• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2015 - Steam GOTY results still delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
Well bought the season pass from the little bit of Life is Strange I played today! The one thing I thing it's missing is a punch option for 90% of the characters you interact with.
yeah, i found most people in that game to be people i'd stay the fuck away in real life

but that option would feel out of character for max i think :p

Tizoc

yeah, i found most people in that game to be people i'd stay the fuck away in real life

but that option would feel out of character for max i think :p

What would a Hipster's equivalent of punching someone in the face be actually...

zkylon

zkylewd
What would a Hipster's equivalent of punching someone in the face be actually...

i mean it's not really because they're hipsters, it's mostly because they're generally unpleasant people

like the teacher is super annoying but you know that's his lifestyle, no biggie, but you know that highschool bitch queen i was like "i'm gonna do as many bad things to her as possible". like stop being dicks, people

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Y'know... sometimes there's just something about in the air on a long summer night. Hard to put to words what it is, really. Just a... a sort of, heft? Like you take a deep breath and can feel the history surrounding the molecules you're using to sustain life. Ain't nothin weird about it, just a natural, organic action. But inside your lungs, for that moment, you hear the stories of every ounce of oxygen. The love poems they once recited under a hopeless romantic's breath. The campfires they were swallowed by, with a hint of whiskey and smores. The fibers of a movie projector's image that streamed through em.

isYPVQQuilZiq.jpg

That's about the way life goes in Kentucky Route Zero. Dense with individual drama, tinges of love, regret, stumbling into your own demons on a dark country back road. You've probably been down these roads before, or at least ones very similar to. There'll be a moment of reflection, deja vu of a scene, an emotion, a song that played on the radio during some dramatic moment in your life. Is it possible to find nostalgia in pain?

i79KGnvnT3Dsy.jpg

's something kinda special about this surreal little tale. One that's stuck with me over the past few years unlike anything else that's passed through my brain cells. I can't speak highly enough on the way each moment has burrowed deep in my head, lines of dialog coming to surface after a long spelunking session in the depths. It has taken a few years to get over halfway done, so I don't blame whoever wins this for not loading up right away. But I hope whoever does get it falls for its magic just as much as I have and understands why exactly it means so much to me.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (CheesecakeRecipe, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Kentucky Route Zero -- MB-AE6E201A69AEC45C - Taken by C4rter. 44 entrants total.

t1423726834z1.png

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Not exactly sure where to mention this put, but this thread seems like the place, I just did an interview with Night Dive Studios wherein it has been revealed to me that they are planning on bring indie game Spirits of Xanadu to the service. Cult adventure game Noctopolis is re-released with getting remastered music ad widescreen support. Powerslave/Exhumed is being worked on and the big shocker is the Saturn version is being planned to be included in the package. Finally, No One Lives Forever news is coming soon but not the news people are expecting.

MUnited83

For you.
Not exactly sure where to mention this put, but this thread seems like the place, I just did an interview with Night Dive Studios wherein it has been revealed to me that they are planning on bring indie game Spirits of Xanadu to the service. Cult adventure game Noctopolis is re-released with getting remastered music ad widescreen support. Powerslave/Exhumed is being worked on and the big shocker is the Saturn version is being planned to be included in the package. Finally, No One Lives Forever news is coming soon but not the news people are expecting.

...bad news?

zkylon

zkylewd
but why is it good shit? what exactly is it?

it's an interactive surrealistic tale. you walk around and read text, sometimes you get dialogue choices. your choice may trigger a response later on, but it's a strictly directed game that's just a fascinating experience because of how well done it all is. the visuals and the sound design and the script are all super good and it's just a very compelling game

it's hard to explain because it's mostly something that's got to be experienced. there's not much to it from the "gaming" perspective, if you will, but actually having that bit of interactivity and choosing your dog's name and replying about your past and whatever makes your story feel really intimate. and nothing you say will actually "alter the story" or give you a different ending, but it still makes all the difference in the world

i very much recommend it

Tizoc

Never heard of Noctropolis
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noctropolis

Are they even allowed to release SEGA Saturn games like that?

iosefe

it's an interactive surrealistic tale. you walk around and read text, sometimes you get dialogue choices. your choice may trigger a response later on, but it's a strictly directed game that's just a fascinating experience because of how well done it all is. the visuals and the sound design and the script are all super good and it's just a very compelling game

it's hard to explain because it's mostly something that's got to be experienced. there's not much to it from the "gaming" perspective, if you will, but actually having that bit of interactivity and choosing your dog's name and replying about your past and whatever makes your story feel really intimate. and nothing you say will actually "alter the story" or give you a different ending, but it still makes all the difference in the world

i very much recommend it
sounds interesting enough. i dig a good story...
Act 3 song that makes the game worth it
and also good music

zkylon

zkylewd
sounds interesting enough. i dig a good story...

and also good music
it's minimalistic, so don't expect incredible cutscenes or whatever, but it can sure be a sight to behold at times

and the sound design is great. i don't play games with headphones often, but for kr0 i found it to be really important

iosefe

it's minimalistic, so don't expect incredible cutscenes or whatever, but it can sure be a sight to behold at times

and the sound design is great. i don't play games with headphones often, but for kr0 i found it to be really important

well if also lines up, i'll find out tomorrow

ALSO: trying to play KotOR again, but my swkotor.ini file is...missing? as in it doesn't exist in my installation folder. gone a kind soul please pm me the contents of the ini so i might make a proper file?
and no, i don't have the steam version so it isn't as simple as verifying the file cache

well if also lines up, i'll find out tomorrow

ALSO: trying to play KotOR again, but my swkotor.ini file is...missing? as in it doesn't exist in my installation folder. gone a kind soul please pm me the contents of the ini so i might make a proper file?
and no, i don't have the steam version so it isn't as simple as verifying the file cache
I may be wrong, but i believe the game creates the ini files when you launch and play it for the first time. either way, lemme PM it to you, in case you already did that.

iosefe

I may be wrong, but i believe the game creates the ini files when you launch and play it for the first time. either way, lemme PM it to you, in case you already did that.

it should. the only problem being it was making one. thank you

*i dl'd the amd fix, and it finally made an ini. whoops

Khronico

watching the evolve quicklook, the game concept seems pretty cool, but the actual gameplay not so much

hmmm

Just watched it too.

Seems like one of those games that is only fun when your with friends who know how to play their class correctly. I can't see how playing with randoms would be good at all, it requires a LOT of teamwork.

rookiejet

watching the evolve quicklook, the game concept seems pretty cool, but the actual gameplay not so much

hmmm

Asymmetric gameplay is like my favorite thing but the pacing of this game's off. There's too much downtime. I don't find playing digital hide and seek fun, and that seems like where the majority of time is spent in the game. The leveling up mechanic is rewarding the wrong type of play: hiding.

To be honest, even if it were tuned to be more confrontational, it'd probably still be boring to me. 1 Monster vs 4(?) humans isn't enough, it needs more than one monster duking it out War of the Monsters style, with (optionally) the human players as a unit trying to take them down and maybe also minimizing damage to the environment (urban areas, civilians, etc). Basically more chaos and action rather than slow, tedious downtime.

hmmm

It seems like a super interesting concept but not one that could carry a whole game. I feel like it would work better as a game mode in a bigger game.

Lets not get started about dlc

KainXVIII

Wow, playing realMyst: Masterpiece Edition right now and its overheating my gtx 770 like crysis 3 or ryse (with very subpar visuals). Fecking Unity engine and lazy devs, eh

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Nice background screenshot from AC Unity :lol

Haha, yeah, I took a screenshot because the phrasing strongly suggests that always-online DRM was originally in the game:

I encountered the error again the other day, which I found a little odd as I figured Ubi would have tried to ninja-patch it out.

Was the Hitman trailer posted in here for the new movie?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=HELfuiarPpo

Heads up it doesn't follow the games. It's absolution on easy action mode
i still wanna see it

Hmm, I don't know about this, the casting of Rupert Friend is actually pretty good, I had my doubts but he seems like he fits the role, but the rest of the movie just seems like typical dumb action movie trash that doesn't do the Hitman name justice. Give the rights to Nicolas Winding Refn and let him make an actual Hitman movie.

zkylon

zkylewd
my big problem with evolve is the one i'm gonna have with every multiplayer game ever: i just don't wanna pay for it

like, no matter how good it is, i'm already playing a competitive game in league of legends so i can't really see myself dedicating enough time to be any good at any other game unless it's really really good, and having to actually buy that game is a huge barrier of entry that i'm not interested in crossing because i can't really imagine finding something i enjoy more than league of legends and that provides me with the same level of "competitive excitement"

like i'd rather just play a f2p shooter or play call of duty twice a year during free weekends than invest a lot of money on a game that's still gonna ask me to buy map packs and still is likely to try and sell me cosmetics

i spent like $150 on league of legends which might not be lot of money for most people here and for most league players but to me that's a lot, and i've done it because i could just spend it bit by bit and because i never felt ripped off.

like, if a game wants me to spend money on it it should either be free and let me spend money at my leisure like all the other f2p games in which i've sunked different amounts of money into, or just give me everything for the base price and stop screwing me over

Just watched it too.

Seems like one of those games that is only fun when your with friends who know how to play their class correctly. I can't see how playing with randoms would be good at all, it requires a LOT of teamwork.
i think it looks like a cool game that has a ton of grinding tied to it which absolutely kills all my desire to play it because i'm not gonna dedicate it enough time to enjoy it

Asymmetric gameplay is like my favorite thing but the pacing of this game's off. There's too much downtime. I don't find playing digital hide and seek fun, and that seems like where the majority of time is spent in the game. The leveling up mechanic is rewarding the wrong type of play: hiding.

To be honest, even if it were tuned to be more confrontational, it'd probably still be boring to me. 1 Monster vs 4(?) humans isn't enough, it needs more than one monster duking it out War of the Monsters style, with (optionally) the human players as a unit trying to take them down and maybe also minimizing damage to the environment (urban areas, civilians, etc). Basically more chaos and action rather than slow, tedious downtime.
from what i watched it didn't seem like the space before interacting with the monster was bad, but that space was actually filled with essentially nothing

you just run behind the creature until you catch it. there's no way to like create a portal to the other side of the map or to split up and corral the monster or just lay a trap and ambush it or anything like that. or at least there didn't seem to be in the video, which might be not the greatest representation of the game since the gb crew isn't really looking for that anyways

It seems like a super interesting concept but not one that could carry a whole game. I feel like it would work better as a game mode in a bigger game.

Lets not get started about dlc
i dunno, to me it seems like a really cool concept for a game, but maybe not as well realized as it should be?

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of CheesecakeRecipe, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (CheesecakeRecipe, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Kentucky Route Zero -- MB-AE6E201A69AEC45C - Taken by C4rter. 44 entrants total.

t1423726834z1.png

MUnited83

For you.
my big problem with evolve is the one i'm gonna have with every multiplayer game ever: i just don't wanna pay for it

like, no matter how good it is, i'm already playing a competitive game in league of legends so i can't really see myself dedicating enough time to be any good at any other game unless it's really really good, and having to actually buy that game is a huge barrier of entry that i'm not interested in crossing because i can't really imagine finding something i enjoy more than league of legends and that provides me with the same level of "competitive excitement"

like i'd rather just play a f2p shooter or play call of duty twice a year during free weekends than invest a lot of money on a game that's still gonna ask me to buy map packs and still is likely to try and sell me cosmetics

i spent like $150 on league of legends which might not be lot of money for most people here and for most league players but to me that's a lot, and i've done it because i could just spend it bit by bit and because i never felt ripped off.

like, if a game wants me to spend money on it it should either be free and let me spend money at my leisure like all the other f2p games in which i've sunked different amounts of money into, or just give me everything for the base price and stop screwing me over

i think it looks like a cool game that has a ton of grinding tied to it which absolutely kills all my desire to play it because i'm not gonna dedicate it enough time to enjoy it

from what i watched it didn't seem like the space before interacting with the monster was bad, but that space was actually filled with essentially nothing

you just run behind the creature until you catch it. there's no way to like create a portal to the other side of the map or to split up and corral the monster or just lay a trap and ambush it or anything like that. or at least there didn't seem to be in the video, which might be not the greatest representation of the game since the gb crew isn't really looking for that anyways

i dunno, to me it seems like a really cool concept for a game, but maybe not as well realized as it should be?
Good thing that Evolve map packs will always be free for everyone then :)

Ninian

Neo Member
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ninian, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Blockland -- MB-9BDD698FBC22537E - Taken by electroflame
Knytt Underground -- MB-D7772BE28330D857 - Taken by Conrad Link

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom