• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December II 2014 - A thread for people who don't like sale side posters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lomax

i guess people that find that shit attractive don't have the taste to tell anyways

i didn't play bound by flame but i played the previous spiders game, mars: war logs. i heard the games are pretty similar

mars was basically a small budget witcha 2 clone. it was pretty light on mechanics and the story was kind of all over the place, but it was surprisingly polished and had a lot of systems with like real time combat and crafting and skill trees and side quests and whatnot. the story also branched somewhat which was pretty cool. combat is basically the witcher 2, you have your block and your roll and you lock on dudes and spam roll and just use attacks or guard breaks and spells and all that stuff. it also had some cool quests with like multiple solutions (including a detective quest! i love detective quests!)

i heard bound by flame is a bit more action-y and less story-focused but from the video's i've seen it looked exactly the same lol

i think what's not so exciting about bound by flame is that mars at least had a pretty good setting and a pretty good "set up" in general. like starting the game planning a prison break is pretty darned awesome. it's set in a colony in mars and has some weird technocracy cyberpunkish stuff going on that is pretty cool. bound by flame is like dark fantasy or something which by now has been done to death, so that's kind of lame

Yeah I was really disappointed that Bound by Flame went the generic fantasy route, and even more disappointed that it seemed to be more successful as a result. Mars War Logs was hardly perfect but it was good fun and got good post release support (hell they redid the whole dialog translation), and Of Orcs and Men was a unique take on the genre. Bound by Flame just looks like a mediocre Dragon Age spinoff to me. The last thing we need is more janky fantasy rpgs.

Sini

Welp, Dark Souls runs like shit for me. I was so excited to finally play it after GFWL got removed.
With DSfix frame rate fix it generally fluctuates around 20-35fps and in boss fights 15-25fps due to particles.

With DSfix frame rate fix it generally fluctuates around 20-35fps and in boss fights 15-25fps due to particles.

If it truly is due to particles, it's most likely a fill-rate issue with your graphics card (as most particles are at least partially transparent).

You can get quite a bit of performance back by lowering your resolution, if that is indeed the problem. If you're using DSFix you can render even lower than usual. (It may be due to the sheer number of particles, though, which would be a CPU problem that wouldn't be easily fixed by DSFix.)

Alternatively, there may be some lower-res texture mods that may improve your performance.

Spyware

The discussion about Bound by Flame is interesting and made me buy it. This sale is the first one in a bunch of years where I spend way more than I imagined I would. And I was planning on spending quite a lot.

zkylon

zkylewd
it's important to mention that life is strange (what a fucking shitty name that is) is made by the remember me devs and features as a central mechanic a rewind thing similar to the memory jacking or whatever in remember me

it sounds like a good match, something like radiant historia mixed with telltale (sigh) gameplay might be pretty decent. like a heavy rain where you can rewind time but also maybe do puzzle solving with it and maybe actually a good story and characters

Yeah I was really disappointed that Bound by Flame went the generic fantasy route, and even more disappointed that it seemed to be more successful as a result. Mars War Logs was hardly perfect but it was good fun and got good post release support (hell they redid the whole dialog translation), and Of Orcs and Men was a unique take on the genre. Bound by Flame just looks like a mediocre Dragon Age spinoff to me. The last thing we need is more janky fantasy rpgs.

yeah, one of the big things that mars had going for it was the setting and this is pretty unoriginal

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I did as you instructed and then I found this image and now I can't stop laughing at the possibilities for where it comes from. I don't even want to know the truth.

Its the truth. DOA breast were less realistic in terms of proportions and worked more as balloons in the Xtreme 2 game. DOA5 went and used more realistic proportions which is what they are proving there. Youtube you can write nude mod and you can see quick on results.

Arthea

oh so i did that whole writeup and you only read first sentence

well fuck you too!

how did you came to that conclusion, zky? Seriously... your post made me understand that I'm more interested in Mars, and I decided to forget BbF for the time being. jeez, you are touchy.

zkylon

zkylewd
i don't mind walking simulator or just decisionmaking games

i just hate the way telltale does the whole SARAH WILL REMEMBER WHAT YOU SAID and then 5 seconds later she gets eaten by a zombie. or like i choose to save john! and then john gets eaten anyways on the next scene cos they wouldn't actually do branching paths

so yeah i really hope it's a lot more gone home than the walking dead

how did you came to that conclusion, zky? Seriously... your post made me understand that I'm more interested in Mars, and I decided to forget BbF for the time being. jeez, you are touchy.
why do i bother adding exclamation marks to posts -___-

Vazra

i don't mind walking simulator or just decisionmaking games

i just hate the way telltale does the whole SARAH WILL REMEMBER WHAT YOU SAID and then 5 seconds later she gets eaten by a zombie. or like i choose to save john! and then john gets eaten anyways on the next scene cos they wouldn't actually do branching paths

so yeah i really hope it's a lot more gone home than the walking dead

We'll see how it goes. I hope they don't mess it up.

Arthea

They also mentioned Heavy Rain so probably minimal.

they chose worst possible way to advertize that game, mentioning Gone Home and Walking dead and Heavy Rain, that's like triple overkill (><)
Then again maybe it is a clear message: stay away! don't come near! dangerous to health and life, no fun allowed! It's nice of them, isn't it?

Vazra

they chose worst possible way to advertize that game, mentioning Gone Home and Walking dead and Heavy Rain, that's like triple overkill (><)
Then again maybe it is a clear message: stay away! don't come near! dangerous to health and life, no fun allowed! It's nice of them, isn't it?

It's okay if its not your type of game. Move along and play what you like and may the ones who enjoy those types of games enjoy it. I find it funny how some trash this style of game while some play visual novels now that shit is golden.

AHA-Lambda

Yeah but 2 out of 3 ain't bad :p

zkylon

zkylewd
gone home is one of my favorite story-driven games in recent memory so yea, magic words for me

not a big fan of the like teenager scrapbook thing since i feel like it's a bit derivative from what gone home's aesthetics have already done but we'll see

also i hope the superpowers thing doesn't go in like an outrageous beyond two souls direction

Lomax

it's important to mention that life is strange (what a fucking shitty name that is) is made by the remember me devs and features as a central mechanic a rewind thing similar to the memory jacking or whatever in remember me

it sounds like a good match, something like radiant historia mixed with telltale (sigh) gameplay might be pretty decent. like a heavy rain where you can rewind time but also maybe do puzzle solving with it and maybe actually a good story and characters

Yeah, I think a well done adventure game based primarily on the memory rewrite ability could be really great actually and bring something truly new to the genre. Especially if there's some real agency and consequence in the choices you make, rather than just cool but meaningless variants and only one true "win" state.

Vazra

gone home is one of my favorite story-driven games in recent memory so yea, magic words for me

not a big fan of the like teenager scrapbook thing since i feel like it's a bit derivative from what gone home's aesthetics have already done but we'll see

also i hope the superpowers thing doesn't go in like an outrageous beyond two souls direction

Hopefully the writing isnt as weak as Remember Me. Interesting plot but the writing let that part down. At least the game looked pretty and had a bitching OST.

Arthea

It's okay if its not your type of game. Move along and play what you like and may the ones who enjoy those types of games enjoy it. I find it funny how some trash this style of game while some play visual novels now that shit is golden.

That's funny way to put it, as those 3 games basically are VNs, not good ones at that, you know that don't you?

Yeah but 2 out of 3 ain't bad :p

not in my universe, they aren't ;)

Vazra

That's funny way to put it, as those 3 games basically are VNs, not good ones at that, you know that don't you?

They are more like interactive movies than Visual Novels as visual novels normally have less environment exploration and interaction and to some point they remind me more of point and click games than Visual Novels.

zkylon

zkylewd
Yeah, I think a well done adventure game based primarily on the memory rewrite ability could be really great actually and bring something truly new to the genre. Especially if there's some real agency and consequence in the choices you make, rather than just cool but meaningless variants and only one true "win" state.
yeah, i really think radiant historia was onto something

i hope more games try that sort of stuff in the future

Hopefully the writing isnt as weak as Remember Me. Interesting plot but the writing let that part down. At least the game looked pretty and had a bitching OST.
i'm not sure if the writing (as in screenplay) was it. i played like half of it before being bored to death and i felt like the game was pretty aimless with its plot. i mean, the whole game felt aimless in general, with like the multiple gameplay systems and that weird combo maker thing and the rewinding puzzles

i really hope for some likable characters. i feel like remember me really suffered from a pretty obnoxious protagonist that kept whining and whining but then tried to act cool in random situations. it was annoying as hell. too bad cos her visual design was great

i really don't get how people can hate gone home

it's like one of the most earnest games i've ever played

but whatever

autoduelist

Is there a community on gaf for buying/splitting 4 packs?

Also -- Rise of Nations or Age of Mythology? There's a bundle with both (plus Age of Empires), but $25 is more than I want to spend.

MUnited83

For you.
Is there a community on gaf for buying/splitting 4 packs?

Also -- Rise of Nations or Age of Mythology? There's a bundle with both (plus Age of Empires), but $25 is more than I want to spend.

I will be opening a Rise of Nations 4pack if anyone is interested. It's 3$ each.

Chariot

I stopped playing The Walking Dead when I realized and heard that my actions had barely any meaning. Visual Novels with choices have fewer ones but most of the time they have in pact. Of course there is turd like Sakura Spirit, but you all know how much I hate that one.

And Kinetic Novels at least don't lie to me that I have inpact.

Vazra

I stopped playing The Walking Dead when I realized and heard that my actions had barely any meaning. Visual Novels with choices have fewer ones but most of the time they have in pact. Of course there is turd like Sakura Spirit, but you all know how much I hate that one.

inpact sounds like an interesting word.

zkylon

zkylewd

yeah that's a big part of what it bothered me about twd

also i feel like games like that that just throw you awful choices (hey! which child do you want to be left to die??) one after the other really lack the subtlety needed to make those choices feel important

it desensitizes you which is the opposite effect to what's intended

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Bah, I just realised that the About Love and Stuff coupon doesn't stack. At least it expires a couple of days after the sale. Valve really needs to add an option that allows you to use a coupon to substitute a pre-existing discount.

Vazra

Is DOA as good as vf5fs?

Gameplaywise they are very similar but VF has tighter mechanics but DOA has more interesting characters and stages. IMO DOA is more fun to play but VF is technically speaking better. Both great fun tho (VF characters in DOA play exactly like VF)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm in the mood of playing XIII, but just found out it's not on Steam.
Why, Ubisoft? Why?

Even if it were available on Steam at some point it wouldn't be available now as it's a licensed game. It's is one of the (relatively) few titles that GOG has lost over time.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Lots of people in the gaf goty thread saying it was a mediocre year...
A couple of AAA games that were hyped to hell and back turn out disappointing = bad year.

People in the GOTY thread thought that there was a Bayonetta 2 secret agenda to overthrow Dragon Age: Inquisition as the game with the most votes.

I don't think the GOTY thread is entirely reasonable.

And then the quality of mods. Holy shit the quality. Just check the Remember Me one.

I didn't know that Nilin was made out of plastic.

Chariot

I'm in the mood of playing XIII, but just found out it's not on Steam.
Why, Ubisoft? Why?

Even if it were available on Steam at some point it wouldn't be available now as it's a licensed game. It's is one of the (relatively) few titles that GOG has lost over time.

That game was also delisted from gog some months ago.
What a shame >.< Luckily I have a game CD lying around here somewhere, but its so bad that future generations will have trouble to ever enjoy the great game.

I was playing KoF '98 UM FE locally earlier today and was having so much fun, the game had some slowdowns but it may be related to my old ass laptop.

yeah, i really think radiant historia was onto something

i hope more games try that sort of stuff in the future

I enjoyed Radiant Historia, even though the battles...hmm...let's say they take getting used to. But when it comes to the choices you make, even screwing up and hitting a bad end is basically a learning experience and goes toward full completion of the game. Also, you CAN get bad ends that don't involve failing QTEs.

Hay guys, Ive given things alot of thought and next year I am planning to go on a videogame and internet hiatus for a whole year. Ill still be playing games, but im not going to be active in forums etc nor will I be buying anything new/playing multi-player anything. I'm also cutting my home Internet off and will only have my phones data plan for emergencies.

I'm hording a bunch of games in this steam sale, but it just occurred to me :- Can you even be in steam offline mode for a full year? If not, when doing a occasional "check-in" with steam via my phone tethered, how much MB is steam going to need for verification?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom