• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December II 2014 - A thread for people who don't like sale side posters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

Where I live it's 23%.

An awful lot of countries in Europe have varying VAT rates. For example here essential food, books, newspapers, childrens clothes and medical costs and prescriptions are exempt for VAT with 5% on utility bills and property renovations/contracts and then a 20% charge for other categories and luxuries. All this change will bring in for me is that Valve will have a 5% increase in their VAT bill. Whether they chose to absorb the cost themselves or increase store prices as a result remains to be seen but the low 3% VAT rate for Luxembourg is very similar to the UK's 0% one and if you go look on Amazon's VAT break down you'll see they charge 15% for digital games so it's not a massive increase. Though this will effect pretty much every digital store front in EU countries so it will be 'fun' to see how this plays out because it's going to be fucking chaos with the amount of variable in the mix.

Copons

Hmm, looks like the EU store prices might be going up even more.

Links:

Link

Link 2

Essentially, how it works right now is that companies only have to pay VAT from the country they operate from. For Valve, they are located in Luxembourg, which has a 3% VAT. However, the change, starting Jan 1, will be that companies must now pay VAT based upon the location of the consumer. Considering some countries have VAT at 25% or higher, I imagine Valve will likely raise prices to compensate. This is of course speculation but I can't imagine that they wouldn't.

Yeah but how do they even think of enforcing this?
Twenty countries, twenty different tax rates, twenty different tax rates changing all the times, twenty different ways of reporting taxes.
And I don't mean Steam actually, but all the small stores scattered around, that now will need to update and keep updated their sites to keep track of every possible tax shit going on at the moment?
No, really, how.

fantomena

I laughed more than I should.

VruQNty.jpg

Question. I only got a decent gaming PC this September so I'm still not really experienced with these sales.

The game I'd really like to get is Europa Universalis IV and I am talking about the huge collection thing that is already on discount for around 40 Euro. Now, if something like this is already on discount, is there a possibility that a Daily Sale can get the price down even more?

Decided to get Dark Souls 1, but Steam won't let me add it to my cart. Bleh. Guess I'll wait until the next sale. This is what indecisiveness gets me!

Turfster

GMG updated their 24 hour deals.
Note that their Skyrim is just vanilla, so that "great deal" at 75% off pretty much a lie =p
The Deus Ex collection 75% off is a good deal, though.

Alavard

Question. I only got a decent gaming PC this September so I'm still not really experienced with these sales.

The game I'd really like to get is Europa Universalis IV and I am talking about the huge collection thing that is already on discount for around 40 Euro. Now, if something like this is already on discount, is there a possibility that a Daily Sale can get the price down even more?

Basically, nearly every game on the Store is on a base sale.

When, it's a daily, flash, or community voted deal, it gets even cheaper. The rule is generally not to buy something until you see it as a daily, flash, or community voted deal, or until the very last day.

Europa Universalis IV will almost certainly be a daily, as it has quite often in the past sales, and nearly all Paradox titles become dailies.

Turfster

Daily
  • Prison Architect xx% off
  • Vanishing of Ethan Carter xx% off
  • Stronhold Crusader II xx% off
  • Europa Universalis IV xx% off
  • 7 days to die xx% off
  • Metro 2033 Redux xx% off
  • NBA2K15 xx% off
  • Binding of Isaac xx% off
  • Rise of Nations Extended xx% off
12 hour deals
  • Lord of the Rings War in the North xx% off
  • Trine 2 xx% off
  • Risk of Rain xx% off
  • Dreamfall Chapters xx% off
  • Mass Effect 2 xx% off
  • The Golf Club xx% off
Community choice
  • Bulletstorm 80% off
  • Cities XL Platinum 80% off
  • Panzer Corps 80% off

Humble Store Daily
  • Sniper Elite III
  • Divinity Original Sin
  • Shogun 2
  • Mortal Kombat Komplete Collection
  • Insurgency FLASH
  • Banner Saga
  • Bastion
  • CastleStorm Complete
  • GangBeasts
  • Jet Set Radio
  • Nights Into Dreams
  • LEGO Batman 2
  • OlliOlli
  • Shelter
  • Space Hulk
  • Magic 2015
  • Van Helsing II
  • Tropico 4
  • Frozen Synapse Prime
  • Proteus
  • Quest of Dungeons
  • Trine
  • Trine 2
  • The Inner World
  • The Book of Unwritten Tales 2 (EA)
  • SpeedRunners
  • Sokobond
  • Serious Sam The Random Encounter
  • pid
  • Metrocide
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1
  • Full Mojo Rampage
  • Psychonauts
  • Cubetractor
  • Receiver
  • Serious Sam Double D
  • War for the Overworld
  • Signs of Life
  • OTTTD
  • Shadowcrypt

derExperte

fuUzL0d.png

And EU4 is a daily now. But wait for the prices to update.

Dr Dogg

Yeah but how do they even think of enforcing this?
Twenty countries, twenty different tax rates, twenty different tax rates changing all the times, twenty different ways of reporting taxes.
And I don't mean Steam actually, but all the small stores scattered around, that now will need to update and keep updated their sites to keep track of every possible tax shit going on at the moment?
No, really, how.

It's isn't really that hard. For starters there's already a similar deal with the various different amounts of sales tax for different US states plus it's also in effect with many retailers for non digital goods across europe anyway. That and I don't know of a single country that has changed it's VAT rate more than once in a financial year and that's the rate you account for in you tax year for collections of invoiced goods. Now there's 29 countries in the EU to keep track of which compared to variable income tax rates of employees at some companies is a breeze and most accountancy and reconciliation software is keep up to date every time you launch it. So every purchase made and then subsequently invoiced is charged the applicable VAT rate for the purchasing country at that time and factored into the total cost of the invoice at the end. Unless someone is on the scale of Joe Blogs eBay seller then this isn't even a problem to keep up with the situation and I'd imagine if someone is invoicing international customers they will have a pretty slick automated invoicing system in place which is really what this affects.

Plus I mentioned this to you back in April! :p

Alavard

Careful everyone, in addition to not updating on the main page yet, the daily discounts aren't actually applying in their respective store pages yet. Give it a few minutes and wait for those daily countdown timers before buying anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom