• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December II 2014 - A thread for people who don't like sale side posters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Locust

GMG is doing a Green Grogre holiday sale for 48 hours

I'm surprised GMG keeps putting old Bethesda shit on sale but it's still always lousy 50% off. I might actually buy that Brink DLC if it had a proper discount. Or maybe not.

Battle: LA is 75% off if anyone wants to experience what is maybe the worst licenced FPS game that exists.

Immersive first person shooter experience: AAA boxed product visuals and heart-thumping 5.1 surround sound pull you into devastatingly deep into the heart of the battle.
lmao

bigzgod

People hoarded Deadpool as well and 1 year later its selling for >100$. The supply is finite but the demand will always exist because there will be always new people collecting games.

$100+ is kinda an exaggeration. Keys are going for $30-$40 and gifts are going for around $60ish. However, removed games are always crazy as hell and the rarer they are, the more they are valued at. DA2 would likely sell for $500+ if a copy ever popped up for sale.

MUnited83

For you.
Deadpool is a good game, has a more.... enthusiastic fanbase and was available for a really short time. I can see Walking Dead becoming somewhat expensive too eventually. But Ice Age?

No?

I've seen people buying the Grey's Anatomy game for around 300$. Never understimate collectors. That, and from what i've seen Ice Age is the least hoarded of the three, so it's supply can quickly dwindle.

Locust

$100+ is kinda an exaggeration. Keys are going for $30-$40 and gifts are going for around $60ish. However, removed games are always crazy as hell and the rarer they are, the more they are valued at. DA2 would like sell for $500+ if a copy ever popped up for sale.
Legend goes that a copy of Stalin vs Martians once went for over $1000

And I know for a fact that someone I know was offered $500 each for Top Gun and his Rayman Origins + Rayman 2 preorder.

Dr Dogg

What I meant was: A few guys and gals like Shadow of Mordor made this year a poor year for gaming because...? Why should anyone give a shit about what they like or don't like?

You know how it is sometimes, some folks can't understand that different people can like or loathe different things for different reasons that may differ from your own opinion on the same game. Same as different people can like the same game but for different reasons but doesn't make the opinions conflicting. Well that gave me a headache just typing that. Respecting other peoples opinions, even if they differ or conflict with your own is a rare thing when discussing vidya gaems on the internet.

Every mission in the game just felt like a tutorial. Also it made really poor use of the license. The environments were uninteresting.

While i don't necessarily disagree with your points, here's where i stand on Mordor, pulled from another thread:

I had an incredible time with Mordor but that was in spite of its campaign being middling. It's all of the other stuff it does that makes it so exceptional, and if Mordor 1 got so much right then Mordor 2 is going to be a monster.

I can't speak for Bayo2 as i haven't played it, but Mordor deserves some love for doing something completely different with open world games and raising the bar for what a good open world game should be. It's handling of stealth, combat, side quests, and the entirety of the nemesis system all pushed the genre forward, and when you go back and try to play an asscreed game in a post-mordor world it just feels rusty and outdated.

MUnited83

For you.
$100+ is kinda an exaggeration. Keys are going for $30-$40 and gifts are going for around $60ish. However, removed games are always crazy as hell and the rarer they are, the more they are valued at. DA2 would likely sell for $500+ if a copy ever popped up for sale.

From a quick search i've seen that most people are selling gifts for 50 TF2 keys or more, and those keys are 1.9$/2$ of value each.

I'm not sure they are best... I mean, look at Apple. Selling grossly overpriced, underperforming products to customers for years and having them fucking love it and ask for more.
Valve isn't selling Call of Duty for $160. Well, unless you count Australia, but fuck those guys.
yeah the constant upgrading and mini-'oh look its nothing'-innovations that Apple does is pretty offensive. But as far as micro-currencies, hats, and 'events' like the gem thing, the creation of communities based around buying stuff is sort of unique to Steam.

Something else that stuck out is how dev's handle, or are clueless to, the distribution platform. The shovel knight dev's and Jason Rohrer seem pretty resistant to sales, while other developers seemingly have no idea how the steam platform works, which is sort of disheartening and ameliorates any kind of criticism raised against Valve.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
pretty great, and while Valve Steam is the best/worst at this, it's systemic with most companies and industries. Your Steam balance is basically a scrip, which has been around for 150 years

of course, but the method of Valves 'money making' is whats fascinating about the article. a company selling things isn't interesting. creating sub-systems of consumerism is interesting.

Like Valve, the same could be said of Google and Apple with their Play Store and iTunes stores. Users regularly take money, dump it into their ecosystem, and use it in ways that continuously make Google/Apple money. I would wager based on my own personal experience, that Google Play and iTunes gift cards are outselling Steam gift cards 10,000:1 (possibly 1,000,000:1?) this holiday season. Basically the same idea: your money is going into their pockets directly, and they're writing it off slowly as you purchase apps / games / music / movies and other things that are infinitely more popular than Steam games. When you buy that content, Google/Apple takes 30% and the developer gets the rest. Google/Apple's only hard cost is the cost of the bandwidth required to deliver the item to you digitally.

The difference here is that Steam has innovated ways to generate additional profit from this revenue stream. I would wager (given my limited knowledge of the specifics) that Google and Apple didn't come up with something similar simply because they don't need to. Those services are already immensely popular and profitable, and adding a layer of complexity like the Steam Marketplace does would probably be an overall detriment to their ecosystem that panders to the everyperson.

Additionally, if you just read the first half of the article, it could literally be talking about any reasonably large store that sells gift cards.

I've made over $7 selling cards and other nonsense on steam in the last 24 hours. I wanted to thank the idle master himself, mr jshackles, and the fine folks hungry for random steam cards and tf2 items for partly funding my steam sales pickups.

No problem, glad Idle Master was able to make your Christmas a little brighter. :)

fantomena

What I meant was: A few guys and gals like Shadow of Mordor made this year a poor year for gaming because...? Why should anyone give a shit about what they like or don't like?

Sure, but GameSpot is still a pretty big site though, but yeah, I agreed.

Every mission in the game just felt like a tutorial. Also it made really poor use of the license. The environments were uninteresting.

Yeah, pretty much.

While i don't necessarily disagree with your points, here's where i stand on Mordor, pulled from another thread:

I had an incredible time with Mordor but that was in spite of its campaign being middling. It's all of the other stuff it does that makes it so exceptional, and if Mordor 1 got so much right then Mordor 2 is going to be a monster.

I can't speak for Bayo2 as i haven't played it, but Mordor deserves some love for doing something completely different with open world games and raising the bar for what a good open world game should be. It's handling of stealth, combat, side quests, and the entirety of the nemesis system all pushed the genre forward, and when you go back and try to play an asscreed game in a post-mordor world it just feels rusty and outdated.

The Nemesis simply saved Shadow of Mordor imo.

bigzgod

Legend goes that a copy of Stalin vs Martians once went for over $1000

And I know for a fact that someone I know was offered $500 each for Top Gun and his Rayman Origins + Rayman 2 preorder.

Yeah, my friend was offered $80 immediately after some crappy $2 game called i-fluid was removed. He's holding on to it for now, since he doesn't think there's that many copies of it floating out there but it's nuts.

Backlogger

Sorry if already been posted, but this site is having a decent sale including Shadow of Mordor for $14

Edit: Ooops, can't post that link apparently.

I'm tempted, but at the same time I wonder how fast this game is going to be under $10 at this rate?

Jme

People hoarded Deadpool as well and 1 year later its selling for >100$. The supply is finite but the demand will always exist because there will be always new people collecting games.

What do you mean Deadpool is selling for more than $100? Where?

Jadax

You can get Deadpool for 20k quite easily actually, just need to not jump at the first trade you see for it.

Backlogger

This should tell you what a bad idea it is to buy from that site =p

Yeah...I bought a game from them a while back, may have been last year around this time and didn't have any issues, but it definitely isn't a site I would use often I suppose.

On an unrelated note:

I recently finished Far Cry 1 on Steam and just got into Part 2/Act 2 of Max Payne 1. The voice acting was so terrible in these games, but I can't put them down either. Its like watching a low budget horror or action movie. I never played either of these games when they first came out, and I'm sure at the time they were considered mind blowing. I'm enjoying going back and playing some of these old games FP type games. Thief and Deus EX are next on my list.

640x480.resizedimage

Edit: I'm glad that using live action video or images of real people digitized isn't a thing anymore

Holy shit MGSV:GZ is amazing. Holyyy crap

1024x576.resizedimage

First run stats. Completion ratio was 8% after finishing it. Was it worth the 8 euros? Hell yes. Maybe 40 euros would have been pushing it but I would have been totally okay with 20 euros, it was most likely the most exciting video game thing I have played in a while.

redlacs

just a reminder - last 15 minutes to get your first free card for voting on main page.
(that problem with page not loading seems to be fixed)

Tizoc

IMO Mordor is worthy of GotY, if you look at from a 'straight forward' view where you focus only on the main objectives of the game, it might not turn out favourably, but when you look at its overall gameplay aspect, despite how simple it may be, it offers good value. That's my opinion at least.
I think what I'm trying to say is, Mordor's gameplay is good enough to warrant it a GotY position despite how simple it is in that regard.

IMO Mordor is worthy of GotY, if you look at from a 'straight forward' view where you focus only on the main objectives of the game, it might not turn out favourably, but when you look at its overall gameplay aspect, despite how simple it may be, it offers good value. That's my opinion at least.
I think what I'm trying to say is, Mordor's gameplay is good enough to warrant it a GotY position despite how simple it is in that regard.

SHADOW OF MORDOR GOTY EDITION

"good enough"

"simple"

"good value"

"only focus on the main objectives"

"10/10"

Chariot

Holy shit MGSV:GZ is amazing. Holyyy crap

1024x576.resizedimage

First run stats. Completion ratio was 8% after finishing it. Was it worth the 8 euros? Hell yes. Maybe 40 euros would have been pushing it but I would have been totally okay with 20 euros, it was most likely the most exciting video game thing I have played in a while.
It certainly is good, but 20 Euro for that little content is a bit much. It rather works as advertisement for Phantom Pain. This level of enjoyment in giant scale? That's a Day One if it can deliver.

SHADOW OF MORDOR GOTY EDITION

"good enough"

"simple"

"good value"

"only focus on the main objectives"

"10/10"
"More stable than Tetris."

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I see GMG has a proper holiday sale now. nothing for me but still.

Lemme ask something i'm a bit confused. Where's the key that gives you an extra Dark Souls game? Is this the one?(on the cd key button)
af66bc0bf4.png

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Lemme ask something i'm a bit confused. Where's the key that gives you an extra Dark Souls game? Is this the one?(on the cd key button)
af66bc0bf4.png

Yes, but you only have a spare key to give away if you bought the game on Steam itself -- all retail keys are GFWL keys.

Yes, but you only have a spare key to give away if you bought the game on Steam itself -- all retail keys are GFWL keys.
That's what i wanted to know. We'll see if i have any friend interested in getting it. if not, i'll do a giveaway here. Thanks :)

Jawmuncher

You don't have a spare key even if you bought it on Steam though.
If you try to give someone your GFWL key it says it's a dupe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom