• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December II 2014 - A thread for people who don't like sale side posters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Started a new sandbox, got dropped into the game at 9pm, in the middle of a blizzard next to a pack of wolves. 0/10.
Part of the reason I hate seeing "generated" anything as a positive. It is only a positive to the handful of obsessives who play hundreds or thousands of hours and would get bored. Everyone else just gets something worse than a handcrafted experience.

ExoSoul

Banned
I'm sorry if this was already mentioned but is there any problem if Idlemaster starts working on a VAC game? (the gamem is not running)

Steam Idle Master 0.7 has been released. This version has been rewritten in C# and runs on Microsoft Windows. You can obtain this new version directly from the new Idle Master website at www.steamidlemaster.com.

This new version includes a lot of new features including the ability to pause / resume idling, skip the current idling game, and to minimize the application to the system tray. It also includes a drastically simplified setup procedure (no more messing with browser cookies and text files). Additionally, once installed Idle Master will periodically check to make sure you're running the latest version.

The source code for this version is available on Github, along with the non-Windows Python applications which are no longer being developed. Because of the shift in programming languages, there may be bugs. I'm happy to assist in any way I can.

Badass. Thanks once again, sir, fine work as always.

Question: I currently have both Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 installed on the same PC (I'm keeping the former until I'm confident that I've migrated everything I need and re-installed all my apps)... My Steam games were installed in Windows 8.1, can I add that folder as a content library to my Steam in Windows 7, so that I can quickly launch a game when I occasionally boot into the old OS, or will it create any conflicts?

I guess it's a similar situation if someone had multiple PCs at home and wanted to have games installed on a shared network drive so they wouldn't need to be downloaded and installed on each PC (don't know of that's possible).

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm sorry if this was already mentioned but is there any problem if Idlemaster starts working on a VAC game? (the gamem is not running)

Idle Master should be able to idle VAC-enabled games just fine. For example, if have card drops remaining in CS:GO it's perfectly alright to use Idle Master to obtain those cards. Where you want to be careful is if Idle Master is running at the same time that you launch a VAC enabled game and join a VAC enabled server. While nobody I'm aware of has been VAC banned for using Idle Master, this is the only conceivable way Valve could detect that it's running and punish you for using it (if they wanted to)

Same here.
Thanks jshackles, this is awesome!

Thanks! I'll try to track down the issue with it loading the sign-in data. Obviously it's got the correct info it just doesn't think it does.

Coreda

The application itself is portable though the distribution method I chose makes that a little bit difficult. If you launch Idle Master you can look in the task manager -> processes section. Right click IdleMaster.exe and select "Open File Location". Next, simply copy all of the files in that folder to your portable device and it should run fine from any Windows PC that has the .NET Framework and Steam installed.

Hmm, copied the directory as you outlined, and ran it sandboxed under Sandboxie to check if it created any directories outside, and it appears to save the UI settings to:

Code:
...\user\current\AppData\Local\IdleMaster\IdleMaster.exe_Url_14cz0f1fxhsamsgs2rnfircvchnxipe3\1.0.0.0\user.config

Is there a way to set it to check the root directory to see if user.config is present? If it's too much of a hassle don't worry, it's pretty awesome as it is :)

Cerity

Part of the reason I hate seeing "generated" anything as a positive. It is only a positive to the handful of obsessives who play hundreds or thousands of hours and would get bored. Everyone else just gets something worse than a handcrafted experience.

To be fair I survived that, it's just annoying as it meant a day and a half of trying to recover and time is pretty important when you're just starting out. I was running around on 7% hp trying to get food and firewood, which was challenging. I've got a can opener now though.

1. Is there a non dodgy online retailer that will sell me UK Steam Wallet Funds at a keen price?
  2. If I tell the Steam Client to hide a game in my library, how do I get it to de-hide it if I decide I wish to see it in there at a later date?
vvvv Thanks Yakkue :). Nice and simple. I like.

Steam Idle Master 0.7 has been released. This version has been rewritten in C# and runs on Microsoft Windows.

Sweet! :) Time to install this and pop my Idle Master virginity!

Or something that doesn't sound creepy.

¬_¬

Although this is SteamGAF so....

Yakkue

2. If I tell the Steam Client to hide a game in my library, how do I get it to de-hide it if I decide I wish to see it in there at a later date?

Click on "Games" next to the search bar (in library view), a drop-down menu should open, where you can click on "Hidden" to show your hidden games :)

dex3108

Good morning SteamGAF :D Beautiful morning here and i hope that Steam deals will be beautiful too today :D

P.S. Lea says hi :D

DnVQfqtzFzuFoVm9nL3PZ2QnUd5I3cL5laDJB849nKg=w1253-h927-no

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
idle master just stuck on "idle master saving your information"

well ok then. Also not a big fan of having to sign in with steam info now, honestly if it wasnt shack's I wouldnt use it like this

hell I shouldnt use it anyway, this is probably the longest con ever and now shack has all our information amg!

well ok then. Also not a big fan of having to sign in with steam info now, honestly if it wasnt shack's I wouldnt use it like this

hell I shouldnt use it anyway, this is probably the longest con ever and now shack has all our information amg!
Old version works fine for me, not gonna upgrade since I don't like anything that requires steam user and password, I trust shackles but still better safe than sorry.

jshackles gonna sell my profile in 3...2...1... =[

=P

Copons

Steam Idle Master 0.7 has been released. This version has been rewritten in C# and runs on Microsoft Windows. You can obtain this new version directly from the new Idle Master website at www.steamidlemaster.com.

This new version includes a lot of new features including the ability to pause / resume idling, skip the current idling game, and to minimize the application to the system tray. It also includes a drastically simplified setup procedure (no more messing with browser cookies and text files). Additionally, once installed Idle Master will periodically check to make sure you're running the latest version.

The source code for this version is available on Github, along with the non-Windows Python applications which are no longer being developed. Because of the shift in programming languages, there may be bugs. I'm happy to assist in any way I can.

J, you could change the downloadable file name or zip it or something, because I think this warning in Chrome 39...

s6VdurY.png

...could scare away most people.

xBladeM6x

GAF, how is "The Long Dark?" I want to get the game, and the reviews say it's cool, but I figured I'd ask you guys since I trust your opinions more.

Coreda

Old version works fine for me, not gonna upgrade since I don't like anything that requires steam user and password, I trust shackles but still better safe than sorry.

From the looks of it IdleMaster.exe.config is where the data is stored. You could paste in the data like before. Haven't tried it yet.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
nope, not working, back to the old version for me.

Phinor

I am getting logged out of Steam almost every time I change the page in the web browser using enhanced Steam. Common issue?

I've been experiencing this as well, didn't think too much of it. But then official government sites started giving error messages during re-directs and I looked into it. Do you by any chance have Hola extension installed? Because that was the cause of all the issues I've had these past few days with Chrome. I wonder what happened there, Hola is doing something nasty.

Cerity

GAF, how is "The Long Dark?" I want to get the game, and the reviews say it's cool, but I figured I'd ask you guys since I trust your opinions more.

I picked it up earlier today and have played about 3 hours according to steam.

Exploration is top notch, finding new places, experiencing different weather etc. is done extremely well. You hear of stories of people getting stranded and such in a blizzard and it always ends with if they'd have waited an extra day or walked a mile to the left etc they'd have survived. The game manages to show you this extremely well, in one of my earlier games I got stuck in a blizzard after fishing in a hut, tried to get back to the camp office but couldn't see jack. I ended up taking the wrong turn and froze to death.

The survival aspect of it is still... lacking, not much to craft and there isn't much you can do after you've scoured the map outside of just trying to stay alive. The only weapon avaliable is the hunting rifle and you've got to scavenge ammo for it, so staying alive is even harder after that. At least it looks like they'll be adding in Bow & Arrows in soon.

On top of the typical heat/food/water deal you also have to deal with wolves, which right now is a bit disappointing. The mechanics are a bit hit and miss with them sadly and the wolves themselves don't have any real personality yet, they move in packs but don't show any of the behaviour that you'd expect from them being in a pack. I feel there's currently a bit too many wandering around as well.

There are a lot of great details though, ravens circle around overhead when there is a corpse, there is a freezing meter on corpses, you can tell the weather outside by listening to the wind inside a cabin/house. Another great thing is how you can track animals you've shot/hurt, they leave a blood trail but it isn't obvious at all in the snow, here I shot a wolf, you pretty much don't see it unless you're on top of it.

tl;dr: Expect the Early access-ness of it, it's got a very, very solid base to it but that's all at the moment. I'd wait for it to get out of EA unless you're keen on playing something like it right now. Personally I'm shelving it until it gets out of EA alongside The Forest, unless I'm feeling the itch of course.

Ban Puncher

Who was that celebrity that was talking about taking legal action against Apple because he could not leave his iTunes library to his children in a will? I only thought of it the other day because I was all "Man, what happens to my Steam account when I shuffle off this mortal coil? Can I leave it to someone like all my SNES tapes?".

Who was that celebrity that was talking about taking legal action against Apple because he could not leave his iTunes library to his children in a will? I only thought of it the other day because I was all "Man, what happens to my Steam account when I shuffle off this mortal coil? Can I leave it to someone like all my SNES tapes?".

Bruce Willis

Echoplx

I'm no expert but theoretically jshackles could already hijack your account with the data you have to provide in the old version anyway right? Not sure why you have a problem with the new method.

abracadaver

I regret using idle master. All these idled games now show up as played for 2 hours in my profile even though I never touched them. Kills the achievemt completition percentage as well as far as I know. Just to get a few bucks of card money? Never again

Ruruja

Mystery Game #4 -- MB-F07557A17C0CCD3F - Taken by Ruruja. 5 entrants total.

e11ec994e4.gif

Picking my favourite number always works.

thanks Bayonetta you beautiful bastard

I regret using idle master. All these idled games now show up as played for 2 hours in my profile even though I never touched them. Kills the achievemt completition percentage as well as far as I know. Just to get a few bucks of card money? Never again

Ignore a few bucks in Steam money for a useless number buried in my profile? Never again.

e11ec994e4.gif

thanks Bayonetta you beautiful bastard

I knew it! I called 4 almost right away, it just had to be.

yuraya

You could always..you know..play them?

Its not that hard. After you idle them..launch them couple months later and see what they are about.

:p

Echoplx

$$$$$$ > e-peen

rickyson1

WinGameStore has Europa Universalis IV Art of War 50% off

bleh I missed it back to full price now

ah well

it's considerably more than a few bucks if you have enough games

i've made like $50 using idle master and haven't even used it for a while now so I got like 60 new games I could use it on

Maniac

Banned
Thanks for the input. But the more I learn about STFU the more I'm interested in it (Time Travel? Single-Player Co-Op? It's like the game was made for me)

I also have the choice of Shadow of Mordor, but fuck that :p

Something must be wrong with you.

Mordor is excellent. Shovel Knight is beautiful and great. STFU is... Decent

The chat in here about The Long Dark made me curious so I checked the Store page for it:

Hm, that sounds like my sort of thing.

*watches video*

*player character talks to herself telling the player what to do*
I wouldn't know about Jennifer Hale // The female PC, but playing the male (David Hayter, ho!) I've yet to hear him say 'I need to find somewhere warm hurr', he's said "I hope noone needs this" about a hundred times though. But you can indeed lower or mute voice volume if you want. Either way, the game is a very pure survival sim thus far, and it's actually really entertaining. Surprisingly entertaining!
lqVaxZa.png

whelp, this lass had no luck. After that last failed attempt to start a fire, there was no more tinder and if I went to gather some more I would have died anyway.

I've nearly survived a month in-game. However this was day 28;

qvF5VpR.png

But hey, I survived through all that! Atleast for now. I'm just hoping I'll reach day 30 and get the cheevo.

itUGmUq.png

autoduelist

To be fair I survived that, it's just annoying as it meant a day and a half of trying to recover and time is pretty important when you're just starting out. I was running around on 7% hp trying to get food and firewood, which was challenging. I've got a can opener now though.

One of the most beautiful things about such games is surviving those types of situations. I've sat staring at 'any key I hit will likely result in death' situations countless times, figuring out my best odds of survival... will one more hit kill that minotaur? should I use my last teleport potion?

Crafted games are generally hand crafted to be 'winnable' by the majority of players with brute force. That's the beauty of permadeath and generated dungeons, countless problems to solve and you've only got one shot to do it -- if you die you die. I didn't want to waste that stupid teleport potion, so I took that swing, missed, and got eaten for dinner. My fault, I should have been less stingy with my potions, lesson learned for next time. Restart and... holy crap, I found a +2 sword in the first room! Hell yeah! Those ebbs and flows make the genre amazing.

That's the main reason why I still think I don't want to use it. I like my displayed play time to be accurate, always did.

4 has always been my favorite number *high five* and congrats on the win.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I like how it puts some hours on all my games. Makes me look like less of a backlog-growing lunatic.
(while getting me gabens to grow my backlog)

P.S. I suggest we hijack the ₲ symbol to stand for gabens a.k.a. steambucks. Unless you think Ǥ is better.

redlacs

I regret using idle master. ... Kills the achievemt completition percentage as well as far as I know.

percentage is only affected by games where you unlocked at least one achievement. there are some cases where that happens just by launching the game though, such as Universe sanbox or Garry's mod.
next are Pixeljunk Monsters & Shooter, where it unlocks if youre unlucky enough to idle it exactly when the clock shows 11:11

im not sure if that can even happen with idlemaster as it doesnt actualy run the game. some games also have "play for 1+ hour" achievement, which never unlocked for me when i used the ol' appid trick to idle the cards manually, so idlemaster should be ok too

I wouldn't know about Jennifer Hale // The female PC, but playing the male (David Hayter, ho!) I've yet to hear him say 'I need to find somewhere warm hurr', he's said "I hope noone needs this" about a hundred times though. But you can indeed lower or mute voice volume if you want. Either way, the game is a very pure survival sim thus far, and it's actually really entertaining. Surprisingly entertaining!

That is encouraging! Thanks Maniac :). I might just have to treat myself to this! :D

Something must be wrong with you.

Mordor is excellent. Shovel Knight is beautiful and great. STFU is... Decent

I went with beautiful. I don't think that justifies assuming there is something wrong with me (not saying there couldn't be or there isn't; I think there's something wrong with most everyone, and I'm no exception).

I'm more interested in indie games than AAA right now. I used to be a fan of LotR when the movies came out but I quickly got "burned out" on the whole medieval/fantasy setting (which witnessed a huge boom in all forms of media post LotR movies) and I haven't recovered since.

Edit: it's funny I just realized that Shovel Knight could arguably be considered to have a "medieval fantasy" setting which I just professed to not liking, but I think the retro nature and art makes it a non issue for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom