lain

Speaking of awards, is jshackles considering upping the voting number from 5?
I mean, 4000 new games released this year, way more than last one.

I say lower it, make it 3 max and the first one has to start with a X and end with a t.

Valve should drop all the pretense and start allowing H games on Steam.

They kinda do. The devs/publishers can release patches to unlock the H-content in Visual Novels.

The reason why they dont do it, according to Valve, is that every country has different laws. But even that sounds more like a lie, because in europe they allow every game onto the store for everyone to download, even if it hasnt been rated, which is also against some EU countries law.

Jimrpg

They kinda do. The devs/publishers can release patches to unlock the H-content in Visual Novels.

The reason why they dont do it, according to Valve, is that every country has different laws. But even that sounds more like a lie, because in europe they allow every game onto the store for everyone to download, even if it hasnt been rated, which is also against some EU countries law.

How does that differ from say what Mangagamer does? They also have a store and sell adult games.

Otherwise Steam could just create store.steamhentai.com, host it in one country (say the US) and allow users from all around the world to buy from the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom