• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December II 2014 - A thread for people who don't like sale side posters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'll be getting Life is Strange once my post-Christmas paycheck comes in.

There's actually a lot of games coming out in January/February I am interested, probably more than ever before in the January/February time period, as usually almost nothing I'm interested in comes out during that time period. We got:

Alone in the Dark: Illumination
Apotheon
Dying Light
Evolve
Grim Fandango Remastered
Grand Theft Auto V
I Will Escape
Karmaflow: The Rock Opera Videogame
Life is Strange
Nekopara
Raven's City
Resident Evil HD Remastered
Resident Evil Revelations 2
Shelter 2
Way of the Samurai 4
Yatagarasu Attack on Cataclysm

Looks like it may release very well in January/February:
Corpse Party
Dollhouse
Higurashi When They Cry
Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number

Looking like a good year start for me, some of these titles I'm not thinking will be good but be interesting.

Ah... Um, is there are way to purchase a game discreetly? I'm planning to buy a game but I don't want it to appear on my activity page, for fear of jeers and taunts when I buy it.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Ah... Um, is there are way to purchase game discreetly? I'm planning to buy a game but I don't want to appear on my activity page, for fear of jeers and taunts when I buy it.

Just buy DOA5 proudly and fuck what da haters have to say.
ibg400prwTQu9u.gif

How is Prison Architect as an EA? Does it feel "complete"? I worry because from what I heard, it used to have slow updates and didn't get much attention after until this year.

It's great. It's got a ludicrous amount of content, and has felt pretty feature-complete for a long time.

It's fun because it's really flexible. You can make a "nice" prison genuinely focused on rehabilitation and prisoner care, or a brutally oppressive panopticon designed to break their will and spirit. Both routes can actually lead to a well-functioning prison. And both are fun in their own way.

Just buy DOA5 proudly and fuck what da haters have to say.
I won't be ashamed if I would DOA5. In fact, I would even proudly show it to the world, with name change + avatar pic and all. I only have php308.84 left on my wallet, and DOA is 899.95php. No way I can afford that.

Knurek

And people were surprised when Unity didn't run particularly hot with everything turned up balls to the wall on a 2 year old or so midrange GPU.
16045117986_8a1d447d04_o.png

Kind of reminds me of when the folks over at Remedy moved the FOV slider out of the advanced graphics settings because people were maxing that too.

Doesn't in all seriousness look better than Bioshock Infinite did, and that ran at 60 fps with everything turned up to the max on my measly 750TI.

Dr Dogg

What's that`?
Any recommendations if I maybe upgrade my computer sometime next year?

Pretty much most motherboards have them these days but the readout can save a lot of time of unplugging things, head scratching and such. All they are is a 2 digit LED readout of the current state of your system. Not full proof mind but can be really handy.

its a very pretty game but its ubi's fault for poorly optimizing it.

Well to be fair on Ubisoft they did give pretty advanced warning about the minimum level of entry for hardware. Some folks chose to ignore that and though their lower than required hardware would be up to the job. Granted the game isn't as scalable as Black Flag but calling it unoptomised is a bit of a stretch as what the game is putting on screen is more than worthy of the GPU and CPU performance cost. On the stability and bugs front that's a different kettle of fish as quite a few from what I understand affected every system it was on though touch wood I've encountered no faceless people or folks with wild hairdos. Texture LOD transitions are a bit short on the settings I'm using but it's no where near as jarring as what AC II is still like.

Doesn't in all seriousness look better than Bioshock Infinite did, and that ran at 60 fps with everything turned up to the max on my measly 750TI.

Which still has Unreal Engine's 10 foot LOD scaling with makes shadow edges look really out of place among other things. You can debate around aesthetics all day long but in terms of graphics techniques (not the same as aesthetics or art direction mind) Unity is in a very small group on it's own.

Ugh... Somehow, Ubisoft achieved the impossible; they screwed up AC: Unity even more. It ran at 40FPS without a single dip on my machine, and it still does, but it's also stuttering like crazy. All thanks to the 1.4 patch, which also broke SLI. The Patch "accidentialy" (how the fuck do you even do that?!) weighed 40GB on the XBone and the pop-in has increased.
The store-page should get an Early Acces banner...

I haven't played a game this broken in a good while. Not only from a technical standpoint. Mission design can be both impressive and downright awfull. It's incredible how often every aspect of the game can switch between those two. Ah well, atleast Paris is still a joy to explore.
/rant

And good day, Steamgaf! :)

X1 -- Where more is always better.

I have all DOA games. (Not including the Xtreme spin offs)
ah well i guess you're a huge fan then which means you're actually happy to see it come to PC. :)
Well to be fair on Ubisoft they did give pretty advanced warning about the minimum level of entry for hardware. Some folks chose to ignore that and though their lower than required hardware would be up to the job. Granted the game isn't as scalable as Black Flag but calling it unoptomised is a bit of a stretch as what the game is putting on screen is more than worthy of the GPU and CPU performance cost. On the stability and bugs front that's a different kettle of fish as quite a few from what I understand affected every system it was on though touch wood I've encountered no faceless people or folks with wild hairdos. Texture LOD transitions are a bit short on the settings I'm using but it's no where near as jarring as what AC II is still like.
ah they did? well then that changes everything. did you beat the game? if you did do me a solid and tell me the ending of the present day plot, it was always the most interesting story imo in ac.

Chariot

Fable HD is worth if you already own and played the original?
From what I heard, not really. It adds content wise nothing but some costumes you have to buy with real money. Such a waste. Fable is the perfect game to add additional missions and abilities per DLC. But no, gotta have some extra costumes.

Chariot

If I buy it I won't buy costumes for sure. So do you suggest to skip HD version totally?
I would, last time I heard about it, it had no mouse support in the menues (wtf), some strange jumping framerates, had bugs that riddled savegames useless and otherwise jsut bring nicer graphics and controller support to the table. In my opinion, not worth it. Not as new game and not as something one should support.

They really could've gone big with this.

derExperte

I would, last time I heard about it, it had no mouse support in the menues (wtf), some strange jumping framerates, had bugs that riddled savegames useless and otherwise jsut bring nicer graphics and controller support to the table. In my opinion, not worth it. Not as new game and not as something one should support.

They really could've gone big with this.

They released a lot of patches, last one included mouse in menus.

gngf123

I just noticed that Cloudbuilt is 80% off again:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/262390/

I've raved about it a few times, so see if it sounds like you guys might be interested in it:

I will start off by saying this game absolutely isn't for everyone. I recommend this to you if you are interested in intricate fast movement, speedrunning, and 3D platforming. Think of it as maybe a mixture of what Dustforce might be like in 3D, and a third person Mirror's Edge. That's not the best way of explaining it, but I'm struggling to come up with a better one.

Cloudbuilt is hard, very hard. When getting familiar with the game it might even feel unfair. There are some enemies that seemingly refuse to die, lasers where you least want them, and complex wall running maneuvers that require incredible precision. To enjoy the game you need to work with that, and you will need to see the enemies not as objects to kill, but as environmental hazards to avoid. Everything feeds into the one goal of the game: getting the best time as possible. Nothing else matters.

But boy, when you learn the game is it fun. I'm no Chezda, mind: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26l1SndpfvE

I do take back the Mirror's Edge comparison though... Dustforce + Sonic in 3D with some shooting and not shit might be more like it.

Dr Dogg

Of course the real travesty behind Unity is locking Altair's outfit behind the stupid companion app!

ah they did? well then that changes everything. did you beat the game? if you did do me a solid and tell me the ending of the present day plot, it was always the most interesting story imo in ac.

Well the systems requirements came out. Folks gawped that they were 'high' and probably overblown but in reality they weren't. I think that was fair warning enough. Still ACIII's recommended system was less than what I had at time of release and only now can I get any sort of framerate about the mid teens in Boston and New York. No matter what I adjusted or tuned off my hardware just wasn't up to the task. I do kind of get the same impression here that they went to make a 'graphics game' ie one that is very demanding but that kind of locks out quite a big part of your audience and then there's the question of some folks who don't think the extra performance needed is worth it (ie Knurek's post reflects that as they find other games with much lesser requirements just as pleasing to the eye). Doesn't help with all the bugs and such combined with hefty requirements and you get this tangled mess in the end.

Regards to finishing it, well thanks to Ubisoft I've had to sit on my hands for a month until they released it to the UK store. Still having a discount on day one for a game I was always going to buy was a pleasant surprise. Though I did buy and finish Rogue for 360 which I do think should have been planned to release around the same time as Unity on PC to give an option for those will machines more suited to it. Though I guess it was more in line not to cannibalise sales of Unity on PC and Rogue on PS360. Still should be a nice start to 2015 if all goes to plan and it get's released early in the year.

And finally about the present day stuff. In Unity I'm only upto Sequence 3 but it's been a bit thin on the ground but in Rogue it's along the same lines as Black Flag (so first person software developer hacking computers around Abstergo). It's actually even more tongue in check in Rogue with a few little digs at Ubi themselves.

Durante

I just made this image for an upcoming article.

logosntuii.png

Holy crap, 2014 was so fucking amazing. I mean, I knew that, but seeing it like this really drives the message home.

Doesn't in all seriousness look better than Bioshock Infinite did
Do you want me to start ignoring you?

pahamrick

Holy crap, 2014 was so fucking amazing. I mean, I knew that, but seeing it like this really drives the message home.

That image reminds me that I'm so behind, I only have 3 games off that image, and I still need to get Banner Saga, Wasteland 2 and Dead State ASAP.

Spyware

Oooh. Had totally missed Lords of Xulima, looks great! You made me wanna go buy Dead State too but the recent reviews make me think I should probably wait. Especially since I own all but two games in that pic but have not even started them yet... ouch.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Bell Gargoyles done, took about 4 tries.
Now onto Capra Demon, which, like, is the lowest point of Dark Souls, right?
Kill the dogs first. And
run up the stair's, walk off, repeat.
It's not the lowest point in Dark Souls, that's reserved for the Demon Ruins, but it's certainly an annoying bossfight. With the camera being your largest foe.
Good luck. :)

Knurek

I'll put my sign down for you. What level are you?

Thank you but if I've managed to beat him solo earlier, I'll manage to beat him now.

logosntuii.png

Looking forward to it, not enough people are in the know about Xulima.

Do you want me to start ignoring you?

AssCreed might have more fur shadies, displacement cartographers, particle effectors or whatever is cool with game devs today, but seriously, BioInf's art direction is ages above everything Ubi did
, with exception of UbiArt titles.
(Not having played Unity, I can only suspect both games suck donkey balls gameplay-wise)

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Hardest bosses in DkS:

1. Kalameet (also best)
2. Manus (also second best)
3. 4 Kings in NG+ (combined with co-op for faster spawning of Kings)

O&S and Capra don't even really fall on the same chart as those dudes.

Knurek

Also, Durante-sempai, seriously, an article about 2014 PC RPGs and no mention of Dark Souls II? Or is that in a lower row, alongside FFXIII-2 and Valkyria Chronicles?

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Hardest bosses in DkS:

1. Kalameet (also best)
2. Manus (also second best)
3. 4 Kings in NG+ (combined with co-op for faster spawning of Kings)

O&S and Capra don't even really fall on the same chart as those dudes.
I've never been able to beat Kalameet, surviving his firey breath for more then two minutes already felt like an accomplishment.
Absolutely loved the Artorias fight, though. Favorite boss in the entire series, right next to Old King Alliant and Manus. All three very challenging, in all the right way's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom