• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2016 - Winter (Sale) Is Coming Dec 22nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cth

100% Orange Juice is pretty harmless and mindless fun if your want that, I'd highly recommend it.

Fun game, reminded me of Culdcept Saga. Naturally, my wife played a lot of it :D

Ah man, very sorry to hear. Hope it goes well for you as much as possible.

Thanks!

That's really rough, sorry you have to go through that.

I'd recommend Puzzle Agent if you want to play a very quirky and fun Adventure with Layton-like Puzzles.
Or Civ V if you want to forget the world for 7 hours at a time.

I remember playing Puzzle Agent, never got around to finishing it. I should probably get around to doing so :D

Thanks for the recommendations!

rtcn63

Gimme a proper sequel to RE4, Cap'nCom. I'm replaying The Evil Within for the fourth time. It's a good game. But you can best it. Gimme me more shit to replay again and again.

Also I've never once gotten all of the keys or map fragments in TEW. I'm just looking them up now on a per chapter basis. Do me a favor and post when they fix Darkisder's memory leak or whatever, I might want to re-jump into that.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

Man, I wish Youtube had quality control. Like, not the resolution quality option, but a team that decides what is good for the service.

Again, Jim Sterling aims for the lowest hanging fruit and discovers, shocking I know, that it is indeed low hanging and fruit.

I'll agree with him that the amount of games being released on Steam is a problem that should be addressed. but then again, I was okay with Valve's original setup that made it hard for pinball games to get on Steam. Jim wants to have his cake and eat it too, by saying Valve should do something but not the thing that worked just something half way until it comes time to get my game up there then I'd like to be put up there prominently.

But my biggest problem with the video is that it doesn't even address the fact that a user can refund a game on Steam with no fuss. It makes it hard to engage in his sympathy for the user argument that he half makes because, well, the person has recourse. Easy, painless recourse.

So, in conclusion, this is why I don't watch Jim Sterling videos.

rtcn63

Just checked my email and got an "order confirmed" email from Ubisoft. This one with an actual key (Mordor) that works!

Megauap

Just checked my email and got an "order confirmed" email from Ubisoft. This one with an actual key (Mordor) that works!

Did you contact Ubi support or it just arrived at your email?
Just today I contacted Ubisoft Support (Spain) and told me that they can't refund me or give me a key because the European Ubishop doesn't sell SoM so I need to contact the American Ubishop.

rtcn63

Did you contact Ubi support or it just arrived at your email?
Just today I contacted Ubisoft Support (Spain) and told me that they can't refund me or give me a key because the European Ubishop doesn't sell SoM so I need to contact the American Ubishop.

Just arrived. Never contacted. US.

Has anyone played this?
header.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/394540/

I got a coupon to drop it to $1 and seems to have positive impressions.

The $1 coupon was a trick to get you to buy it before the 49¢ sale.

Eila

Offer applies to owners and purchasers on Steam from 12/8/16 to 12/18/16. This stacks with our 10% launch week discount to reach 35% off!

That's not bad. They seem to cap their sales of big games to 50% off for quite some time so grabbing it 35% off at launch if you're interested is a good deal.

Tizoc

One thing I remember from watching Nitroplus on YT is that at the intro screen, Sonico greets the player with a bow, then she stands straight up her breasts jiggle. This crap really turns me off from a game.
Still is this based on the latest ver. of the game in JP arcades?

Phawx

Will BulletStorm not work at all or is it just multiplayer that won't work?

man, yooka laylee looks pretty bad

not gameplay wise btw, i'm speaking strictly about it's visuals

What specifically don't you like about the visuals? Is it too kiddy?

PaulSane

I wish i could be half as excited for fighting games as you guys :p To this day, i can't see the appeal of this genre of games. For me, it's a combination of two things i don't really like in games - versus multiplayer (i can tolerate it if it's turn-based and requires some thought, like in Civ or card games) and the lack of "game substance", by which i mean a story or some kind of diverse gameplay. This is the reason i've never liked WoW arenas, despite playing that game for God know how many years. I've always wondered why would people play an MMO just to lock themselves in tiny rooms and miss out on 99% of the game itself - that's exactly how i feel about fighting games.

Come to think of it, maybe i just prefer longer gaming sessions and games that require something else rather than pure reflexes. I guess that has something to do with me growing older and having my tastes change, i remember playing a lot of CS and Quake 3 about 15 years ago, as well as games of other genres i'm not interested in anymore - like racing games. But even at that time i didn't see the appeal of fighting games :)

Every time i see some port or new release announcements for fighting games and people going crazy about them, like the recent MvC announcement, i think to myself: those development\porting resources could have been used on something interesting instead :p

Granjinha

What specifically don't you like about the visuals? Is it too kiddy?

wut? no, not at all

the game looks muddy, the lighting is bland, making the scenarios etc look bland as well, the animations are stiff and the hit detection is way off (the enemies don't react as they should to your hits)

there's more that i don't like but i think the technical aspect is really damaging it's art direction, of course the game is way off and it could get better, but right now i'm really not liking what i see

Every time i see some port or new release announcements for fighting games and people going crazy about them, like the recent MvC announcement, i think to myself: those development\porting resources could have been used on something interesting instead :p

people like mashing buttons and doing epic 100 hit combos as their favorite characters

A lot of competitive games right now are team-based so they require setting up and planning and a bunch of other shit. With fighting games you just plop in your quarter and start mashing the AI/players. It's fun and there's a lot of bright lights and flashing text and special effects that make my eyes go O_O

And I don't know how development/porting resources could be used differently since they're made by developers who just want to make fighting games.

I wonder if Square Enix is gonna make another of those Holiday Surprise Box bundles. Last few actually had Final Fantasy games in them, so they were pretty good for the price they charged.

kagamin

I wish i could be half as excited for fighting games as you guys :p To this day, i can't see the appeal of this genre of games. For me, it's a combination of two things i don't really like in games - versus multiplayer (i can tolerate it if it's turn-based and requires some thought, like in Civ or card games) and the lack of "game substance", by which i mean a story or some kind of diverse gameplay. This is the reason i've never liked WoW arenas, despite playing that game for God know how many years. I've always wondered why would people play an MMO just to lock themselves in tiny rooms and miss out on 99% of the game itself - that's exactly how i feel about fighting games.

Come to think of it, maybe i just prefer longer gaming sessions and games that require something else rather than pure reflexes. I guess that has something to do with me growing older and having my tastes change, i remember playing a lot of CS and Quake 3 about 15 years ago, as well as games of other genres i'm not interested in anymore - like racing games. But even at that time i didn't see the appeal of fighting games :)

Every time i see some port or new release announcements for fighting games and people going crazy about them, like the recent MvC announcement, i think to myself: those developmentporting resources could have been used on something interesting instead :p

Funny enough, what I really enjoy are either long sessions in an RPG or the like, or short bursts of arcadey games (like Project Diva which I absolutely adore), I think my tastes have changed really dramatically from when I was young, where I could tolerate playing games for hours and hours at a time with no breaks.

gelf

I wonder if Square Enix is gonna make another of those Holiday Surprise Box bundles. Last few actually had Final Fantasy games in them, so they were pretty good for the price they charged.

I was wondering the same. Though I'm not sure the world needs yet another mystery games box now though what with Humble and Gamepump. Also what games are left that are feasible to give away that haven't been used before.

I was wondering the same. Though I'm not sure the world needs yet another mystery games box now though what with Humble and Gamepump. Also what games are left that are feasible to give away that haven't been used before.

Lightning Returns, the older FF games, Life is Strange, etc. They still have some good titles they could bundle.

Vibranium

Banned
Gimme a proper sequel to RE4, Cap'nCom. I'm replaying The Evil Within for the fourth time. It's a good game. But you can best it. Gimme me more shit to replay again and again.

Also I've never once gotten all of the keys or map fragments in TEW. I'm just looking them up now on a per chapter basis. Do me a favor and post when they fix Darkisder's memory leak or whatever, I might want to re-jump into that.

Hopefully The Evil Within 2 surpasses RE4 as the king of action-horror. I would dig it if there was a castle in the next game.

gngf123

Actually tempted to get Nitro+ Blasters at that discount if it's decent.

Beating people up as Saya would make it worth it.

NeoRaider

Is Owlboy really that good??

I read one local review today in magazine and they only had good things to say. Especially about the story, characters and atmosphere.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

I read one local review today in magazine and they only had good things to say. Especially about the story, characters and atmosphere.

It's good but not amazing. Story, characters, and atmosphere are good. Gameplay less so.

This is what I said in the November Steam thread:
Owlboy is good. It's not great. It's very pretty. Surprisingly rough around the edges for a 9 year old game. I think the Super Bunnyhop review posted a page or two ago that describes the gameplay as a little hollow is correct. Combat is just OK, levels are just OK, puzzles are just OK, it really is missing that final gameplay pizzazz. Still good, and I liked the story and characters. Recommend it on sale or in a bundle (Roboleon gifted it to me, so I didn't pay for it), probably not for $24.99. I got 8 hours out of the game + 3 hours out of a minigame that I confess I really suck at. 100% completion/collectibles (missing a few nuisance achievements)

And in the OwlBoy thread:
I agree with the Super Bunny Hop review (it could be 5 minutes shorter and not lose anything though) -- the game is good, it's beautiful, it's great to listen to, the story is good, the characters are good, but it's just not quite there. The gameplay, the UI, and level design are surprisingly rough around the edges... and the XNA limitations with respect to just the Steam Overlay being generally iffy, the controller support being kinda weird, etc... It's just ho-hum. Like, shooting never quite seems satisfying, puzzles never really go the extra mile. The stealth doesn't quite work. World navigation is fine, but never great. The only time it really felt like a true joy to play was after getting the 100% cape, and by then the game is over.

This makes it sound like I didn't like the game. I did. I played it for 11 hours (8 hours game, 3 hours cannon minigame . . .) over two days and 100%ed it across the board. I'm glad to have played it. But there's an unmistakable feeling of it being so close but not quite.

The Boguins are spectacular.

I think probably I feel a little happier about it now that my feelings have settled, but yeah. I do not think the game delivered reflects either the anticipation or the critical notice it has been getting.

PaulSane

And I don't know how development/porting resources could be used differently since they're made by developers who just want to make fighting games.

Yeah, you are right. I guess i'm still a little bit disappointed that the biggest PC-related announcement we've got from PSX was the one i have zero interest in, and i wish it was something else :)

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Man, I wish Youtube had quality control. Like, not the resolution quality option, but a team that decides what is good for the service.

Again, Jim Sterling aims for the lowest hanging fruit and discovers, shocking I know, that it is indeed low hanging and fruit.

I'll agree with him that the amount of games being released on Steam is a problem that should be addressed. but then again, I was okay with Valve's original setup that made it hard for pinball games to get on Steam. Jim wants to have his cake and eat it too, by saying Valve should do something but not the thing that worked just something half way until it comes time to get my game up there then I'd like to be put up there prominently.

But my biggest problem with the video is that it doesn't even address the fact that a user can refund a game on Steam with no fuss. It makes it hard to engage in his sympathy for the user argument that he half makes because, well, the person has recourse. Easy, painless recourse.

So, in conclusion, this is why I don't watch Jim Sterling videos.
I just look at the way he presents himself and his videos (like the title he opted to go with on this one) and know that he has literally nothing of value to offer me.

AHA-Lambda

I like Jim Sterling's stuff =/

It's a good example of the genre. I don't quite understand the fuss it's been getting though.

But that said, I still certainly recommend a playthrough.

rtcn63

I like Jim Sterling's stuff =/

He's possibly fallen into the same trap as a lot of online personalities (and filthy casual posters like us- but we're not trying to make money via ad revenue or patreons). He started garnering a fanbase for "going against the grain and telling it like it is", if unintentionally, and then realized that the only way to maintain and grow his audience is by mostly repeating what they've said back to them, often very British-ly.

I still watch his stuff. He does have some good videos here and there. But a lot of it does seem like knee-jerk topic of the week trifle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom