• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2016 - Winter (Sale) Is Coming Dec 22nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

Dude, dude. You are not even aware you broke a million :eek:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbaaI5xf4y8

...BOKU WA SHOCK!

Wow I hadn't even noticed it in my video list.
l2PmO0v.jpg

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Surely a game being a PlayStation exclusive doesn't artificially inflate its scores.

That's never happened.

Well, I will give it a chance and if I find it boring I will just skip it, thank you.
Once you're done with the main campaign and/or expansions you might also consider playing some user-made modules. There's some pretty good ones that are also better than the base game. I'm currently playing through The Aielund Saga and I just started Act 4 (about 30-35 hours in).

Ludens

Banned
Completed the main plot of FFXV, 24 hours. I posted my impression in the spoiler thread for those interested, I copy/paste it here even if there's nothing spoilerish at all, in any case I put it under spoiler:

Well, I just completed the game. I don't know what I can really say about it. I kinda liked it and enjoyed what I played, but the game is really full of issues and for me it's not even remotely close to those 9/10 it got in and there.
The overworld is just dull and boring, the car travel is unsufferable, wasting a good amount of the player's time, there's no reason in a game we should look at a screen for ten minutes doing nothing just ro reach the destination, with some dialogues in the background which doesn't even cover all the travel usually, just a small portion of it.
Hunts are boring excluding some of them, sides are boring, cities are a missed chance, since they feel so empty compared to old FF titles but even to games like Witcher 3. I can understand creating buildings in which you can enter is hard, but man, in those cities there's literally nothing you can visit. Altissia is a pain to navigate, because you are forced to use the gondola. Yeah, nice view etc. etc, but nothing else.
Same for Lestallum.
The plot is a disaster. Not in the sense is bad, the story more or less is very standard, with the final sacrifice of the hero, but the way the game is narrated...oh, man.
So much happening off-screen, so many questions.
The big evil dude is just...dunno, bland? Yeah, he is immortal, yeah, he wants revenge, but still he helps Noctis and co. several times because...he wants to fight him on full power pretty much? He is like e less crazy Kefka, only immortal and with a "cool" look.

I didn't like the enviroments too, this fantasy based on reality look just...boring. Also where is the reality? Only because the car, the way characters wear and, as I said, the architecture of some places?

I give the game a 6.5/10, as I wrote I enjoyed it but there are just so many issues I can't really suggest this to someone who never played a FF to start loving the franchise.

I find also disrispectful the fact SE probably cut out contents to ship the game and sell them later as dlcs (yeah, I'm pretty sure the 3 dlcs for the 3 guys will just cover the plot holes left unsolved in the main game).

I don't even want to talk about cut content in general, since a lot of people already pointed that out in this same thread.

Surely a game being a PlayStation exclusive doesn't artificially inflate its scores.

That's never happened.

bc4ba4f4764562e7b61655b83109a07486feac15_full.jpg

----

I almost have to give Last Guardian a go. Around when SotC came out, I was an absolute mess and landed for a brief time on my mom's couch. I remember watching my little brother play it and distinctly remember it as the moment where we were just distant. I tried replaying later like I tried reconnecting, half-assed, too mired in myself to meet halfway, frustrated and flighty.

Still haven't gotten beyond the first colossus but we share memes a lot, now.

rtcn63

Sometimes I question whether games with troubled development histories should be given a pass by reviewers (and gamers). Context matters, no one's denying that. But scoring something higher because "it didn't totally fuck up" doesn't help when you consider that in the eyes of the uninformed, these titles' scores are being put up against scores for games that didn't explicitly go through "development hell". (Which by the way should be a genre tag if it isn't already- I should get around to trying Duke Nukem Forever)

yuraya

Completed the main plot of FFXV, 24 hours. I posted my impression in the spoiler thread for those interested, I copy/paste it here even if there's nothing spoilerish at all, in any case I put it under spoiler:

Well, I just completed the game. I don't know what I can really say about it. I kinda liked it and enjoyed what I played, but the game is really full of issues and for me it's not even remotely close to those 9/10 it got in and there.
The overworld is just dull and boring, the car travel is unsufferable, wasting a good amount of the player's time, there's no reason in a game we should look at a screen for ten minutes doing nothing just ro reach the destination, with some dialogues in the background which doesn't even cover all the travel usually, just a small portion of it.
Hunts are boring excluding some of them, sides are boring, cities are a missed chance, since they feel so empty compared to old FF titles but even to games like Witcher 3. I can understand creating buildings in which you can enter is hard, but man, in those cities there's literally nothing you can visit. Altissia is a pain to navigate, because you are forced to use the gondola. Yeah, nice view etc. etc, but nothing else.
Same for Lestallum.
The plot is a disaster. Not in the sense is bad, the story more or less is very standard, with the final sacrifice of the hero, but the way the game is narrated...oh, man.
So much happening off-screen, so many questions.
The big evil dude is just...dunno, bland? Yeah, he is immortal, yeah, he wants revenge, but still he helps Noctis and co. several times because...he wants to fight him on full power pretty much? He is like e less crazy Kefka, only immortal and with a "cool" look.

I didn't like the enviroments too, this fantasy based on reality look just...boring. Also where is the reality? Only because the car, the way characters wear and, as I said, the architecture of some places?

I give the game a 6.5/10, as I wrote I enjoyed it but there are just so many issues I can't really suggest this to someone who never played a FF to start loving the franchise.

I find also disrispectful the fact SE probably cut out contents to ship the game and sell them later as dlcs (yeah, I'm pretty sure the 3 dlcs for the 3 guys will just cover the plot holes left unsolved in the main game).

I don't even want to talk about cut content in general, since a lot of people already pointed that out in this same thread.

6.5 is kinda bad. So is the game worth buying if it comes to pc at launch? Or wait for good sale?

Parsnip

Been playing a bunch of Darksiders, I completely fotgot about some of the garbage achievements.

Anyone else having the loading times from Dragon's Dogma take an eternity? When I started in the first area after the tutorial, it loaded up pretty fast. Not more than 10 seconds. Now I noticed it increased to around 30-40 seconds. Any idea what caused this increase? For what it's worth, I'm playing it maxed out at 1440p (downsampled), no AA and 60fps cap.
Are you using any injectors, reshade or whatever. In some games those increase my loading times considerably.

Ludens

Banned
6.5 is kinda bad. So is the game worth buying if it comes to pc at launch? Or wait for good sale?

It really depends, you need to consider the price first, and the fact if it will include or not the dlcs, because
they probably are ESSENTIAL to uncover some plot things. I mean, we know stuff in the spoiler thread just because some guys bought the official guide and there are ESSENTIAL, and I mean ESSENTIAL infos about some things which are not even mentioned in the game.

I paid 25€ for it, I will trade-in to Gamestop for 40€ and it's the only reason I bought the game, because I'm a huge FF fan and I had the chance not only to play this for free, but even gaining back some additional bucks from it. But I can't really suggest to take it for 70€, in example, or 95€ if you want the future dlcs too. It's just too much, the game is totally not worth those money in my opinion.

A good price on PC would be 40€ but including ALL dlcs, the one already planned for the season pass and the future ones (no, not stuff like weapons and skins). Considering the game already sold 5 million and the fact you can find it new for 40€ here (with no need to trade-in games, 40€ was the pre-order price of the title from Unieuro, Comet had it for 30€, a lot of good offers around), I think the Pc version will land as soon as all dlcs will be released, with probably a GOTY edition on console.

As it is now, the game is simply a dutch tape work in order to ship it. I mean, the fact they patched in some cutscenes from Kingsglaive can hint how poor is the title from this aspect (and the patchwork is horrible anyway).

MaxiLive

Last repost

Is Modbot broke?! I entered this earlier and have done a giveaway etc but it doesn't seem like my entry or anyone else's has shown up as it just says "taken by Rhaknar" (Congrats btw ^.^).

Just wondering if it is borked or if that is just the way it has displayed the winner.

Hektor

It really depends, you need to consider the price first, and the fact if it will include or not the dlcs, because
they probably are ESSENTIAL to uncover some plot things. I mean, we know stuff in the spoiler thread just because some guys bought the official guide and there are ESSENTIAL, and I mean ESSENTIAL infos about some things which are not even mentioned in the game.

Link please. i'm not even surprised lol

Ludens

Banned
Link please. Considering how the entire story of this game happens offscreen i'm not even surprised lol

Eh, providing a link is hard, just read the whole Spoiler thread in gaming. But since I finish the game I can confirm what I wrote is sadly true, they even put some of the "old" look of some characters in the official guide instead the new one, it's a mess, I think not even SE knows what is canor or not anymore in this game compared to Versus XIII.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is Modbot broke?! I entered this earlier and have done a giveaway etc but it doesn't seem like my entry or anyone else's has shown up as it just says "taken by Rhaknar" (Congrats btw ^.^).

Just wondering if it is borked or if that is just the way it has displayed the winner.

The number of entrants is displayed in the other two posts, just not that one for some reason.

sadblob

How about the movie (Kingsglaive I think)? Is it also necessary to understand the plot?

It's kinda annoying that you have to consume like 10 extra pieces of media or be confused.

shockdude

ICO and SoTC were both awesome on PS3, but I've been playing on PC ever since so unless I get a PS4 at the end of the generation I don't think I'll ever get around to TLG. Oh well.

I would not be surprised. The game was very blatant with missing elements that screamed buy the dlc to learn more.
Gladiolus is leaving for an extended period of time with little to no questioning, and randomly rejoins you at the factory. Ignis loses his vision after the epic battle in Altissia and kind of breezes pass the who, what, where, when and why. Prompto is kidnapped by Ardyn and is locked up in a tower for an extended period of time. When they finally rescue him, he learns a lot of things that are sort of glossed over and...wait why is Ravus dead?? And that's not even getting into the 10 year skip where Talbott said they were doing their own thing to survive which also screamed DLC time.
The more I let the story sink in after playing it, the more issues I have with it. It's not a bad game at all, just a really messy one.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
So, has SE fucked over their own steam sales when they release FF XV on Steam?

Probably would've been better to release it day one, but SE knows best

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Your FFXV review makes me feel better about waiting for the inevitable PC version. Not dusting off my PS4 for it, unless it's a console exclusive. I have a feeling it isn't.

zkylon

zkylewd
Sometimes I question whether games with troubled development histories should be given a pass by reviewers (and gamers). Context matters, no one's denying that. But scoring something higher because "it didn't totally fuck up" doesn't help when you consider that in the eyes of the uninformed, these titles' scores are being put up against scores for games that didn't explicitly go through "development hell". (Which by the way should be a genre tag if it isn't already- I should get around to trying Duke Nukem Forever)
given a pass? hell no :p

context matters but the work should speak for itself

if duke nukem forever tries to pretend duke's still relevant, you can understand it from the perspective that this script was written in like 1999, but in the end it's still unfunny and insulting to ur intelligence lol

that doesn't mean the history and the final result can't be fascinating and interesting for an entirely different reason than the actual finished game, and i'm sure that the last guardian is gonna be really interesting even if the game turns out to be really bad, but u know, if it's bad it's bad

same thing for other way around, obs games had like really bad histories with publishers being shit and really bad management and whatnot, and it's common to say they're good or great despite all of that, and that's cool and it adds "value" to talking and thinking about the game on top of the actual game, but what made games like new vegas or alpha protocol great is the thing you actually got to play

Durante

So, has SE fucked over their own steam sales when they release FF XV on Steam?
Of course they did.

They would have done so even had it received predominantly good word of mouth - just not as much. Even good impressions won't make as many people pay full price for a late port as they would for a day-and-date release.

Bad or mediocre impressions kill its chances completely.

Tizoc

Of course they did.

They would have done so even had it received predominantly good word of mouth - just not as much. Even good impressions won't make as many people pay full price for a late port as they would for a day-and-date release.

What do you say to a $40~60 Steam release+all dlcs?

Lashley

I can't find Dead Rising 4 on the Windows Store?

Of course they did.

I always wonder why they do it, then? Surely not many people double dip?

Wok

Holly Molly. Skynet is there to beat our games.

https://openai.com/blog/universe/

https://universe.openai.com/

https://universe.openai.com/envs#pc_games

Universe allows an AI agent to use a computer like a human does: by looking at screen pixels and operating a virtual keyboard and mouse. We must train AI systems on the full range of tasks we expect them to solve, and Universe lets us train a single agent on any task a human can complete with a computer.

With support from EA, Microsoft Studios, Valve, Wolfram, and many others, we've already secured permission for Universe AI agents to freely access games and applications such as Portal, Fable Anniversary, World of Goo, RimWorld, Slime Rancher, Shovel Knight, SpaceChem, Wing Commander III, Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2, Syndicate, Magic Carpet, Mirror's Edge, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, and Wolfram Mathematica. We look forward to integrating these and many more.

If your program would yield good training tasks for an AI then we'd love your permission to package it in Universe. Good candidates have an on-screen number (such as a game score) which can be parsed as a reward, or well-defined objectives, either natively or definable by the user.

Lashley

X-Men/FF characters coming to MvC4....As DLC

According to the guy who leaked the reveal at PSX, so it seems reliable

Ludens

Banned
How about the movie (Kingsglaive I think)? Is it also necessary to understand the plot?

It's kinda annoying that you have to consume like 10 extra pieces of media or be confused.

Yes and no. It gives you more background about the
invasion, showing some stuff happening in the game you actually don't see
, but it also bring you confusion because
some of the characters you see appear in the game for ONE scene and they are left in the limbo.

One example on how stupid FFXV plot can be:
there's this evil dude you see in the movie, in the trailers SE released back in days and...in ONE scene present in the game. One scene. One scene of...40 seconds? Well, later you'll fight this dude in his "monster" version. Apparently it turned into a monster but guess what? The game tells you NOTHING about it. I know that dude turned into a monster because someone with the official guide posted it.
The game is full of this stuff, just think about a Duke Nukem Forever case, just much much worse because this game relies on the story and they couldn't fit it in one title so they did a mess in order to provide a game which make sense but it fails even on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom