• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck OLED Announced: Coming November 16

TaroYamada

I got the 512 because I don’t want the anti glare screen again

Didn’t want that limited edition anyway….

giphy.gif
Doesn't a glass screen protector fix the anti glare issues anyways?

coffinbirth

Doesn't a glass screen protector fix the anti glare issues anyways?
No, they typically add to the glare issues unless it is etched glass, but op specifically said they didn't want that type of screen, I assume because it dulls things a tad. Personally, I love it.

Edit; Wait, do you mean as in putting on a normal screen protector over the etched glass like in that video that was a reply to you?

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
No, they typically add to the glare issues unless it is etched glass, but op specifically said they didn't want that type of screen, I assume because it dulls things a tad. Personally, I love it.

Really? Most speak very negatively of it, including reviewers. I've never seen one up close so I don't really know.

sendit

Really? Most speak very negatively of it, including reviewers. I've never seen one up close so I don't really know.
It's personnel preference. I have matte screen protectors on my laptop, phone, ipad, car screen, etc. For me, a bit of sacrifice in screen vibrancy makes for better visibility. I'd rather see what is on screen, versus a reflection of myself/environment.

Minsc

Gold Member
It's personnel preference. I have matte screen protectors on my laptop, phone, ipad, car screen, etc. For me, a bit of sacrifice in screen vibrancy makes for better visibility. I'd rather see what is on screen, versus a reflection of myself/environment.

Switch OLED is glossy as hell and I don't have any trouble using it in my house. Same with my phone, sure when the screen is off it's reflective, but you aren't seeing any reflection on a bright screen while its on.

I did put an anti-glare protector on the LCD Deck - but the colors were bad on that screen from day 1. An OLED screen is basically perfection - I'll relish the colors as they are, and any reflections in night/unlit scenes so be it.

sendit

Switch OLED is glossy as hell and I don't have any trouble using it in my house. Same with my phone, sure when the screen is off it's reflective, but you aren't seeing any reflection on a bright screen while its on.

I did put an anti-glare protector on the LCD Deck - but the colors were bad on that screen from day 1. An OLED screen is basically perfection - I'll relish the colors as they are, and any reflections in night/unlit scenes so be it.
I want to maintain my eye health and prefer not to blast the brightness of a screen for visibility.

Minsc

Gold Member
I want to maintain my eye health and prefer not to blast the brightness of a screen for visibility.

True - I generally drop brightness a tad below default on most devices myself, generally I find after a few minutes you adjust pretty well to thinking it's bright again without being set high. Though my TV I like to get my money's worth and blast that to near max. But screens I look at all day definitely are dialed down a bit. I really just meant I don't notice reflections too much while the screen is on while I am using it. Occasionally when you hit a black loading screen I notice my reflection, but it's pretty minor for me, doesn't bother me much.

Fess

I got one for my daughter a while back and she absolutely loves it, and I gotta admit I've been surprised with how good she's been with it. I really impressed upon her the importance of taking care of this type of hardware, and she's been utterly fantastic with it. It's been a great learning experience for her too.
Yeah I think I’ll do it that way too. They use the Switch so I’m not too worried about them breaking it, same thing.

It could potentially lead to expensive follow up hardware though… My PC journey started in 2013 when I set up a Steam account for a lousy laptop and bought Marlow Briggs for like a dollar on a summer sale. 10 years later I have a 4090 PC. 😅
But I have some old stuff on the desktop PC side as well I guess could do something with if they do want to go that route.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Damn, same issues at launch. I'm just going to wait for SD2 but I am not looking forward to trying to get one at launch. Stupid store issues.

Sleepwalker

Between oled steam deck, quest 3 and portal, somethings gotta go back, spending too much. Will see soon I guess.

Im the same, Ive played around with the portal today, works well but I expected a tad more for the price, will go in depth in the portal thread.

For now, the portal is going back when my deck OLED gets here.

I managed to order a 1 TB OLED model after 25 minutes of failed attempts to process my order and I only managed it because I had one in the basket on Steam in my Edge browser and another in the basket in the Steam app. After 20 minutes I got past the address section to the credit card bit and then the final ordering part but after authorising the payment on my mobile banking app the transaction predictably failed... because the item was now out of stock!!! I then remembered the Steam order in Edge so I tried that and, lo and behold, I actually managed to successfully order that one, maybe because it was the first one I tried and the stock had been allocated.

Not sure how long it is for delivery as the Steam page originally showed 3-5 days but after ordering mine it changed to 6-10 days. There is no indication of how long I will have to wait on the actual order or the email I received but Steam have taken the full payment of £569.

DavidGzz

Same issues? you can literally go to the website and buy the OLED model right now, with estimated delivery of 6-10 days.

Talking about when the flood gates opened. I read all of the comments. I'm not paying $600 for an OLED, I have the LCD model so I'm going to wait for SD2. I just hope their servers are prepared next time.

Darko

Talking about when the flood gates opened. I read all of the comments. I'm not paying $600 for an OLED, I have the LCD model so I'm going to wait for SD2. I just hope their servers are prepared next time.
I realized I’m paying nearly $800 cad for a steam deck.. and changed my mind. I’ll wait for the reviews of the 512gb before I buy it. It’s not like it’s out of stock or going anywhere.

Last edited:
I managed to snag one of these when the delivery time was 3-5 business days. Hoping that rings true as it would be good to get going with this next week. Looking forward to emulating my Switch games on it, I'll give the Switch to my daughter then.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
What? I've watched their video and the gave the SD OLED a 9. Is this a parallel universe?
It's a mockery I make of the inconsistencies that IGN makes... I know it's not really that rating. But it made me fun on how he has to give a score that doesn't really reflect reality.

Just look at the example of Asus rog vs Playstation portal.

We all know that they set a high score so that the magazine gaming looks good with the Playstation brand.

I have a Playstation 5, but I see the Playstation portal as a big piece of garbage peripheral.

Filben

It's a mockery I make of the inconsistencies that IGN makes... I know it's not really that rating. But it made me fun on how he has to give a score that doesn't really reflect reality.

We all know that they set a high score so that the magazine gaming looks good with the Playstation brand.

I have a Playstation 5, but I see the Playstation portal as a big piece of garbage peripheral.
I see. It's sometimes hard to get this kind of irony with text only. Thanks for clarifying.

poodaddy

Gold Member
Yeah I think I’ll do it that way too. They use the Switch so I’m not too worried about them breaking it, same thing.

It could potentially lead to expensive follow up hardware though… My PC journey started in 2013 when I set up a Steam account for a lousy laptop and bought Marlow Briggs for like a dollar on a summer sale. 10 years later I have a 4090 PC. 😅
But I have some old stuff on the desktop PC side as well I guess could do something with if they do want to go that route.
I know what ya mean brethren. Roughly the same time period for me, I think I started 2011 for those Steam sales, got a crappy laptop to play stuff, and then it just kind of evolved over time. I wish I could swing that 4090, but the new price trends for PC hardware have kind of locked me out of the higher end market. Hoping to get a 4080 Super at some point though, but for now the 2080 is still keeping up. I never get to play on our desktop anymore anyways due to my wife always using it for her studies and our work. It's pretty much a work machine now.....hence why I'm excited for this Steam Deck OLED. When I saw how much my daughter loved it I've been kind of wanting one ever since lol.

Topher

Gold Member

Why are you even bringing up PS Portal here though? There are plenty of threads for that.

Out of interest, has anyone's status changed from processed payment yet? I assume they'll start shipping later today, but fuck, I don't even want to use my other Deck now I know this is coming lol.

acidagfc

Out of interest, has anyone's status changed from processed payment yet? I assume they'll start shipping later today, but fuck, I don't even want to use my other Deck now I know this is coming lol.
Nope.
Ordered mine within first hour, estimated delivery was 3-5 days. No movement so far.

Topher

Gold Member
Nearly 24hrs after launch and still available for purchase...wasn't expecting that.

Sleepwalker Sleepwalker called this one. I'm guessing demand isn't nearly as high as the first go as many are content with what they already have. Also, seems pretty obvious that Valve updated their supply chain to start making the new models while putting the old ones on clearance.

Kind of disappointed that they kept the low end unit with LCD though. I would have gladly paid $500 for a 256GB OLED. That's a more compelling offering to me than a $400 LCD model.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Sleepwalker Sleepwalker called this one. I'm guessing demand isn't nearly as high as the first go as many are content with what they already have. Also, seems pretty obvious that Valve updated their supply chain to start making the new models while putting the old ones on clearance.

Kind of disappointed that they kept the low end unit with LCD though. I would have gladly paid $500 for a 256GB OLED. That's a more compelling offering to me than a $400 LCD model.

I dont know, I think they had quite a few on hand. Valve had mentioned that supply was very good.

Watched another YouTube video last night with a lot of emulation and they highlighted just how every single game looked better.
Kind of reminds me of how when you get a new pair of really nice speakers, you get new value from your whole music collection.
Same probably goes here with the oled screen, it enhances value to everything your have.

Dr.D00p

Maybe quite a few potential customers want the lowdown on Switch 2 as well, before deciding whether to go for a Steam Deck OLED...

Last edited:
Nearly 24hrs after launch and still available for purchase...wasn't expecting that.
Its a revised model and everyone that wants one already purchased the first one or another PC handheld at this point.

Plus it’s not like it’s a cheap device and there is no trade in program to make it easier to swap out the old model.

Valve did mention they were confident in their stock and they are trying to get sells for the holidays, can’t do that if it’s sold out.

Top Bottom