• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December II 2014 - A thread for people who don't like sale side posters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Axass

My impressions about Ittle Dew and Guacamelee; I wrote this for the 52 games 1 year challenge; speaking of Ittle Dew, get the latest Humble Bundle, it's worth it for that game alone:

Ittle Dew - 7,5/10 - 2:57 hours
Completed the game with sword and teleport rod only, using a huge shortcut, then went back to get th last item (ice wand), still have to get all the treasures and secrets. What Zelda would be if stripped away of his story, NPCs and exploration: dungeon after dungeon after dungeon; even the rare patches of overworld are littered with caves that are basically one room dungeons. The game, being a simple Zelda clone, managed to impress me: the puzzles are much harder than the usual Zelda stuff and really force you to think out of the box, especially those that grant access to the shortcuts. That's the best part of the game: you can really choose your own route, forgoing items and entire dungeons to reach the end quicker by taking a harder path. That's where the game shines (incredible artstyle and animation aside), there's an actual achievement to finish the game in under 15 minutes; the game could take around 3 hours if you take your time, more to get every collectible, but the great thing is to replay it and experiment with the shortcuts.

Guacamelee! Gold Edition [with gf] - 8/10 - around 10 hours
We've beaten Calaca at normal difficulty, and found 70% of the stuff the game has to offer (we'll surely be back for the rest). Amazing artstyle and flair, catchy music, challenging platforming, great combat, full of secret rooms: it's a nice beat 'em up with metroidvania vibes, even though the exploration is not as complex as the masterpieces of the genre. The story is nice but nothing to write home about, in fact the cutscenes are oft too long and you just wish you could smash something instead. The enemies aren't too varied and the game's not that long, however you never bore: the power ups are all great to use and all add something cool to the combat and exploration, none of them feel as an afterthought, the combat itself never tires and is well balanced with the exploration and platforming.

The Playstation versions (PS3, 4, Vita) of Don't Starve have trophies, but the Steam version of the game doesn't have achievements. That's the root of the issue.

No, that's not the root of the issue.
That's a SYMPTOM.

The root of the issue is that Klei takes advantage of anything it can to make money, even when it means compromising on their "artistic" vision, and then continues to exploit their core fanbase for more money wherever they possibly can.

Don't Starve was put into EA. People bought it. Don't Starve got some indie cred. Fans asked about achievements for Steam. Klei says, and I'm paraphrasing here, "No. It ruins the way people play games. We're not adding them." Sony approached them, offered them truckloads of cash. Klei took the money, compromised their creative design for Don't Starve, and put out PSN versions of the game with the required trophies to be on Sony's platforms. Telling PC customers who bought your game in Early Access and said "we'd like achievements in this game, please." no because of your "creative/artistic vision" and then not taking the time to patch those in to the PC version where the original customers who are at least partially responsible for the success of Don't Starve and probably responsible for Sony's approach to get lost (still!) after you already caved elsewhere? That's morally fucked up.

Klei also told people to get lost when people asked for multiplayer and co-op in Don't Starve, because it didn't fit their vision... but now that they realized they can put a "new" version of Don't Starve out, list it at $20, give existing owners the "privilege" of 75% discount to pay to Beta test it for them and cover their "fans" by offering it "free once done" and giving out a few beta keys for free? Yeah, guess what, there's multiplayer and co-op coming to Don't Starve.

At this rate, if they found a way to make "Don't Starve Achievement Edition" and charge for it without being crucified, they'd put it out in early access tomorrow.

And Invisible, Inc. is no different. Before it even came to Steam as EA, people were asking about controller support and achievements... so much, in fact, that they added it to the FAQ. And their response in the FAQ was full of that typical smug Klei douchebaggery people seem to love for some reason.

Will Invisible, Inc. support Steam Achievements?
More than likely, we aren't opposed to achievements in Invisible, Inc., however we don’t have any solid plans on those yet.

Will there be multiplayer coming for Invisible-inc?
We have no plans for multiplayer at this time.

What about controller support?
Maybe, It’s not something we’re concentrating on right now, but if we really identify a need for it, we would consider it.

Note the bold. This is obviously a reference to how they were opposed to achievements in Don't Starve.

Don't get me wrong -- Mark of the Ninja was FANTASTIC. And based on what I've seen of Invisible, Inc. I think it has potential to be great as well. I just really don't like Klei as a business and don't think they deserve to profit from acts of pure douchebaggery.

What are your concerns with them? I loved mark of the ninja but could not get into their survival game (totally drawing a blank on the name). Is it early access issues that bug you?

Early Access games are fine, if the developer really is using it as a venue for getting valuable feedback and changing the game for the better. Crypt of the Necrodancer is bloody fantastic.
It's more of an issue with exploiting your fanbase and going against your word and principles for the almighty dollar... and then pretending you never did that when people ask you about doing it again.

"Oh, well, we made a bunch of bullshit trophies and added a silly item that makes fun of trophies/achievements... so it's okay".
No. There are people out there who put 10s or 100s of hours into your game. And you taunt them, if they really wanted achievements, by creating new content for the game and adding achievements that reference them? Just... no.

There were tons of ways that Klei could've dealt with the Don't Starve multiplayer/achievement concerns/requests.
And they pretty much picked the worst way they could possibly handle it.

For the record, I own Don't Starve (though had I known about their "stance" on achievements, I probably wouldn't have grabbed it when I did) and was given it free for PS4/PSVita as well thanks to my PS+ sub.
If it were about trophies or achievements, I would just drop it because I could go play the game on those other platforms and have the most up to date and complete content-wise version. But it's not.
It's about the compromise of principles and artistic vision for money. About Klei doing whatever will make them the most money, regardless of their customer base and general principles of fairness.

Tizoc

Is there a way to buy a 2-pack of a game I already own? I want to make giveaways of Metal Slug X and 3 should they go on sale and offer a copy of each to my friend as well.

Khronico

I finished the first level in Deus Ex HR DC. Weird glitch happened where the final sequence of dialogue with Zeke and the hostage lady's mouth was moving in sync with both Jensen's and Zeke's dialogue. It creeped me out a bit.

Also for some reason I didn't get the ghost bonus at the end even though I was never spotted (another glitch?). I'll probably shelf it for now but I do like the DC version so far. The commentary is quite interesting.

Shadowrun Dragonfall: DC, STFU...Probably the most deals I spent during this Steam sale in one day.

This calls for a giveaway...the best giveaway I've done during this sale. Can't wait to see who wins because by the time is over, I'll be buzzed enough.

ModBot said:
Instructions for ramoisdead:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 9 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=955066.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (ramoisdead, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker--if you have both fewer than five posts in this thread--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Sonic Generations -- MB-8407DC0744A409A4 - Taken by Blak_Status. 15 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Spec Ops: The Line -- MB-1F30FE8AE0E271E4 - Taken by Kuroyume. 15 entrants total.
Contagion -- MB-645F32469FD9D194 - Taken by dot. 14 entrants total.
Pinball FX2: Balance of the Force pack -- MB-DC3A043F894919FF - Taken by Supaidaman. 4 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
XCOM: Enemy Unknown -- MB-1689E5A2DA80F14A - Taken by Gez. 12 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion -- MB-75D0B1243D5928BE - Taken by Unicorn. 28 entrants total.
Toybox Turbos -- MB-EFFE6078C0214906 - Taken by Widdly Scuds. 35 entrants total.
Euro Truck Simulator 2 -- MB-5109F19BCC513E65 - Taken by tioslash. 15 entrants total.
Gauntlet -- MB-C8DDFA1A46C6490F - Taken by iosefe. 69 entrants total.

t1419798448z1.png

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Hey, a friend told me that it was confirmed that Half Life 3 has been canceled or something. I'm surprised no on in here is talking about it.

Kagemusha

What is the difference between Blood Bowl Games? Chaos Edition is newer, has better reviews, and is $2 more. Any reason to get the Legendary version?

brassica

Bought Alan Wake, which is my 60th game so far, and my account is less than a week old...
Well, I don't think I spent more than the full price of one AAA at launch, so it should be ok.

Also, I bought the three Bioshock games from GamersGate, but turns out the first one's key isn't a Steam one.
Do you think I could get an exchange for a Steam key from 2K? I don't want to mix my games and I would rather prefer them all in one place.

Majukun

not much of a discount of shovel knight..but enough to make me press the button

now i don't have steam wallet founds anymore :(

Tellaerin

Whatever they said was close enough to be construed as "Shovel Knight will not receive a discount during the Steam Sale" by the majority of the SteamGAF community.

Yes. At best, this was deliberately misleading:

Hey all. There are no plans quite yet for Shovel Knight to make a discounted appearance during this holiday season. The team here continues to be 100% focused on providing free update content for the game with our goal being that we can maximize your proverbial "bang for you buck" by making the game that much better.

Somebody could argue on a technicality with that "quite yet", which is exactly how it comes across - phrased to mislead, with that "quite yet" thrown in as an escape clause if people tried to call them on it later.

dani_dc

Reposting from sales thread:

Giveaway Hanako Games Edition:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (dani_dc, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Magical Diary -- MB-506D2527494198FE - Taken by SeZMehK. 11 entrants total.
Long Live The Queen -- MB-CC31EA5E272BB79B - Taken by Gez. 32 entrants total.

t1419724941z1.png

Nzyme32

I just noticed, Steam beat it's record concurrent users again today, reaching 8.15 million. Not sure if that is actually a record or if I missed the past few days. Usual holiday gaming I guess

Nose Master

1001 Spikes crashes on launch on my machine :(. Googling it, it seems like the PC version is fairly janky and gets recognized as a virus on some machines. Doesn't seem to be the problem on mine, though...

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Ya'll suck but I love you anyways.
ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Bayonetta, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- Only GAF members who are NOT junior members are eligible for this giveaway.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Abyss Odyssey -- MB-795AED3E80EDAF3D - Taken by Divius. 16 entrants total.

t1419715763z1.png

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Wow, I just realized that if the sale thread doesn't count, I'm a lurker. This is my second post in this thread and I have none in the first thread for December. Sorry guys, the getting Wii U + working retail combo made me disappear.

Anteater

Wow, I just realized that if the sale thread doesn't count, I'm a lurker. This is my second post in this thread and I have none in the first thread for December. Sorry guys, the getting Wii U + working retail combo made me disappear.

2 posts? you're now on my shitlist dice kun

You must be on Chariot's list.

Anustart

This Toy Story 3 game is ridiculous. To unlock anything, you seemingly have to do god knows what. Collect every thing in the entire game, which is way too hard for a child anyway.

Mr. Doop

This Toy Story 3 game is ridiculous. To unlock anything, you seemingly have to do god knows what. Collect every thing in the entire game, which is way too hard for a child anyway.

Isn't the Toy Story 3 game the one with the sandbox mode a few people were raving about?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom