• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2016 - Winter (Sale) Is Coming Dec 22nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teeth

So I finally received my Shadow of Mordor key from Ubisoft, but hilariously, it's a key for the base game and not the Game of the Year edition (which is what was on sale). I even still have the original confirmation email they sent me that lists the Game of the Year version as the one I bought, but with the key section blank.

I mean, I'm not going to do anything about it, but it is hilarious.

Top is the first email they sent, bottom is the second:

Ubisoft_zps4wkurra7.jpg

rtcn63

Damn. The install size for the Mordor key I received is 43GB, so it's not the GOTY version?

EDIT: On the steam store page, it's giving me the option to upgrade to the GOY edition. This is bad.

He's possibly fallen into the same trap as a lot of reviewers (and filthy casual posters like us- but we're not trying to make money via ad revenue or patreons). He started garnering a fanbase for "going against the grain and telling it like it is", if unintentionally, and then realized that the only way maintain and grow his audience is by mostly repeating what they've said back to them, often very British-ly.

I still watch his stuff. He does have some good videos here and there. But a lot of it does seem like knee-jerk topic of the week trifle.

I still agree with Jim, that Valve needs to employ more people to take care of Steam itself. Everything Valve starts about the client/website, they leave in a half-completed state.

Remember when Greenlight should be abolished and the rumours about the "two storefronts" emerged? We kinda got it, since almost every game gets through GL now, but nothing was said.

Remember when they said we will have more than 1 seasons for trading cards, maybe even a binder?

Steam Music still feels like some IT intern project.

Bugs from years ago havent been fixed.

Still no invisible mode.

A new storefront homepage, but somehow they dont even seem to bother to update all pages at once and do it slowly?
I mean the Library still didnt even implement the design from the last design overhaul.

I mean they could easily employ 1-2 people that just checks some stuff before release quickly whether the game can be sold legally in most states? Hate-figures etc.

Knurek

I love how there are people on the gaming side who are amazed by the new DS4 version's battery life, because they went from 3-4 hours per charge to 6 hours per charge.

ss_d2f5e7325666df6119ff1d42be73bac9594c5b1e.600x338.jpg
B3523971A63627982B5820C2792BD5EE87B660BC

Girls.png

data

Damn. The install size for the Mordor key I received is 43GB, so it's not the GOTY version?

EDIT: On the steam store page, it's giving me the option to upgrade to the GOY edition. This is bad.

Lol this is ridiculous. I wish they would've just refunded everyone immediately instead of having everyone wait a week and then send a key that isn't even what we purchased.

Teeth

It's weird, because I don't think there is a way to buy the non-GOTY version of SoM anymore, outside of physical key-reseller sites. But yeah, the game listing is allowing me to "upgrade" to the GOTY version too.

On the bright side, I've heard multiple times that the DLC missions are mostly not worth the time it takes to play them. And considering the price....¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Echoplx

Do you have the DLC in your library? that would be the easiest way to check

I own all of it and the upgrade option is still there so probably doesn't mean anything.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I still agree with Jim, that Valve needs to employ more people to take care of Steam itself. Everything Valve starts about the client/website, they leave in a half-completed state.

Remember when Greenlight should be abolished and the rumours about the "two storefronts" emerged? We kinda got it, since almost every game gets through GL now, but nothing was said.

Remember when they said we will have more than 1 seasons for trading cards, maybe even a binder?

Steam Music still feels like some IT intern project.

Bugs from years ago havent been fixed.

Still no invisible mode.

A new storefront homepage, but somehow they dont even seem to bother to update all pages at once and do it slowly?
I mean the Library still didnt even implement the design from the last design overhaul.

I mean they could easily employ 1-2 people that just checks some stuff before release quickly whether the game can be sold legally in most states? Hate-figures etc.

Agreed on all counts. Obviously I've personally been at the forefront of this for years (and have even emailed GabeN about it several times) but it seems obvious that they see no value in doing these things. This is probably because the majority of their user-base doesn't care about things like Steam Music or updates to trading cards - Valve makes tons of money whether they do these things or not.

The sad part is, it's not even a monetary decision for them. I live about 3 hours away from Valve's headquarters, and offered to drive up and volunteer my time there a few days out of each month (as my employer allows). It would cost Valve nearly nothing to bring me on-board in that capacity outside of basic "new employee" things like legal processing for NDAs and IT support setting up a workstation, etc. I even mentioned that it wouldn't take much to bring me up to speed with their development process, as I've literally been following it for years and have a pretty good idea of how their workflow process works (or doesn't work). Sadly, even this offer was met with silence.

I get it - they probably feel threatened or annoyed with my efforts. But it really is sad that in a company where anyone can work on what they want to that nobody chooses to refine the "small things" and do the day-to-day stuff.

Tellaerin

One thing I remember from watching Nitroplus on YT is that at the intro screen, Sonico greets the player with a bow, then she stands straight up her breasts jiggle. This crap really turns me off from a game.
Still is this based on the latest ver. of the game in JP arcades?

You prefer breasts to be rock hard and motionless? >.>

Seriously, though, we're talking about a fanservice character here. That stuff's pretty much par for the course.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I love how there are people on the gaming side who are amazed by the new DS4 version's battery life, because they went from 3-4 hours per charge to 6 hours per charge.

Girls.png

Gaming side faps over anything Sony releases

Wok

I do not think the game delivered reflects either the anticipation or the critical notice it has been getting.

How often do I crave for more when a game ends? Rarely.

Did it happen with Owlboy? Yes.

Was the game objectively too short? No.

My conclusion is that Owlboy deserves a lot of praises compared to the rest of the games that I have played this year.

Dishonored 2's sudden frame drop is really bad, it would dip like crazy for no reason even though I'm not doing anything else resource heavy. My frame ranges from 90 to 8 on very high at 1440p.

Nzyme32

Dishonored 2's sudden frame drop is really bad, it would dip like crazy for no reason even though I'm not doing anything else resource heavy. My frame ranges from 90 to 8 on very high at 1440p.

There was a patch released today, is that no better? Since the failed at the first hurdle, chances are I will not buy the game till its in the bargain bin and they have fixed it. There may well be too many great games out there. Not enough time for them all and there is only so much money I can be bother putting into buying games anyway

Agreed on all counts. Obviously I've personally been at the forefront of this for years (and have even emailed GabeN about it several times) but it seems obvious that they see no value in doing these things. This is probably because the majority of their user-base doesn't care about things like Steam Music or updates to trading cards - Valve makes tons of money whether they do these things or not.

The sad part is, it's not even a monetary decision for them. I live about 3 hours away from Valve's headquarters, and offered to drive up and volunteer my time there a few days out of each month (as my employer allows). It would cost Valve nearly nothing to bring me on-board in that capacity outside of basic "new employee" things like legal processing for NDAs and IT support setting up a workstation, etc. I even mentioned that it wouldn't take much to bring me up to speed with their development process, as I've literally been following it for years and have a pretty good idea of how their workflow process works (or doesn't work). Sadly, even this offer was met with silence.

I get it - they probably feel threatened or annoyed with my efforts. But it really is sad that in a company where anyone can work on what they want to that nobody chooses to refine the "small things" and do the day-to-day stuff.

I just dont understand why no big gaming mag speaks up about that. When Arkham Knight had problems, everyone analyzed that shit, wrote how bad that port is etc. that made WB develop enough patches to make that game run well.
But somehow not even gaming mags and websites talk about the issues that Steam has.

Seriously. They push a new design, but update each webpage seperately? Who does that?

Wok

Who does that?

Valve is all about maximizing profit while minimizing effort. Make every game moddable, make every service self-sustainable, do not fix/polish until it breaks.

We sometimes joke about Valve Time, but I think it is true: Valve Time is not our time, 1 second in Valve Time is 1 month in our time, they value their time to the point anything not necessary should not be done.

Drakhyrr

So Uplay is delivering vanilla Shadow of Mordor keys. I wonder if they're trying to get away with it for everyone who doesn't complain about it. Opening support tickets may be advisable.

There was a patch released today, is that no better? Since the failed at the first hurdle, chances are I will not buy the game till its in the bargain bin and they have fixed it. There may well be too many great games out there. Not enough time for them all and there is only so much money I can be bother putting into buying games anyway
I haven't opt-in 1.3 beta patch.

Vamphuntr

Gaming side faps over anything Sony releases

This cycle there is a rather heavy Sony bias. It kind of switch every cycle. I just find it pretty funny that now it's great to ask for 60FPS and 4K since Sony allowed them the privilege to buy another 300$+ console to do so and replace their original PS4 while these standards were reserved to the elitist PC community before the miracle happened.

MadGear

Close to finishing Darksiders Warmastered and the game got a big ugly for me. After falling through the world once the game just crashed on me twice after traveling through a couple of serpent holes in a row to collect some of the stuff I missed. I just hope this won't be an issue with the final boss.

This cycle there is a rather heavy Sony bias. It kind of switch every cycle. I just find it pretty funny that now it's great to ask for 60FPS and 4K since Sony allowed them the privilege to buy another 300$+ console to do so and replace their original PS4 while these standards were reserved to the elitist PC community before the miracle happened.

Trust me. I know it personally because I bought a 4K TV at the beginning of this year and people on GAF Gaming side mocked me for that, because "no big difference between 4k and 1080p" or "you need a 100" screen to see a difference".
Also "No GPU can render modern games in 4k!" "But I can play all my japanese games with my 980TI on 4K and stuff like AC too." "Yeah. But these dont look good (japanese games) so it doesnt make sense."

That changed pretty quickly when the PS4PRo was revealed.

rtcn63

Gaming ignorance. When I was a younger, I never really understand how hardware worked. FPS drops were called slowdown and 720p was just "widescreen".

It does bother me a bit that people call the Pro a 4K console. To me- having an idea of what the internals are capable of as well a long-term exposure to PC gaming- it's more a 1080p device. In that it can maintain a locked 30 or 60fps at 1080p. I think. It can right, for the games that support it?

What arcade stick do you guys use

Now that MvC is coming to PC I want to play seriously and the pad is tough to land complex combos on.

I'd imagine most of the responses would be for the Mad Catz sticks (newest ones are SFV branded) and HORI sticks

just make sure whatever you get supports PC because some don't (or you'd need to download other software to make it work)

Volimar

Watched the Last of Us 2 trailer with the audience reaction. That was pretty neat. Props to Ashley Johnson for singing in her Ellie voice. That had to be challenging.

Also Steam is a good platform for gaming.

>.>

Watched the Last of Us 2 trailer with the audience reaction. That was pretty neat. Props to Ashley Johnson for singing in her Ellie voice. That had to be challenging.

Also Steam is a good platform for gaming.

>.>

It is. Its just that people wonder why a multibillion dollar company cant afford to put money to fix some of their bugs.

Girls.png

I just presumed my Steam controller ran on nuclear energy because I don't think I've changed the batteries yet on my since I've bought it, it's got insane battery life.

I'll still never understand the love for the DS4 controller >_>

I think if you grew up with the PSX controller, you will love the DS4 controller. I mean I grew up with it, really loved it, would defend it till the death, then the standard controller for PC became the 360 one and I got used to that so the DS controllers all feel strange to me.

Just another preference I guess.

AHA-Lambda

I grew up with and used every single PS controller since the PS1 and I still would take the 360 pad over any of them, any day of the week.

Girls.png
I like this post. It's like that girl height thing that Grief flogs except enjoyable. ;) And yeah, the Steam Controller goes a long time.
Nier releasing on PC day and date with the console version.

tlZG3OF.png
After all the drama, and it ends up being a non-issue?! Sony's lies man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom