• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2015 - Steam GOTY results still delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to do those Playfire rewards for Evolve and would like to gather some people to "boost" it.
We're 2 players right now, so need 3 more.
Just gonna do those achievements as quickly we can, so it might get boring, but it's free credits for little effort!
Let me know if you're in.

Edit: hopefully we will be able to do most of them in less than 10 matches that shouldn't take longer than around 5 minutes each i think.

xBladeM6x

The PC will get a port of the mobile version. ;)

JaseC pls. My heart can't take those kind of jokes.

derExperte

Looking to do those Playfire rewards for Evolve and would like to gather some people to "boost" it.
We're 2 players right now, so need 3 more.
Just gonna do those achievements as quickly we can, so it might get boring, but it's free credits for little effort!
Let me know if you're in.

Can you even get a party of five together with one playing the monster?

Finally decided to dive into Garry's Mod, for better or for worse. Time to make the Amnesia monster fight a Pikachu or something.

I have no idea what this is.

Speevy

Banned
My nephew won't stop playing Garry's Mod.

I've tried to get him other games. He never activates them. Just Garry's mod, 24/7.

Momentary

Banned
COSMIC BREAK 2 KICKSTARTER. The art style looks like something Neptunia fans would be all over. The game isn't an RPG though. It's an online action shooter. You can view a bit of the gameplay here.

The Kickstarter just started yesterday and is looking to be pretty healthy. The game does look good in its early stages. I might throw a couple of bones their way.

Too lazy to check it out myself: does Besiege have a "story mode" of sorts or just sandboxes? I am fairly sure it does and I am interested in the game, but I really don't have the time for just sandboxes

iosefe

Too lazy to check it out myself: does Besiege have a "story mode" of sorts or just sandboxes? I am fairly sure it does and I am interested in the game, but I really don't have the time for just sandboxes

it has stages to complete. currently only i think 13-15 are available but it looks like there will be 3-4 more sets of that many plus a Sandbox, Plus The moon, which we have no idea what it would be

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

It does consist of a collection of maps that offer different challenges/objectives, but no plot to speak of.

So I'm trying Steam streaming for the first time today and I get the message "The screen is locked on the remote computer". So I can't have my computer password-locked and have to leave it unsecure in order for this to work?

xezuru

Wasn't there a semi-significant "Spring Cleaning sale" one of the years before? They still do that?

Been waiting for a Dark Souls 2 Season Pass sale, but discounts have been pretty meh.
Also wouldn't mind picking up Dungeon of the Endless or Darkest Dungeon to fill my time if they are discounted as well.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
header.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/269790

Alright, so I have internet back, here's my full thoughts on DreadOut Act 2, will write my thoughts on the game as a whole a bit later:

DreadOut Act 2 is the second half of DreadOut, released almost a year after the first Act, which concludes the story of DreadOut and brings a number of new scenarios, locations, enemies, and mechanics to DreadOut. Comparatively to the first Act, it is a bit longer (though may take about the same amount of time as the puzzles, while still a few tricky ones, aren't nearly as tricky and if you managed to get past the first Act's puzzles, you can handle the ones here), it should take someone probably around 2-4 hours to get through Act 2.

A lot of the major strengths and weaknesses of DreadOut Act 1 carry over to Act 2. The audio design is still fantastic, the atmosphere is still great, it can get under your skin and somewhat calls back to the weirdness and feelings of horror games of old while not specifically being archaic in design. However, it also still is no looker graphically and its low-budget is still on display for all to see, low-quality textures in places and things like grass and trees clipping through things.

The pacing of the game is different though. While in Act 1 you spent a lot of time exploring locations and staying in one place, Act 2 follows much more of a 'path' structure. There's still moments you're stopped in one place and have a few side areas to visit, but I would say the game is much more linear this time around. While some aspects of the exploration is missed, this does benefit the pacing of the game and allows them to be more experimental in its encounters and gameplay scenarios.

And this in my opinion is one of the strongest aspects of DreadOut's second act. It has a number of stand-out moments, I haven't felt this level of intrigue come from a horror game in a long time. Something I've felt newer horror games have been missing compared to old horror games are those moments, the ones that stand-out and linger in your mind either in how creepy, beautiful, weird, or unsettling it is, many games in the horror genre are one or two trick ponies that are pretty much the same game at the end as it was at the beginning,.and misses out on really scenes, scenarios that stick in the mind and strike with you while playing, or escalate its ideas and explore new possibilities as the game progresses. Various examples exist through horror games, no one will ever forget the 'Itchy/Tasty' note in Resident Evil, or the first time you see Pyramid Head through the bars in Silent Hill 2, or the scene where you lose your camera and Sae chases you in Fatal Frame 2. These are just small examples of a number of stand-out scenes that exist in these games, and something that's mostly been absent in most recent horror games, those moments of intrigue, creepiness, and interesting imagery. DreadOut manages to have a number of these moments stuffed into its second act, and while I don't want to spoil them, I think the sit-down with Ira, several moments in the mansion, and the finale of DreadOut Act 2 will stick with people for a while after beating the game.

Another area of praise I have to give goes to the boss battles. There's more of them this time around, and all of them are pretty different to each other and all were pretty well handled, the fights were fun and required some observation and strategy to take care of, while none of them being overly complex.

As of the time of writing, the game needs a little bit more polish, the English needs to be fixed up as it has a few misspellings and grammar issues, though understandable due to the Indonesian heritage, I think this will be worked out in future patches. A few minor bugs exist, one game-breaking which I didn't encounter, but will be important to fix (saving and quitting in the afterlife makes it so you cannot continue and have to start all over), but I have faith the developers will patch it out due to support for the first Act.

I do think a few moments are maybe a little bit too tricky with what you have to do for your own good and aren't made clear by the game, the moment that stands out most in my mind being what you have to do to beat the first real boss in Act 2, which had me stumped as everything I would try to do would kill me.
Turned out, to beat the boss, you had to do nothing and just let go of the controls and let it die, but the visual cue made it look like you had to take a last snapshot of the Boss before it died.

The narrative ends on a note that may leave room for a sequel, and raises a lot of questions and things to observe through the game that I'm sure some will analyze, and I think I have a few theories myself, and if they decide to make a sequel, I'll be there. I'd at least be very interested to see where they go if the developers decide to try and developer further DreadOut games, and where they go with it.

While there are a few things I enjoyed more in Act 1 (exploring was more fun in Act 1, I think in the end I found the puzzles more enjoyable in Act 1), Act 2 makes up for it in-stand out moments and boss battles, and together with Act 0 and 1, make a nice package and a horror game I would recommend to anyone who likes the horror games of yesteryear, and are not bothered by some low-budget indie aspects and cryptic puzzles. If you play the demo from the game's main site (or Steam), and end up liking it, I would recommend getting the whole game, as it really fleshes out what made the demo enjoyable into a whole experience. It's distinctively Indonesian influence of its culture and myths does bring some unique flavor to the game, but even without it, the game itself is a solid and enjoyable horror game that deserves attention from lovers of the genre, and anyone who wants one of the most well realized indie 3D horror games to be made yet.

derExperte

Didn't see this mentioned earlier, but here's a great article about ibb & obb's sales on steam. Interestingly, they use exact sales numbers, and even post images of their sales graphs.

http://ibbandobb.com/ibb-obbs-pc-sales-results-for-2014/

Nothing really revolutionary or revealing there, but it's always nice to see some actual numbers and developers being open about sales data.

Humble Weekly Bundle (7 days):
22,000 copies (11,000 activated) / $12,945 revenue

So 11.000 homeless copies are floating around somwhere? Damn.

Jawmuncher

I died again, this time against the plant. How I suppose to do to beat that thing with knife? Is impossible. Even using 5 spray, that thing killed me.
Why are you not playing as Jill for theKnife Run? You can make Jvolt with her. Also if you had planned different Rebecca could hve saved you with her Jvolt.
header.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/269790

Alright, so I have internet back, here's my full thoughts on DreadOut Act 2, will write my thoughts on the game as a whole a bit later:

DreadOut Act 2 is the second half of DreadOut, released almost a year after the first Act, which concludes the story of DreadOut and brings a number of new scenarios, locations, enemies, and mechanics to DreadOut. Comparatively to the first Act, it is a bit longer (though may take about the same amount of time as the puzzles, while still a few tricky ones, aren't nearly as tricky and if you managed to get past the first Act's puzzles, you can handle the ones here), it should take someone probably around 2-4 hours to get through Act 2.

A lot of the major strengths and weaknesses of DreadOut Act 1 carry over to Act 2. The audio design is still fantastic, the atmosphere is still great, it can get under your skin and somewhat calls back to the weirdness and feelings of horror games of old while not specifically being archaic in design. However, it also still is no looker graphically and its low-budget is still on display for all to see, low-quality textures in places and things like grass and trees clipping through things.

The pacing of the game is different though. While in Act 1 you spent a lot of time exploring locations and staying in one place, Act 2 follows much more of a 'path' structure. There's still moments you're stopped in one place and have a few side areas to visit, but I would say the game is much more linear this time around. While some aspects of the exploration is missed, this does benefit the pacing of the game and allows them to be more experimental in its encounters and gameplay scenarios.

And this in my opinion is one of the strongest aspects of DreadOut's second act. It has a number of stand-out moments, I haven't felt this level of intrigue come from a horror game in a long time. Something I've felt newer horror games have been missing compared to old horror games are those moments, the ones that stand-out and linger in your mind either in how creepy, beautiful, weird, or unsettling it is, many games in the horror genre are one or two trick ponies that are pretty much the same game at the end as it was at the beginning,.and misses out on really scenes, scenarios that stick in the mind and strike with you while playing, or escalate its ideas and explore new possibilities as the game progresses. Various examples exist through horror games, no one will ever forget the 'Itchy/Tasty' note in Resident Evil, or the first time you see Pyramid Head through the bars in Silent Hill 2, or the scene where you lose your camera and Sae chases you in Fatal Frame 2. These are just small examples of a number of stand-out scenes that exist in these games, and something that's mostly been absent in most recent horror games, those moments of intrigue, creepiness, and interesting imagery. DreadOut manages to have a number of these moments stuffed into its second act, and while I don't want to spoil them, I think the sit-down with Ira, several moments in the mansion, and the finale of DreadOut Act 2 will stick with people for a while after beating the game.

Another area of praise I have to give goes to the boss battles. There's more of them this time around, and all of them are pretty different to each other and all were pretty well handled, the fights were fun and required some observation and strategy to take care of, while none of them being overly complex.

As of the time of writing, the game needs a little bit more polish, the English needs to be fixed up as it has a few misspellings and grammar issues, though understandable due to the Indonesian heritage, I think this will be worked out in future patches. A few minor bugs exist, one game-breaking which I didn't encounter, but will be important to fix (saving and quitting in the afterlife makes it so you cannot continue and have to start all over), but I have faith the developers will patch it out due to support for the first Act.

I do think a few moments are maybe a little bit too tricky with what you have to do for your own good and aren't made clear by the game, the moment that stands out most in my mind being what you have to do to beat the first real boss in Act 2, which had me stumped as everything I would try to do would kill me.
Turned out, to beat the boss, you had to do nothing and just let go of the controls and let it die, but the visual cue made it look like you had to take a last snapshot of the Boss before it died.

The narrative ends on a note that may leave room for a sequel, and raises a lot of questions and things to observe through the game that I'm sure some will analyze, and I think I have a few theories myself, and if they decide to make a sequel, I'll be there. I'd at least be very interested to see where they go if the developers decide to try and developer further DreadOut games, and where they go with it.

While there are a few things I enjoyed more in Act 1 (exploring was more fun in Act 1, I think in the end I found the puzzles more enjoyable in Act 1), Act 2 makes up for it in-stand out moments and boss battles, and together with Act 0 and 1, make a nice package and a horror game I would recommend to anyone who likes the horror games of yesteryear, and are not bothered by some low-budget indie aspects and cryptic puzzles. If you play the demo from the game's main site (or Steam), and end up liking it, I would recommend getting the whole game, as it really fleshes out what made the demo enjoyable into a whole experience. It's distinctively Indonesian influence of its culture and myths does bring some unique flavor to the game, but even without it, the game itself is a solid and enjoyable horror game that deserves attention from lovers of the genre, and anyone who wants one of the most well realized indie 3D horror games to be made yet.

Excellent write up as always. Can't wait to try dread out when it's fully completed.

A while back I formatted my PC.
Today I realized Dark Souls 2 doesn't have cloud saving.
I guess that puts an end to the debate about sticking with the vanilla version to keep my save or starting from scratch with Scholar of the first sin.
I'm not too keen on some of the changes they're implementing though.

Thanks for the Dreadout impressions DuskGolem, I've been wondering about that game.
Didn't know there's a demo.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Why are you not playing as Jill for theKnife Run? You can make Jvolt with her. Also if you had planned different Rebecca could hve saved you with her Jvolt.

Excellent write up as always. Can't wait to try dread out when it's fully completed.

It's fully completed now besides one thing of paid DLC coming out this later this year in Free Roam mode, but the game's narrative has a beginning and end now, Act 2 concludes the story. Free Roam is kind of a open-world mode without a story where you can complete optional objectives throughout all the locations in the game (and a few new ones) and fight all the ghosts from the main game plus more, and try and complete these challenges.

I'd estimate if playing DreadOut blindly, playing Act 0, 1, & 2, would take about 4-8 hours, depending if you explore a lot (lots of little optional areas), get stuck on puzzles, and the like. One suggestion to anyone who plays it from the Start is in Act 0 and 1, return backwards before moving forwards for some cool secrets (in Act 0, once you get the key, in Act 1, before you enter into the school go back to the village once its turned night and return to the car). Other secrets, but those two are my favorite and easiest to get too.

If you haven't picked it up, the game is one sale for the next two weeks 33% off.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
A while back I formatted my PC.
Today I realized Dark Souls 2 doesn't have cloud saving.
I guess that puts an end to the debate about sticking with the vanilla version to keep my save or starting from scratch with Scholar of the first sin.
I'm not to keen on some of the changes they're implementing though.

Valve should mandate Steam Cloud support for saves going forward. The fact that games like Rage upload the player's config file to the cloud but not their progress is absolutely pathetic, frankly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom