• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December II 2014 - A thread for people who don't like sale side posters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tebunker

Banned
Don't know about the others but Space Rangers HD is awesome and criminally overlooked.

Getting the feeling that is the game I should buy, not the bundle.

I just decided to pivot and get Divinity II on the daily deal, and then a bunch of sub $5 stuffs too, maybe to give some away in a future give away

Arthea

Getting the feeling that is the game I should buy, not the bundle.

I just decided to pivot and get Divinity II on the daily deal, and then a bunch of sub $5 stuffs too, maybe to give some away in a future give away

a bundle is nice, and zky wrote some very nice things about Parkan 2, that's why I bought it even, I can't find her post in question right now. But Space Rangers is must have imo, so if you are unsure about other games, buy at least that one.
I'm totally not biased, and my fascination with genre mixes has nothing to do with it! well, maybe a little (><)

Anteater

FarCry: Blood Dragon is the worst with this. I played it for the first time for like 30 minutes and then quit, and it gave me that message. Come back, and I'm at the beginning again. Play it next time for like an hour, and I'm at the beginning again. Haven't gone back.

yea i think blood dragon actually has checkpoints too but you can't continue from there if you quit for the first mission

Anteater

Lol, this bothers me too. I always end up playing longer till I find something that simply, positively, must be a checkpoint... and then find out the next day it wasn't.

shit sucks, i remember beating a boss in batman origins and i thought it must've saved so i quit but it actually saved after all the stupid dialogues that came after the fight

i had to fight that fucker again when i continued, i don't actually mind the gap between save points but i would like to know WHEN i actually saved...

Turfster

But what I realized is this: what i'd really want is a Dawn of War type game that's turn based. Large army of mechs/soldiers, with some amount of unit progression (level up, perks, whatever), possibly with some meta-overworld strategy level (choosing where to attack, etc).

Does a game like that exist?
Dominions 4 is probably the closest you'll get on Steam.

My first thought was ASL (advanced squad leader, you pervs), so there's stuff like Combat Mission, but it's not on Steam.

Hanzou

Luftrausers's good for the first hour or so, then it gets stale fast, IMO its ideal pricepoint should be <$1.
I kind of agree. I think I have played it for about an hour so far and have kind of had my fill. Plus didn't I buy it in a humble Bundle for like $1? A humble Bundle with it in it existed correct?

god i hate modern game checkpoints

"do you really want to quit cuz you will lose all them fucking progress but I'm not going to tell you when was the last time you saved, did you not notice that save icon that flashes on the top right hand corner when the game automatically saved? LOL"

I've lost a lot on Ground Zeroes because of this.

"the fuck? I swear I picked up that patch already..."

Knurek

I remember a game telling you exactly how long ago the last save happened. Forgot the name, was perfect (if we ignore allowing to quicksave).

Bioshock Infinite.
Certainly wasn't perfect.

One could also argue that the Souls counter in Dark Souls count...

Jame Retief

Neo Member
Hello everyone.

I think yesterday was the first time I posted in SteamGAF in months :eek:. It's nice to be back :).

I see I'm not the only one that's been away a while. Real Life became so much more complicated and busy that I even stepped away from gaming for most of the year (with the exception of the meta-game of increasing my backlog, of course).

It's good to see the familiar crew here.

I never played the Castlevania: Lords of Shadow games on PS3/360 so I'm playing the demos available on Steam...just played the first one and I liked it so now on to the second

Realized I won't be getting to another 10 holiday cards to make a badge. Selling off those cards for pennies. Feels g...okay, not exactly "good" when I see a mere nickel in my steam wallet? But it doesn't feel bad, I guess.

I kind of agree. I think I have played it for about an hour so far and have kind of had my fill. Plus didn't I buy it in a humble Bundle for like $1? A humble Bundle with it in it existed correct?

Seeing as it was in many giveaways a few weeks ago yes it probably was in a bundle.

Asgaro

Tried some LA Noire again, haven't played it since release on 360 and I forgot how well made it was in some aspects. Like in the first fight your are in and your hat flies off, when you later walk over it he picks it up again, little touches like that.

My man... YES.

GRVvV.gif

I made a lengthy post about LA Noire when I completed it 2 years ago, with examples of all these little touches.

If you know Dutch, read here http://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/list_message/38598620#38598620

Otherwise: rough, fast translation.

It contains NO spoilers about the storyline.

The game sits in my top 5 games of all time. ((I don't know whether that still applies but I think it does.))

- When you ram a car, the driver will get out and walk like he/she got crippled.

- When someone shoots in your arm, blood will drop from under your sleeve.

- Within buildings where people smoke, you see the smoke hanging on the ceiling.

- All name tags you find on walls and on desks are high res and readable.

- A ton of places in the world are high res. Even places you never have to go for the storyline or sidequests! For example all the backyards of houses are all very detailed and there is for example diversity in regards to the fences.
Also, even GORGIOUS small river beds and creeks. Like seriously, why don't we have to go there for missions?!

- Weapons reload realistically. For example: with the Thompson you see him bending the weapon in half. Instead of a simple reload clip animation.

- Your character takes stairs step by step. Instead of walking like they are on a flat hill.

- In the Hall of Records, you have to use an authentic altitude/longitude tracker + an old school calculator.

- When you call dispatch, you hear signal noise on the line.

- Your foot steps sound different depending on where you walk.

- There is a museum where a lot of objects are very detailed.

- You see tears in driveways to a house.

I can go on but this is a quick list I could think of.

I also didn't just go into houses to check for clues and get going, but I was a lot of time simply sight seeing because I love that era.
I also had the "hint music" disabled so finding clues really meant you have to look; not listen.

The game starts rather slow storywise but really picks up towards a great ending.
The last few missions consist of revealing a conspiracy you had seen snippets from during the earlier missions.
But it's really only towards the end of the game that the game really delivers.

I now plan to search for Film Reels; just cruising around in the city with random cars and 40s music on.
((In the end I didn't really go after the majority of those Films Reels since it became a bit tedious and I had already well taken in the sceneries during the storyline and sidequests.)

For me personally, it was the 2nd or 3rd time I ever got emotional in a game.

I feel sad Team Bondi isn't anymore. I really hope we see a successor to this magnificent game.

My downsides?
Besides looking for clues and interrogations, there should be some more variety in missions. I did over half of the side missions but there should be more content.

Also, normally I finish games one after the other. Really a complete-and-delete system.
I can normally find enough enjoyment in a game to not feel "saturated" and having to play something else.
With LA Noire it was bit hard, so I went to play another game I was planning to play afterwards: Rage.
When that game was finished, I went straight back to LA Noire and finished it. :)

Again, it's WELL worth it to see the ending of LA Noire!

Btw, I played it on PC and had no performance issues. Yes, there is a 30 fps lock but I didn't find it too annoying.
Not that I'm a closet peasant. I would have liked unlocked.

Some of those little touches can right now seem ordinary. Like the tears in driveways. But I remember this kind of detail was rather new back when I played this game.

LA Noire left a bad taste in my mouth. There was a bunch of detail but everything felt scripted. I never really felt in control

Anyway I started playing The Witcher. The soundtrack is awesome and the combat is okay but I can see it getting dumb repetitive by the end game. The animations sure do look goofy but I guess that's attributed to the fact it was made in 2007 with a dated engine. Hopefully something clicks because Im not really seeing what's so special about the series although I heard the second is the masterpiece.

Ofcourse, but which ones. Is Shovel knight any good for that price? Not really into indie games lately so I need some real magic.

It's definitely worth it at full price let alone at 33% off. The music is great, platforming/mechanics is great, and the bosses have awesome design. Plus they'll be putting out updates soon where you can play as the bosses

I only got a few on there, like Valiant Hearts and Teslagrad. Last game I played was Nihilumbra, which was okay. Not great but okay.
alright. i have no clue why but your steam name on your gaf profile had a zero instead of "o". now i see. hm. vailant hearts and teslagrad both are supposedly good games.
then again, let me check what kind of games you usually play quick..

The_Monk

how's Temple of Osiris guys?
(I'm thinking of buying on the PS4 as it's easier to local co-op)

Hey wil, Here's my very small impressions that I posted the other day:

Finished Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris recently and I really liked it.

It makes a huge difference in Co-op, however. I don't think I would have half the fun if I were playing the game alone. I played in 2 hours sessions for some days since release so it seems that the length is between 6-8 hours long but it really depends on how much time you take at exploring the map, solving the puzzles, catching gems to unlock better items and so on. Locations will change, from day/night cycles to snow and rain environments which is something I like in pretty much any game. The puzzles will adapt depending on how many players are in the game, some of them were pretty straight forward while others required some thinking as a team.

I played almost the entire game with just a friend but there were times I completed some Tombs with 3 players as well. Never tried 4 Player Co-op. For some reason you can only send invites if your friend is already in-game and if you are the host and you lose connection all the other players will drop from the game as well, but at least, you will get back to it right where you were (this happened once during a Boss fight). I've always been a Tomb Raider fan and while this is different direction I liked it just like the previous entry. If you are into such games, I can honestly recommend it but it's a game meant to be played with a friend or two. Will see what type of content the Season Pass will provide since I purchased the Physical disc version (with the Art-book).

If you have any other questions, let me know, hope it helps.

Anteater

For science right?

Me too.

yes!

tumblr_mobc6jeoeb1rfurnqgy.gif

i like how loren the amazon princess does it, just download a uncensored demo and load the save with the full game

I've lost a lot on Ground Zeroes because of this.

"the fuck? I swear I picked up that patch already..."

yea fuck that shit, i don't really mind checkpoints, as a matter of fact i love them, but i want to know where exactly it saved so i don't quit and have to redo like half of the level or a boss fight

confuziz

Banned
alright. i have no clue why but your steam name on your gaf profile had a zero instead of "o". now i see. hm. vailant hearts and teslagrad both are supposedly good games.
then again, let me check what kind of games you usually play quick..

I guess it's a bit of both worlds. I like good indie games but i can also appreciate AAA games. PS4 is my main gaming console though.

I only got a few on there, like Valiant Hearts and Teslagrad. Last game I played was Nihilumbra, which was okay. Not great but okay.
tbh you could get both vh & tg from your wl and still have enough in your wallet for imo great games like dishonored, tomb raider or max payen 3.
looks like a good choice to make.

gngf123

I think I prefer Nekopara as an all ages game. That way it is just cutesy and very stupid.

The 18+ version honestly would weird me out a bit too much.

dani_dc

zEfOfHQ.png

Hatoful Boyfriend community thread

yes!

tumblr_mobc6jeoeb1rfurnqgy.gif

i like how loren the amazon princess does it, just download a uncensored demo and load the save with the full game

A simple solution as that would be ideal.
I need to start Loren at some point, I have no idea if the game is even supposed to be good or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom