• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December II 2014 - A thread for people who don't like sale side posters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maniac

Banned
One of the most beautiful things about such games is surviving those types of situations. I've sat staring at 'any key I hit will likely result in death' situations countless times, figuring out my best odds of survival... will one more hit kill that minotaur? should I use my last teleport potion?

Yeah, I know that feeling with TLD. I was at 2% HP at one point, and I was for a long time - I was stranded in the middle of a blizzard, at night, sitting in a tiny Icefishing-shack, and it didn't even have a door! If I hadn't had a good amount of firewood and the shack hadn't had a wood-stove, I would've frozen to death. And without a fishing hook n' line, I would've starved whilst waiting out the blizzard.

Worse yet was hearing the wolves outside howling, trying to track me via the blood trail I'd left behind, luckily the one that tried froze to death :3

... I ended up eating it. 'Twas a bit stringy.
I went with beautiful. I don't think that justifies assuming there is something wrong with me (not saying there couldn't be or there isn't; I think there's something wrong with most everyone, and I'm no exception).

I'm more interested in indie games than AAA right now. I used to be a fan of LotR when the movies came out but I quickly got "burned out" on the whole medieval/fantasy setting (which witnessed a huge boom in all forms of media post LotR movies) and I haven't recovered since.

Edit: it's funny I just realized that Shovel Knight could arguably be considered to have a "medieval fantasy" setting which I just professed to not liking, but I think the retro nature and art makes it a non issue for me.
It was a joke ;<

Though I can safely say that there's something wrong with most, if not all, of SteamGAF. Atleast those of us hoarding! :p

Which may or may not be why I love ya'll. And I hope you enjoy it! I'm definitely jealous now though. ;)
That is encouraging! Thanks Maniac :). I might just have to treat myself to this! :D

If you do, I hope you enjoy it :)

ExoSoul

Banned
Idle Master should be able to idle VAC-enabled games just fine. For example, if have card drops remaining in CS:GO it's perfectly alright to use Idle Master to obtain those cards. Where you want to be careful is if Idle Master is running at the same time that you launch a VAC enabled game and join a VAC enabled server. While nobody I'm aware of has been VAC banned for using Idle Master, this is the only conceivable way Valve could detect that it's running and punish you for using it (if they wanted to)
Thank you =)

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I ain't buying DOA5 until it's confirmed what version the PC port is based on, last gen or current gen.

Well considering the Ps3 and Xbox version are getting just a balance mod, no new hairstyles, no new stages and gotta purchase the fighters I figure they gonna give us the PS4/XBOne version. Doing the opposite would be shitty and unfinished since the PS3/360 versions will be missing features.

The DoW master collection contains all the separate campaigns and multiplayer portions. They didn't get exploitative with DLC until DoW2.

The DoW 2 master collection just the three campaigns plus basic multiplayer. See below for the DLC.

The DoW2 DLC item packs are ingame items with new effects and such, a lot of which should have been included in the base game and expansions. Some are multiplayer based and add new Heroes, races, and unit models. There is also a survival mode, "Last Stand" DLC.

Thanks chief

Maniac

Banned
Part of the reason I hate seeing "generated" anything as a positive. It is only a positive to the handful of obsessives who play hundreds or thousands of hours and would get bored. Everyone else just gets something worse than a handcrafted experience.

The Long Dark has a campaign-story on the way. The Sandbox mode is mostly for testing and creating features fore the campaign. And the only thing that's 'generated' is loot locations, loot-stash locations and wolf spawns and patterns :)
Oh I remember getting a free key for that software some time ago, wonder if that will help me net a steam key for this new release too.

On Steam the dev mentioned that if you don't want to wait for the January 1st release, you could 'buy it on his site right now', so I'd assume every user / customer from his own site will get a Steam key aswell.

Honestly, if I had 32 gigs of RAM instead of 'just' 16, I'd totally jump on it. But not just yet I guess!

Deques

I regret using idle master. All these idled games now show up as played for 2 hours in my profile even though I never touched them. Kills the achievemt completition percentage as well as far as I know. Just to get a few bucks of card money? Never again

Games with no achievements unlocked won't count in the completion rate

This is only tangentially Steam related but I needed a place to vent.

I played through 2/3 of MGS Peace Walker (HD) and watched the rest on Youtube in preparation for Ground Zeroes / Phantom Pain. Good lord the game is so bad. Absolutely terrible.

The actual sneaking missions, while short and super easy, were alright, even though they were never more than "go from A to B". Fulton Recovery and managing your base is somewhat enjoyable as well. But the rest...

- The plot is a joke. MGS3 is my favourite and it kind of builds on that but there's just nothing happening. And the twists that do happen are bad even for MGS standards.
Also Snake forgets the end of MGS3 and The Boss becomes a singing robot. Ok.
- The characters are even worse and have no reason to exist. They are introduced and then never appear again unless you listen to some tapes hidden in menus. Why is Chico even there? He knows things about animals I guess?
Paz does absolutely nothing the whole game until she's revealed to be a triple agent in some shocking twist.
Then there are Amanda and that one french girl. And "Hot Coldman". Are you kidding me.
- The boss battles ruin the flow of the game and take way too long. They clearly require multiplayer to be enjoyable. If you're playing solo you run around and shoot at each one for 10 minutes until your ammo runs out, then request more ammo from mother base, rinse and repeat until it finally dies. Yes, weapons do not come with enough ammo to beat bosses, not even close. It's not difficult, just tedious. It makes no sense that they didn't scale boss HP with the number of players.
- To get the true ending you are pretty much required to
grind missions and bosses over and over again to level up your base and Metal Gear. Fuck that.
- Y can't snake crawl?

My hype for MGS V deflated so hard after playing it. It needs to take absolutely zero inspiration from PW to get me back on board. Sure, it's originally a PSP title but that does not excuse most of its faults. The overall reception of the game seems positive which is baffling. Can't remember the last time a game disappointed me that much. Watching the MGS4 ending on loop for 5 hours would probably have been more enjoyable.

/rant

EDIT: I forgot to mention: Thank god Hayter is gone. Unbearable.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
The Long Dark has a campaign-story on the way.
Hmmm... *looks it up*

"The voice cast for the game includes Mark Meer, Jennifer Hale, David Hayter, and Elias Toufexis."
OH SHIT (;O__O)

And the only thing that's 'generated' is loot locations, loot-stash locations and wolf spawns and patterns :)
That is very comforting to hear, especially since...

In September 2014, Ken Rolston, former lead designer of The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind joined the game's production team.
I gotta get on this.

Maniac

Banned
Hmmm... *looks it up*

OH SHIT (;O__O)

That is very comforting to hear, especially since...

I gotta get on this.

Hadn't heard about Ken joining, that's cool.
As for the voice cast... Aaaaayuuuuup! Both Sheps, a Snake that's reasonably Solid and a cyborgy dude whom NEVER ASKED FOR THIS

Oh and I forgot to say; rabbits and deer spawns are randomly-ish generated too, hope it's not a deal breaker. :p

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
I've nearly survived a month in-game. However this was day 28;

qvF5VpR.png

But hey, I survived through all that! Atleast for now. I'm just hoping I'll reach day 30 and get the cheevo.

itUGmUq.png

What game is this?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Long Dark is dangerously close to make me break my "dont buy games under AT LEAST 66% off" rule

it being EA doesnt help tho

Hello! I haven't seen you around as much recently.

Please scratch the top of William's head as a Holiday present from me.

I think yesterday was the first time I posted in SteamGAF in months :eek:. It's nice to be back :).

I shall happily do so :). He will no doubt purr his appreciation to Uncle cicero most enthusiastically :).

Oh and The Long Dark GET! :D

I'm far too tired to start a new game today but really look forward to digging into this. SteamGAF's impressions have really sold me on this game so thank you for that <3. Unless of course I hate it and then my wrath will be terrible!
I'll set William on you! His purring will deafen you all! Bwahahahaha!!!!!

Why PS4 version of Don't Starve has trophies, and Steam version doesn't?
And it comes with an opening cutscene too, very well done, on PC there's nothing.

Playstation requires it to be on their PSN. Also: cash money.

The developer's intention was to not include them, since it incentivizes playing the game for that end rather than the open struggle they want.

I wish I liked that game more. It's got some interesting things going on and the art is kool with a k. Survival games just aren't up my alley, I guess.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
wheres Turf at? I need my partner in crime on dealing with janky ass Focus Entertainment games

Just played a little bit of Bound by Flame, seems... ok. Well, ok-ish? Theres some potencial here. Daggers feel good, sword feels awful, theres 0 impact to the sword. Already looks like the best Spiders game ive tired, which granted, isnt saying much, especially if you are the type that is turned off by these janky ass eastern european games.

dex3108

And it comes with an opening cutscene too, very well done, on PC there's nothing.

Because Sony said that game needs achievements to be on PSN. Klei doesn't want them and they made stupid achievements just to pass Sony certification.

Klei doesn't care about PC gamers, I'll never purchase another Klei game unless it's 1€ on a indie bundle and I can give all money to charity.

I love how people are posting MOTN on the favorite indie game topic. I really dislike the game anyway, it's like a bad stealth game wrapped in a early 2000s children cartoon

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (woo and indeed hoo, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first served.

The Long Dark -- MB-CEB9757F39A66CA2 - Taken by Miker. 205 entrants total.

t1419866488z1.png

Good luck boys and girls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom