• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December II 2014 - A thread for people who don't like sale side posters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

There's some fun to be had in the game just as long as you can overlook that prick of a protagonist. It's also very pretty, and sometimes breathtakingly so.

well, I kinda like Rufus, which Turf would kill on the spot, so I think I can handle Aiden just fine.
I even like idea of this game, I'm just afraid of
UbiAssgameplay
, very afraid (><)

Eh, there's some games Ubi never drops below a certain point, usually the big tentpole ones that people actually like.

but I thought mostly people don't like Watch Doggs with some noticeable exceptions among steamgaf

Classy? There's fire, lasers, and dragons everywhere. There are also guitarists shredding in the air.

that sounds highly entertaining!

Parsnip

So... I'm sitting around SL 63 or so in Dark Souls.

Do I:
(1) Pay a visit to the Dragon Shrine (haven't gone down there yet)
(2) Say "hello" to my old pal Seath in the library
(3) Teach the four+ kings how to really inspire fear and loathing
(4) Say fuck it and go deal with the DLC content.

Odds are if I do #4 before 1, 2, and/or 3, I will not do 1, 2, and/or 3 as my main reason for playing this was to get to the DLC since I've never played through it.

I don't know how my soul level compares, but on my ongoing Steamworks run I did the lord souls in order of Nito, 4 Kings, Chaos. Currently at the archives, heading to crystal caverns, and then DLC. Actually I did poke my head into the DLC ad beat the first boss there, but then decided to leave it for later.

aScaris

So, I just finished Shadowrun: Returns and my god.. This game was great! While the gameplay was kinda lacking and the story was split into two seperate parts, it was one of the most memorable experiences in my recent gaming memory. Characters are great and the overall atmosphere really caught me, all without voice acting, pretty animations or fancy 3D graphics. I don't know when I last said that about a game :D Just bought Shadowrun: Dragonfall and I really hope it keeps up this oldschool approach to RPGs :)

dani_dc

... I just tried an Hatoful Boyfriend key to see if it was working (I own the game) and the key said it activated.

Why did this happen.

dex3108

Aaaaand first snow for this winter is here at my place :D Now i need to find some winter games in my backlog to play them in right atmosphere :D

Turfster

but I thought mostly people don't like Watch Doggs with some noticeable exceptions among steamgaf
Sadly, a lot of people like it because it's k3w1 and rad and shooty.

So, I just finished Shadowrun: Returns and my god.. This game was great! While the gameplay was kinda lacking and the story was split into two seperate parts, it was one of the most memorable experiences in my recent gaming memory. Characters are great and the overall atmosphere really caught me, all without voice acting, pretty animations or fancy 3D graphics. I don't know when I last said that about a game :D Just bought Shadowrun: Dragonfall and I really hope it keeps up this oldschool approach to RPGs :)

Dragonfall is better, you're in for a treat.

MRORANGE

Jesus Christ this flu I have from Christmas day has just reached it's peak it's amazingly bad, just feel really cold and weak right now, played some TF2 which took my mind off it for a while, even downloaded several games but my joints are really painful.

Farwell SteamGAF, this might be the end.

Jesus Christ this flu I have from Christmas day has just reached it's peak it's amazingly bad, just feel really cold and weak right now, played some TF2 which took my mind off it for a while, even downloaded several games but my joints are really painful.

Get well soon, man. Preferably by the New Year so you can make the new thread.

You know, in general I very much side with Artistic Vision (tm) over Money Grubbing (tm) so would normally side with you. However, sometimes you can have multiple ideals at odds with one another.
For example, consider:
1) We don't like what achievments/trophies do to gaming
(i agree with this, actually)
2) We want as many people to play our fantastic game
(i agree with this too).

So if the game was always going to be a PC game, and so they stuck to 1), but then realized when Sony came to them that it made sense to get it on more platforms (satisfying 2, even if breaking 1), I don't actually think it's the worst thing in the world that they capitulated to the trophy policy.

I mean, whatever? I don't see why getting upset about it matters, we're talking about achievements here, to which I actually agree that they hurt gaming... especially avoiding/boycotting a game over them.

You cannot sell out for money and exposure, compromising your ideals -- and then when people ask you about bringing the additional content back to the PC version that started it all cite your "achievements changed the way people played the game and we don't like that" policy. It's called hypocrisy and it's total and utter bullshit.

And where you think achievements hurt games, I think achievements help games. A game must be extremely compelling and a near perfect masterpiece to hook me and make me play from start to finish without achievements these days. The Witcher, for example, has no achievements, but I like the world/combat/story enough that I saw it through from beginning to end. On the other hand, Nintendo is extremely slow in adopting some sort of trophy/achievement system and has not done so yet (they will someday, I believe, which people will applaud and say "better late than never" and such. I thought I could get by this (among other things) when I grabbed a 3DS XL. I was wrong... and it's one of the reasons I'm not running out to buy a WiiU (there are bigger reasons, but this isn't some inconsequential issue for me [or, by extension, gamers like me]).

Some people just don't get the bolded, but to me it's plain as day.

It's like someone in the public eye, who is supposed to be of high moral standing, who condemns adultery and cites the bible and such but is then found out to be cheating on their spouse with one or more mistresses.
You can NOT have your cake and eat it too.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Well the one I owned was the DDE, the one I tried was standard. Didn't even think about the different version.

Actually, looking into it, it seems there are no DLC apps for the game, just different depots. Are you absolutely sure you owned the game before using the key? It's impossible to activate a key tied to a sub that only includes apps you already have (depots don't count).

rookiejet

Nothing like browsing Steam and NeoGAF during intermissions at the Trans-Siberian Orchestra concert.

So jealous. Enjoy, Rayge! Also we should play some FGs when you get back, it's been a while.

I feel your pain. I am just recovering from the worst flu I've had in years (seriously, it was feverish and hallucinating bad). Hang in there. And make sure to drink your fluids so your head doesn't feel like exploding.

Cerity

Been waiting on The Long Dark for a while so I picked it up and had my first session of it. There's a lot of nice details here, eg. I saw a few birds circling overhead, I went to check that out and found a some guys corpse and a frozen deer. Another one was that I was in a hut and thought that hearing the wind was just some background sounds or whatever but you can use to tell the condition on the outside.

I died after 1 day and 15 minutes, I went to gather wood and didn't think my condition would go from 40% to nothing in 2 hours of gathering, I went away to make myself a coffee and came back dead :(

Very cool what they've got in so far, going to try again and see where I get.

if my heart had wings is certainly an interesting game

http://s10.postimg.org/4q0c4etc9/2014_12_27_00001.jpg

Y'know, try as I might, I cannot figure out hateful bf. The tone is all wrong for me... it comes off as trying to be serious in some sort of surreal absurdity, but the humour, if that's what it's supposed to be, just doesn't connect for me.

The artwork alone in the image you posted is pleasing to me and makes me wonder about If My Hear Had Wings...

Arkham City works quite well in this situation :D

But Arkham Origins has actual snow. ;)

Asgaro

Now...

Hear me out, guys...

If - if someone just copy/pasted the Half Life 2 script here.
You know... to commemorate the fact Half Life 2 became 10 a while ago.

Just, as a beautiful memory and in honor of the creators of Steam.

Please don't run away guys... Guys?

:'(

Now...

Hear me out, guys...

Just as a beautiful memory and in honor of the creators of Steam.

Only if it's spoiler tagged. I don't want the game spoiled for me.

dani_dc

Hope you feel better soon.

Actually, looking into it, it seems there are no DLC apps for the game, just different depots. Are you absolutely sure you owned the game before using the key? It's impossible to activate a key tied to a sub that only includes apps you already have (depots don't count).

Pretty sure:

QQtMnXh.png

That plus I played it for a few hours.

And today:

6OfYpfu.png

guys, conspiracy run in Hatoful Boyfriend is hilarious

You aren't helping, I plan to $5 it, the current price is just not reasonable and goes against my plans.
it's only game I was contemplating getting today, I blame Dr.Doggie and YOU!

edited: jeez, what's with spam today, this page sucks

I check the new dailies on my phone while still half asleep and Watch dogs looked like $17.47 and I thought, wow, finally down to a reasonable price.

Then at my pc I opened up the store page and saw the reality, $37.47 the Australians have to be tough to handle the harsh conditions over here.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Since a fellow GAFfer who probably hates me a lot has just gifted me a copy of Hatoful Boyfriend, I think it's only fair that I give it a try. I'm not sure if it'll make me hate my life or just video games, but whatever. My feathers are ready.

Locust

Depots do count.

e: Dunno if it's always been like that, haven't really compared depots before I had it happen to me with Home in humble bundle :v

madjoki

Depods do count, I have activated multiple keys where only depots differ. It only gave me access to some new languages that I'll never use.

JaseC

Depots do count.

Ah, right. Has that always been the case? I recall someone here having trouble with either TWD S02 or The Wolf Among Us because they had a press key for a specific episode and couldn't get the full "season" without first having the existing sub removed.

Edit: Actually, the more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to believe the issue was store-related and not key-related.

Cerity

lqVaxZa.png

whelp, this lass had no luck. After that last failed attempt to start a fire, there was no more tinder and if I went to gather some more I would have died anyway.

JaseC

lqVaxZa.png

whelp, this lass had no luck. After that last failed attempt to start a fire, there was no more tinder and if I went to gather some more I would have died anyway.

Remind me to never get lost in the wilderness with you. ;)

OMG an amazing GAFer has offered me my choice of Shovel Knight or Super Time Ultra Force as a gift! My gut says Shovel Knight but my brain says "research this son, then decide"...

Stoked!

dani_dc

Depots do count.

How annoying, I'll have to keep that in mind in the future. Guess I'll just send keys and ask people to try it and their own risk (bit annoying to say that when giving a gift but ah well).

Since a fellow GAFfer who probably hates me a lot has just gifted me a copy of Hatoful Boyfriend, I think it's only fair that I give it a try. I'm not sure if it'll make me hate my life or just video games, but whatever. My feathers are ready.

I'll be curious to see some pics and impressions from you. You clearly like foxmermaids, so pidgeons should be right up your alley.

Tizoc

OMG an amazing GAFer has offered me my choice of Shovel Knight or Super Time Ultra Force as a gift! My gut says Shovel Knight but my brain says "research this son, then decide"...

Stoked!

Shovel Knight is likely to be easier to get into that STFU.

Jadax

Is DA:I really that good? I'm a sucker for rpg games that really immerse you in the story, and since I have about 3 weeks left of my xmas break I wanted to try out something.

Should I get DA:I or Shadow of Mordor? Or any other recommendation?

JaseC

Stoked!

Shovel Knight. STFU is already 66% off so you can just pick it up on the cheap when it goes on sale again in the future.

Shovel Knight is likely to be easier to get into that STFU.

Shovel Knight. STFU is already 66% off so you can just pick it up on the cheap when it goes on sale again in the future.

Thanks for the input. But the more I learn about STFU the more I'm interested in it (Time Travel? Single-Player Co-Op? It's like the game was made for me)

I also have the choice of Shadow of Mordor, but fuck that :p

Now...

Hear me out, guys...

Just, as a beautiful memory and in honor of the creators of Steam.

Thanks for the input. But the more I learn about STFU the more I'm interested in it (Time Travel? Single-Player Co-Op? It's like the game was made for me)

I also have the choice of Shadow of Mordor, but fuck that :p

Shovel Knight.
The more I looked into STFU, I thought it was going to be awesome... but it never clicked for me. I played the opening area... and did a few of the challenges and I never went back. Maybe I will someday, and maybe then it will click. But if you've got any sort of soft spot for NES style 2D platformer adventures, the answer is easily Shovel Knight.

Oh wait... that one guy wanted to know if Shovel Knight was worth it... have to maintain the shtick...

FUCK SHOVELKNIGHT... PIECE OF SHIT WITH SHADY LYING COLLUSION DEVS. I WOULDN'T WIPE MY ASS WITH IT.

Shovel Knight.
The more I looked into STFU, I thought it was going to be awesome... but it never clicked for me. I played the opening area... and did a few of the challenges and I never went back. Maybe I will someday, and maybe then it will click. But if you've got any sort of soft spot for NES style 2D platformer adventures, the answer is easily Shovel Knight.

Oh wait... that one guy wanted to know if Shovel Knight was worth it... have to maintain the shtick...

FUCK SHOVELKNIGHT... PIECE OF SHIT WITH SHADY LYING COLLUSION DEVS. I WOULDN'T WIPE MY ASS WITH IT.

I do have a huge soft spot for NES era games, and what's worrying me about STFU is difficulty. I'm usually terrible with difficult games (one review likened it to Braid, which I found too difficult after a while, but still adore it from a distance)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom