• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December II 2014 - A thread for people who don't like sale side posters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Ugh... Somehow, Ubisoft achieved the impossible; they screwed up AC: Unity even more. It ran at 40FPS without a single dip on my machine, and it still does, but it's also stuttering like crazy. All thanks to the 1.4 patch, which also broke SLI. The Patch "accidentialy" (how the fuck do you even do that?!) weighed 40GB on the XBone and the pop-in has increased.
The store-page should get an Early Acces banner...

I haven't played a game this broken in a good while. Not only from a technical standpoint. Mission design can be both impressive and downright awfull. It's incredible how often every aspect of the game can switch between those two. Ah well, atleast Paris is still a joy to explore.
/rant

And good day, Steamgaf! :)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
How is Prison Architect as an EA? Does it feel "complete"? I worry because from what I heard, it used to have slow updates and didn't get much attention after until this year.

Chariot

How is Prison Architect as an EA? Does it feel "complete"? I worry because from what I heard, it used to have slow updates and didn't get much attention after until this year.
It has enough content to entertain for hours, maybe days. They're at the point where everything basic works. You can make a fully working prison and reeducate your prisoners into healthy, reformed members of society. Or you go the Chariot way and transform you prison into a shithole where riots are daily and people keep smuggling drugs and killing each other with forks. Buy it. It's really fun.

Milamber

Prison Architect should have you as a prisoner mode, where you slowly make connections and upgrade your arsenal to achieve the final goal of a breakout. You can play your own maps to find the weaknesses in your construction.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I think there are a lot of bugs still, but it looks like the devs are constantly working on it and ironing stuff out, and they actively encourage feedback in their forums to help improve the game.

Milamber

It has been a while since I played Prison Architect though. Did they finally add additional floors to it or do you still build on a single floor?

Maniac

Banned
I still cant buy anything from the sales, since my Steamwallet is in €, the prices are in US$...

If you've still got problems I could probably do a few purchases for you whenever you need. Just gimme a shout if you want :)
Sales so good you buy the same game thrice?

Well... Basically. I gave less than a dollar per copy of Castle Crashers, and about 4 per Space Engineers.

Gonna gift a copy of each to two of my mates that I tend to have LANs with. It's gonna be glorious. All we need now is AoE II HD and HOMM 3 HD when it comes out.
I second this advice.

I... Uh, double second it? I third it?

*shrug*

Milamber

I wonder how many games on Steam followed up with a Xmas themed update? I know, ETS2, CS:GO and Prison Architect had them.

I feel like watching an Xmas movie tonight too. Maybe I'll put on Die Hard.

Dr Dogg

Kind of interesting to learn that it's 15% and not 3%. Most of the articles and places I've seen talking about it reference 3%, so that's what I used in my post. That being said, do you think that Valve will eat the difference or just up their prices to account for the higher VAT? If they do up their prices, do you think they'll make separate "regions" because of the different VAT rates or will they bundle them all together like they do right now with EU, EU2, and UK and just charge the highest rate for everyone in EU, in this case being Hungary at 27%?

Hahaha yeah since this was pretty much a signed deal at the beginning of the year a lot of the reporting on it has either been scaremongering or ill informed. I think a lot of the English press from the tabloids and subsequently regurgitated by other sites (and a few gaming ones too) were pointing the fingers at the likes of companies who avoid tax in various means (been a theme here in the UK for a couple of years). Here's the breakdown of VAT rates for Luxembourg as it stands.

Standard VAT rate: 15% (17% Jan 2015)

Reduced VAT rate: 14% wine, domestic fuel and advertising

Reduced VAT rates: 8% bikes, domestic services

Reduced VAT rates: 3% foodstuffs, books, pharmaceuticals, medical, passenger transport, newspapers, admission to cultural, sporting and entertainment events, hotels, restaurants, books, e-books

And for comparison here's the UK's

Standard VAT rate: 20% (Jan 2011)

Reduced VAT rates: 5% property renovations

Reduced VAT rates: 0% foodstuffs, books, pharmaceuticals, medical, passenger transport, newspapers, children’s clothing

And for further clarification here's how Amazon.co.uk handle and charge VAT at pressent for physical goods and I'll bold out the section for digital goods.

The table below shows the VAT rates charged by Amazon.co.uk on physical goods dispatched to EU destinations. The VAT rates below are not applicable to digital content, including Kindle content or Digital Music downloads.

Sales of digital products and services including Kindle content, Amazon Apps, Software & Digital Games (including prepaid gaming cards), Digital Music downloads, Amazon Music and Cloud Drive are shown inclusive of Luxembourg VAT rates of 15% (3% for e-books). For customers based in Iceland, Norway or Switzerland, Amazon will charge local VAT in line with local VAT legislation.

For more information on the product groups that are available for delivery to specific countries please see the Delivery Restrictions help pages.

For more information about items that qualify for a UK VAT rate of 0% please see the Items Eligible for 0% VAT Rate help page.

So if you tie all that up e-books were pretty much the only digital item getting a 3% VAT rate and I'm not sure if were going to update our tax categories but the move will actually mean the UK won't pay any VAT on e-books due to literature being tax free for centuries.

How this will affect digital pricing I have no idea but I'd say judging by the way Valve operates and let's partners set their own prices with only the tiniest bit of guidance from themselves is that they will let that continue and they will just set the appropriate VAT rate at checkout. This is pretty much how most retailers do this serving international customers with physical goods. I got shackled with doing credit control once at work and the accounting and invoice software we use is pretty basic but still has multiple VAT percentages that are automatically applied when selecting which invoicing country. Regards to Copons' gripe it takes about all of 5 mins to update and our tax office, HMRC actively send you the details every quarter when filing returns and that's information given to a FTSE 100 registered company or a self employed plumber.

Maybe store prices with be excluding VAT and then it's applied at checkout. I can't see it working any other way at there really isn't individual support for the 28 member states (well baring the UK but we're funny about our money).

Ban Puncher

Help! My PC suddenly shut down and won't power back on. Motherboard and GPU are lighting up as is keyboard but it won't boot. I'm on a dying phone and I can't even post an appropriate hyperventilating.jif

Help! My PC suddenly shut down and won't power back on. Motherboard and GPU are lighting up as is keyboard but it won't boot. I'm on a dying phone and I can't even post an appropriate hyperventilating.jif

if you have multiple ram modules check removing them and trying only one at a time, maybe your ram went kaput.

Also if you have another power supply you could try it.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Douse it in gasoline.

Light Em Up
tumblr_n4ecfnuCmu1qlvwnco1_500.gif

Kaleinc

Banned
Do you have external drive to boot from (dvd/usb)?

Milamber

But seriously, if your MoBo got a built in VGA/HDMI, disconnect everything except one RAM of your choosing and another hard drive. Physically remove your GFX card too. If it boots and asking for OS, then it is good. Connect your main HD and see if it boots again. Then insert RAM one by one. Then finally the GFX card. You'll stop somewhere and that is the problem.

Dr Dogg

And this is why buying a mobo with a post readout saves oodles of time.

Anywho I get the feeling that you were meant to play Unity before Rogue.

Tizoc

I wonder how many games on Steam followed up with a Xmas themed update? I know, ETS2, CS:GO and Prison Architect had them.

I feel like watching an Xmas movie tonight too. Maybe I'll put on Die Hard.

I need to get around to watching that movie some day...

zkylon

zkylewd
so broadcasting is super dead it feels?

top viewers right now is 20 people

anyways i'm staying up so fucking late lol

turns out haxeflixel is the new gamemaker

looking forward of fighting it out with it for 1000 hours like i did with gms

Chariot

so broadcasting is super dead it feels?

top viewers right now is 20 people

anyways i'm staying up so fucking late lol

turns out haxeflixel is the new gamemaker

looking forward of fighting it out with it for 1000 hours like i did with gms
Pretty sure a lot of people scream in private. Some things are not for everyone to see.

Milamber

Let's get together and watch something together for Christmas. I am sure I have "A Time to Screw" lying around somewhere.

Now that is a classic. How about some Bible Black and to finish it off the last of the great ones, Tentacle and Witches. Nothing better than good old womb penetration.

baterism

From the other thread and very interesting.
Carpe Fulgur stuff will be on sale.
Apparently a mistake.

https://twitter.com/SpaceDrakeCF/status/545791641182027776

Good.I might have waited Reccetear for 50% since 1 or 2 years ago. I thought the dev/pub are on indefinite vacation on some random tropical beaches living on Steam sales alone.

Btw, MGSGZ is pretty fun guys.You can
blow Hideo's car over and over again
. It seems I'm late to the party.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom