• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2015 - Steam GOTY results still delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

It's actually a very hard interview to read.

Christ, you didn't not read that thread at all. o_O

Thank you for your insight Sini, you're such a helpful poster. Yes I realised that later but by the time I had hit post reply the poster who mentioned that it was Black Flag's working title hadn't posted and the title hadn't changed whilst I was responding to the OP but I guess you already knew that.

Copons

I'm not mad at the guy, he's had a hand in some of my fav games, but he's his own worst enemy. His enthusiasm, whilst infectious, combined with a cavalier attitude to over promise on concepts only fleshed out in the interim were always going to land him in hot water. As much as I like hearing him speak he should really heed his own advice and not speak to the press and stick to being creative (at least until his idea has had chance to form). Then once the idea is fleshed out into something of a working prototype that is at least tangible then start to talk about it.

I too don't hate him, in fact I could even go as far as saying I don't actually dislike his (recent) games.
I didn't hate Fable, even tho it didn't have growing trees, it was just super boring for me, but it at least got me interested enough to buy its first sequel.
I didn't even hate Godus, which I'm pretty sad it turned out this bad as I liked its concept and loved its art direction.

All in all, I agree with you about his need to have someone helping him manage his public relations, thwarting his overpromising problem (I don't think he's a pathological liar, as RPS asked, but he's just really bad at measuring his games capabilities).

Reminds me of this:

MDrtU0q.jpg

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Right MM 3D has turned up! So if I'm not posting here for a few days I'm not dead I've just fallen down a Zelda shaped hole.

you and me both, brother, I just picked up a new 3ds xl and MM3d :D

Molineux dug his own grave. He's not a noob, he's a veteran and should know better.
It's perplexing how he managed to do this to his own career.

Dr Dogg

I too don't hate him, in fact I could even go as far as saying I don't actually dislike his (recent) games.
I didn't hate Fable, even tho it didn't have growing trees, it was just super boring for me, but it at least got me interested enough to buy its first sequel.
I didn't even hate Godus, which I'm pretty sad it turned out this bad as I liked its concept and loved its art direction.

All in all, I agree with you about his need to have someone helping him manage his public relations, thwarting his overpromising problem (I don't think he's a pathological liar, as RPS asked, but he's just really bad at measuring his games capabilities).

The thing is he's a great public speaker. He's confident, passionate and engaging just that he does get a bit carried away. PR must have a nightmare trying to reign him in.

you and me both, brother, I just picked up a new 3ds xl and MM3d :D

Been a while since I've played OoT and I only managed the first cycle on MM so it's kind of like a new game for me.

Nope that was bad trailer :D

Go on then dex give us an example of what you think is a great trailer ;)

zkylon

zkylewd
i really don't enjoy these kinds of interviews, they accomplish little more than generate even more headlines

Embarrassing from RPS, but I'm not sure I expected any better from them. That's not an interview, that's an angry kid shouting at someone and expecting a proper response.
yeah, pretty much

that first question is just the worst kind of sensationalism

if the first memory that comes to you from Just Cause 2 isn't hookshotting someone to an oxygen tank, shooting the tank, and then watching that person fly into the sky and blowing up short thereafter then you didn't play it right.

Dr Dogg

We were just discussing Rainbow Six yesterday. Lo and behold Gamersgate's 10th anniversary sale begins with a entire section devoted to Tom Clancy games.

http://www.gamersgate.com/games?prio=relevance&q=tom10th

Rainbow Six 3 is only available on Steam unfortunately.

Uplay and Tages, yummy! Ubisoft usually have a publisher sale on Steam in the first quarter of the year don't they? Deffo going to pick up Rainbow Six 3 if it's included.

dex3108

Go on then dex give us an example of what you think is a great trailer ;)

Mafia 2 Christmas Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6xT2TZ6nI8
ACR E3 trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-Ixo7QXw_E
Persona 5 Gameplay Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPqSkzNNPIg

Those some of them :D

What was so bad about that? A James Bond opening style trailer is cool in my books.

Not even close to James Bond opening :D Trailers is too dark, there is almost no story behind it and as Kyle Bosman says i don't feel vibe. :D

Grief.exe

So many titles with Tages DRM.

Uplay and Tages, yummy! Ubisoft usually have a publisher sale on Steam in the first quarter of the year don't they? Deffo going to pick up Rainbow Six 3 if it's included.

I forgot the little activation snag with Ubisoft.

They have publisher sales, but Rainbow Six never goes on daily and, as a result, never gets a good discount. At least not in the last year.

Copons

if the first memory that comes to you from Just Cause 2 isn't hookshotting someone to an oxygen tank, shooting the tank, and then watching that person fly into the sky and blowing up short thereafter then you didn't play it right.

My first memory is when I rode a Honda-like scooter (basically the one I have IRL) for 2 hours straight at 50kmph / 30mph top, pulling wheelies in front of the scared crowd and cheering gals. IIRC I even unlocked some kind of achievement for being super cool.

I indeed played it right then.

I still keep it installed when I need to go blow shit up.

Miguel81

I kinda regret being too overleveled in DS. I can't find any human phantoms to help me with boss fights :(
Currently SL112.

Yeah, I also hated that I over-leveled my first character. For the Steamworks patch, I just ended up creating a new one. Not exactly sure what the sweet spot is, but maybe 60-70 for the first run?

Dr Dogg

Hahaha fiar enough they at least show you what the games are all about where as the JC3 one is like a flipbook with only tiny glimpse of what's going on.

Personally the best set of trailers for a games launch I've liked with the initial Bad Company Spoof trailers.

Battlefield: Bad Company "Rainbow Sprinkles" Trailer

Battlefield: Bad Company "Bad World" Trailer

Battlefield: Bad Company "Snake Eyes" Trailer

Followed up by the tongue in cheek launch trailer

Battlefield: Bad Company Release Trailer

DICE say they don't know how to make Bad Company 3 but the essence of the humour is all there in their trailers. Combine that with a semi open world campaign and the simplified but mechanically refined multiplayer with good asymmetrical maps that don't focus on choke points and I think they'd be on to a winner. Well after 2 months when they sort out BF's usual netcode woes.

MUnited83

For you.
Oh yes! It's time for all of us to post our own results guys! Let's do it! Thanks Doc for starting it!

:p
-
I kinda regret being too overleveled in DS. I can't find any human phantoms to help me with boss fights :(
Currently SL112.

Oh man, that's very very overleveled. I'm almost finishing up my playthrough, dlc finished and just Gwyn left and I'm at SL63

Yeah, I also hated that I over-leveled my first character. For the Steamworks patch, I just ended up creating a new one. Not exactly sure what the sweet spot is, but maybe 60-70 for the first run?
I played Demon's Souls totally wrong by trying to level up all my stats equally. Ended up being master of none.
So this time I forced myself to focus on pyro - which I did for about 60% of the game. Then I reached a point where I had a +5 ascended flame (damn that costed me hundreds of thousands of souls) + all available pyro spells (sans iron flesh; attacked the merchant :/)
After that I took a look at weapons and got a liking in some greatswords, so I started leveling up to STR to 24. That's the sweetspot for being able to handle some one-handed and almost all good ones two-handed.
Then I took a look at miracle spells and boy did FromSoftware change things in the miracle department for the better o_O So many great and fun offensive spells. So I leveled FTH to 30 and farmed bugs for Sunlight Medals to get that sweet stronger lightning spear :O

I am weak and easily distracted, hah.

_hekk05

Banned
4140082173.png

I should be getting 50mbits dl and 25 mbits ul

But I'm on wifi with 1 other laptop, 3 mobile phones and 2 tablets sharing it

I'm paying about 28 per month for this and landline + 1 mobile phone + cable tv (shitty select channels bundle)

Debating tossing the cable and investing in 1 gbit

Embarrassing from RPS, but I'm not sure I expected any better from them. That's not an interview, that's an angry kid shouting at someone and expecting a proper response.

I disagree. David Frost did something similar with Richard Nixon. What had been a history of sparring, verbal joust and evasive maneuvers boiled down into a pretty confrontational, direct line of questioning.

It's considered a watershed moment in journalism and Frost is considered among the best.

While I agree that Molyneux hasn't committed some atrocity, he's also been less than forthright with his consumer base. What good is videogame journalism if not this? Or the exposés about layoffs in the industry?

Let the marketers (or Gravelord) do the promoting; that's passed for journalism for too long.

Dr Dogg

I forgot the little activation snag with Ubisoft.

They have publisher sales, but Rainbow Six never goes on daily and, as a result, never gets a good discount. At least not in the last year.

That's not like you, Believe!!!

Don't know if that was a mistake but on 27th June last year both here and in EU 1 it was 88% off. Still I'll still probably bite at the 40% off price, well maybe.

Sarcasm

4140082173.png

I should be getting 50mbits dl and 25 mbits ul

But I'm on wifi with 1 other laptop, 3 mobile phones and 2 tablets sharing it

I'm paying about 28 per month for this and landline + 1 mobile phone + cable tv (shitty select channels bundle)

Debating tossing the cable and investing in 1 gbit

mbps =/= mbs

17mbs is more than what 50 mbps is in mbs too..

Ok. Just finished Seath in the Crystal Cave for the first Lord Soul. Where should I go now??

• Catacombs
  • Demon Ruins
  • New Londo
  • Ash Lake (waiting on this I think)
  • DLC

I played Demon's Souls totally wrong by trying to level up all my stats equally. Ended up being master of none.
So this time I forced myself to focus on pyro - which I did for about 60% of the game. Then I reached a point where I had a +5 ascended flame (damn that costed me hundreds of thousands of souls) + all available pyro spells (sans iron flesh; attacked the merchant :/)
After that I took a look at weapons and got a liking in some greatswords, so I started leveling up to STR to 24. That's the sweetspot for being able to handle some one-handed and almost all good ones two-handed.
Then I took a look at miracle spells and boy did FromSoftware change things in the miracle department for the better o_O So many great and fun offensive spells. So I leveled FTH to 30 and farmed bugs for Sunlight Medals to get that sweet stronger lightning spear :O

I am weak and easily distracted, hah.

It's hard to stay committed to a build in Dark Souls. For this playthrough, I looked around and found a build strategy I liked and have stuck with that throughout. Went magic focused melee. Been using the Winged spear the entire game (which is now +5 enchanted).

Playstyle is pretty fun switching between melee and magic depending on the situation. I think I'm SL6* something or other.

As I said in the thread dedicated to that interview, we need more of this.
Meh, i'm not a fan of such a confrontational style but given that PM has somehow gone so long bullshitting people I can see where he's sorta getting what was coming to him. You can't interview everyone like this, though, because you'll end up never interviewing anyone.

Bigby

Ok. Just finished Seath in the Crystal Cave for the first Lord Soul. Where should I go now??

• Catacombs
  • Demon Ruins
  • New Londo
  • Ash Lake (waiting on this I think)
  • DLC

Go to Catacombs and then to the first bonfire in Tomb of the Giants. You can then warp from there and warp back later.

_hekk05

Banned
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (_hekk05, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Long Live The Queen -- MB-1A31E8E997C9C047 - Taken by The Red Wizard. 8 entrants total.
Go! Go! Nippon! My First Trip to Japan -- MB-2A1155F0349FFC25 - Taken by Purkake4. 8 entrants total.

t1423852599z1.png

Ash Lake is really, really pretty but kind of a pain to get there. Also, i'm kinda bitter about it because it seems like one of those areas that is complete bullshit to find on your own without a guide.

Grief.exe

Ash Lake is really, really pretty but kind of a pain to get there. Also, i'm kinda bitter about it because it seems like one of those areas that is complete bullshit to find on your own without a guide.

Nice when games have little secrets for fans to find. Not everything has to be experienced by every player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom