• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | Discussion Thread - Everyone's favorite PC Platform

Tizoc

Here we go
JUy62Nr.png

https://twitter.com/wayforward/status/917494979173502978

DLzImLvUMAErxRe.jpg:large

I guess PC version is late november or in December now?

Well kudos to NISA. They handled Ys VIII horribly when it came down to localization and handling the PC port but this is a step in the right direction. I would like to see proof of a solid translation and solid PC port and if it checks out, then I'll happily buy it.

Parsnip

Extras.
If you win BL2, I'll throw in the Mechromancer and Ultimate Vault Hunter Upgrade Packs, PM me if I forget to PM you.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Borderlands 2 -- MB-E598C404731BC028
Borderlands Game of the Year Edition -- MB-2931827D58132F9A - Taken by sixteen-bit. 3 entrants total.

t1507665055z1.png

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Putting myself in The Evil Within 2 hype mode, with VPN for anyone here who has it pre-ordered you can unlock the game in 42 hours as an FYI.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
In the Alchemist's lab in Salt & Sanctuary, think I'm nearing the end. The design here is to be commended, some of the levels are more maze-like than Souls proper. Once I discovered how good the scissor weapon was, I pretty much used it exclusively. Scales well with strength and deals a lot of damage with a charm. Plus most of the bosses have resistance to strike weapons, so it's best to invest in a powerful slicer. That's kinda messed up too though: a lot of bosses have very high blunt dmg resist, so hammers/maces are only useful for a couple of fights.

This game has some crazy annoying enemies though, like the teleporting skeletons in the caves and those unicorns from hell in the woods.

Gonna wait for impressions with this one but that trailer was incredible and put this on my radar.

Putting myself in The Evil Within 2 hype mode, with VPN for anyone here who has it pre-ordered you can unlock the game in 42 hours as an FYI.
Do you reckon it'll be a considerable improvement on the first? What was your take on the first in any case? I played it about a month back and the one thing that turned me off from the main campaign were the instant deaths everywhere, a lot of the game just felt like reloading from "gotcha!" moments and it started to get really aggravating by the end, as I really wanted to like it otherwise. The Kidman DLC was great though, the administrator is probably my favourite character in the game with how they handled him.

sanhora

Looks like someone got fired.

Nothing's really going to change in the long run, unless it's the person in charge of their whole localization side. Here's a good post I saw a few days ago.

The track record of issues with NISA translations is extensive at this point and strongly suggests they have some systematic problems. Recently, they threw four translators and four editors at Danganronpa V3, chopping the scripts up by character (!) - that's suggestive of an environment where turnaround time is weighed too heavily over quality.

It's very possible that at least some Ys VIII work was happening in parallel to V3, which might at least partially explain why its issues are so severe. All the Ys VIII dialogue I've seen looked very badly in need of an editing pass.

For the record: I'm definitely not blaming any specific person(s) working for this company, because that would be stupid. NISA has a record of botched translations stretching back to the PS2 days; individual people have come and gone. The constant here is the company and its priorities. "Quality translations" doesn't seem to be super high on the list.

Thanks Parsnip for Borderlands 2! I remember enjoying BL 1 way back until I tried the multiplayer and a guy like 40 levels ahead of me joined and gave me his rare weapons, effectively breaking my game lol.
I hear BL2 is even better so I'm looking forward to it!

Man I've been in a video game funk lately. I've lost almost all interest in games I usually can play for hours.

It happens at some point. Just take a break, get involved in other activities and go back when you get that twinge to play a game for hours again. I had a video game funk last year that lasted for a good 7-8 months and just read books, tried to code a small game and watched a backlog of movies I missed over the years. Picked up DOOM a little after that and the spark came back.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Yeah I've been watching a lot more Netflix/HBO than I used to. So far I've binged Stranger Things, Westworld, and am halfway through season 2 of Rome. All 3 of those shows are fucking great btw.

Yeah you just need to do what's fun for you at that point. I remember like 7 years back I didn't play anything for pretty much a full year. But luckily the spark came back. The one interest I should get back to right now is comics. I have like 7 expensive omnibuses still in the shrinkwrap, need to get back into the groove there.

yuraya

Yeah I've been watching a lot more Netflix/HBO than I used to. So far I've binged Stranger Things, Westworld, and am halfway through season 2 of Rome. All 3 of those shows are fucking great btw.

Its been such a great year for TV shows.

Expanse S2
Game of Thrones S7
House of Cards S5
Twin Peaks S3.

All so good.

Parsnip

Thanks Parsnip for Borderlands 2! I remember enjoying BL 1 way back until I tried the multiplayer and a guy like 40 levels ahead of me joined and gave me his rare weapons, effectively breaking my game lol.
I hear BL2 is even better so I'm looking forward to it!

??
BL2 looks untouched in the giveaway, did you actually enter and win it?

Humble leftover (Borderlands 1) not sure what that pic is:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (ThirtyFour, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Borderlands 1 -- MB-49BD8BECFDE29E4F - Taken by Dangerblade. 4 entrants total.

t1507667860z1.png

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Do you reckon it'll be a considerable improvement on the first? What was your take on the first in any case? I played it about a month back and the one thing that turned me off from the main campaign were the instant deaths everywhere, a lot of the game just felt like reloading from "gotcha!" moments and it started to get really aggravating by the end, as I really wanted to like it otherwise. The Kidman DLC was great though, the administrator is probably my favourite character in the game with how they handled him.

Yes, there is one honest concern I have, but everything else is an improvement in my opinion. Combat has been improved, stealth has been improved, FOV has, story from what I've seen thus far is much improved, and the game overall is better paced and the two bosses I've seen neither have an instant kill attack (though there are two enemies I know have instant kill attacks, but neither are really unfair and are spread out).

I loved the Administrator in the DLC too,
happy he's back in TEW2,
. The thing I'm concerned about is while I think it's overall an improvement, the tighter development time might show in some elements to make them jankier than they otherwise might be. It's a minor concern in the grand scheme of things. Also I think some won't like TEW2's slower pace, which yes, it plays more like an adventure/horror game than the original one even though the combat's been improved.

Man, I don't know why but TEW2 just looks so bland to me. I played the first game till Chapter 10 when I just grew tired of it but the rumors about the The Evil Within 2 got me pretty excited but everything I've seen just looks boring to me.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Finished Salt & Sanctuary. That was pretty damn good, especially if you consider a game of this scale was made by 2 people... nuts. I'll always be amazed by projects like this. I tried out The Dishwasher back in the 360 days but this is a step far beyond that. Very impressive.

yuraya

Amazon has physical version of Dishonored 2 for 13$. I think that is the lowest price I ever seen for the game. Mafia 3 physical is only 11$ as well.

inb4physicalpcgamingwhatyearisitrobinwilliams.jpg

Ys VIII PC update.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/579180/announcements/detail/1457337090478104302 said:
PC Version Release Update and Progress Report
OCTOBER 10 - NISAALEX
Note: This information can also be found in the forum post linked here. Please check the forums for the most updated information.

It has been a while since our initial September 12th announcement, and we apologize for the delay in communication and would like to issue an update on progress for Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA on PC. We were taking our time to be absolutely sure we were delivering the most accurate and up-to-date information to you.

Since we last made an announcement, we have been working tirelessly on improvements and bug fixes. We considered the overall issues, obstacles that arose during debug, and the maximum resources we have to address them and concluded that it will take another two months for the Steam release to meet the expectations we set for ourselves and guarantee the quality that every Ys fan has come to expect. In addition, we will use this time to apply the updated localization to the game[nisamerica.com].

This means that we plan to release the PC version around mid-December. We were unfortunately unable to deliver a simultaneous release with the Steam and console versions and apologize for our delayed postponement announcement. We deeply and earnestly apologize for not upholding the promise of the original Steam release and not notifying the community about the delays sooner.

Despite our missteps, we remain committed to delivering the best possible quality experience. With that in mind, here are some details about what exactly we've been working on.

After we delayed the release of Ys VIII on Steam, we reached out to Peter "Durante" Thoman for his expertise, and we are happy to report that he could share some of his hours with our developers these past few weeks. We asked Durante for his help with the following for this title: GPU performance improvements, CPU performance improvements, and developing a system for improving and regulating framerate. We also received feedback from Durante about a shadow rendering issue that we are looking into.

The above work has resulted in significant improvements in performance. However, due to the fact that we are receiving such an overwhelming number of system issues from both our internal QA Team and our Beta testers, these issues will take considerable time to repair. As previously stated in our last announcement, fixes in one area can lead to something breaking in another, so we have to be methodical in our application of fixes and improvements. In addition to improvements in the game's system, we are also updating, fixing, and improving the game text across the Japanese, English, and French versions. This also requires a significant amount of time, due to the size of the game and our commitment to localizing the text to both English and French.

After assessing all of these factors, we concluded that approximately two more months of development time is needed to reach the level of quality we and the fans want. We thank you for your constant feedback and again apologize for the inconsistent communication.
If you have made a pre-purchase on Steam and would like to get a refund, please use this link for information on how to refund a product on Steam. For any purchases or pre-orders made outside of the Steam platform, please contact the corresponding refund support for that platform.

We sincerely apologize for these delays and we humbly request your patience.
Best,
NISA Team

So mid-December. Doesn't sound like they plan to make up for the delay in anyway at the moment.

Top Bottom