• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | Discussion Thread - Everyone's favorite PC Platform

RimWorld feels like an authentic version of Dwarf Fortress for those without the time and patience to learn DF. It bridges the gap from the deep end of the pool to a more accessible spin on the Colony Management Sim sub-genre. While also maintaining the same sense of depth and possibility.

While there's building in games like RimWorld, I think it's a completely different genre/experience than traditional city builders like Anno, SimCity, and Skylines. So it might be worth being cognizant of that if you're exploring the genres. RimWorld and its peers focus on interpersonal relationships of the colonists where moods directly affect productivity.

There's also more autonomy in Colony Sims, where if your peeps aren't happy, work isn't getting done. They're also self-motivated by needs covering a full physical-emotional spectrum (fear, lust, depression, addiction, etc.). These moods will prioritize their behaviors.

Anyway, with the more recent Colony Management Sims like RimWorld, Oxygen Not Included, Prison Architect, Airport CEO, etc., I do think RimWorld is the best of the bunch when considering the balance of depth vs. accessibility. Strikes a really nice balance, imo. Oddly has a killer soundtrack to boot.

Thanks for the insight. Yeah, I suppose there is a distinct sort of sub-genre of Colony Management in the greater City-building genre. The key difference seems to be a more granular approach when it comes to individual actors in the simulation.

I definitely should check out Dwarf Fortress at some point here if I intend to create in the genre. Dwarf Fortress in particular is interesting because it first released in 2006, but looks/seems like it's something that could have been developed a decade or more earlier.

Some of the key innovative features I'd like to bring to a project (that I'm not aware of having been implemented in the genre - correct me if you know an existing example please!) are:

-Pre-game initialization/preparation: think packing your wagon in Oregon Trail
-Asynchronous Online Elements: e.g. Soulsborne message "echoes", but with the cities of other players
-Persistent State World: think Animal Crossing or an MMO, where things may decay (OMG THE WEEDS!) or otherwise change while away from the game

For the online thing, I think SimCity 2013 may have tried to implement something similar, but that game was a dismal failure, so it's certainly something that could be improved upon.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I should probably just make a separate dedicated city-builder thread now that I've gotten invested in the genre...

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 30 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Agent Awesome -- MB-641844B41EFDE52C - Taken by Orakio Rob
Ampu-Tea -- MB-36FAB42D0B713D3A
Battleplan American Civil War -- MB-F68091E3E10CAAD1
Blackbay Asylum -- MB-26AE15313C031769 - Taken by Purkake4
Canyon Capers -- MB-86032EF5E5C11C65
Chompy Chomp Chomp -- MB-5C53E8CFC358301D
Cobi Treasure Deluxe -- MB-422A7D3B64D0833F
Commando Jack -- MB-FE0F876AD2A5C04C - Taken by sadblob
Delicious! Pretty Girls Mahjong Solitaire -- MB-C28B6777470345C4 - Taken by madjoki
Gold Rush! Classic -- MB-578E448F19E49F2C - Taken by Jawmuncher
Gun Metal -- MB-75802B291ADAD47A - Taken by Loptous
Hostile Waters Antaeus Rising -- MB-AB7F6E118F30D836
International Snooker -- MB-47218B4161B28137 - Taken by texhnolyze
Ionball 2 Ionstorm -- MB-830C0A451A37E209
Litil Divil -- MB-477DFDE7AF194C6D
Melissa K and the Heart of Gold Collector's Edition -- MB-0DC04DF6C960FD62
N.P.P.D. RUSH The milk of Ultraviolet -- MB-A5CA07C6817B7D37 - Taken by longlivegaming
Nosferatu The Wrath of Malachi -- MB-C1BB6633AA27F481
Pixel Puzzles Japan -- MB-AEB3ED7ECE00C84F
Pixel Puzzles UndeadZ -- MB-56E674DE30E1FA93
Platypus II -- MB-36F865A987DA4533 - Taken by Abomination
RADical ROACH Deluxe Edition -- MB-024D9F2218B1FEDD
Realms of the Haunting -- MB-E14AD7566EC24F89 - Taken by ctw0e
Showtime! -- MB-DAB6FD2D2F55EDBA - Taken by fuzzy123
Soulbringer -- MB-904E5057B3DEC396 - Taken by illusionary
Speed Kills -- MB-642F0BCFC0302257 - Taken by Dangerblade
Street Racing Syndicate -- MB-D31CB83D233905C5
Super Killer Hornet Resurrection -- MB-99B60A6341464405 - Taken by voodooray
The 39 Steps -- MB-46E68B78C2AE4EC5
The Culling Of The Cows -- MB-A0D861C7306FD802 - Taken by TheGreenArrow

WarRock

It hasn't been yanked wholesale, but it didn't receive updating pricing for Switzerland, China, India, Chile, Peru, Colombia, South Africa, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Saudi Arabia or the United Arab Emirates and is consequently no longer available on said stores.
Ah, thanks. Hopefully it gets relisted in my region then!

prudislav

Seems like DSOGaming confirmed Denuvo in Evil Within 2 ... not thats its of any surprise , but nice to have it 100% confirmed before release as Bethesda are still hiding it on storepage/eula

New BundleStars Bundle.

https://www.bundlestars.com/en/bundle/hidden-gems-6-bundle

Hidden Gems 6 Bundle - C$3.09 / $2.49 / £2.29 / 2,59 €
-- Displaced
-- Race Online
-- Evolvation
-- The Onion Knights - Definitive Edition
-- Little Lords of Twilight
-- The Last Time
-- Murder In Tehran's Alleys 2016
-- Murder In Tehran's Alleys 1933
-- UnnyWorld - Founder's Pack (DLC)
-- Airship Asunder

Defining "gems" down to the point of meaninglessness, I see.

Battlechili

Banned
Banned Game #583120845028 is Bundlestars Star Deal of the day.
fug
I already own it and I haven't even played it that much. Too much other stuff on my plate. Now I feel like I should've waited x_x

But the call of Blue Reflection and DRV3 continue to beckon me to play them instead.

dex3108

I just downloaded Assassin's Creed Brotherhood in like 15 minutes just to do Copernicus DLC missions that Ubi added to PC version few months ago. Having good internet speed is amazing :D

Hektor

Seems like DSOGaming confirmed Denuvo in Evil Within 2 ... not thats its of any surprise , but nice to have it 100% confirmed before release as Bethesda are still hiding it on storepage/eula

Bethesda patching Denuvo out of Doom was an IdGames thing i suppose? As i see Prey and Dishonored 2 still have it

Bethesda patching Denuvo out of Doom was an IdGames thing i suppose? As i see Prey and Dishonored 2 still have it

Maybe Denuvo panicked when they did that, patching it out of Doom,, and gave them incentives to not do it again, when games were cracked, considering how bad publicity it's for them?

A bit of a conspiracy theory perhaps, but the continued usage of Denuvo is so dumb, that you have to go in that direction when you try to make sense of it.

Using the GOG test for my purchases nowadays. All games doesn't have to be made available on GOG, but if the game is sold with anything that works against a release there, then it's a game I buy heavily discounted (like with PES2018), at best.

KainXVIII

Is that real? 😟

Y3756Ka.png

Lain

Why is it banned? Seems like a typical anime gaf game.

The reasons why a game would get banned from discussions on GAF are mainly a couple: sexualization of child-like characters or outright racism inside the game and/or from the developers themselves.

We had one game (more like a game series, complete with the dev) join the list last week.

Parsnip

The reasons why a game would get banned from discussions on GAF are mainly a couple: sexualization of child-like characters or outright racism inside the game and/or from the developers themselves.

We had one game (more like a game series, complete with the dev) join the list last week.

Is there like an actual list somewhere or are we just generally supposed to magically know these things?

So I decided to pick up Warframe due to Destiny 2 impatience and people recommending it lately - And this post isn't even about that. I played it a bit on PS4 back in the day so I've got no new impressions to add yet lol.

I noticed when shooting during the tutorial that even though I'm using Mouse and Keyboard, my Xbone controller buried deep in my desk is vibrating in a way that's subtle and adds a thrill to shooting without throwing off my aim, and I'm not sure whether or not I have a genius setup here or if I should turn off vibration before this damages my desk or gets old.

Is there like an actual list somewhere or are we just generally supposed to magically know these things?

I never truly understood why stuff like Senran Kagura, which has sexual innuendos with characters that look like kids is okay on GAF, but sexual innuendeo/risque images by the banned games are so bad.

Anteater

well on one hand it's probably not hard to see what isn't allowed on gaf, but on the other hand we talk about dragon quest that has a composer who is apparently a nanking denier, so i guess we just have to go with our magical senses

Ascheroth

I never truly understood why stuff like Senran Kagura, which has sexual innuendos with characters that look like kids is okay on GAF, but sexual innuendeo/risque images by the banned games are so bad.
I think it's because just mentioning them by name messes up GAF's ad networks with ...dubious stuff. Or something.

Hektor

Maybe Denuvo panicked when they did that, patching it out of Doom,, and gave them incentives to not do it again, when games were cracked, considering how bad publicity it's for them?

A bit of a conspiracy theory perhaps, but the continued usage of Denuvo is so dumb, that you have to go in that direction when you try to make sense of it.

Maybe there incentive was that they get it for free, i could defintiely imagine such a deal being done

I completely must've missed that

Lain

I don't know if there is a list. I know of Criminal Girls, Moero Chronicle games, Huniepop 2 and that other one where you kill everyone (I can't even remember its name).
As far as I know people don't get punished for simply naming one of the banned games in passing, but they are discouraged from starting threads and doing in depth discussions about them/promoting them.

I completely must've missed that

I would have missed it too, if I wasn't going through some A Hat in Time posts which linked to the thread about the announcement of Huniepop 2, which was locked and the modbot post said the game and the dev aren't welcome on GAF any longer.

Phinor

Looks like the no family share for mordor is permanent

I love how many people call it Mordor when there's no Mordor at all in the name. Shows how badly they failed with naming the sequel. The first game was a Mordor game to just about everyone and that's the only word they dropped when naming the sequel.

Madventure

In case anyone was curious about the scale of the new expansion Ashes of Malmouth for Grim Dawn coming out tomorrow!

I put it behind a spoiler just because it contains some stuff people might consider spoilery I guess
attachment.php

So the new Geforce drivers are no good? Hrm.

I only updated last time to prepare for Total Warhammer 2. Guess I'll wait a while again.
I love how many people call it Mordor when there's no Mordor at all in the name. Shows how badly they failed with naming the sequel. The first game was a Mordor game to just about everyone and that's the only word they dropped when naming the sequel.

Wardor, though.

They knew.

Parsnip

I would have missed it too, if I wasn't going through some A Hat in Time posts which linked to the thread about the announcement of Huniepop 2, which was locked and the modbot post said the game and the dev aren't welcome on GAF any longer.

Oh so that's the new one. I have a pretty good idea why it and the dev are on the list now, but the first game wasn't when it came out.

But that's enough about that I guess.

Uzzy

I mean, there's no Lord of the Rings in their Lord of the Rings game, so the lack of Mordor is the least of their worries.

Anno

In case anyone was curious about the scale of the new expansion Ashes of Malmouth for Grim Dawn coming out tomorrow!

I put it behind a spoiler just because it contains some stuff people might consider spoilery I guess
attachment.php

Any idea if info about the expansion items/classes etc. is available anywhere? I always like browsing through new uniques.

Top Bottom