• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December II 2014 - A thread for people who don't like sale side posters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FloatOn

Easy makes the countering easier (larger window) which I really appreciated because I'm pretty bad at action games. And the game is still an amazing ride.

yeah agreed. I'm beginning to understand my limitations when it comes to video games despite playing them since I was 5.

I'm all for a good challenge and riding a learning curve but there comes a point where frustration just kills the fun.

this sale sucks
it suuuuucks

that one game which released two weeks ago is not 90% off
what the hell?

SonicDerp.gif

A birdie told me that activating russian copies with VPN is working just fine.
wasn't that method talked here several times and the consensus being that the risk of account banning being much, much higher than vpn-key activation?

then again, you seem to be very confident... please do tell more
obama_interested_puts_hand_on_.gif

Got South Park: TSoT and Wolfenstein: TNO for about $15 each outside of Steam's sale and I have 0 regrets. I've been enjoying them both. So far the only game I got with the Steam sale is ACIV: Black Flag.

Ventara

wasn't that method talked here several times and the consensus being that the risk of account banning being much, much higher than vpn-key activation?

I thought most people thought that VPN gift activation was fine, with VPN buying of games being the big no-no?

I personally don't do it, since I don't want to take the risk, just in case. But even JaseC seems to think it's relatively safe, with there being no one here that can come up with anyone being banned for VPN gift activation.

Unless there's been a recent change?

What would happen if your account gets banned... you lose... everything, permanently? Is that even... legal?

You can still play your games. Buying and trading is banned.

MUnited83

For you.

then again, you seem to be very confident... please do tell more
obama_interested_puts_hand_on_.gif

Oh yeah, I would say that it's pretty risky. I'm just talking about the conversation people were having in the previous page, where it was discussed if Valve somehow made VPN activation impossible.

I have a friend that activated locked stuff like half an hour ago so I can tell you it's working just fine in that regard.

What would happen if your account gets banned... you lose... everything, permanently? Is that even... legal?

That's what used to happen, but no more. Now your account just gets limited for a set ammount of time.(and during that time you can't use steam community, purchase or activate games, etc. But you can play your library)

This sale actually sucks for three reasons:

Russian bear is dead
Less games on sale overall
crappy discounts on the ones that are.

While I hate it, I could deal a bit with the Russian bear being locked away in its cage forever. I could also deal with Community Flashes every 12 hours instead of 8 (makes me go to sleep early instead of waiting until 5am EST for a potential price error).

However, a lot less games on sale (no Ikaruga discount, fuck off Valve), having a single game instead of a group of games in a Community Flash, and the discounts are crappy most of all. One of the less memorable Steam sales events I have ever witnessed.

I sell Russian eyeball, pass retina scan every time.

No problem.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if there was an Amiibo that somehow magically can bypass the region lock from RU when scanned? I'd start collecting them.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
However, a lot less games on sale (no Ikaruga discount, fuck off Valve), having a single game instead of a group of games in a Community Flash, and the discounts are crappy most of all. One of the less memorable Steam sales events I have ever witnessed.

Can't tell if you are serious but Valve aren't the ones responsible for the discounts.

Anustart

Oh man, Limbo was such an amazing experience. Still waiting for their next game to come out. How old is your daughter, though? Limbo has some pretty deep and grotesque themes.

She's 10. She really only caught some fall deaths and none of the worst stuff. Such as impalings, sawings, dead somethings, and such.

Edit: I've also purchased nothing this sale, though that has more to do with finances than sale prices. Was going to get my daughter the two new Pokemon games and let her pick, but even that fell through and wont be feasible.

But on the upside, I got a new job starting on the 13th, though I seemingly got fired from my current job right before Christmas for putting in a months notice. They just stopped giving me any hours at all. Really sucks at Christmas time. But it'll get better next month as I'll be making 4 times what I currently make.

Oh yeah, I would say that it's pretty risky. I'm just talking about the conversation people were having in the previous page, where it was discussed if Valve somehow made VPN activation impossible.

I have a friend that activated locked stuff like half an hour ago so I can tell you it's working just fine in that regard.

That's what used to happen, but no more. Now your account just gets limited for a set ammount of time.(and during that time you can't use steam community, purchase or activate games, etc. But you can play your library)

Doesn't sound too bad, especially if it's a limited time.

So I'm running Valkyria Chronicles at 2560x1440 (Bootcamp Mac), FRAPS shows the FPS counter of 45 during battle, yet they go like in slow-motion.

Help?

ah. too risky for me.
but i'd appreciate updates on your "friend" ;)
I sell Russian eyeball, pass retina scan every time.
No problem.
anything on the mail-order bride front?

bummer. booster prices dropped a lot lately.
even the gemflation ain't helping against it.
no more than 3cents profit means i'm out.

let's see what i can pull with the handful of bucks i have left.

Ban Puncher

$2.99 for Colonial Marines? Let's check out this shit show.

Which DLC do I need to pick up and which to miss to avoid doubling up because of Season Pass shenanigans?

Spyware

Little brother is visiting and said he wanted The Vanishing of Ethan Carter. I told him to play my copy through family sharing and watched him play through the whole game in one sitting (just like I did at release :D). Loved it this time through too. Also went back to my own save to finish up the cheevos that didn't register when they patched them in
+ getting that sniper rifle that we found when my brother played :D

Btw, I wish the sale was worse (yeah, right) because I have managed to buy about 20 games so far with lots left on the wishlist. It's crazy this year since I'm trying to catch up on 2014 releases (to play early next year) rather than "pay as little as possible".

Lomax

bummer. booster prices dropped a lot lately.
even the gemflation ain't helping against it.
no more than 3cents profit means i'm out.

let's see what i can pull with the handful of bucks i have left.

I haven't sold a single card since the sale started, everyone immediately went into sale mode as they always do. I do feel like Sacks of Gems will be a decent long term investment if they get down to 40 cents or so though.

Articalys

It still astonishes me how the introduction of the gems and booster creator has devalued nearly everything in the market that was previously at least somewhat valuable by practically half. I try not to think too much about all the potential profit I've missed out on over the years from not being a heavy PC gamer and being able to sell things when they were at their max value, because if I dwell on it for too long it starts to eat away at my soul.

It still astonishes me how the introduction of the gems and booster creator has devalued nearly everything in the market that was previously at least somewhat valuable by practically half. I try not to think too much about all the potential profit I've missed out on over the years from not being a heavy PC gamer and being able to sell things when they were at their max value, because if I dwell on it for too long it starts to eat away at my soul.

By the same token, backgrounds and emoticons that were previously going for 3 cents are now going for 5 or 6. Every valley made high and every mountain made low, sort of thing. I imagine in the long run as more supply is created, prices will sink back down to 3 cents and gem sacks will plateau at 30, at least until another auction happens and it starts all over again.

A birdie told me that activating russian copies with VPN is working just fine.

what would happen if i buy and activate a russian game with vpn from a 2nd account and then share the games from that account to my account?? , would my account have any risk of a ban or only the account that i used to activate the game??

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Yeah it looks fun! I'm surprised it's getting a PS4 port though I guess indies/doujin games are becoming a console thing in Japan now too.

I'll be keeping my eye on it in case something happens with price drops but it seems fun. Also I have a thing for fighting games tbh.

what would happen if i buy and activate a russian game with vpn from a 2nd account and then share the games from that account to my account?? , would my account have any risk of a ban or only the account that i used to activate the game??

This-Is-Gonna-Be-Good-Creeper-Bird-Popcorn.gif

MUnited83

For you.

I believe region locked copies are not shareable. And buying with a VPN is a definitive no-no.

quick question.

if i buy a game which is labeled as "low violence version" but buy it as a gift and send it to a friend where there is no censored version, does my friend get the censored game or uncensored?

Articalys

By the same token, backgrounds and emoticons that were previously going for 3 cents are now going for 5 or 6. Every valley made high and every mountain made low, sort of thing. I imagine in the long run as more supply is created, prices will sink back down to 3 cents and gem sacks will plateau at 30, at least until another auction happens and it starts all over again.
I suppose, but there's quite a difference in scale there; comparing a speed bump in the road being raised up by about a foot, to Mount Everest becoming no taller than your average mountain in the Rockies.

denx

Honestly I'm glad Valve didn't go with a crazy metagame this sale. As for the discounts, I don't think it's so much they're crappy but rather that I already have most of the stuff I'm interested in and the stuff I don't have is too recent to have a deep discount. I also bought a TON of stuff in the Autumn sale, so I'm not spending much in this sale as a result
I also just bought a 3DS + Pokemon Alpha Sappire so that cut into my budget x(

Thus far I've only bought Ground Zeroes, Sam & Max Season 1 and 2, and Blade Symphony + the Mass Effect Collection and Rise of Nations for some friends. However I'm pretty happy with the few purchases I've made because OH MY GOD GUYS GROUND ZEROES IS SO GOOD SERIOUSLY WHERE IS THE PHANTOM PAIN KOJIMA PLS

I suppose, but there's quite a difference in scale there; comparing a speed bump in the road being raised up by about a foot, to Mount Everest becoming no taller than your average mountain in the Rockies.

One is halved, one is doubled. I'd say the proportion is about the same. :)

101.gif

Just messing with ya

Good luck, I know it's something I'd have great difficulty doing.

Thanks. Honestly, it sounds like a contradiction, but its not.

Like most of GAF I seem to spend far more time, being up to date with videogames and discussing them then I actually play them. Sometimes I go days, even weeks without picking up a controller, but im here and other places for multiple hours everyday.

If I was just playing games in "gaming" time, with no other stuff, ill average out at a maybe about 1 to 2 hours a day at most. That's my goal.

Hopefully it will allow me to be alot less cynical about my hobby too. Win/Win.

Likewise 95% my of internet use is looking, reading and following nonsense. I'm just paying for something to waste my time with. 2015 is already shaping up to be a great year and Im doing everything in my power to make sure that happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom