• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December II 2014 - A thread for people who don't like sale side posters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Hay guys, Ive given things alot of thought and next year I am planning to go on a videogame and internet hiatus for a whole year. Ill still be playing games, but im not going to be active in forums etc nor will I be buying anything new/playing multi-player anything. I'm also cutting my home Internet off and will only have my phones data plan for emergencies.

I'm hording a bunch of games in this steam sale, but it just occurred to me :- Can you even be in steam offline mode for a full year? If not, when doing a occasional "check-in" with steam via my phone tethered, how much MB is steam going to need for verification?

Offline Mode has no time limit. Just make sure that you have no updates pending when you make the switch as those games will be unplayable if Steam knows that their builds are out of date.

Offline Mode has no time limit. Just make sure that you have no updates pending when you make the switch as those games will be unplayable if Steam knows that their builds are out of date.

Yeah, Ive read that steam used to be pretty bad at this but hopefully now they have all the issues out.

In the very worse case scenario, ill just buy a Pay as you go dongle.

thanks.

Anustart

This fight against metal gear excelciorviator in MGR is pissing me off. First we get a seemingly undodgeable double over hand smash that he does, no matter if I run right, left, or even in between the blades, it hits! And I do .1 % damage per hit SOMETIMES, a lot of the time you do no damage.

Like my ride? WORTH EVERY PENNY! Sick of hearing that :/

AsfaeksBR

Even if it were available on Steam at some point it wouldn't be available now as it's a licensed game. It's is one of the (relatively) few titles that GOG has lost over time.

That game was also delisted from gog some months ago.

Wait, I remember one game that was pulled from Steam that was also pulled from every owners's account. Would it also be the case with XIII? Or would it be like Riddick?
I was gonna say Wheelman, but that would make Jase sad

JaseC

Yeah, Ive read that steam used to be pretty bad at this but hopefully now they have all the issues out.

In the very worse case scenario, ill just buy a Pay as you go dongle.

thanks.

These days you have to be exceptionally unlucky for Offline Mode not to work properly. That's not to say it's perfect -- it still plays up for people here and there -- but after Valve finally patched it in 2012, I recreated every situation I could remember where it didn't work and despite my best efforts couldn't "break" it.

autoduelist

Hay guys, Ive given things alot of thought and next year I am planning to go on a videogame and internet hiatus for a whole year. Ill still be playing games, but im not going to be active in forums etc nor will I be buying anything new/playing multi-player anything. I'm also cutting my home Internet off and will only have my phones data plan for emergencies.

I'm hording a bunch of games in this steam sale, but it just occurred to me :- Can you even be in steam offline mode for a full year? If not, when doing a occasional "check-in" with steam via my phone tethered, how much MB is steam going to need for verification?

Good luck, sir. I often consider doing this, though maybe quitting games while I'm at it. I've been 'off games' and internet before, but it's hard given my situation right now. I do miss the feeling of being mostly off the grid.

Ruruja

101.gif

Just messing with ya

Good luck, I know it's something I'd have great difficulty doing.

Turfster

Sigh. Got further in Bulletstorm, now it's downloading the profile "wrong" and isn't continuing.
Fuck you Microsoft. Fuck. You.

JaseC

Wait, I remember one game that was pulled from Steam that was also pulled from every owners's account. Would it also be the case with XIII? Or would it be like Riddick?
I was gonna say Wheelman, but that would make Jase sad

Squeenix removing Order of War: Challenge from user accounts was partially reversed by Valve (it was re-added to the Challenge-specific subs). The game is Steamworks but a cursory search suggests that retail keys have dried up.

Ruruja

Squeenix removing Order of War: Challenge from user accounts was partially reversed by Valve (it was re-added to the Challenge-specific subs). The game is Steamworks but a cursory search suggests that retail keys have dried up.

I was just perusing my games list earlier and came across Realms of Arkania. I clicked 'Store Page' to see what it was and it seems it's been removed from Steam, do you know why? It seems odd.

Locust

http://plati.ru/asp/pay.asp?id_d=1476645

I don't think it said RU CIS when I bought one of these a year ago or something, but for 70 rub its probably worth a shot if any collector wants it :p
Don't see any RU specific subs of it in the database either.

Turfster

WinGameStore flash deal Endless Legend Emperor Pack 50% off
Gamesplanet dailies
  • Spec Ops The Line 80% off
  • Deponia Complete 75% off
Games Republic dailies
  • This War of Mine 25% off
  • Spintires 50% off
  • Anomaly franchise 80% off
  • I Shall Remain 33% off
  • Last Inua 25% off
  • Euro Truck Simulator Franchise 75% off
  • Sengoku 75% off
  • March of the Eagles 75% off
  • Teleglitch 75% off
  • Magicka 75% off
  • Showdown Effect 75% off
  • Tomb Raider Underworld 50% off

Re: The whole Russ-Ruble crackdown

Gifts are region-locked. But are Keys locked?
(specifically; http://plati.ru/asp/pay.asp?id_d=1371040)

Depends on the key, but most Russian keys are locked, at least at the activation level.
If they aren't locked at runtime level then you should be allowed to activate them using VPN (nobody ever got banned for that when activating KEYS)

Check on steamdb for the onlyallowrunincountries tag.

The Borderlands 2 RU preorder sub has the onlyallowrunincountries tag applied, while the others don't. Still, you should find out if they don't have languages cut or something like that, it's also a possibility with Russian keys.

JaseC

Re: The whole Russ-Ruble crackdown

Gifts are region-locked. But are Keys locked?
(specifically; http://plati.ru/asp/pay.asp?id_d=1371040)

The matter of keys being region-locked hasn't changed, with the exception of gift copies earned by the activation of a multi-pack key. In your case, the Borderlands 2 RU retail sub is a stone's throw from being region-free (you'll need to use an RU VPN to activate the key, but that's it).

The Borderlands 2 RU preorder sub has the onlyallowrunincountries tag applied, while the others don't.

The post-release sub is also locked at the runtime level. Interestingly enough, though, the GOTY sub is not.

The matter of keys being region-locked hasn't changed, with the exception of gift copies earned by the activation of a multi-pack key. In your case, the Borderlands 2 RU retail sub is a stone's throw from being region-free (you'll need to use an RU VPN to activate the key, but that's it).

The post-release sub is also locked at the runtime level. Interestingly enough, though, the GOTY sub is not.

Ah, I missed that one. Looking for stuff in key subs always makes me dizzy.

cicero

Does nuuvem give you any notice about limitations of any kind that lets you determine which games require special VPN activation? I am skittish about going that far.

bigzgod

Only at the activation level, which, in practice, isn't really an issue.

I would never advocate the use of a VPN personally, though Valve seems to care far less about using a VPN to activate keys than they do gifts. My personal opinion is that if he's going to buy BL2 base for $4, he might as well pay another $6 and get all the dlc plus the added security of not needing a VPN.

Unit24

Hm, is Metro 2033 Redux worth it? I've heard mixed things about it. I have the original game, but getting it to run decently is weirdly difficult.

JaseC

Does nuuvem give you any notice about limitations of any kind that lets you determine which games require special VPN activation? I am skittish about going that far.

Not really. Some product pages mention that the game is region-locked and some products can't be added to the cart of an international customer, but in many cases they don't actually mean that the keys themselves are region-locked, at any level.

I would never advocate the use of a VPN personally, though Valve seems to care far less about using a VPN to activate keys than they do gifts. My personal opinion is that if he's going to buy BL2 base for $4, he might as well pay another $6 and get all the dlc plus the added security of not needing a VPN.

I can understand people being hesitant. I was just clarifying that "[region-]locked", in this case, doesn't mean "requires a VPN to run", which is what people generally assume when the term is used by itself.

bigzgod

I can understand people being hesitant. I was just clarifying that "[region-]locked", in this case, doesn't mean "requires a VPN to run", which is what people generally assume when the term is used by itself.

Fair point.

What's weird is that I'm kinda curious if using a VPN to activate will actually still work. Someone I know claimed that he wasn't able to activate a Russian steam gift with multiple different VPNs very recently, like a day or two ago. I haven't heard any confirmation yet on the topic but if that's true, I wonder if it would also apply to keys as well. Tried all the tricks in the book according to him. Possibly a mechanic to block activation if your IP suddenly goes from one country to Russia in a matter of minutes?

JaseC

Fair point.

What's weird is that I'm kinda curious if using a VPN to activate will actually still work. Someone I know claimed that he wasn't able to activate a Russian steam gift with multiple different VPNs very recently, like a day or two ago. I haven't heard any confirmation yet on the topic but if that's true, I wonder if it would also apply to keys as well. Tried all the tricks in the book according to him. Possibly a mechanic to block activation if your IP suddenly goes from one country to Russia in a matter of minutes?

You have to restart Steam after activating a VPN for your region to change. That's what the "Updating Steam information..." window refers to.

Edit: Also, having a second instance of Steam running, either the client itself or the mobile app, will prevent your region from changing (not that I'm advocating the use of a VPN to activate gifts since doing so could very well draw Valve's ire).

bigzgod

You have to restart Steam after activating a VPN for your region to change. That's what the "Updating Steam information..." window refers to.

Edit: Also, having a second instance of Steam running, either the client itself or the mobile app, will prevent your region from changing (not that I'm advocating the use of a VPN to activate gifts since doing so could very well draw Valve's ire).

I frankly have no clue. Just thought it was interesting, since it's not his first time activating RU locked games according to him, so I imagine he'd know all that it entails.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom