• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December II 2014 - A thread for people who don't like sale side posters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I LIVE.

And I've brought some goodies for the holiday season. Starting off with this - the extra beta code from the Don't Starve Together mailout I received.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Don't Starve Together (Beta) (Steam) -- MB-C85321D9717BB3D2 - Taken by creamfarts. 7 entrants total.

t1419459906z1.png

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

note to randoms: gunpoint is fucking awesome. it takes up almost no disk space, it's short, it's well written, it's extremely satisfying to play. this is something that should not sit in your backlog, you should play it as soon as you get it.

For those wondering about the digital Talisman, do you enjoy the boardgame version? If so, this is a remarkably faithful adaptation. It runs well, plays well, and it's nice to have the system take care of the book-keeping. At the same time, it's a very faithful adaptation; it doesn't bring anything "digital" to the table above and beyond recreating the boardgame (i.e. cards don't animate, etc). If you get the expansions it's also very nice in terms of the fine-tuned control over everything (which parts of the expansions to include or not, which characters to include or not), and gives you a lot of control over the most common "house rule" modifications people make.

Talisman is Talisman. It's roll-and-move-and-hope-for-the-best. Dumb, but can be very fun with the right group. Pretty random. Has the potential to run loooooong, even with the digital version managing the upkeep. Still, if you want a digital Talisman, this is about as good as you could expect it to get, and at the discount price it's a no-brainer.

note to randoms: gunpoint is fucking awesome. it takes up almost no disk space, it's short, it's well written, it's extremely satisfying to play. this is something that should not sit in your backlog, you should play it as soon as you get it.

Yeah, it last exactly the right amount of time, and when you come up with a creative solution that actually works for a level you get that puzzle-rush feeling so well.

Not to mention the save system is *fantastic*, making trying stuff out iteratively incredibly easy.

Monooboe

Understood, I will get to it this week.:D I bought it last wintersale and totally forgot about it.o_O

inm8num2

Yeah so Indiegala. They have a Christmas special where they are selling the Friday Special and Every Monday (Bundle) for $1 each.

I understand those bundles were a bit more a few days ago...

Classic Indie Gala. Groupees has done that a few times, too, with the whole "dollar days" deal happening right when bundles expired.

Anustart

Playing through Guacamelee! and it's barely hooking me. The controls a tad annoying with regards to turning around, combat isn't much fun, though it isn't bad. Figure I'll slog through til the finish because it's good enough for that I guess, but otherwise I'm let down.

zkylon

zkylewd
Playing through Guacamelee! and it's barely hooking me. The controls a tad annoying with regards to turning around, combat isn't much fun, though it isn't bad. Figure I'll slog through til the finish because it's good enough for that I guess, but otherwise I'm let down.

yea, i didn't feel guacamelee did anything to remain in my head more than what was necessary

FloatOn

once more mechanics start opening up it gets much better.

Spares.
By the way, Merry Christmas to everyone! (it's not Christmas here yet, but I bet it is somewhere, probably in JaseC land)

ModBot said:
Instructions for Kurt Russell:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

GORKY 17 -- MB-27E3A824C034DC13 - Taken by Blu(e)
JAGGED ALLIANCE 2 - WILDFIRE -- MB-2CBBA5F4B920F41A
DUNGEONS: THE EYE OF DRACONUS -- MB-55686A17FC95FED3 - Taken by Deques
QUEST OF DUNGEONS -- MB-62AD09B09DB50B8B - Taken by thereisnoif

inm8num2

Just wait until the Tule Tree. ;)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Pff Rule is for scrubs. Now Serra Modena's... Even the devs toned it down for the re-release.
screw those half centimetre platforms!

Honestly, I found that section much easier than the tree tops. I keep hearing people mention both as though they have comparable difficulty but it wasn't even close for me. Even if you use the chicken suit tree tops is still extremely difficult and requires great timing and control.

Think I just passed it. Did a mile long butt slam to get out of it. Would take a miracle to elevate the game above passable now.

Above passable? The game is a masterpiece and deserves better than you. :p
Just stop playing it now since it's only "passable" to your most excellent tastes. For everyone's benefit.

Vibranium

Banned
Far Cry 4 is a little tempting, but given that the base price is $70 for Canada, 20% doesn't go far enough.

Lords of the Fallen, though... yeah, 60% off is good. Yeah, I'm taking that.

It's cheaper on GMG, but uPlay codes only if that matters. I have tried suggesting to Ubisoft reps on their forums that they sell Steam codes alongside uPlay ones with digital retailers, but who knows if they'll listen to me. Right now, there is no reason for Canadians to buy any new Ubisoft games on the Steam store unfortunately, hopefully the dollar rebounds soon and Ubi instead goes for a straight conversion rather than just setting it at $70.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It's cheaper on GMG, but uPlay codes only if that matters. I have tried suggesting to Ubisoft reps on their forums that they sell Steam codes alongside uPlay ones with digital retailers, but who knows if they'll listen to me.

Registry happenings back in January lead me to believe that Ubi was toying with the idea of selling Steam keys, but nothing ever eventuated; however, that Ubi later made a billion retail-specific subs for Watch Dogs could suggest things are just progressing very slowly. I spent a full month with Ubi Support trying to get a Steam key for the superseded Settlers 7 vanilla -- contingent upon first purchasing it on Uplay so it didn't seem as though I was trying to squeeze a free game out of them -- after mistakenly purchasing the DLC pack, thinking it was for the Gold Edition (required app id = 48120, which I misread as 48210, which, yep, is the app id for the GE), and ultimately got nowhere, so I hope this eventually becomes reality. To Ubi's credit, though, I was offered Uplay keys for the game and DLC pack, but I didn't accept them since I've no interest in actually playing the game.

Vibranium

Banned
Registry happenings back in January lead me to believe that Ubi was toying with the idea of selling Steam keys, but nothing ever eventuated; however, that Ubi later made a billion retail-specific subs for Watch Dogs could suggest things are just progressing very slowly. I spent a full month with Ubi Support trying to get a Steam key for the superseded Settlers 7 vanilla -- contingent upon first purchasing it on Uplay so it didn't seem as though I was trying to squeeze a free game out of them -- after accidentally purchasing the DLC pack, thinking it was for the Gold Edition (required app id = 48120, which I misread as 48210, which, yep, is the app id for the GE) and ultimately got nowhere, so I hope this eventually becomes reality. To Ubi's credit, though, I was offered Uplay keys for the game and DLC pack, but I didn't accept them since I've no interest in actually playing the game.

Heh, I think you already told me this a couple of months ago actually Jase, I remember. No problem hearing it again though! :p

Well, it's worth a shot trying to communicate to them I suppose.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Heh, I think you already told me this a couple of months ago actually Jase, I remember. No problem hearing it again though! :p

Well, it's worth a shot trying to communicate to them I suppose.

Yeah, I've mentioned it once or twice before.

Sch1sm

Merry Christmas. c:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Sch1sm, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Marlow Briggs -- MB-8569042A4E254B54 - Taken by Jables Swan. 6 entrants total.
Mark of the Ninja -- MB-1A2E8E67354DDD4C - Taken by famfrit. 3 entrants total.
Killing Floor (Guest Pass) -- MB-6EDDBDB6BE8DE7E2
Bully: Scholarship Edition -- MB-98522033725B9E4A - Taken by Elija2. 37 entrants total.

t1419463027z1.png

my damages from the steam sale sofar:

age of mythology ee
shadow warrior
lost planet ec
midnight club 2
prison architect
lili child of geos ce
metal gear rising
ms flight simulator x se.

not stopping any time soon.

bigzgod

Something interesting for you guys!

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (bigzgod, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.

Mark of the Ninja -- MB-6B24968AB0809FFC

t1419463326z1.png

ExoSoul

Banned
Honestly, I found that section much easier than the tree tops. I keep hearing people mention both as though they have comparable difficulty but it wasn't even close for me. Even if you use the chicken suit tree tops is still extremely difficult and requires great timing and control.
In my case I heard how Tule was so hard over and over (even getting the game close to release) and was disappointed, Sierra however wasn't even mentioned once and that one section where you have to goatclimb your way up in imaginary platforms was the hardest part of the game for me.

Jawmuncher

Also if Hyper Dimension Neptunia Producing Perfection comes to steam don't bother. Unless it's like 15 dollars. It's a pretty weak idol game and visual novel.

Dr. Oz(ium) has informed me that I'm incorrect about Hitomi having Down's Syndrome.
miss the two. ozi and shadow.
they had really unique characters.
Merry Christmas. c:
bully! thanks.
Also if Hyper Dimension Neptunia Producing Perfection comes to steam don't bother. Unless it's like 15 dollars. It's a pretty weak idol game and visual novel.
tbh i am not even sure if any neptunia game is actually good? when talk opens up, it's always echi stuff. is there anything worthwhile to those games?

Jawmuncher

miss the two. ozi and shadow.
they had really unique characters.

bully! thanks.

tbh i am not even sure if any neptunia game is actually good? when talk opens up, it's always echi stuff. is there anything worthwhile to those games?

Producing Perfection is the only one I have played. But I know a lot of people said the rebirth versions did a lot to make the games better. I will at least say the characters are fun and entertaining from PP.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Only have my phone right now sinds I'm stuck in the Airport (merry christmas and all): Whats the best price for Lords oft the Fallen?
Game seems cool enough to

Unicorn

Too funny. I made a similar reference in my GOTY list:

3g2ftGy.jpg

3. Car Mechanic Simulator 2014
Part of the Privileged 1% Club, CMS is a niche simulation title with actual gosh-darn production values, passion and polish. While not incredibly complex, the game is sophisticated in execution, offering a broad overview of vehicle systems and how they interact. There's a level of troubleshooting that makes the game feel puzzle-like in nature, along with the satisfaction that comes from intuiting the solutions. The game also sports the best one of the best original soundtracks I've ever heard in a simulation game.

Damn. This is probably the best new simulator franchise. I foresee a very interesting future for this. I wish it the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom