• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2015 - Steam GOTY results still delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haunted

I.. I don't enjoy The Talos Principle. Portal was one of the all time greats, Portal 2 was the best game of 2011. Antichamber is excellent. And I get nothing out of The Talos Principle. I put 3 hours into it and have no plans to return to it, although I probably will eventually because just about everyone thinks it's a great game.

Just goes to show how hard it really is to recommend games and actually succeed at it. Almost every The Talos Principle review/opinion mentions that if you enjoy Portal type games, this one is a winner.
I think it's the leap-frogging type of puzzle solving that annoys people. Like, place this here, then place that there, then place that thing over there so it frees up that first thing, you can now take that thing and place it there so it frees up the second thing etc. It's a lot of busywork and running back and forth.

It does have similar eureka moments when you figure out a puzzle, but I think the actual execution of solving the puzzle takes much longer than in the games it's compared to.

edit: those are just my impressions from watching a couple videos (GB QL, Day9) and playing the public test, I haven't played through the full game.

zkylon

zkylewd
when did dead state get cards?

too bad i uninstalled it already, feels bad to idle games you like

That's fair. I was thinking purely in terms of number of hours. Because I "wasted" a lot of hours playing League. Whether they were actually a waste is a matter of perspective I suppose.

But yeah, if you're talking about pick up and play, minimal investment, turn off your brain, time wasters, League is not that. If you want to play it, you pretty much have to commit to it.

I've found open world games are good for when I need something to play with minimal investment, because its usually easy to just do a bunch of side missions or roam around collecting junk when I don't have a lot of time or desire to really get into something.
yeah i hate collecting games :p

like gat out of hell i uninstalled it after having my fun with it cos i don't really like wasting my time on that sort of stuff

i generally like shooters best because there's at least some multiplayer skill competition component to it so it's not completely mindless, even if i'm not necessarily "tryharding" like i would do during a league game (for all teh good that does me)

so yeah, it's difficult because at times like right now i'm really tired and my brain isn't really cooperating for doing the work i should be doing so i just want to shoot at something for a while and can't really get myself to enjoy anything

"background gaming" is another term for it.
i thought that was more for like farmville or something?

Parsnip

Just did it. Ran out of stones half way through and just waited going from snow flake to snow flake.

Then homeward boned the fuck out of there. One more achievement down.

Good choice. Last I played it I got to slab safely but fell down almost immediately on the way back.

Haunted

It's bizarre how the info tabs aren't expanded in cases where the client window size sees the DLC header image removed. As it stands half of the box is just empty space:

clientdlcbkuaz.jpg
Nice background screenshot from AC Unity :lol

louiedog

I think it's the leap-frogging type of puzzle solving that annoys people. Like, place this here, then place that there, then place that thing over there so it frees up that first thing, you can now take that thing and place it there so it frees up the second thing etc

It does have similar eureka moments when you figure out a puzzle, but I think the actual execution of solving the puzzle takes much longer than in the games it's compared to.

edit: those are just my impressions from watching a couple videos (Day[9]) and playing the public test, I haven't played through the full game.

For me I would immediately get a sense of dread when I walked into a puzzle and it became clear there were going to be multiple steps with each piece, but putting together the solution always seemed pretty simple once I understood it.

Figuring out the solution was hard, but the final execution didn't bother me. I've played games where the opposite is true and it really frustrates me when I know the solution and have a tough time implementing it.

Parsnip

It's bizarre how the info tabs aren't expanded in cases where the client window size sees the DLC header image removed. As it stands half of the box is just empty space:

clientdlcbkuaz.jpg

Oh, that looks like a skin issue. :p I'll see if I can fix it on the custom PixelVision.

NBA 2k15, Total War: Rome II and Company of Heroes 2 free weekends coming up.
Rome II looks super cool. Shame I won't be able to play the game over the weekend for free. Even if it is strategy from the screens and videos I saw I doubt my laptop will be able to handle it :/

Hinomura

How are people feeling about Castle In The Darkness? Worth picking up?

Go for it, it's great! ^___^

At first I thought it could be a game where bitmap gfx was over substance since it was sponsored as "the game of isaac rebirth graphician", but it's not. It's a legit action/platformer, very charming and - for what I've seen - with a very good level/enemy design. I found the checkpoint/save system very "friendly", at least at beginning of the game.

Problem is I can't stop playing Neptunia when I got free time :(

Nabs

I'm a fan of it. Lots of NES nods and references with regard to NPCs and platform design. The demon from Ghosts N' Goblins makes a cameo

Go for it, it's great! ^___^

At first I thought it could be a game where bitmap gfx was over substance since it was sponsored as "the game of isaac rebirth graphician", but it's not. It's a legit action/platformer, very charming and - for what I've seen - with a very good level/enemy design. I found the checkpoint/save system very "friendly", at least at beginning of the game.

Problem is I can't stop playing Neptunia when I got free time :(

Thanks for the impressions.

so dbz xenoverse, theres no other place to pre order it besides steam? I'd like to know if there are options to get it cheaper, even if its only a buck :p

zkylon

zkylewd
Bah, what should I doooo... Valkyria/strange, or dark souls 2 dlc?

honestly, valkyria. i don't think life is strange is much good but sounds to me like if you haven't played the dark souls 2 dlc by now you're probably capable of waiting a few more months for the ripoff edition

i'd say buy valkria and pocket the rest of the money

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
For all the complaints about that Atari game using the name Asteroids, it is a game about mining asteroids in an asteroid belt dealing with life on an asteroids, so it at least makes sense. I doubt the game would be any better or worse if it was called SPACE MINING SIMULATOR™ instead.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Lots of Grim Fandango bug fixes:

Release 5 - v1.3.0

This update addresses the following issues:

- Allowed drivers to determine their own internal format for 565 background format
- Escape the HL elevator if you saved while stuck inside of it
- Fix progression stopper w/ mouse in inventory caused by clicking on "select" while changing items
- Fix bug where you could get stuck in HL elevator
- Fix missing music stingers
- Fix getting stuck circling behind Chepito in Su.set
- Fix unicycle guy disappearing in ly.set
- Fix legacy softlock when using crane in EW if you press lower chain/exit buttons on the exact same frame
- Fix rare bug where you couldn't re-enter forklift elevator from HK
- Fix missing hotspots for striking bees, piano
- Sm.set walk-in fix
- Fix disappearing HUD in EW if you press escape to skip FMV after lowering chain
- Fixed light streaking that can appear when characters move offscreen.
- Triple the size of the PC controller dead zone

Parsnip

fuck you parsnip and your uploaded screenshots lol
Sorry!
Someone else on Steam lamented that there haven't been a lot of spiders in games lately and asked how they looked in the REmaster. :p

clientdlcbkuaz.jpg

As I suspected, it was a skin bug.
Fixed in http://beerlake.net/PixelVision_custom/PixelVision_custom_0.04_2015-02-11.7z
Had to shuffle around some elements. Only the image and the DLC Added text are culled when the client gets narrow, the bug was happening mostly because I moved the "find more" link under the image.

zkylon

zkylewd
Only if it already would've been 75% off or in a bundle.

i think valkyria hails from the age of the russian overlords so i think they would've gotten it like 60% off on release or some shit like that

Sorry!
Someone else on Steam lamented that there haven't been a lot of spiders in games lately and asked how they looked in the REmaster. :p
lol yea it's cool

i was casually looking the activity feed and i just jumped off my seat lol

You, especially, would appreciate the invisible enemy mode.
i would appreciate being able to replace them with zombies that move like zombies and act like zombies and sound like zombies.

seeing the spiderweb filled rooms in parsnip's screenies i think not even a mod will get me through it

pity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom