• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | Discussion Thread - Everyone's favorite PC Platform

Tizoc

Does anyone use this Playnite software? Supposed to be a client-like program that'll show your GOG and Steam libraries etc.

Does anyone use this Playnite software? Supposed to be a client-like program that'll show your GOG and Steam libraries etc.

Want to know about this as well. Looks like a nice way to bring everything together.

Do games updates happen through playnite?
Do we still have to purchase new games by using the various clients?

Ascheroth

Played an hour of that Doki Doki Literature Club game and I don't think I'm a fan of visual novels. There were almost no choices for dialogues and no voice overs so all I was doing was pressing a button to advance to text. At the end of the "day" you get to choose some words for your poem but at the end of the 2nd day, the same words were presented, only in random order! I'll try a bit more but howlongtobeat says its a 6+ hour game so I don't know if I can manage that lol.
Well, they are called Visual Novels, so... reading is the main part in all of them.
Some have more choices, some have less, some have none at all.

Go read House in Fata Morgana.

I dont know why people always play horrible VNs to try to get into that genre.

I remember someone here wanted to get into that by playing the Sakura Games.

Well for starters Doki Doki is free and the file size is small. I currently have shit internet so I'll take whatever little I can get a hold of. The Sakura games were in a cheap bundle so I can see how some may start there.
A year or 2 back I put a few hours into Kitagawa Shoujo but it was too slow. I enjoy sitting down and reading a good book but when you're at a computer desk, I can only take so much clicking.

People have been recommending House of Fata Morgana but that is $30 CAD. That's a steep price when you're not entirely sure that genre is for you. I much prefer the Telltale games but there were more to do in them and the subject matter were different to these Japanese highschool settings.

Dinjoralo

God Eater 3 might be coming to Steam.

At least in the YouTube keywords its using PS4, PC and Xbox One. Funny though, because remember that it was totally a "mistake" when the one who uploaded the SAO vs Accel World trailer and it mentioned PC in the keywords?

Well, it certainly looks prettier. Is the combat still poo?

yuraya

Dang PUBG hit 1.996 million concurrent. This thing has got legs for days. Looks like Fortnite didn't hurt the playerbase in any way whatsoever. Really shows that this genre has so much room in it. I bet even a true AAA popular competitor wouldn't even bring it down. I can see like 3-4 large Battle Royale games coexisting successfully.

Uzzy

Doki Doki Literature Club! knows it's audience.

eOahYpz.png

Well fuck.

I have a seagate external HD (150GB) from over 10 yrs ago. Should I just throw it away? I'm assuming it's practically useless since it's so old and it's seagate.

Dang PUBG hit 1.996 million concurrent. This thing has got legs for days. Looks like Fortnite didn't hurt the playerbase in any way whatsoever. Really shows that this genre has so much room in it. I bet even a true AAA popular competitor wouldn't even bring it down. I can see like 3-4 large Battle Royale games coexisting successfully.

I'm actually surprised Ubisoft hasn't made a Battle Royale mode for The Division or Wildlands

Is there much of a difference? Don't you pick up weapons and fight to the last person, or is there like DayZ type persistence/hunger/stamina type stuff? I've never played it so I'm not sure.

There is a big difference, actually. While it's session based, everything else has more in common with DayZ than PUBG. There's AI, you gotta find heat sources, food, and a disease meter.
You can also play PVP (which includes AI enemies, plus hostile players) or PVE (can't hurt other Agents) and the goal is to escape, not to kill everyone else and be the last one standing.

prudislav

Long shot, but has anyone played Warhammer 40k Inquisitor Martyr? It's been a longtime dream to play a scifi/futuristic Diablo-like ARPG. It looks pretty good from videos, but $50 for the early access is a bit much imo.

Just curious if anyone has impressions.
to be honest last time i checked itlooked like reskin of their Van Helsing game to WH40k look , but made boring ... also online-only is huge downer for me,especially with such price

i feel like it'd take a very big revamp of both gameplay and story/character design for me to be interested in that series again

either that or falling into a hole of self loathing and depression that can only be remedied by killing time in the most unhealthiest of ways

few chances of the latter happening tho
Well, it certainly looks prettier. Is the combat still poo?
maybe they finally abandoned handhelds and went full-on nextgen hich was always a thing that was dragging the series down at least in my eyes

There is a big difference, actually. While it's session based, everything else has more in common with DayZ than PUBG. There's AI, you gotta find heat sources, food, and a disease meter.
You can also play PVP (which includes AI enemies, plus hostile players) or PVE (can't hurt other Agents) and the goal is to escape, not to kill everyone else and be the last one standing.

That's sounds pretty cool actually, thanks for the info.

yuraya

I'm actually surprised Ubisoft hasn't made a Battle Royale mode for The Division or Wildlands

I think its just too ambitious for Ubisoft to pull off with the current games they have on the market. Dropping 100+ players modes on a large map like Wildlands would make the game collapse on itself. Its probably just not designed for something like this. I'm sure they are working on something fresh and new from the ground up. Or maybe they are just planning some crappy forced DLC to try and maximize $$$. They should have done stand alone stuff with The Division DLC but they missed out on that opportunity. AAA companies are too slow to react and at times are just way out of touch with the gaming community.

Parsnip

I didn't want to taint my Steam account with that Doki Doki game, but I was curious anyway so I grabbed it from the site, and I guess it's pretty clever.
I wouldn't call it much of a horror game though.

But I think it broke?

I got to a point where everything gets deleted as the credits roll, after which the game complains about missing script, and says that I should install again. Which I did, but it still continues to complain about the missing script when I launch it, so I don't know if I missed something or what.

Cross-posting from the Zwei: II thread I made, which GAF's ignoring today because I guess trying to make the game less niche through effort doesn't work (and I pay attention to time zones for these posts!):

So after first talking with Tom @ XSEED and then getting a response form Sara @ XSEED just 15 minutes ago, I have some hot technical info about this release:

• The config launcher gives you resolutions auto-populated based on the detected GPU, with refresh rates (like 60Hz or 75Hz) tied to resolution choices
  • According to FRAPs, in-game movies run at 30 FPS while game inputs get a steady 60 FPS
  • Sara's working hard on getting animations, camera movement, and other graphics to run at 60 FPS, but this won't be ready until some time after launch

All I'm hoping for now is that launch players and reviewers either know about the FPS upgrade ahead of time, or that they find it's not a problem for the game anyway.

Ladekabel

Anyone here that can help me with the Steam Controller on a Macbook? I connected my Steam Controller to my Macbook and I can use it just fine in the client. Wanted to play Danganronpa HTH. In the launcher it gives me the option between M&K and Controller. I can choose controller but the hints for which buttons to press don't work. Can launch the game though. In the game I get the button prompts but I have to use the controller in mouse mode in game. And the cursor appears in the middle of the screen and can't be moved.

Have they said anything about getting Zwei Ein released?
Sara's implied that, because of things like Zwei!! using DirectX 5, the game would be quite difficult to get running on recent Windows using regular Steam/GOG APIs and modern conveniences. That game, as cool and deserving as it is, also can't get an HD upgrade for its 2D visuals because Falcom designed the art around 1024x768 or a similar 4:3 resolution. At best, it'd be a super cheap release or a freebie, but I don't think XSEED will bother at all unless Ilvard Insurrection outperforms expectations.

Tom also echoes the technical difficulties behind releasing Zwei!!, even though it wouldn't be hard to localize since a fan translation's done now and ready to license from the same people who gave Zwei: II in English to XSED. And he thinks 20k copies sold for Zwei: II would be a good result for the release.

Orgen

What's the last day to unsubscribe in Humble Monthly to not be charged for the next month? And is the 10% discount eligible for any Tuesday bundle that humble releases until the next monthly?

Tizoc

Sara's implied that, because of things like Zwei!! using DirectX 5, the game would be quite difficult to get running on recent Windows using regular Steam/GOG APIs and modern conveniences. That game, as cool and deserving as it is, also can't get an HD upgrade for its 2D visuals because Falcom designed the art around 1024x768 or a similar 4:3 resolution. At best, it'd be a super cheap release or a freebie, but I don't think XSEED will bother at all unless Ilvard Insurrection outperforms expectations.

Tom also echoes the technical difficulties behind releasing Zwei!!, even though it wouldn't be hard to localize since a fan translation's done now and ready to license from the same people who gave Zwei: II in English to XSED. And he thinks 20k copies sold for Zwei: II would be a good result for the release.

Hmm the gifts of Crom should be bountiful in coming months...

It's so weird because I had never heard of that game until the article/thread came out saying it broke the Dota 2 record for online players. I'm getting out of touch af.

zkylon

zkylewd
maybe they finally abandoned handhelds and went full-on nextgen hich was always a thing that was dragging the series down at least in my eyes
in my opinion god eater 1 at least in the version i played on steam is pretty garbage and i only played it cos sometimes you need something to mindlessly kill time with, so it's gonna take a pretty big change to make something decent out of that

user237

I have a seagate external HD (150GB) from over 10 yrs ago. Should I just throw it away? I'm assuming it's practically useless since it's so old and it's seagate.

You could use it as a backup drive for documents or for imaging a small SSD. Just don't use it as your only copy of anything important.

Top Bottom