• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2015 - Steam GOTY results still delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

derExperte

PS4 owners being hyped about the Order is no different to the steam thread being hyped about Neptunia or whatever else is just about to be released on PC.

It is new or interesting. Quality only comes into how long it stays around after release so I don't really see the confusion.

The huge difference is that despite all the claims that the PS4 totally has games it barely does, especially if you're mostly interested in the big guns. Many regulars in those threads have done little else than talking about The Order the past few months. Which leads to thirst, which leads to insanity where everyone's post history will come under scrutiny if something slightly negative is said. Think of it like if we'd only get a Steam Summer Sale every three years and absolutely nothing in between. Not healthy.

If I had a PS4 I'd definitely buy it (since it looks pretty cool to me), but I don't so instead I'm considering if I should waste money on Amazing Spaider-Man 2 and the DLC for it and the first game.

For me it will really depend on how long the game ends up being. 6hrs? Drop the price first. 10-12? Yeah, okay.

_hekk05

Banned
The huge difference is that despite all the claims that the PS4 totally has games it barely does, especially if you're mostly interested in the big guns. Many regulars in those threads have done little else than talking about The Order the past few months. Which leads to thirst, which leads to insanity where everyone's post history will come under scrutiny if something slightly negative is said. Think of it like if we'd only get a Steam Summer Sale every three years and absolutely nothing in between. Not healthy.

??? huh

By my last count PS4 has more than 200 games, unless we're in indies aren't games territory again

I don't play a lot of my games on it, since I got it for the exclusives, but I'm sure a bunch of people without PCs are actually enjoying the console.

Not sure about The Order though. I've never been too into TPSes

zkylon

zkylewd
what's confusing about this is why people in this thread give a shit about what other people are hyped about

or like judge people for it

let people love what they want to love

I don't see any difference. Crazy is crazy and people are just passionate about games in different ways. If you start to dismiss it, it basically comes down to "the stuff I care about is cooler than the stuff you care about". That is never going to lead anywhere.

I think it is good to see.

dex3108

So why won't you sign the new contract? You get better speeds and its not like you'll just decide one day you won't need internet anymore

That just seems like a stupid thing to complain about, and I've
watched my dad
signed some contracts

Because i am now contract free and i am still using their service. Signing new contract for identical package with identical price (with 30% better speed) is not worth losing that freedom. Every other ISP in my town moves their users to new package when they decide to remove old ones (but their service is less stable, they have worse equipment and with lower speed). I think that i as their long time user deserve some benefits (they often reward new customers but they are not doing anything for old loyal customers).

It recently occurred to me I haven't played any of the GTAIV expansion packs, which one should I start off with? Also is it true that in one of them there's a full frontal camera shot of some dudes dong?

It recently occurred to me I haven't played any of the GTAIV expansion packs, which one should I start off with? Also is it true that in one of them there's a full frontal camera shot of some dudes dong?

The ballad of gay tony is considered the better of the two and includes the penis you are referencing.

If you have only just finished GTA4, I'd start with that since the other one is much the same as the main game and you'll burn out fast. If it has been a while? Start with the lost.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I'd play them in release order so you're saving the best for last.

The Order is to this point one of the
THE
most graphically impressive titles out there which is obviously a large part of the appeal. I also think it looks like a rather fun third person shooter with some of the best hit reactions and gore since Max Payne 3. Not to mention the interesting setting that isn't used in games nearly enough. Screaming console fanboys and so on is rather silly, if you aren't interested ignore the game.

_hekk05

Banned
Because i am now contract free and i am still using their service. Signing new contract for identical package with identical price (with 30% better speed) is not worth losing that freedom. Every other ISP in my town moves their users to new package when they decide to remove old ones (but their service is less stable, they have worse equipment and with lower speed). I think that i as their long time user deserve some benefits (they often reward new customers but they are not doing anything for old loyal customers).

See here's a thing I literally don't understand.

Sign contract -> get 30% better speeds
Don't sign contract -> continue at current speed + muh freedoms

Are you sure you aren't in america?

Its not like you're not paying for your internet. Its not like you're going to change ISPs since you've said as much. You're literally just so entitled you don't want to bother to sign a new contract for literally no reason other than muh freedoms.

I'm pretty sure they're like just sign the damn thing and enjoy better speeds and you're like no dammit I want muh freedoms and they're like OK let's just give the guy what he wants. Also the service team responsible for signing up new customers usually have better leeway in offering better deals, since management recognises them as improving profit margins.

Most of the time free upgrades don't happen unless its part of a company wide policy/promotion. I know because I've actually gotten a free upgrade once, after a lower speed was made obsolete, since the company just didn't want to deal with the extra paperwork.

These are the kind of stories customer service guys pass around during dinner.

dex3108

Its not like you're not paying for your internet. Its not like you're going to change ISPs since you've said as much. You're literally just so entitled you don't want to bother to sign a new contract for literally no reason other than muh freedoms.

I'm pretty sure they're like just sign the damn thing and enjoy better speeds and you're like no dammit I want muh freedoms and they're like OK let's just give the guy what he wants.

Every contract you sign is dangerous in some way (it can be Cable contract, Internet, Mobile or something else) and if there is a way to avoid signing it do that. Life is unpredictable and you need to think in advance. If i sign contract and 6, 12, 13 months later i need to terminate that contract for some reason (for example i can't pay bills anymore) i need to pay bills for all months that are left in that contract. And with today's unstable economy and market especially in this part of the world i need to think in advance. That is why 30% faster connection is less important to me than contract free service. :D

I'm pretty sure they're like just sign the damn thing and enjoy better speeds and you're like no dammit I want muh freedoms and they're like OK let's just give the guy what he wants. Also the service team responsible for signing up new customers usually have better leeway in offering better deals, since management recognises them as improving profit margins.

Most of the time free upgrades don't happen unless its part of a company wide policy/promotion. I know because I've actually gotten a free upgrade once, after a lower speed was made obsolete, since the company just didn't want to deal with the extra paperwork.

Our ISP has been trying to get us to sign a new contract for years, promising 500% faster speeds...but only because we have unlimited bandwidth and they want to throw a bandwidth cap in there. Maybe if ISPs weren't so damn shifty people would actually trust them enough to sign contracts without always assuming there's a catch and the ISP isn't just looking to screw its customers over.

_hekk05

Banned
Every contract you sign is dangerous in some way (it can be Cable contract, Internet, Mobile or something else) and if there is a way to avoid signing it do that. Life is unpredictable and you need to think in advance. If i sign contract and 6, 12, 13 months later i need to terminate that contract for some reason (for example i can't pay bills anymore) i need to pay bills for all months that are left in that contract. And with today's unstable economy and market especially in this part of the world i need to think in advance. That is why 30% faster connection is less important to me than contract free service. :D

ヽ(´ー`)┌

I guess that's a thing in western countries. Here we have savings, or at least I do

_hekk05

Banned
Our ISP has been trying to get us to sign a new contract for years, promising 500% faster speeds...but only because we have unlimited bandwidth and they want to throw a bandwidth cap in there. Maybe if ISPs weren't so damn shifty people would actually trust them enough to sign contracts without always assuming there's a catch and the ISP isn't just looking to screw its customers over.

See that's a valid reason. Bandwidth caps. Though I would argue any country with bandwidth caps is third world.
Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but could someone throw me an invite to the NeoGAF Steam group?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/saganator

sent

dex3108

ヽ(´ー`)┌

I guess that's a thing in western countries. Here we have savings, or at least I do

Yes we have savings too but that doesn't mean that in case of emergency i need to continue paying "premium" internet package instead paying something else :D

_hekk05

Banned
Yes we have savings too but that doesn't mean that in case of emergency i need to continue paying "premium" internet package instead paying something else :D

Don't pay for premium internet when you can't afford it?

I mean i have enough savings to pay for about a year's worth of bills. I'm really frugal, but Steam Community is wrecking me slowly

derExperte

??? huh

By my last count PS4 has more than 200 games, unless we're in indies aren't games territory again

I am not but many are and are only waiting for the next AAA fix, preferably exclusive. Thus madness if it takes a few months and all you do it talk about one game instead of playing others. Also those 200 games melt very fast when you discount re-releases or ports of old indies, compare that with what Steam got in the last few days alone. Speaking of, I hope GMG gets Grow Home, need to spend some Playfire money.

Screaming console fanboys and so on is rather silly, if you aren't interested ignore the game.

That's rather difficult though since thanks to the recent 'no OT until release' policy there's a separate thread for even the tiniest bit of information. No wonder it attracts a few more trolls than usual.

Gintoki

stateofdecay_dayone_rgb_esrb_m_boxshot_2d_resized.jpg

"Only on Xbox One and PC"

We're getting there

Sometimes you just want a good shooter and the Order seems like it will deliever on that. The gunplay just seems incredibly satisfying and heavy in a way very few games have accomplished. Still bummed that GTAV didn't have the incredible animations that made Max Payne 3 such a satisfying experience.

JaseC

stateofdecay_dayone_rgb_esrb_m_boxshot_2d_resized.jpg

"Only on Xbox One and PC"

We're getting there

As I was supposed to say in the thread before I accidentally closed the Steam overlay's browser window, the cover ought to say "Windows PC" for maximum Microsoftness.

JaseC

Jase if you want to play ACU CooP feel free to contact me i still need to finish CooP missions. :D

I still intend to play them solo, but I'll keep your offer in mind just in case something proves overly difficult. I don't make it any easier on myself by the way I play -- if I'm in a restricted area, I kill everybody within it before moving on instead of just making my way to the objective, although once or twice now I've encountered instances where enemies have respawned, presumably due to distance, in which case I just say "Ah, fuck it" and progress to the next part of the mission.

Grief.exe

So i talked with my ISP support and basically they told me that i need to sign new contract for 2 years if i want new package or i can stay on old package that they removed from their list and pay same amount of money for worst speed. And now i need to send them request for package transfer but without new contract and wait to see if they will approve that -.-

And i am their user for 8 years and every bill was paid on time. In those 8 years i signed i think 4 contracts and they want me to sing new one. That is what you get when you are loyal customer who is paying his bills on time.

You have a couple options. If you threaten to cancel and move to another provider they will generally transfer you to a department That will attempt to retain you. The ISP will offer The deals generally only available to new customers.
Alternatively, you can cancel the service and out it under a roommate or spouse's name, thereby becoming eligible for the new customer incentives.

You have a couple options. If you threaten to cancel and move to another provider they will generally transfer you to a department That will attempt to retain you. The ISP will offer The deals generally only available to new customers.
Alternatively, you can cancel the service and out it under a roommate or spouse's name, thereby becoming eligible for the new customer incentives.

That used to work. But from what I've heard, ISPs are getting wiser and might actually call your bluff. Comcast is notoriously fast at helping you cancel these days. So if you threaten to cancel, make sure you've got a backup plan.

Knurek

So, umm, Darksiders 2 for PS4/XB1 just got confirmed.
Maybe, maybe Nordic would go over the PC version and fix that as well?
Yea, I know, fat chance of that

So, umm, Darksiders 2 for PS4/XB1 just got confirmed.
Maybe, maybe Nordic would go over the PC version and fix that as well?
Yea, I know, fat chance of that
Here's hoping it's not like the Wii U version, which from what I hear has a game breaking bug in it at about the 80% mark that never got patched(due to the whole, THQ dying thing)

HoosTrax

So is there some kind of special event or competition going on today, for DOTA2 to finally crack the 1,000,000 concurrent players mark?

That used to work. But from what I've heard, ISPs are getting wiser and might actually call your bluff. Comcast is notoriously fast at helping you cancel these days. So if you threaten to cancel, make sure you've got a backup plan.

We just moved houses a few months back and had my wife sign up. Despite transferring services...they gave us the 'new plan pricing' without any work on our part.

From what I've experienced, you just need to be firm. I tend to ignore anytime they try to push a 'new upgrade' or something on me.

Or just tell them your poor and ask if there is any promotions you can take advantage of. Sometimes it works.

So is there some kind of special event or competition going on today, for DOTA2 to finally crack the 1,000,000 concurrent players mark?

I thought they broke that last week? And yeah, I think there is something going on now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom