• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2016 - Winter (Sale) Is Coming Dec 22nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patison

I'm still thinking about That Dragon, Cancer creator's incredibly powerful speech. I literally had tears in my eyes. Only few cards left to drop and I'll buy copy for myself and few of my friends.

Was 50% off during the sale, quite a bunch of people mentioned it in the sale thread.
Has Durante's Seal of Approval.
Other than slight pacing issues in the second, slice of life route, it's a ride and a half.
Pretty much a spiritual sequel to Ever 17.

Now that game had some serious pacing issues. It took me year and a half to complete two routes because I was always falling asleep at that fascinating beginning. It really felt like 999 alpha version. Is Root Double any better?

Tizoc

BTW if it hadn't been brought up here yet, there are rumors of a new batman game but with Damian Wayne being the lead and inspired by Batman #666 IIRC.

Hektor

BTW if it hadn't been brought up here yet, there are rumors of a new batman game but with Damian Wayne being the lead and inspired by Batman #666 IIRC.

The more interesting part of that rumor is imho, that it's supposedly using the Nemesis system.

The only good thing to come out of Shadow of Mordor. Would be cool to see it in a good videogame.

Ascheroth

Yeah, that Infinifactory gif feature is amazing.
eLOXrMt.gif

(I'm still in the practice missions, so nothing too fancy here).

It's somehow really satisfying seeing everything click into place.
But I haven't figured out yet what exactly 'Footprint' is.

Knurek

Ever17 had some serious pacing issues. It took me year and a half to complete two routes because I was always falling asleep at that fascinating beginning. It really felt like 999 alpha version. Is Root Double any better?

Pacing-wise? Infinitely better than E17.
Story-wise? The payout is slightly weaker than Coco Route from Ever17, but overall I'd say RD is on par with 999.

Tizoc

The more interesting part of that rumor is imho, that it's supposedly using the Nemesis system.

The only good thing to come out of Shadow of Mordor. Would be cool to see it in a good videogame.
Who the hell wants to Nemesis a 100 Joker knock offs?

Monooboe

I have to say, Watch Dogs 2 is such an improvement over the first game. While I liked the first one just fine but I didn't feel much of a hacker, going around killing everyone. Now in two, I'm going strickly non-leathal and I often don't even personally enter areas that I try to inflintrate, I just use the drone and RC. If I have to use combat I just use the tazer and melee takedowns.

Really liking the game!

PaulSane

Anyone knows a good adblock alternative? It really went to shit in the last few months and some sites really open new tabs all the time...

I'm using uBlock Origin, it's a very good plugin - also available for most browsers if i'm not mistaken.

EDIT: ^i guess that proves it's a good alternative :D

Endruen

I found it in the wiki. Basically it's the extension of your factory, but blocks in vertical only count as 1, no matter how many are. If you press P, I think, yellow marks will appear on the blocks that count towards your footprint.
Where's the GIF tool? I haven't found it. Nevermind, F10.
Also, I want to know how to use "Blockers" effectively, I can't find a good use for them.

Wok

I just reinstalled the game, since I remember that that was actually my second solution to the puzzle, but apparently my first one was pretty similar. I originally made the same set of four pieces but then went and rotated them around to the correct orientations (more or less) and welded them together. That other gif I posted was my attempt at rotating the final product as I'm building it instead of the individual components. My original solution was this:

Oh, and since you're going through the game, I'll give you a warning for something odd it does later on that wasted a few hours of my time. In the last set of levels, there's one level that's drastically different from all the other ones when it comes to what it is you're trying to do (you'll know it when you see it). For this level, the game introduces a new block for you to use. The problem is that, unlike every other time a new block is introduced, the game doesn't tell you that there's something new for you to use. Since I was operating entirely off of the hotbar and shortcut keys, I went through most of the game without even opening up the main block selection window, so I spent HOURS on this level trying to figure out what the hell I was supposed to be doing without even realizing that there was a new block available.

I took inspiration from yours and just used the "C" approach. I actually stuffed it up initially and made it 1 too big and only realised when it was too big for the exit! I assumed it would be easy to trim one block of the sides but no, I went mad trying to get it to work. If it worked at 6x6, it must work at 5x5, right? I had to iterate it from scratch again.

s4j4pvc.gif

Blocks is the obviously the number of blocks not counting concrete blocks. Footprint is the horizontal space your solution takes up. If you imagine the bird's eye view looking straight down, that is the footprint.

Regarding flopping indie sequels. What are the best options for a developer when their indie sequel bombs?

- Get into a regular bundle. Advantages: revenue + owners. Disadvantages: very low revenue per game sold and the value perception of your game tanks.
- Get into a humble monthly. Advantages: revenue + owners and you only sell a limited amount of games for a very low price. Disadvantages: the value perception of your game declines (probably less damaging than a regular bundle though).
- Send discount coupons to the owners of your previous game. To me, this seems like the best solution. You lose some revenue from people who would have bought your game anyway, but that should be easily compensated by the buyers who weren't even aware of your game's existence.
- Give a big discount in the next steam sale.
- Lower the regular price or your game. This probably isn't a good idea. With a relatively high price it's much easier to give sizable discounts.
- Wait and and hope for the best. Maybe your game will be featured prominently by a big youtuber and sales will finally take off.

Obviously with the first five options, you will need to think of something to compensate the day one buyers (so as the avoid a bad rep/negative reviews), maybe give them a giftable copy or something.

Wok

Send discount coupons to the owners of your previous game. To me, this seems like the best solution. You lose some revenue from people who would have bought your game anyway, but that should be easily compensated by the buyers who weren't even aware of your game's existence.

Discount and/or Steam sales is better because people will be able to give Steam reviews that increase the Steam score and help sell more for the next sales.

madjoki

Discount and/or Steam sales is better because people will be able to give Steam reviews that increase the Steam score and help sell more for the next sales.

Yup. Seems like many don't get it tho, because they tend to keep Steam price high while bundling or deep discounting on other sites regularly.

Angelina

Banned
Xanadu is certainly very high on being my goty contender.

I asked in autumn sale thread bout a game being like record of lodoss war and in some ways xanadu scratched that feeling well

Lomax

Who the hell wants to Nemesis a 100 Joker knock offs?

If they did it right though, one of those knockoffs could *become* the Joker. Would be a truly unique take on villian origin stories, you could even explore the idea that the presence of Batman is what caused the emergence of all these super crazies. It would really need to be a completely original new story to be done, but the potential is there.

The nemesis system in SoM was fantastic, *if* you played recklessly *and* didn't get overpowered too quickly *and* allowed yourself to die more than most of us like to. The early stages of the Batman game would need you to be pretty weak and have some sort of forced retreat rather than death.

Do I think it will happen? No, of course not, you'd basically need it to be Isaaclike in terms of difficulty, and no mainstream game would do that. Maybe as an optional game mode.

fantomena

Oh apparently PSX is on in about 4hrs. A few PC reveals no doubt - or at least that will be speculated upon

I will watch it mostly for PC related stuff. Haven't been using my PS4 in a long time. I did get FFXV yesterday, but I have to download that big-ass patch first.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
8 minute Prey: Extended Gameplay Walkthrough is up on Gamersyde. Not feeling the enemies.

Yeah, I'm hoping there's more to the mimics than just suddenly transforming from a random object into a shadow monster you've seen dozens of times before. I get the impression that the "play your way" philosophy Arkane has abided by thus far will be less prevalent in the game and it'll be action-oriented regardless of your approach, but the gameplay systems do seem interesting. Arkane's take isn't the open-world alien bounty hunting game everyone wants, however I'm optimistic the end product will be solid in its own right.

I just finished Xanadu Next, and with it, my 52 games per year challenge for 2016!

My only gripe is that a few of the achievements got "stuck" and didn't track my progress correctly. Otherwise, I really feel like this game is something special.

I've bought it on release, and was going to try and do a 100% run right after i finished the game for the first time, but those broken achievements made me decide against it. It's also a shame that this game is so underrated, it's one of the rare games that felt "just right" to me - pacing, combat, story, the length of the game, it's difficulty, everything was spot on.

I saw the artwork in the November thread and was like "what's that?" and then came across it on the Featured titles. Only made it halfway through the trailer.

Can someone comment on the gameplay/combat? Is it JRPG or ... ?

Oh apparently PSX is on in about 4hrs. A few PC reveals no doubt - or at least that will be speculated upon

Why would they reveal PC version of their (ex-)exclusives in their own event?

I mean, most of their fans will be watching it, right. There'll be lots of disappointments and that'll be the last thing they want to do.

And of course it'll be a midnight show here. I guess I'll just see the summary later in the morning.

Grief.exe

I mean, most of their fans will be watching it, right. There'll be lots of disappointments and that'll be the last thing they want to do.

PSX has essentially been a massive PC showcase since the PS4 released. Just have to be aware of the language used.

MUnited83

For you.

And of course it'll be a midnight show here. I guess I'll just see the summary later in the morning.
They won't necessarily mention PC. The news about PC versions will come from press releases and all that. That's what people are talking about.

PSX has essentially been a massive PC showcase since the PS4 released. Just have to be aware of the language used.

They won't necessarily mention PC. The news about PC versions will come from press releases and all that. That's what people are talking about.

I see. I don't quite remember past PSX events. That's pretty interesting.

I might as well stay a bit late tonight then. I have El Classico to keep me accompanied for the next 2 hours anyway.

PaulSane

I saw the artwork in the November thread and was like "what's that?" and then came across it on the Featured titles. Only made it halfway through the trailer.

Can someone comment on the gameplay/combat? Is it JRPG or ... ?

In short, it's a dungeon-crawling action-RPG of sorts :) It features pretty simple, but very slick combat system, a pretty good story, exploration and some puzzles. Personally, i think i liked the level design in this game the most out of all it's aspects.

For a more detailed answer, i suggest you check out it's OT here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1306499

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom