• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | Discussion Thread - Everyone's favorite PC Platform

Zeneric

Just beat Cuphead in 3 hours, feel proud of myself for a first timer.

Really? According to How Long To Beat, takes 7 hours, average, to beat the game (main story only). If u rush the game (main story only also), it takes 5 hours, average.

I'm bad at Cuphead but, damn, is it fun.

Anyone play RimWorld? The latest posts I can find on GAF are from May or something. The game itself looks like it had its last update in June.

After seeing the Frostpunk and Industries of Titan stuff more recently, I've started to examine the city-building/management genre more closely.

In doing so, I've come to realize that it's a rather underdeveloped genre for how popular some of the games in it have become. While it has been cheap (and maybe in some bundles), Banished, which I consider to be representative of a revival in city-builders, has sold nearly 2 million copies on Steam. RimWorld, still in early access and rarely going on much of a discount, if at all, has sold nearly 800,000 copies at a price point $10 higher than Banished.

The latest entries in the Anno series, while retailing for significantly more, haven't done too poorly either considering the awful DRM.

Cities Skylines, while the data is screwy since it had a free weekend, should easily have owners in the millions, especially given that it has had some 300,000 players in the last two weeks.

So there's definitely a sizable market, especially for fresh, polished takes.

I'm kind of interested in maybe trying to develop a game in the genre now...

So yeah, thoughts on RimWorld? (And wasn't there some controversy involving the developer of the game and gender roles in the game, IIRC?)

Sarcasm

Anyone play RimWorld? The latest posts I can find on GAF are from May or something. The game itself looks like it had its last update in June.

After seeing the Frostpunk and Industries of Titan stuff more recently, I've started to examine the city-building/management genre more closely.

In doing so, I've come to realize that it's a rather underdeveloped genre for how popular some of the games in it have become. While it has been cheap (and maybe in some bundles), Banished, which I consider to be representative of a revival in city-builders, has sold nearly 2 million copies on Steam. RimWorld, still in early access and rarely going on much of a discount, if at all, has sold nearly 800,000 copies at a price point $10 higher than Banished.

The latest entries in the Anno series, while retailing for significantly more, haven't done too poorly either considering the awful DRM.

Cities Skylines, while the data is screwy since it had a free weekend, should easily have owners in the millions, especially given that it has had some 300,000 players in the last two weeks.

So yeah, thoughts on RimWorld? (And wasn't there some controversy involving the developer of the game and gender roles in the game, IIRC?)

I recommend it. Also look at lif forest village, it is like banished.

Parsnip

The Mad Warrior wasn't a bad grind because there's a hilarious "cheat" to know if he spawned or not. You can check the game on the task manager after you sit at a bonfire. If it suddenly jumps by 10MB, it means Mad Warrior has spawned. If he didn't, keep sitting at the bonfire until he does.

Eh, that doesn't sound very fun.
But maybe I'll go back to it at some point.
I mean it's not like I didn't grind that god damn pure bladestone in Demon's Souls, now that was some horseshit.

Grief.exe

Rimworld is amazing, be ready to get sucked in.

Brazil wasn't affected, thankfully. But wow, the game is actually more expensive in Russia than in the US. How well will it sell there, I wonder...

Price got lower here in the Philippines (about $4 USD less). I feel ripped off, but at least I got me some pre order sweets.

It's back to the original price now. I guess that was indeed an error.

WRtygrt.png

I read an article earlier that the devs of Hellblade are donating all proceeds from today's sales (10/10) to a UK based mental health charity. As someone who has lived with mental illness for over two decades (though "just" depression and anxiety, not psychosis), I can really appreciate that.
I have $25ish in my Steam account, so I'm considering spending a few dollars and picking up the game. Anyone have any experience with it on a weaker system? I'm using an i7 Alienware Steam Machine. I did watch a few minute YouTube video of someone with the same system (I think), and it seemed to run surprisingly well at 1080p.

Also, how difficult is the game?

Jimrpg

I remember the cities skylines devs saying it had surpassed 1m sales so it’s definitely more than that and it’s always been a very reasonable price for the base game too.

I think the building genre is having a bit of a renaissance at the moment, we’ve just had 4 or 5 theme park games on Steam over the past year and there’s strategy games like Factorio, Project Highrise and Big Pharma.

Early Star Wars tickets and early Mordor in the same night, not bad.
Thanks for posting this by the way, here I was waiting for actual halftime before checking and luckily I saw this post earlier to see that tickets were on sale. I got the last decent set of tickets (middle) for the early showing.

Kaleinc

Banned
I've never understood the distate for Dark Souls 2 'cause it's my favourite Souls game by a fair margin.
Even regular enemies in DS1 had more work put into them than even bosses in DS2.
It's like you run into The Last Giant and roll eyes - eff me and then the whole game is like that.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I read an article earlier that the devs of Hellblade are donating all proceeds from today's sales (10/10) to a UK based mental health charity. As someone who has lived with mental illness for over two decades (though "just" depression and anxiety, not psychosis), I can really appreciate that.
I have $25ish in my Steam account, so I'm considering spending a few dollars and picking up the game. Anyone have any experience with it on a weaker system? I'm using an i7 Alienware Steam Machine. I did watch a few minute YouTube video of someone with the same system (I think), and it seemed to run surprisingly well at 1080p.

There are difficulty settings for the combat so you can scale that down as you wish.

I loved Dark Souls 2's character creation. You barely had to do a thing to have an actual human looking person. Really nice hair options too.

I find it the weakest of the bunch mostly because it has some real nagging issues that make it negatively stand out, like the lack of invincibility on backstabs -- which would be fine if you could cancel out of it, but this makes a humourous enemy tactic of one exposing their back to you while another bludgeons you as you're stuck in the animation a thing. The generally spammy enemy spawns weren't that great, the enemy despawning was really annoying when it came to rare loot drops too, and of course soul memory just really threw a needless wrench into the online play.

Jadax

In my opinion too DS2 was the weakest in the series. Everything seemed so linear and bleh, which was a big disappointment coming from the 'openness' of the previous game. For all the hate DS1 got for online, I actually had the most fun in it. I still remember getting randomly invaded all over the place (and mostly just running and hiding).

DS3 was much more fun, but I only played it at a friends, so can't comment fully.

Unicorn

It's okay, but a far cry from being a replacement for Dwarf Fortress.

Tizoc

Not very difficult from what i gathered

I was going to post my Dark Souls stats, but then i realized that i don't have any Dark Souls game in my library. That's really weird experience, I'm so used to search for old games directly in my library without going to steam store, how the hell i managed to miss all Dark Souls games even after HB monthly?

Topseller on the Chinese store is Shadow of War right now.

Who would have thought that with good regional pricing it could sell well (looking at some japanese publishers....)

DoomGyver

I think this is the best place to ask this so here we go..

I have great internet, but a terrible data cap and I want to do 4k gaming. Now tell me if this plan would work - I have a MacBook Pro 15 that I plan on running bootcamp and installing Windows 10 and Steam. I can download my games digitally from steam at work or at a local wifi bar onto a usb flash drive. Can I then transfer that data to a gaming PC at home and play those games on my PC? And would that data include ALL of the data? Game data, update data etc.? I don't plan on playing any games on my MacBook, just the new PC I plan to build.

I really hope this will work, I had planned to get an xbox one x but since all 4k data has to be downloaded I can't do it at home with no way to transfer, I can't even download todays updates because they're just too large and eat up my data allowance.

Jadax

I have great internet, but a terrible data cap and I want to do 4k gaming. Now tell me if this plan would work - I have a MacBook Pro 15 that I plan on running bootcamp and installing Windows 10 and Steam. I can download my games digitally from steam at work or at a local wifi bar onto a usb flash drive. Can I then transfer that data to a gaming PC at home and play those games on my PC? And would that data include ALL of the data? Game data, update data etc.? I don't plan on playing any games on my MacBook, just the new PC I plan to build.

Yes.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I really hope this will work, I had planned to get an xbox one x but since all 4k data has to be downloaded I can't do it at home with no way to transfer, I can't even download todays updates because they're just too large and eat up my data allowance.

You'll also want to copy over the associated appmanifest_appid.acf files in the root of the SteamApps folder as they're what tells Steam that a game is installed. That way you can skip the potentially slow data verification process.

You can get a game's app ID from its store page URL or, if that's not an option, by searching for the title on SteamDB. E.g. If you were to download Shadow of War, appmanifest_356190.acf is the file you'd want to copy over.

DoomGyver

^ Thank you for the tip, fun fact - I made a steam account back in 2009 because I wanted to build a pc, it never happened and I currently own 0 steam games.

Thank the Steam gods for this. Now I need to iron out my PC build, going for 4k 60 in the $2500 range.

EDIT: one more question, Lets say I buy Wolfenstein II and have it downloaded and installed on my PC. A month later a large update comes out - say 10gb and I download that update on my laptop. Will I be able to transfer just that update data to my PC then install it?

By the way, i recently started playing Clive Barker's Jericho, and that's another example when developers are way overdid with special "effects":
It looked terrible and it was not possible to disable all that shit through in-game menu. But thankfully there is config file in appdata folder, and i managed to disable those bloom, fake HDR and other stuff by editing it:
Looks good for 10 year old game imo

Shadow of War's price skyrockets in regional priced zones as soon as the game unlocks.

Their regional price tinkering led to a pretty huge price mistake in my region

The actual price is supposed to be ₹6999 ($107). I ended up buying it but I'm still considering gettting a refund because I basically hated the first game. Couldn't last more 5 hours or so because all I saw was an Assassin's Creed + Batman Arkham ripoff.

RimWorld is fantastic. Haven't played it as much as I would have liked to but I can tell you it's really damn good. Well worth it's asking price.

Finally got back in to Divinity OS 2. Starting zone still kicking my arse though.

I had a lot of trouble getting out of Fort Joy. You need to somehow get to level 4 or 5 before you can deal with that place comfortably. It gets easier beyond that but I haven't actually left the first zone so my experience is limited.

Top Bottom