• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2016 - Winter (Sale) Is Coming Dec 22nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The German version isn't censored in any way?

I think the key that was included (in my copy at least, mind this was almost 3 years ago now) was a ROW key. This is what it looks like on my activation page:

e7H3apy.png

So I don't think it activated a german-specific sub or anything. I didn't have to use a VPN to activate it or anything shady, just typed it into Steam and away I went to never playing it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Finished Life is Strange. Kate, Frank and Warren were my favorite side characters. A shame about how the plot turned out and the writing disappointed but hey! There was only ever one ending for me and
it's having Chloe and Max riding off, hella cool. Screw Arcadia Bay, I didn't like how Dontnod tried to push more toward the Sacrifice ending. I really wish there was an option to see who made it out of the town if you helped certain people. Well it's video games, and at least Max still has her parents alive in any case. Her and Chloe are rocking out in Portland or somewhere.

I think the implication is that
Max's time meddling will inevitably destroy everything--even if the Sacrifice Arcadia Bay ending still let you save some of the town, it's not like the bizarre ecological collapse wouldn't continue to affect other places as Max and Chloe cruised around.

yuraya

More people are playing MS Flight Simulator than Infinite Warfare

More people are playing Medieval II: Total War than Infinite Warfare

More people are playing No Man's Sky than Infinite Warfare

Call of Duty is Dead.

Nzyme32

This 007 Legends talk has got me looking at all sorts of shit 007 games on PC that I'm thinking of buying when I absolutely shouldn't at the current prices. I already have Mafia and Prey, and those are the real heroes

According to this review, Tyranny sounds like a cheap attempt with broken systems.

Whether cheap or not - I utterly love Tyranny thus far. It improves upon Pillars in many ways despite be quite different in its nature.

Hope it wins an illustrious Steam Awards™ *sponsored by gillette for men and gillette for women #godforbidtheseproductsworkwiththeoppositesex

Locust

007 Legends is worth playing just to see see how awful a PC port can be at its worst. Koei ports got nothing on that shit.

Nzyme32

Metacritic has peaked

C4u4RBS.png

Any other recommendations for retail copies of removed games I should take a look at? Preferably good games.

Let me strongly not recommend 007 Legends - it's awful and doesn't even serve a good purpose as a +1 if that is what you are into. Immediate thought was Prey, which is actually pretty good. They still sell them here on UK amazon but the price has quadrupled since my mega giveaway a few years back.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Metacritic has peaked

C4u4RBS.png

Steam changed the format to Metacritic's "colors and boxes" which broke the format ES was using. It's been fixed in the dev channel, so it'll get fixed in the next release.

Teggy

Have anyone here played Shadow Tactics with a gamepad? How is it?

I played the demo with an xbox one controller. Camera took a bit of getting used to, but it wasn't too bad. I'm very controller-biased, though, hate using keyboard.

Speaking of 007, I'd love a spiritual sequel to Everything or Nothing. That was the most "James Bond" James Bond game IMO.

Locust

Too lazy to look it up, how bad we talking?
From the top of my head: rendering locked to 720p, no graphics options whatsoever, mouse control feels like its simulating joysticks, no controller support.

It doesn't crash though, so suppose its got at least that going for it.

Nzyme32

What exactly is this maintenance that is carried out weekly on Steam?

I feel like this should be obvious, but I don't think I've ever asked the question

I played the demo with an xbox one controller. Camera took a bit of getting used to, but it wasn't too bad. I'm very controller-biased, though, hate using keyboard.

Yeah, me too. It's a genre that I loved badly when I was still a child back then. But I hate using a m/kb for gaming now so it's a gift that the game has full controller support. I've just realized earlier that the game has a demo. I guess I'm trying it later tonight.

jshackles

What exactly is this maintenance that is carried out weekly on Steam?

I feel like this should be obvious, but I don't think I've ever asked the question

Steam operates most of their online infrastructure from a CDN or Content Delivery Network. Essentially, they have origin servers that host their website, databases, etc that handle not only the delivery of web-based content but also handle things such as server hosting and matchmaking in games. This data gets replicated across the world to be able to handle the millions of simultaneous users that connect to Steam.

Every Tuesday (more or less) they take the updated content from the internal dev servers and push them to the origin servers, which then (in turn) update all the servers hosting steam content on the CDN. Presumably, they take their CDN connections offline until the content is refreshed - which is why some parts of the world come back online sooner than others. Most likely they do this to eliminate any potential issues that could arise from having one set of servers with different versions of code from other servers that could potentially introduce vulnerabilities.

So essentially this is just a Steam-wide "software refresh". Most of the stuff it's pushing to their CDN servers is probably things going on in the background that we'll never know about. Either that, or the process is so automated that it happens even when code changes don't take place (that would be so Valve).

It doesn't have to be this way, but I get it that it's probably the easiest way to make sure their entire online server infrastructure is hosting the correct content with the least amount of hassle for them - even though it's a huge hassle for us the users.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Just got a personal email from the CEO of GamePump saying they were working on getting some of the old Brøderbund licenses. (Not trolling)

Vamphuntr

According to this review, Tyranny sounds like a cheap attempt with broken systems.

I beat the game and enjoyed it a lot. Writing is really good and the lore is probably more interesting to me than anything released this year so far but I agree with many of the points made. Battles are really all the same. The same strategies work again and again since there isn't much enemies variety here. There's also no hard ailments so no hard counters either. No spell triggers, contingency, dispel, disintegrate, hard petrify, spell shield and so on. Magic isn't tied to spell memorized like D&D and pillars and instead are on cooldowns so your Mages never really run out of magic if you pump enough points to get spell slots. You can use the sigil that knocks off enemies on the ground every battles and often more than once during a battle if you customized in a way to reduce cooldown.

Battles tend to go for a quantity versus quality approach for encounters.Maps are also really small and filled with the same group of enemies all over it. And yeah people despising you doesn't do much you still get a reputation skill anyway and sometimes the one for being hated is better than the one for being friendly. The plot isn't resolved at the end either hinting at an expansion or a sequel which is kind of disappointing.

And in the end your choices really don't matter much gameplay wise since no matter who you ally with the final task is the same. Some areas are locked and some people love/hate you from the beginning but in the end all path converges anyway.

I felt the writing makes me forgive it's flaws though. If you are going for a pure gameplay approach you won't like this much. I played with a mage MC on hard and pretty much thrashed everything without much effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom