• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck OLED Announced: Coming November 16

sendit

I hate that you only paid $28.86 in tax lol, I just paid $90 CDN on tax for my 512gb.

Sad Tb GIF by Hide The Pain Harold
The cost of having universal healthcare in your country (not the only factor).

We don't have that here (US). The poor die in favor or lower taxes.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Health care sucks dick here, I've been waiting on an appointment for an exam for 8 months now and they have no openings until July next year. I'd opt out if I could and pay to actually get treated.

I actually travel to my country of origin for medical treatments if in a hurry (thankfully not often) because at least you'll get treated there.

I also tried to get my family doctor to take in my wife as a patient and he refused because he's retiring, we've been trying to find her a doctor for over a year to no avail, the other day we were at the optometrist and he was telling us his family doctor moved to the US 3 years ago and he hasn't been able to get another ever since lol.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
I came prepared for this after dealing with ps5 shortages. You just have to be willing to brute force refresh and click through every error, finally got it after 30m of key bashing
I tried that, after the tenth bash it told me 'I'd bought too much, try later' :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Steam or PayPal was shitting the bed badly for me over 90 minutes..

Ozriel

M$FT
Last time they had a $5 reservation price so for those that reserved it was a smoother process.

Nah, that made no difference at all. It was messed up for everyone, including those that put down the $5. Me included.

Last time was even worse because even a 10 minute delay pushed Back delivery for months.

Only benefit now is that the semiconductor shortage is over and they’ve got a largish launch allocation.

graywolf323

What 2 TB SSD will you be going with? Looking for some options now
to my knowledge the top 3 now are the Sabrent Rocket, the WD Black SN770M, and the Seagate Firecuda 520N

they’re all around $200, there’s cheaper ones out there like Micron or the WD Blue SN740M which should be fine for the Steam Deck since it doesn’t take advantage of the PCIe 4.0 speeds

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Nah, that made no difference at all. It was messed up for everyone, including those that put down the $5. Me included.

Last time was even worse because even a 10 minute delay pushed Back delivery for months.

Only benefit now is that the semiconductor shortage is over and they’ve got a largish launch allocation.
Yeah this is far superior than last time, issues and all.

My first deck took almost a year to ship, this one says 3-5 days lol

Fess

Tbh I don’t dare to celebrate until I see that the package has been sent… But so far things are looking great. Best handheld is about to get even better!

Probably unwise but I’ll use the old one to upgrade the kids to PC gamers.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
30 minutes of inconvenience feels like nothing compared to the RTX 3080 launch holy shit. Nvidia page immediately went down and by the time it came back up they were all out of stock. I don’t think a single human shopper got one.

CobraAB

to my knowledge the top 3 now are the Sabrent Rocket, the WD Black SN770M, and the Seagate Firecude 520N

they’re all around $200, there’s cheaper ones out there like Micron or the WD Blue SN740M which should be fine for the Steam Deck since it doesn’t take advantage of the PCIe 4.0 speeds
Quite unfortunate the makers of the 2230 drives are raping people.

graywolf323

raping? 🤨 it’s not that much more expensive than equivalent 2280s for a size that assuredly has a much smaller market demand

e.g. the Seagate Firecuda 530 2TB 2280 is $160 right now on Amazon while the Firecuda 520 2TB 2230 is $190

plus just ~2 years ago a 2TB 2280 would have cost $400+

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
very proud i said no.. i have the old one..
got the ps portal

next year i will get the spec bump deck
jeff gerstman made me wait,

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
raping? 🤨 it’s not that much more expensive than equivalent 2280s for a size that assuredly has a much smaller market demand

e.g. the Seagate Firecuda 530 2TB 2280 is $160 right now on Amazon while the Firecuda 520 2230 is $190

Yeah, when the Deck first came out, a 1TB 2230 was pushing around $160. If you could find it, that is. Most people had to order repurposed Surface Pro SSDs from AliExpress.

Should get deals for 2TB in the $150 range by Black Friday.

Yeah, when the Deck first came out, a 1TB 2230 was pushing around $160. If you could find it, that is. Most people had to order repurposed Surface Pro SSDs from AliExpress.

If you have a Microcenter close their in house brand is currently $149. Never had any issues with their products.

poodaddy

Gold Member
Tbh I don’t dare to celebrate until I see that the package has been sent… But so far things are looking great. Best handheld is about to get even better!

Probably unwise but I’ll use the old one to upgrade the kids to PC gamers.
I got one for my daughter a while back and she absolutely loves it, and I gotta admit I've been surprised with how good she's been with it. I really impressed upon her the importance of taking care of this type of hardware, and she's been utterly fantastic with it. It's been a great learning experience for her too.

CobraAB

e.g. the Seagate Firecuda 530 2TB 2280 is $160 right now on Amazon while the Firecuda 520 2TB 2230 is $190

You can get some 2 TB 2280’s for like half the price.

Don’t need a PS5 level SSD in a Steam Deck.

Tygeezy

If you're poor you can get medicaid. In California it is called medi-cal and it actually covers just about everything. I was laid off and went on medi-cal and was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes around the same time. They covered everything for me including Insulin which is extremely expensive if you have to pay for it. I've since moved on and have excellent insurance through my employer, but my care was generally good when I was poor on medi-cal.

bender

What time is it?
Yes I will indeed be comparing them both to see if its worth keeping, but for now the Portal is here and the Deck is not :)

I dicked around with Chiaki last night. I'd say ever lap in Le Mans (~4:30 lap time) I'd get a white screen flicker but otherwise it was smooth sailing. I'm going to return my Portal.

Tygeezy

Portal return window is until january 11th thanks to the holidays extended policy, its all calculated.

(If the deck doesnt come by january valve better refund me lol!)
I just read that it is an LCD screen with wifi 5. That device belongs in the trash can. The Deck oled will stomp all over it. If you have a good pc it's going to be doing fairly low latency HDR game streaming via moonlight as well as ps remote.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

I just read that it is an LCD screen with wifi 5. That device belongs in the trash can. The Deck oled will stomp all over it.
I dicked around with Chiaki last night. I'd say ever lap in Le Mans (~4:30 lap time) I'd get a white screen flicker but otherwise it was smooth sailing. I'm going to return my Portal.

Yup, Ill end up returning if Chiaki performs well.

I dont have my old deck anymore.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I just read that it is an LCD screen with wifi 5. That device belongs in the trash can. The Deck oled will stomp all over it. If you have a good pc it's going to be doing fairly low latency HDR game streaming via moonlight as well as ps remote.

Most reports say the LCD screen is really nice and it is hard to throw stones when the Deck's LCD screen was one of the weaker aspects of the device.

Sleepwalker

I could never set up moonlight on my old deck, reddit kept telling me to use sunshine? I think. But I couldnt wrap my head around it, looking forward to giving it another chance.

StereoVsn

You can get Micron for that right now on Amazon. Don’t really need anything faster. I kind of want the new Deck but holding off strong, lol.

Might pop my RoG Ally and Deck 1.0 on eBay just to see.

I was very close to giving in but ended up buying a Legion Go instead. I think I'll wait for Valve to actually release an actual Deck 2. Honestly surprised that the limited edition OLED is available even now. I thought that thing will be scalped to hell.

Tygeezy

Most reports say the LCD screen is really nice and it is hard to throw stones when the Deck's LCD screen was one of the weaker aspects of the device.
I'm sure it's nice compared to the original decks LCD, but 90hz oled is going to stomp all over any lcd display.

Tygeezy

I could never set up moonlight on my old deck, reddit kept telling me to use sunshine? I think. But I couldnt wrap my head around it, looking forward to giving it another chance.
I'm still able to use the nvidia's geforce experience from my main pc even though they supposedly dropped it's support for game streaming with moonlight.

Minsc

Gold Member
I'm sure it's nice compared to the original decks LCD, but 90hz oled is going to stomp all over any lcd display.

And HDR too! It'll take a little time, but the ability to get OLED + HDR streaming and also the ability to just play a shit ton of games natively on the device without streaming seems like a pretty nice benefit. I guess if you ONLY ever play PS5 games it doesn't offer as much - probably better off with the PSP then.

Top Bottom