• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December II 2014 - A thread for people who don't like sale side posters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
Hey guys, I have an interesting thought for discussion.

Well, not really that interesting,but worth answering.

Do you think the user reviews system on Steam serves as an accurate indicator for game quality?

Why or why not?

no, they're worthless as a measure of quality like any sort of aggregated system

Do you think the user reviews system on Steam serves as an accurate indicator for game quality?

Why or why not?

I think too many games have the "very positive" review, which either means there are thousands of great indie games in early access, or people have a love affair with developers of games that are fun but not broken.

(1) Steam has only a yes or no system. This is broken out of the box. You're forced into giving games something along a 0/5/10 scale with no in between values. So when you get a bunch of games that look like they show promise in EA or if they're a solid indie game, people will give it the thumbs up for being good or having potential or being worth whatever they paid for it.

(2) Further muddying up the water is the fact that, like any platform with user contributions, there are people who will get worked up over some slight problem or bug and grab their fucking pitchforks and form a lynch mob. It's like metacritic with all the user reviews being spammed with 0s because of something or other. Grief.exe had a picture of the RE4HD user reviews slightly after launch and it was near 100% negative... they've been fixed now, but when you can do that sort of swaying of the score with no control set? The system is garbage.

Avinexus

Why or why not?
No. A bunch of reviews are either jokes or something like "Bought for .50, sold cards for $1. 10/10 would buy again" when its actually some super shitty game.

Matchew

I thought the Dark Souls game for windows update was up? Why am I still getting games for windows sign in screen?

Nevermind

I don't know anything about uplay--do I need to be online to play games or does it just check once when I run the game?

If it makes any difference the game in question is AC:Black Flag.

Lomax

Why or why not?

I think they work well enough. Every game in my experience has at least one serious, well written review that hits on details about the game. Usually there's at least a few. And sure, there's plenty of joke reviews and the like, but there is a difference between 60% positive from 50 reviews and 95% positive from 2000. It's obviously not a great single source, but it can often point out things that are broken or common issues like serious DRM. I can't really think of any system that would be better or more effective.

zkylon

zkylewd
for all people harp on about dark souls 2, damn if they didn't massively upgrade the interface

playing dks1 again really reminds you of how shit it used to be

no, they're worthless as a measure of quality like any sort of aggregated system

Speaking of aggregates, I remember the days when Rotten Tomatoes tried to include video game reviews. Almost every game was getting 100% by their standards because reviewers used a 7-10 scale (i.e. every game they reviewed was "fresh" no matter what.) They don't include video games anymore and rightfully so..

When it comes to Steam user reviews, you just have to ask yourself: "Do I trust the average Steam user? The person who buys Early Access games, tags Barbie games as Horror and Five Nights at Freddie's as Family Friendly for fun, and constantly votes to put Alan Wake on sale?" If yes, then sure they'd be helpful. If no, then you'll need to find another source.

pahamrick

Flash deals

- Blade Symphony
- Xenonauts
- Might and Magic Heroes VI
- Warmachine Tactics
- How to Survive
- Dead State

Xenonauts is really good for folks who loved the original XCOM (Or hell, if they liked the 2012 XCOM.)

Dead State at 50%+ would have made me forget my budget for an instant buy, but it looks like I'm safe.

zkylon

zkylewd
Speaking of aggregates, I remember the days when Rotten Tomatoes tried to include video game reviews. Almost every game was getting 100% by their standards because reviewers used a 7-10 scale (i.e. every game they reviewed was "fresh" no matter what.) They don't include video games anymore and rightfully so..

When it comes to Steam user reviews, you just have to ask yourself: "Do I trust the average Steam user? The person who buys Early Access games, tags Barbie games as Horror and Five Nights at Freddie's as Family Friendly for fun, and constantly votes to put Alan Wake on sale?" If yes, then sure they'd be helpful. If no, then you'll need to find another source.
lol that rotten tomatoes story is hilarious

Xenonauts is really good for folks who loved the original XCOM (Or hell, if they liked the 2012 XCOM.)

Dead State at 50%+ would have made me forget my budget for an instant buy, but it looks like I'm safe.

well dead state just came out, 33% is better than most (*cough* valkyria *cough*)

i take it from the relatively quick sale that dead state didn't really make a lot of money on release which is sad but pretty expectable, what with the rough graphics, being yet another zombie setting game and generally lukewarm media coverage

at $20 it's kind of a lot for buying games in general on steam but it's a pretty good game i have put over 60 hours into already and planning on putting some many more. it's rough but it's got a pretty fun core gameplay loop of fighting dudes and looting them and then going back and upgrading your base and keeping your dudes happy

i'd prolly recommend most people to wait on it until it gets some more patching and with it better sales but if you buy it now and you know what you're getting into (aka buggy and unpolished but kind of genius) your money's well spent

pahamrick

lol that rotten tomatoes story is hilarious

well dead state just came out, 33% is better than most (*cough* valkyria *cough*)

i take it from the relatively quick sale that dead state didn't really make a lot of money on release which is sad but pretty expectable, what with the rough graphics, being yet another zombie setting game and generally lukewarm media coverage

at $20 it's kind of a lot for buying games in general on steam but it's a pretty good game i have put over 60 hours into already and planning on putting some many more. it's rough but it's got a pretty fun core gameplay loop of fighting dudes and looting them and then going back and upgrading your base and keeping your dudes happy

i'd prolly recommend most people to wait on it until it gets some more patching and with it better sales
Yeah. My budget is actually gone, but I've been looking forward to picking it up. I wasn't expecting much of a discount. But $15 or less would have been hard to pass up.

I want to finally jump into COH2 - but when I go to start the campaign, it makes me go to the store to buy the game, yet I already have it in my library and loaded and everything (no it is not the beta).

How do I get to the single player?

Anustart

Didnt feel like starting mass effect tonight so I downloaded Limbo to see if my daughter would like it and if I would too. I shouldn't have let this sit in my backlog so long!

zkylon

zkylewd
Didnt feel like starting mass effect tonight so I downloaded Limbo to see if my daughter would like it and if I would too. I shouldn't have let this sit in my backlog so long!

play it with headphones and lights off

one of like 3 games in my life i played that way

it's not scary or anything, just very atmospheric and haunting

Coreda

ffs, Steam locks the thread about Javascript issues affecting Firefox v28 on Steamcommunity.com. It'll never get fixed this way, while it was fine a mere week ago and even Opera v12 has no issues.

This would never have happened with v3 vs v4 of Firefox, so I see no reason why part of their code is completely disabling Javascript on v28. Frustrating and avoidable.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'm so happy for Dark Souls on Steam proper now.

Locust

I want to finally jump into COH2 - but when I go to start the campaign, it makes me go to the store to buy the game, yet I already have it in my library and loaded and everything (no it is not the beta).

How do I get to the single player?
If you got it from the Sega Humble Bundle you only have access to multiplayer.

Lomax

Heh, I almost bought some How to Survive DLC yesterday figuring at 80% off it wouldn't go lower. But that drop actually cut the price in half. Glad I waited. So far I've yet to buy anything this sale for more than 49 cents o_O

Knurek

Was excited for a moment that Playism has Touhou 14 for sale.
Turns out it's only available at their Japanese site.
Hype deflated. :\
(Also, why no Touhou 8?)

Reg

Banned
This sale kinda blows so far.

PF2TUKM.gif

rickyson1

picked up isaac rebirth on a whim earlier

pretty awesome actually and seems like there's a lot to it

I don't think it's really the kind of game I would play for hours and hours consecutively but I could definitely see myself doing a run or two a day for a long time

wilflare

hmm I just finished CODAW... I kinda enjoyed the campaign.
predictable story yea... lol just liked the gunplay... guess it was good to play when you are feeling unwell :/

what should I try next

Knurek

hmm I just finished CODAW... I kinda enjoyed the campaign.
predictable story yea... lol just liked the gunplay... guess it was good to play when you are feeling unwell :/

what should I try next

I hear Half-Life 2 is an enjoyable CoD clone.
/s
Should be good after CODAW, since both of them are sci-fi.

This sale kinda blows so far.

No Russian bear. Nuuvem beating sales on Steam. I actually like the grouped games in Community than the stand alone. Factor in the same shitty Steam PC community who votes for the godawful games and yeah, one of the lackluster Holiday sales I have ever witnessed.

Arthea

The Heroes Pack is not discounted again? Why Ubi, why you do this? My CE of HoMM V doesn't redeem on steam, and you don't let me to buy this pack cheap too? bad, Ubi, bad

edited: what happened to steam search, it's totally broken since beginning of sale I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom