• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December II 2014 - A thread for people who don't like sale side posters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gngf123

Go ahead and define "higher" for me, please?

Depends on the game, but you are normally looking at between 10-30% higher.

Picking a couple from the front page:

Isaac - 12.77% higher
Ethan Carter - 14.68% higher
Ryse - 26.87% higher
Europa Universalis IV - 26.89% higher
Mass Effect 2 - 36.07% higher

And this is without the new policy changes, which could raise them quite a bit here (3% tax to 20%)

Paying slightly more than the US I have no issue with. 40% in some cases? No, I'll be using a different store for those.

apparently we are ... according to publishers ... I mean - 60€ for new ubi games - that's totally fair
haha, yeah. it's about constraining yourself.
holding off until price is very low or bundle.
that way you get the game and have fun + send a message since sales in the first weeks are most important to big pubs.

Depends on the game, but you are normally looking at between 10-30% higher.

Picking a couple from the front page:

Isaac - 12.77% higher
Ethan Carter - 14.68% higher
Ryse - 26.87% higher
Europa Universalis IV - 26.89% higher
Mass Effect 2 - 36.07% higher

And this is without the new policy changes, which could raise them quite a bit here (3% tax to 20%)

Paying slightly more than the US I have no issue with. Nearly 40% in some cases? No, I'll be using a different store for those.

My question was more along the lines of "are you using the US as the default pricing and then saying that you pay higher because of the current conversion rate?"

Furthermore, this makes me wonder: What region/country are we talking about here, exactly?

gngf123

My question was more along the lines of "are you using the US as the default pricing and then saying that you pay higher because of the current conversion rate?"

Furthermore, this makes me wonder: What region/country are we talking about here?

EDIT: NVM. It's late here, I'm tired and not thinking clearly.

What I just said still does apply to Europe. I listed from the UK store, which is probably already hit by higher VAT.

EU store prices are generally similar, so what I said still counts, but different prices. In which case my original post was about how $=£ (or €) conversions or worse are crap and sadly happen already without the new policy changes.

Mass Effect 2 is currently $ = £ = €, which is just stupid.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
The movie was just plain bad. Only fighter movie I so far enjoyed was Tekken: Blood Vengeance. Story was bad, but it had an kickass soundtrack and the Panda was pretty cute. Also my friends knew Tekken and squealed when some known character came into the picture. Also Panda.

But thats CG and still terrible. (I fully forgot that movie)

MUnited83

For you.
Europe, UK. Taking the prices/comparisons straight from Enhanced Steam.

In cases like Isaac it is totally fair, I'd expect to pay more due to VAT. When you start getting to $=£ territory or worse, they can kindly fuck off. (Mass Effect 2 seems to be doing exactly that, out of the 5 I picked out)

The 5% VAT? No, it isn't fair.

Arthea

Furthermore, this makes me wonder: What region/country are we talking about here, exactly?

don't try to talk a way around it, dollar was used as common denomination especially when buying games online, it is default pricing, they even still use it just to screw us over, why they use $=€ (which is outright scam) and not €=$?

zkylon

zkylewd
What is that about?

apparently the kentucky route zero guys were auctioning a phone similar to the one from their short game here and there along the echo (great thread on it here by tenrius)

they already auction some other 80s phones on ebay with like creepy letters and whatnot

avo4MGk.jpg

it's some really cool meta thing

Chariot

But thats CG and still terrible. (I fully forgot that movie)
It's not that bad. Quite fitting for a game adaption and wasn't that bad. Imo.
Given that most movie or television adaptions of games are utter crap, it's even playing in the game adaption higher league.

Vazra

Given that most movie or television adaptions of games are utter crap, it's even playing in the game adaption higher league.

Ehhh it focuses on the least important cast. That alone says a enough.

Honestly, I also thought it was pretty damn terrible.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I completely forgot about the Square Enix bundle I bought until just now, ha. Don't have any of the games, interested to try out Murdered: Soul Suspect. Happy with how that turned out even if I only end up playing that and the Lara Croft game.

Miguel81

The Castle section of Resi 4 has some of that old-school atmosphere from the prior games. It looks significantly better here than my PS2 run many moons ago, though the motion blur is a completely garbage option(turn off immediately). No only does it give me a headache, but it muddies up the clarity of this version. The DS4 has been a great pad for this game and has helped alleviate some of my rustiness.

It'll be a hoot replaying in a few years when the texture mods are complete or near to.

That's Bollywood-levels of greatness. Thanks for sharing!

Chariot

Ehhh it focuses on the least important cast. That alone says a enough.
Glad I don't know much about the original so I could enjoy the movie. This is not meant to be negative. I know how much shitty or bad planned adaptions can hurt the fan soul. So I am glad that I had no such thing for Tekken in the first place.

Why is it so difficult for people to properly adapt games? >.<
Honestly, I also thought it was pretty damn terrible.
It was bad, yeah. But even bad is better than most of the other game adaptions in the world. Just look at all the Uwe Boll Schmock.

Vazra

Glad I don't know much about the original so I could enjoy the movie. This is not meant to be negative. I know how much shitty or bad planned adaptions can hurt the fan soul. So I am glad that I had no such thing for Tekken in the first place.

Why is it so difficult for people to properly adapt games? >.<It was bad, yeah. But even bad is better than most of the other game adaptions in the world. Just look at all the Uwe Boll Schmock.

IMO at least in the case or fighting games is that the plot in the games are not enough to do something proper and leaving a lot of space for them to mess with. With other games the case is that the writing and action doesnt translate to movies and the "tweaks" to make it work simply end up being mostly shit.

Lomax

I forget, is it better to sell holiday cards now before people get more or to sell it later when it's ending for profit?

They're already worth so little now it will make little difference either way. But most likely they will continue to drop through the sale, so you may as well sell now, as that will also give you more time with the money to spend on games.

Dr Dogg

Ahaha sorry for the late answer, but i just wanted to apologize for my memory, which actually sucks hard. :(

Hahaha don't worry about it I knew despite VATMOSS being on the cards for nearly 4 years that only a few peeps would know what the implications are and how it effects them. Plus I wish folks would realise that Luxembourg has 3 rates of VAT and games are 15% not 3 like I keep see it being mentioned. The reason lots of comapnies set up there is that it is the lowest rate in the EU (Malta is 18% where Cyprus and German are 19% at their base rates).

To be fair it could be different for various retailers as when our base VAT rate changed from 17.5% to 20% some retails took the extra hit themselves while others ramped the costs up higher than the increase and inflation rates. Conversely when it was scaled back for 6 months some retails passed the sacings back to the customer whilst others didn't and increased their prices to increase their profits.

Some where like Hungary are going to be the folks who really get fucked if VAT is invoiced fully at their rate for 2015 is 27% so while going from Luxembourgs 15% to 20% here will be about £2 extra on a £40 game for them it would be getting on for 3 times that.

The 5% VAT? No, it isn't fair.

don't try to talk a way around it, dollar was used as common denomination especially when buying games online, it is default pricing, they even still use it just to screw us over, why they use $=€ (which is outright scam) and not €=$?

First of all, life isn't fair. People don't always get what's coming to them (good or bad), things don't always work out., etc.

Secondly, arguing prices based on conversion rates is outright idiocy. There are more factors that are present than just how many of x your y is currently worth.

VAT tax sounds like a ton of fun, but taxes are pretty universal. I have to continually remind people that I buy things for that the US has taxes (depending on the storefront) and it's more than the amount they thought it would be.

Chariot

IMO at least in the case or fighting games is that the plot in the games are not enough to do something proper and leaving a lot of space for them to mess with. With other games the case is that the writing and action doesnt translate to movies and the "tweaks" to make it work simply end up being mostly shit.
Strange, given how much companies push the cinematic feel of their games. And there are a few interesting adaptions I like very much. Mostly anime. No, all anime. Live action produced stuff like Super Mario Bros. *shiver*

Sengoku Basara (minus the recent, awful season) was pretty great, because they just gave no shit at all and directly and without shame included the generals slashing through troops like ants and super ridiculous stuff like that Mecha Samurai without anyone commenting on that. Idolm@ster was pretty fun and Valkyria Chronicles was at least watchable. Boy, now that I write this, the bar looks even lower than I thought.

Vazra

Strange, given how much companies push the cinematic feel of their games. And there are a few interesting adaptions I like very much. Mostly anime. No, all anime. Live action produced stuff like Super Mario Bros. *shiver*

Sengoku Basara (minus the recent, awful season) was pretty great, because they just gave no shit at all and directly and without shame included the generals slashing through troops like ants and super ridiculous stuff like that Mecha Samurai without anyone commenting on that. Idolm@ster was pretty fun and Valkyria Chronicles was at least watchable. Boy, now that I write this, the bar looks even lower than I thought.

Well there are decent adaptations which are made into OVA and anime like Tales of Series and Valkyria Chronicles. Also most of the games getting adaptations are not the ones with the proper stories for movies and when some have a good story they opt to go with a different direction like FF Spirits Within.

Tecl0n

Sengoku Basara (minus the recent, awful season) was pretty great, because they just gave no shit at all and directly and without shame included the generals slashing through troops like ants and super ridiculous stuff like that Mecha Samurai without anyone commenting on that.

and characters changing its design because reasons.

I won these from various giveaways (thank you!), but I hadn't yet activated them on my account and after I discovered the Steam Trading Thread I thought I'd try to see if I can trade any of them for games higher up on my wish list. I didn't think that was frowned upon since there was no explicit rule saying not to do it, but apparently it bothers some people so I decided to give them back.

ModBot 3 said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Anodyne -- MB-34148F03444F1F93 - Taken by RoadDogg. 7 entrants total.
Muffin Knight -- MB-DACAA8AD69C0F239 - Taken by Madn. 6 entrants total.
Nuclear Dawn -- MB-B138295351C1B07C - Taken by Tesseract. 5 entrants total.
Amnesia: a Machine for Pigs -- MB-2BA6937C318F0002 - Taken by gaiadyne. 14 entrants total.
Frozen Synapse -- MB-DA6D37F126B43BEB - Taken by WinterDemons. 1 entrants total.

t1419126650z1.png

Itsy for any of the holiday cards besides Silver & blase. anyone up for it? if you got me on steam just send that trade invite, I'll be on facebook.

I won these from various giveaways (thank you!), but I hadn't yet activated them on my account and after I discovered the Steam Trading Thread I thought I'd try to see if I can trade any of them for games higher up on my wish list. I didn't think that was frowned upon since there was no explicit rule saying not to do it, but apparently it bothers some people so I decided to give them back.

It's pretty much spelled out in the modbot basics:

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.

Copons

Hahaha don't worry about it I knew despite VATMOSS being on the cards for nearly 4 years that only a few peeps would know what the implications are and how it effects them. Plus I wish folks would realise that Luxembourg has 3 rates of VAT and games are 15% not 3 like I keep see it being mentioned. The reason lots of comapnies set up there is that it is the lowest rate in the EU (Malta is 18% where Cyprus and German are 19% at their base rates).

To be fair it could be different for various retailers as when our base VAT rate changed from 17.5% to 20% some retails took the extra hit themselves while others ramped the costs up higher than the increase and inflation rates. Conversely when it was scaled back for 6 months some retails passed the sacings back to the customer whilst others didn't and increased their prices to increase their profits.

Some where like Hungary are going to be the folks who really get fucked if VAT is invoiced fully at their rate for 2015 is 27% so while going from Luxembourgs 15% to 20% here will be about £2 extra on a £40 game for them it would be getting on for 3 times that.

(Again, sorry if I'm saying stuff i already said months ago, but i can't help it)

Buying stuff across Europe is already a pain in the ass, especially for business. When i buy stuff for work from Germany i have to report those payments to the taxman separately from the ones i do in Italy, and i pay on them a higher tax (don't know the actual numbers, I'm not an accountant nor I'm able to do simple math). It's still cheaper buying like empty DVD and jewel cases from Germany, but it's immensely more annoying.

Anyway, don't think of steam or amazon and their army of accountants and lawyers, but of the small online store managed by 2 people, to which now the EU asks to costanly check the current tax situation in every member country and update their site catalogs (often with hardcoded vat values). Eh i dunno, seems so hard in practice.

It's pretty much spelled out in the modbot basics:

ModBot Basics:

They key word for me there is "off-site"... I wasn't trading them off site (that means not on GAF). And I do have interest in these games, but they're lower priority than others already on my backlog.

Rules should be rewritten IMO if they're not clear on what they mean.

Chariot

They key word for me there is "off-site"... I wasn't trading them off site (that means not on GAF). And I do have interest in these games, but they're lower priority than others already on my backlog.

Rules should be rewritten IMO if they're not clear on what they mean.
Thing is, aside from gag giveaways like Bad Rats, that you shouldn't hoard games and take them just for the sake of taking them. It's a chance for those who actually want to play the games to grab them. Imo.

It's nice that you give them back in a away, though.
Well there are decent adaptations which are made into OVA and anime like Tales of Series and Valkyria Chronicles. Also most of the games getting adaptations are not the ones with the proper stories for movies and when some have a good story they opt to go with a different direction like FF Spirits Within.
Yeah, and it's generally too few. And it shouldn't be impossible to adapt games in a good way.
and characters changing its design because reasons.
Are you referring to the awful recent season or did I miss something. Only one who changed the design was Tokugawa and I had the feeling that he just grew up and changed clothed. What's more jarring is, that he is still alive. But dead is pretty cheap in Sengoku Basara :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom