• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2016 - Winter (Sale) Is Coming Dec 22nd

Status
Not open for further replies.
720p 20-30fps should be good enough for DS3 and DS1 all things considered. DS2 should be 720p60 since it runs on any pc toaster. I think the Nvidia tech inside the Switch is gonna blow some minds. Its gonna be a powerful ass handheld.
FWIW DS1 ran considerably worse than DS2. I'm talking way below 720p and 30 fps while the second managed an easy 720p at 30-45fps.
Either From got some new talent knowing their way around PC or making a game with a platform in mind from the get-go is majorly helpful.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Are Steam review numbers universal? Like - are the numbers the same for everyone, regardless of region / language of the reviews themselves?

Asking for a friend
just kidding, I'm pretty sure they're universal but would like confirmation from you fine folks around the world before I do... something

gar3

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Wizardry 6 and 7 -- MB-F24E0A99D76A1D0D - Taken by Natty1

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Are Steam review numbers universal? Like - are the numbers the same for everyone, regardless of region / language of the reviews themselves?

Asking for a friend
just kidding, I'm pretty sure they're universal but would like confirmation from you fine folks around the world before I do... something

Yeah, save for cases where a region has its own app which itself has its own store page.

yuraya

FWIW DS1 ran considerably worse than DS2. I'm talking way below 720p and 30 fps while the second managed an easy 720p at 30-45fps.
Either From got some new talent knowing their way around PC or making a game with a platform in mind from the get-go is majorly helpful.

DS2 was just a massive downgrade from DS1. The entire game was linear corridor after linear corridor until the end with many shoddy textures. There was nothing in the game that was ambitious in terms of level design like Blightown or the forest. They toned down on all the effects too. The big open areas didn't make a return until DS3.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Yeah, save for cases where a region has its own app which itself has its own store page.

Perfect, cheers.

I'm planning on creating a totally optional setting in Enhanced Steam that will allow users to upload review data for apps to Enhanced Steam's servers. Even if only a small percentage of people activate that feature, we should have a wide enough swath to be able to do some cool things with that such as giving users the ability to sort their wishlists by review scores.

The "upload" itself will be totally anonymized, and will probably only consist of the request for data on a particular page including that page's review data as an additional variable - so it won't be sent with any data that could be traced back to an individual user. The server side will pick that data up (if it's sent) and run verification on it to test it's validity before caching it for a few hours/days.

Hopefully, if enough people opt-in, everyone will benefit.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
South Park STILL showing in new releases...

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
That's great

I've liked the game so much so far that I bought the expansions. I should have bought the gold edition instead of the normal edition when I had the chance.

Stabbing people with the Blade of Woe is cool.

I finished all the Dark Bro stuff today. I hope it didnt have the gating on the story quests, like... I get it in a perspective of how it would have been on release, but it was annoying. I actually dedicated today to grind contracts and get the last 3 ranks I needed to finish the story. The story itself was fine, if a little heavy handed (but I guess Dark Bro is always heavy handed). I started the Thieves Guild earlier and it feels much more light hearted.

Also, Naryu is my waifu. And Raz is my bro, I miss being a cat so I could hang out with Raz more. The game has some fantastic characters.

Adnor

Banned
I finished all the Dark Bro stuff today. I hope it didnt have the gating on the story quests, like... I get it in a perspective of how it would have been on release, but it was annoying. I actually dedicated today to grind contracts and get the last 3 ranks I needed to finish the story.

Also, Naryu is my waifu. And Raz is my bro, I miss being a cat so I could hang out with Raz more. The game has some fantastic characters.

Raz is great, my favorite character so far. He's just a cat bro who is ready to stab you if you even think of betraying the queen.

47525B8EE3F38F6D3483E0EE30A590861FC65EEB

Murdercat likes fire.

Teggy

I wonder if the Yogscast bundle games are going to become increasingly more obscure. Maybe I will finally own bad rats.

Saty

Perfect, cheers.

Hey Jshack, is it possible to add to the Recently Played page a button which pressing it would regulate the title to the Excluded Games list? It would be much better than going to each store page individually or even remember the name of a game i idle cards for.

Perfect, cheers.

I'm planning on creating a totally optional setting in Enhanced Steam that will allow users to upload review data for apps to Enhanced Steam's servers. Even if only a small percentage of people activate that feature, we should have a wide enough swath to be able to do some cool things with that such as giving users the ability to sort their wishlists by review scores.

The "upload" itself will be totally anonymized, and will probably only consist of the request for data on a particular page including that page's review data as an additional variable - so it won't be sent with any data that could be traced back to an individual user. The server side will pick that data up (if it's sent) and run verification on it to test it's validity before caching it for a few hours/days.

Hopefully, if enough people opt-in, everyone will benefit.

This sounds pretty useful and just might be the push I need to start cranking out reviews. It's something I've wanted to do, just to even out the scales of consumption vs production a little, since right now I'm just a consumptive vacuum.

Teggy

Man, I feel like I'm missing something with the Inside GOTY hype. I mean, it looks really nice and has some cool moments, but I'm surprised at the reaction it's gotten from a lot of people.

jshackles

Hey Jshack, is it possible to add to the Recently Played page a button which pressing it would regulate the title to the Excluded Games list? It would be much better than going to each store page individually or even remember the name of a game i idle cards for.

By Excluded Games list, do you mean marking that game as "not interested"?

Man, I feel like I'm missing something with the Inside GOTY hype. I mean, it looks really nice and has some cool moments, but I'm surprised at the reaction it's gotten from a lot of people.

Beat it the other day, and apart from awesome views, the great use of sounds and animations, I didn't like it either. Some of the design descisions really annoyed me, and the ending was way to weird for me.

rtcn63

Just... everything is over-hyped. AAA. Indie. It's everyone wanking each other off, and I guess it works for some, but... read reviews and impressions, just don't ever take anything at face value. Ones with drug-addled flowery language should raise an eyebrow immediately. Try to make note of the commonly mentioned positives and negatives across them... especially the ESO shills in this thread I WONT FALL FOR YOUR LIES.

Just... everything is over-hyped. AAA. Indie. It's everyone wanking each other off, and I guess it works for some, but... read reviews and impressions, just don't ever take anything at face value. Ones with drug-addled flowery language should raise an eyebrow immediately. Try to make note of the commonly mentioned positives and negatives across them... especially the ESO shills in this thread I WONT FALL FOR YOUR LIES.

you doing ok? who hurt you today

Teggy

Beat it the other day, and apart from awesome views, the great use of sounds and animations, I didn't like it either. Some of the design descisions really annoyed me, and the ending was way to weird for me.

I didn't dislike it, I just find the amount of praise being heaped on it to be surprising.

Teggy

I'll give you a copy if you want it. Might I also interest you in some Gun Monkeys?

But then if I got it in a bundle then I would have an extra copy. Not very efficient. I have at least one copy of Gun Monkeys.

OK my latest iOS Steam pet peeve besides not running Steam videos and not supporting Enhanced Steam is having to authenticate every damn time I visit the Web site. Argh.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I think my next removed games acquisitions will be "Fortune's Tavern", "Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader?" (Apparently not, since I'm falling down this hole), and "Star Trek D.A.C.".

Some questions: Some of the rarer removed games are only available from traders who want keys. Two things--first, can I offer Paypal in lieu of keys? If so, what exchange rate? Maybe $1.70-1.80? I am fine with paying first, using whatever mode they want, etc. Second, if I do need to give keys, where the hell do I buy keys from?

No, I'm not planning on spending the $675 that the most recent trader copy of Wolfenstein was listed as.

I think my next removed games acquisitions will be "Fortune's Tavern", "Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader?" (Apparently not, since I'm falling down this hole), and "Star Trek D.A.C.".

Some questions: Some of the rarer removed games are only available from traders who want keys. Two things--first, can I offer Paypal in lieu of keys? If so, what exchange rate? Maybe $1.70-1.80? I am fine with paying first, using whatever mode they want, etc. Second, if I do need to give keys, where the hell do I buy keys from?

No, I'm not planning on spending the $675 that the most recent trader copy of Wolfenstein was listed as.

DunderHassan popped in BST to unload a grip of keys this week.

jshackles

First of all, be careful doing Paypal trades as I would recommend strongly against doing any "friends and family" transfers which is what the sellers will most likely request because Paypal won't take fees from that, or especially if they're attempting to scam you. These transactions cannot be contested with Paypal so there is a high chance for fraud. In addition to that, doing the trade "outside of Steam's ecosystem" means that if something goes wrong, Valve will also not help you recover anything that may be lost if a trade goes south for any reason (ie they sell you a key that isn't valid).

As for keys, you can buy them from other users (for Paypal, though see above). You can also buy them directly from CS:GO / TF2 / whatever is all the rage these days, directly in-game. This is the most expensive way of doing it. You can also buy them on the Steam marketplace directly using wallet funds.

EDIT: also, I still think you're crazy but I'm glad to see you're not crazy enough to buy Wolfenstein for $675.

EDIT EDIT: Star Trek DAC got a retail release that included a Steam key. New copies are selling on eBay for less than $10 so that might be a better way of getting it than buying it from a reseller who might just be a middle-man to the same source.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
As for keys, you can buy them from other users (for Paypal, though see above). You can also buy them directly from CS:GO / TF2 / whatever is all the rage these days, directly in-game. This is the most expensive way of doing it. You can also buy them on the Steam marketplace directly using wallet funds.

The latter options seem to be like $2.50 a key--the problem with the former is that I don't know where to look or whether I'd be penalized for not having trading credibility. I am not interested in generally being involved in the trading economy, I just want to make a small number of purchases and then move on with my life.

EDIT EDIT: Star Trek DAC got a retail release that included a Steam key. New copies are selling on eBay for less than $10 so that might be a better way of getting it than buying it from a reseller who might just be a middle-man to the same source.

Yep, that's the plan. For trading I'm interested in 007 Legends, since there's a guy on Steamtrades selling what he claims is a ROW copy for 15 keys

Wok

DunderHassan popped in BST to unload a grip of keys this week.

The latter options seem to be like $2.50 a key--the problem with the former is that I don't know where to look or whether I'd be penalized for not having trading credibility. I am not interested in generally being involved in the trading economy, I just want to make a small number of purchases and then move on with my life.

Look for the Dunder.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Rockin' Ranger:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Rockin' Ranger, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Shadowrun: Dragonfall -- MB-670782B5F6E59D6D - Taken by pislit. 6 entrants total.
UnderRail -- MB-41486CD843E39D42 - Taken by texhnolyze. 22 entrants total.

t1481069518z1.png

Got Shadow Tactics cheap-ish from GMG (not a bad launch discount). Man, this game is *great*. Totally satisfies that old Commandos itch. A bit more puzzl-y than Commandoes, but setting up some combo kills with your four characters is immensely satisfying.

And now the UPS guy just dropped off my Oculus Touch controllers. Good day for gaming!

Phawx

Speaking of all this removed games stuff, is there an easy way to find out how many I have and what they are?

Stump posted a link a few pages ago. Just look at Stump's post history.

Edit: Speaking of, what is that fancy shmacy group that accepts people who have enough removed games?

Parsnip

Crossposting from gamepump! thread.

http://www.alistdaily.com/strategy/robert-bowling-explains-gamepump-makes-old-ip-new/

GamePump currently has 20 games in the pipeline as well as a few spiritual successors or modern remakes redone by a current developer in the works. “The main console we’re pulling games from is the 1983 MSX,” Bowling said. “We found Nintendo doesn’t allow you to emulate any hardware because they’re doing it themselves. But if Japanese publishers released the same NES game on non-Nintendo systems like MSX, we could acquire the MSX version. It’s the same game, but we need to localize them. The nice thing is that many MSX versions will have an extra level or different ending that the American audience never got to enjoy.”

Each game deal is on a case-by-case basis due to the nature of the legal contracts. Sometimes GamePump acquires an entire catalog of games, and in those cases, they can release them on as many platforms as possible. “In rarer cases, it’s a larger publisher like a Konami or a Microprose, where they’re not going to sell the catalog but they will license it to bring to Steam because they’re not going to do it themselves and we split revenue with that publisher,” Bowling said. “If Steam goes well, it’s not farfetched to do releases on other platforms. We’re trying to own as much as we can, but sometimes it’s worthwhile to get IP you don’t own.”

So, can we hope for MSX Metal Gear on Steam? It would be pretty dope if he got them to license the whole Metal Gear catalog, not just the MSX games, though that seems unlikely.

Stump posted a link a few pages ago. Just look at Stump's post history.

Edit: Speaking of, what is that fancy shmacy group that accepts people who have enough removed games?

Thanks.

edit: More than I expected I guess.
Total Removed Games Count : 34 / 458
Total Removed Software/Hardware Count : 0 / 2
Total Purchase Disabled Games Count : 4 / 82

Total Games Count : 1737

GAMEPROFF

Banned
So, can we hope for MSX Metal Gear on Steam? It would be pretty dope if he got them to license the whole Metal Gear catalog, not just the MSX games, though that seems unlikely.
Since NES Metal Gear (the only non-MSX Metal Gear) is a completly different game and he is talking about NES games running on MSX... no.

Vibranium

Banned
Finished Life is Strange. Kate, Frank and Warren were my favorite side characters. A shame about how the plot turned out and the writing disappointed but hey! There was only ever one ending for me and
it's having Chloe and Max riding off, hella cool. Screw Arcadia Bay, I didn't like how Dontnod tried to push more toward the Sacrifice ending. I really wish there was an option to see who made it out of the town if you helped certain people. Well it's video games, and at least Max still has her parents alive in any case. Her and Chloe are rocking out in Portland or somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom