• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December II 2014 - A thread for people who don't like sale side posters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
That's pretty sweat that you can ramp up and down supply to suit demand. I can imagine what with more and more Enhanced Steam users all the time and as you said much higher demand over Sale periods there's some pretty big peaks and troughs.

It does. The big sales spike the usage up pretty high, with the Summer Sale (traditionally) being the heaviest load. Here is a graph of the Enhanced Steam API servers "Average concurrent user sessions per minute" report as represented from January 1, 2014 to today:

xLKzfoD.png

Which itself is fairly telling. Contrasted with the same report from last year I only anticipated about 37% of the summer sale "first day" load and what I got was about 75% of it which is almost double. I had spun up enough server power to account for about 50% of what I saw during day one of the summer sale, but obviously that wasn't enough to meet the demand.

And of course, there are a huge number of factors involved. At least it's keeping me on my toes and making things interesting. On December 28th, Enhanced Steam will have been released for 2 years. I've learned a lot in that time, but every time a big sale has come about I've been continuously surprised by the sheer volume of users. Of course if I had an unlimited budget I'd simply buy a huge number of servers and keep them running year round. But seeing as this is something that started as a hobby project and has grown to almost 1.5 million downloads that survives on donations, I think I'm doing pretty good with what I've got.

Lain

I thought sites like Amazon were getting away from selling Steam keys of Ubi games.

I think it's only for the new stuff, as they still sell steam keys for AssCreed 4.

They've price matched pretty much everything so far, but as this is a "hidden" deal you probably want to go to the site and submit the price match yourself to speed up the process.

Did that, but while doing it I had to switch to the American Steam store (to grab the price) and saw that the deluxe edition of the EU side was Gold edition on the American side, so I idiotically assumed it was just a question of a different naming scheme and decided to go ahead and grab it from Steam (because that way I'd also get a card)... I did end up having to buy the Season Pass separately, obviously, and the DLC doesn't shows up as owned in the store even if it's under the DLC properties in my library. When will Valve fix that? Never I bet.

Miguel81

I'm hoping that Prince of Persia 2009 drops a bit more in price but im torn at buying that game knowing that Ubisoft never brought the epilogue over to PC. Wish someone would rip it out of the 360 version and make a mod for it, like they did with those Sonic Unleashed levels and the DLC stuff from Burnout Paradise. : /

The epilogue was pretty pointless as the OG ending is fine the way it is. I'd love a proper sequel to '08, but alas :(

Ruruja

Helloooo, just back from my work's do - little bit tipsy.

Quick question, if I get Borderlands 2 GOTY and I already own Borderlands 2, does it add as a new Steam entry in my library or does it just add all the DLC to my Borderlands 2?

That's the lowest you'll see it until Summer Sale.
If you want it now, GMG is matching the -25% and you get to put one of their -20% too.

I'm a bit sad that pretty much every deal up to now has been either matched or even beaten by the competition.

Alright, bought it. :3

Black Flag 75% off is tempting, but since I've already played it on PS4 and there's neither Achievements or Steam Cards, I'll pass on it for now.

zkylon

zkylewd
Any PM is a good PM!
i hope you're happy

I won dark souls

But it says the code was a duplicate :(

Thanks anyway :)

you monster

Errr... I'm just gonna let my man Rhaknar handle this shit.
if it's gonna be a minor discount just don't make it a daily

no need to take the place of a game that would actually get a daily worthy discount

Look at my budget right now.
c060b09fa8.png

Bro better hurry up with my 50 steam bucks.

I might wait til summer for VC
i'd gift it to you but apparently i'm brazilian so i'm in steam jail now

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
IndieGala Friday Special Bundle $2.49 (Price will increase)

Into the Dark - Ultimate Trash Edition
Third Eye Crime
Snuggle Truck
Scourge: Outbreak - Ambrosia Edition
Coldfire Keep
Sacraboar
Dracula - The Resurrection
Dracula 2 - The Last Sanctuary
Dracula 3 - The Path of the Dragon
Penguins Arena - Sedna's World
RIP Trilogy
The Cameron Files - The secret at Loch Ness

Phinor

seems the 60% off on Gal Civ 3 was a mistake, now its 50%

I think that's still too big a discount considering the game won't release for at least another six months and it's not just some random unknown developer title but a big PC exclusive game.

They don't have much room for bigger discounts if they are already selling it 50% off.

if it's gonna be a minor discount just don't make it a daily

no need to take the place of a game that would actually get a daily worthy discount

I understand the logic -- but 25% off a brand new game isn't necessarily "not worthy" of a daily. It's all a crapshoot. ;)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

a much worse offense in my opinion is the GIANT spaces for some random games that are literally taking the space of 4 games instead. The recent thanksgiving sale had the same, and it pissed me off there too

and its random too! it changes! its not like "oh those games / companies money hatted for more exposure". its just shitty design

zkylon

zkylewd
I understand the logic -- but 25% off a brand new game isn't necessarily "not worthy" of a daily. It's all a crapshoot. ;)
well i didn't say sega should burn in hell for it, i just think it's silly

No worries I got it thanks to GMG deal.
ibqyRjYn1zCnuQ.gif

a much worse offense in my opinion is the GIANT spaces for some random games that are literally taking the space of 4 games instead. The recent thanksgiving sale had the same, and it pissed me off there too

and its random too! it changes! its not like "oh those games / companies money hatted for more exposure". its just shitty design
sure

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so, Blands Pre Sequel must have bombed hard huh >_>

slightly off topic: It's super weird to see people saying FREEDOM and mentioning Team America all of the time in regards to the sony hack because it's like they're talking to me and I can't help but feel like everyone is referring to me when doing so.

I know, it's dumb but it's like someone shouted your name, you turn around to see who it is, and instead they're shouting at the guy that's like 10 feet behind you instead.

Salsa

im just gonna go ahead start Black Flag and skip III even tho I bought it like 2 years ago

also leaving a mid-playthrough of Revelations which I just got bored with like.. 3 years ago?

Miguel81

im just gonna go ahead start Black Flag and skip III even tho I bought it like 2 years ago

also leaving a mid-playthrough of Revelations which I just got bored with like.. 3 years ago?

Black Flag is a great tropical adventure(Enjoy!). Freedom Cry is supposed to be a decent addition too, but I spent too much time in the multi rather than tackling that one.

BruteUA

I'm glad my OCD isn't so bad. I got Black Flag on uPlay a little while back, added it as a non-Steam game, and was never bothered it wasn't the Steam version. Didn't lose any saves but that's more likely due to Game Save Manager than luck. Streaming worked fine, screenshots, Steam chat/overlay, buying DLC on sale from GamersGate. If uPlay integration is your only reason to skip it, you're missing out.

Most of you guys have wrong opinions anyway.

Rhaknar

Seems like it has, though in fairness, BL2 was discounted pretty quickly as well, and was a huge success.

not this quick >_> and pre sequel was already 50% on like GMG even sooner. I smell a BOMBA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom